Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1000 developers in private beta and 30 apps out?

i certainly hope they are saving them for tomorrow

today my iphone officially became an i minus the phone.

I hope palm doesnt start dissapointing with the lack of apps approved or made.
    I agree its been very weak and quite on updates
    Quality, not quantity. Methinks Palm does not want an app store full of BS like Apple's.
  4.    #4  
    Yeah I get that but honestly not a single app in a week? no way if its so easy to develop for it that none of those developers have a quality app going
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    Quality, not quantity. Methinks Palm does not want an app store full of BS like Apple's.
    I'm not a developer so maybe I am overstepping here, but if there are 1,000 developers I find it hard to believe that they can only come up with 30 quality apps. There has to be more than meets the eye.
    I am loving Where myself. Does the job of a few apps in one but I agree, the floodgates need to be opened!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    You know Palm probably keeps and eye on this forum and the internet in general for a look at public opinion. People were generally complaining about the same things on the sprint live facebook discussion today. updates, apps, text forwarding, video, flash, etc. I hope they are taking it to heart and picking up the pace.
    I'm wondering what the approval process is like I've heard from several developers like Spaz stating they've submitted updates to Palm but sill hasn't seen light of day on the app store.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I'm wondering what the approval process is like I've heard from several developers like Spaz stating they've submitted updates to Palm but sill hasn't seen light of day on the app store.
    not a good sign, if its as random and weird as apple or worse

not a good sign

Spaz has a decent app but its too slow, Tweed is faster but has less features
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    The software development kit has not been released. Without an SDK how is anyone supposed to develop applications? Look for a flood of apps a few weeks after the SDK drops.

I've got some ideas for a few simple but useful apps so I signed up for an SDK.

If you would like to become a developer or hang out with the developers in your area check out predevcamp.org. They're gearing up for events around the world on August 08th, 2009.
    Obscura
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscura View Post
    The software development kit has not been released. Without an SDK how is anyone supposed to develop applications? Look for a flood of apps a few weeks after the SDK drops.

I've got some ideas for a few simple but useful apps so I signed up for an SDK.

If you would like to become a developer or hang out with the developers in your area check out predevcamp.org. They're gearing up for events around the world on August 08th, 2009.
    Palm claimed 1000 developers received the early SDK.
    SDK has been released, just not to the public. Why the hell they are sitting on this is anyone's guess, but any reason is not a good one. Complain about iFart apps all you want, but you can be sure there are more than 30 useful apps in every competitor's (Apple, Android, BB) app store. Sure, they may not have had lots of apps at the start, but someone buying a device today (as opposed to a couple years ago) has options.

The more they wait, the more likely the Pre will fail. I hate to say it, but it's probably true (and is the consensus of most editorial reviews of the Pre).
    How about they at least port android and iphone apps over...please! The coding shouldn't be so incredibly different or difficult for programmers
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    Palm doesnt have either one right now. There isnt a single Pre app that doesnt exist in a better more polished form on iPhone. And then there are 49970 more apps for iPhone, some junk, some amazing.

The app store and its selection has been one of my biggest disappointments so far. Weak reception, mediocre build quality, barely adequate battery life... all things you kinda expected from Palm if you have owned any of their previous devices. But apps were supposed to be something the Pre would just do better. It was supposed to be so easy and fast to make apps that anyone could do it. Well, where are they?

I can hear the responses now: "go back to Apple you isheep" "the pre just came out, it isnt fair to compare it to iPhone" "blah blah blah".

It just doesnt matter. Palm needs to fix this fast or webOS will die. Get apps out the door. Let us know what the roadmap for updates and new apps looks like. Get the SDK out the door. Lets see some freakin urgency Palm, you jobs really do depend on it!
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    Palm claimed 1000 developers received the early SDK.
    Hmmm... I hadn't seen that. Perhaps many were curious but few were serious? Could there be a very difficult code review to get accepted into the catalog?

I'm impressed with the phone and operating system. I've got no doubt that we'll see some interesting and useful applications.
    Obscura
    I have to agree. I mean, come on: the Pre's been out now for over 90 days and there are only 30 apps? That's insane, Palm! I can understand only 30 apps during the few weeks after launch while WebOS bugs are worked out, the App Catalog is tested, and initial reponse to apps can be measured. But 90 days or more?!?

Yeesh. FAIL!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I have to agree. I mean, come on: the Pre's been out now for over 90 days and there are only 30 apps? That's insane, Palm! I can understand only 30 apps during the few weeks after launch while WebOS bugs are worked out, the App Catalog is tested, and initial reponse to apps can be measured. But 90 days or more?!?

Yeesh. FAIL!
    Wait what? Pre's been out for 90 days? What world do you live in?
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Lol, this forum might beat the average alien forum in the amount of conspiracy theories posted per day..
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Since the upcoming update is rumored to deal with battery life, I wonder if Palm may be waiting before it floods the app cat with a ton of complicated, energy-sucking apps.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    the Pre's been out now for over 90 days and there are only 30 apps?
    ummmm.... in what time space continuum does June 6th to June 18 = 90 days???

I'm I missing something here?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast