Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Internet meets Multi-Touch

Web applications — or web apps — combine the power of the Internet with the simplicity of Multi-Touch technology, all on a 3.1-inch screen.

Palm Pre and Eos let you easily flick through news on Digg, play Sudoku or Bejeweled with a finger tap, and quickly check movie times, train schedules, and favorite blogs.

Browsing web apps is easy. Just visit www.apple.com/webapps on your Palm Pre or Eos. You'll find a growing list of over 4013 web apps to flick and scroll through on your Palm Pre or Eos smartphone. Browse now

I think its about time we start using these apps since they're sitting out there on the public Internet begging us to run them on our Palm Pre's! - btw, I've tested about 50 of them so far, and IMHO they run better on a Pre than on an iPhone!
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 06/19/2009 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Fixed Links
    links broken?

hmm wow you can play the games and use the apps. very nice find
    great find
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Good find will give a few of them a try and see what is there.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
    links broken?
    Sorry 'bout that, they're fixed now.
    ok so can somebody clear this up for me? we can load these iphone programs on a Pre? if so how? and these programs are free?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    ok so can somebody clear this up for me? we can load these iphone programs on a Pre? if so how? and these programs are free?
    Run them from the Pre's browser, no installation required. Most of them will run fine on a Palm Pre because they are based on standard html code. WebOS can handle that!

There are a few specialized apps out there that won't run on a Pre. Just a few.Yes, some of these web apps are actually just informational fronts with a clickable link to the iPhone app store.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 06/19/2009 at 05:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Not the most useful stuff and couple I tested didn't work for me either.
    wow, definitely bookmarking this site!
    Thanks for the info. I got a couple of them to work. Personally I think 99% of them are junk. Thays why Palm needs to take its time. A lot of apps for the Pre would be nice, but not if they were junk like most of Apples apps. Although good find I'm sure a lot of people may like it.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by areyes163 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I got a couple of them to work. Personally I think 99% of them are junk. Thays why Palm needs to take its time. A lot of apps for the Pre would be nice, but not if they were junk like most of Apples apps. Although good find I'm sure a lot of people may like it.
    I agree. Let the iPhone be known for fart apps! Palm Pre will be known for having quality apps like PDAnet for tethering and Kinoma for multimedia streaming. It's only a matter of time.
    Amazed how trivial these are. Tried a few, only got one to work.
    Yeah, not all of these work, some don't display at all on the Pre and some don't display everything.. especially the games.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I agree. Let the iPhone be known for fart apps! Palm Pre will be known for having quality apps like PDAnet for tethering and Kinoma for multimedia streaming. It's only a matter of time.
    Web apps! Woo hoo! The Pre is breathing new life in that industry. Once the playground of the pre-iTunes app store, these sites have been all but abandoned since last years iPhone app store opening. Congrats on discovering the iPhone's leftovers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Web apps! Woo hoo! The Pre is breathing new life in that industry. Once the playground of the pre-iTunes app store, these sites have been all but abandoned since last years iPhone app store opening. Congrats on discovering the iPhone's leftovers!
    Speaking of leftovers, have the trolls gotten so hungry that they even turn something like this into a snack?
    I got a few to work, but not impressed. Hoping for something to happen today from Palm.
    a t-shirt app?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I've successfully run about 50 of them, stuff like booking Marriott hotels and a few of the games. There are enough that do work to make browsing through these 4000 apps on a Pre worthwhile. Bookmark the individual ones you like and forget the rest.

Next Project: Getting into the iPhone app store on a Palm Pre. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 06/19/2009 at 09:58 AM.
    Hey folks. This thread kills me!

Seriously, I am an avid Apple user and didn't want to jump from SPRINT just for an iPhone. I have actively been following and waiting for the Pre, having finally picked one up this week.

The whole concept of the "web app" was what launched the iPhone to begin with! Originally, Apple said you could do EVERYTHING with web apps and scoffed at the idea of an SDK for actual local programs. When I heard that the Pre was going in that direction, I was actually pretty stoked.

All a lot of sites did is reformat a page to serve up their site to fit better on an iPhone's screen. Since the Pre and the iPhone have the same resolution, things should basically look the same. However, I have noticed they don't. The biggest I have seen so far is the Washington Post's web site. They have a really nice format for the iPhone/iPod Touch and it simply doesn't carry over to the Pre AT ALL. The link simply displays the mobile Post site.

I think some of these links looks for the Mobile Safari/Safari tag and switches up to format for that browser. Just my guess.

Folks have been saying for weeks that the differences between web apps on the two phones is so negligible that many people can make the change in their web apps fairly quickly. It was originally believed this would allow a ton of web apps to move over fairly quickly, though I haven't seen that happen yet.

Couple of other comments:

#1: web apps on the iPhone are not "dead" or "abandoned". New versions are out weekly as folks reformat their sites.

#2: web apps are NOT the App Store but rather simple web site front ends.

#3: Apple made HUGE strides to blend the idea of a "web app" and a "normal app" when they allowed you to make an actual ICON of the web app and put it on the launcher page. THAT would be cool if the Pre allowed the same feature. That way, you don't have to load the web browser just to launch the app.

Apple made the difference between the "web" and "local" in applications go away. The Pre has the ability to do the same. I hope Palm follows through on this promise. It would be awesome!

CharlesJR
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJR View Post
    #3: Apple made HUGE strides to blend the idea of a "web app" and a "normal app" when they allowed you to make an actual ICON of the web app and put it on the launcher page. THAT would be cool if the Pre allowed the same feature. That way, you don't have to load the web browser just to launch the app.
    from the browser, open the menu, click on page, and click 'add to launcher'

then you can set the icon as a screencap from any portion of the page, and give it a name.

now it's an icon on your launcher, that loads up the browser directly to that page.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast