Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Has anyone else noticed that if you don't have Wireless SSID Broadcast set to on then your Pre won't remember your WiFi information and automatically log you into your network? This is extremely annoying and I think needs to be addressed in the next ROM.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Not seeing that myself-- the work wifi doesn't broadcast, and I reconnect without any issues...
    My home wifi network connects fine too.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    My home wifi network connects fine too.
    So you are saying that it connects fine without you have to reenter the SSID and password?
    Non-BSSID confirmed to work fine on my Pre as well.
    Yeah mine works.
    Works for me as well w/o broadcasting the SSID.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I have the same problem. If SSID is enabled, the Pre connects quickly, without the need to enter password, etc. With SSID turned off, it won't see or connect to the network. I may try a reset later.
    Mine always connects to the one at work that doesn't broadcast.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Mine logs in fine too without broadcasting. I have a Linksys WRT600N with no encryption if that helps.
    By the way, just want to mention that I hope nobody is disabling SSID broadcasting as a security measure. Just because the beacon isn't sent out does NOT mean that the network is undiscoverable.

MAC filtering and disabling SSID broadcast are the 2 common things that offer no security but people perceive that they do.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Interesting that this is working for some people and not for others. On my home network if I disable the broadcast SSID then I have to put in the password and SSID into my pre to get it to connect.
    I will also try a reset and see if that fixes it.
    I don't have a problem with this. My home network has SSID broadcasting disabled and my Pre auto-connects to it everytime.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    By the way, just want to mention that I hope nobody is disabling SSID broadcasting as a security measure. Just because the beacon isn't sent out does NOT mean that the network is undiscoverable.

MAC filtering and disabling SSID broadcast are the 2 common things that offer no security but people perceive that they do.
    It might not, but at least it's better than not doing those 2 things. Of course a password helps too.
    Quote Originally Posted by nxp3 View Post
    It might not, but at least it's better than not doing those 2 things. Of course a password helps too.
    My point if you use WPA/WPA2 or WEP if you can't do WPA, they do nothing extra for you as far as security.

Anyone using airsnort or the equivalent can find that info as it is all sent out in plain text and bypass VERY easily within a few minutes. So someone that knows what they are doing will get right by it. For those worried that someone might just accidentally associate with your AP, just setting encryption deters that and anyone that does know how to attempt to hack the encryption will already know how to bypass MAC filtering or a disabled SSID broadcast.

Anyway this is getting way off-topic but hopefully useful info for someone to help with understanding wireless security.
    Sure they do. They keep the casual hacker from bothering with your network.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post

Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    but they don't because they are easier to defeat than encryption, so if you already have encryption on you have already guarded against the casual hacker.

If someone is not using encryption, then by all means do these but that isnt a smart idea.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    No, even the most basic sniffing tools show you SSID's that are hidden. Plus, you don't need to know a network's SSID to see unencrypted packets flying through the air. There is absolutely no useful reason for disabling SSID broadcast! It provides zero security, and only serves to cause problems for some devices connecting. (Windows XP used to have a nasty problem with connecting to non-broadcasted SSID's - that has since been fixed I believe) As long as you enable WPA (or better) encryption, the rest is generally unnecessary and a waste of time.

It's shame that router configuration software still allows this stuff to be configured. There's still way too many people that fall into the trap of thinking they're securing their network by disabling SSID or using MAC filtering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    No, even the most basic sniffing tools show you SSID's that are hidden. Plus, you don't need to know a network's SSID to see unencrypted packets flying through the air. There is absolutely no useful reason for disabling SSID broadcast! It provides zero security, and only serves to cause problems for some devices connecting. (Windows XP used to have a nasty problem with connecting to non-broadcasted SSID's - that has since been fixed I believe)

As long as you enable WPA (or better) encryption, the rest is generally unnecessary and a waste of time.
    Thank you

Didn't want to get off-topic but there is alot of misinformation out there about wireless security. The same can be said for MAC filtering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    No, even the most basic sniffing tools show you SSID's that are hidden. Plus, you don't need to know a network's SSID to see unencrypted packets flying through the air. There is absolutely no useful reason for disabling SSID broadcast! It provides zero security, and only serves to cause problems for some devices connecting. (Windows XP used to have a nasty problem with connecting to non-broadcasted SSID's - that has since been fixed I believe) As long as you enable WPA (or better) encryption, the rest is generally unnecessary and a waste of time.

It's shame that router configuration software still allows this stuff to be configured. There's still way too many people that fall into the trap of thinking they're securing their network by disabling SSID or using MAC filtering.
    That's all good info and stuff I didn't know. I do use encryption, but also disable the SSID and use MAC filtering. Plus I built a moat around the house.

Back on topic; the second time I tried to connect to my home network I had to put the info back in, but since then it connects automatically.