Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by s0urce View Post
    Wait what? Pre's been out for 90 days? What world do you live in?
    In some MMO's, the day/night cycle takes like 3 hours, so maybe this guy is counting days on Norrath or something.

Maybe the SDK isn't ready? I mean they didn't want to release the phone until it was solid, they probably don't want to release an SDK until it will run on all the advertised systems. Better to be right rather than first, ask Blizzard.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    1000 developers in private beta and 30 apps out?

i certainly hope they are saving them for tomorrow

today my iphone officially became an i minus the phone.

I hope palm doesnt start dissapointing with the lack of apps approved or made.
    I think you have misinformation there, dude. I never read anywhere that Palm had 1,000 developers in private beta. What does is exist is about 1,000 developers in the predevcamp AWAITING the SDK! So what we have are 1,000 developers in the wings, NOT working on private beta.

Only a very select group are in the private beta and I don't know how many nor have I read anywhere how many.
    I'd put my money on a clog in the system somewhere...maybe there is a patent issue or something with the payment system? I'm not making excuses, but I'd bet that are plenty of apps waiting somewhere....
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    WebOS is not going to die, the Pre is built on more than its ability to have applications. It's about providing seamless integration of your work and personal lives.

I am willing to bet that Palm is being rather selective in which apps are brought into the app store, because if they're not, people will be on the forums complaining again.

Just be patient!
    Last edited by korionmorris; 06/19/2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: forgot a word :/
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    From the horse's mouth:

"A unique opportunity for developers

Only a select few partners received the initial release of the Mojo SDK. Now we’re expanding access to it, which could mean access for you. If you’re interested in participating, complete the application at the link below. Not everyone will receive the Mojo SDK right away. But when you do, you’ll see how easy it is to develop for the Palm webOS™ platform."

Check out developer.palm.com

As I said previously, the 1,000 developers are WAITING IN THE WINGS FOR THE SDK.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    As others said, I bet it's a combination of dealing with nagging issues like battery life while still trying to sort out kinks in the App Catalog. It is still in beta and they're probably working through optimization, a payment system, or some other things behind the scenes. I have heard that several services such as Blip.fm are looking into the possibility of developing for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsackr View Post
    ummmm.... in what time space continuum does June 6th to June 18 = 90 days???

I'm I missing something here?
    What you are missing is the sarcasm...
    It's gonna take time. No major company will do anything without the sdk. You don't waste resource without it. Once they have it, doesn't mean they will proceed with developing overnight. Like skype, they are taking a wait and see approach before going ahead with a webos version. Dunno why but all companies have their reason. And also they have other platforms too work on... Android platform and also bb app store and winmo. Webos looks promising and of course you all think developers should be running to get apps out over the android or bb apps to go against iPhone but these guys don't care about that. They care about getting their stuff out to greatest audience for max exposure. Of course right now that means apples tens of million of owners then others. Look at android and bb and see how long they waited for some of the apps you want. Look how long they are still waiting or wishing for stuff like MLB at bat. You guys are getting your hopes up too high to think it's going to happen overnight when the sdk is release. Once the sdk is realeased the first apps out will be the homegrown and simple ones... Light, palm-fart, etc. Big companies will go thru their process.

Palm really messed up in not getting the sdk out sooner. I think they dropped the ball in releasing the phone because they could be selling massive numbers if they wanted to and that will get developers to look at the platform with more interest. But with pre numbers less than the others like storm and android I can understand why no rush on their end. And especially.... No sdk out yet
    :Sigh: We all want apps, just as much as the people screaming and crying about Palm's demise. Have any of you considered the possibility that Palm *might* want WebOS stable, efficient, and bug free before they start stressing the core OS with apps and releasing the SDK? Maybe they DID learn a lesson from PalmOS and don't want to duct tape another OS together for 10 years.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    :Sigh: We all want apps, just as much as the people screaming and crying about Palm's demise. Have any of you considered the possibility that Palm *might* want WebOS stable, efficient, and bug free before they start stressing the core OS with apps and releasing the SDK? Maybe they DID learn a lesson from PalmOS and don't want to duct tape another OS together for 10 years.

You see one thing you DONT get when you are 2 years late to a party is the ability to wait around and take your time.

Apple had the luxury of being the first and hence they were slow to ramp up.

Palm is coming here trying to push their way into this race. They have to be a bit faster.

I am all for quality and all that but no apps at all in a whole week. iPhone 3GS release week even, is not good.

I may have misread about the 1000 developers then. Still seems like the private beta people were the apps I h ave seen so far. Those were the BEST applicants? The apps so far are very lacking compared to their Android and CERTAINLY compared to their iphone counterparts.

I LOVE the phone. I dont even mind the cheap feeling build. I Love the OS.

Being in software myself I understand release cycles and making sure to release quality over quantity. I just hope that they are not so far behind due to working on quality that it will take 6 months before this ramps up.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    You see one thing you DONT get when you are 2 years late to a party is the ability to wait around and take your time....
    Very well said!

I've written about 22 or so commercial applications (solely, not on a dev team). Everything from video chat, image editing, to html editors. I'm still waiting to get the SDK. It's frustrating.

The really should have had something that people could have started developing with when the phone came out.
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
    Very well said!

I've written about 22 or so commercial applications (solely, not on a dev team). Everything from video chat, image editing, to html editors. I'm still waiting to get the SDK. It's frustrating.

The really should have had something that people could have started developing with when the phone came out.
    Agreed, it leads me to believe that the SDK was not in good shape at all if they did not want to let developers see it.

I mean its development! Programmers deal with many bad frameworks or applications.

If they did not want to release it earlier it means it must not have been even close to completion.
    Honestly how many developers that put in a lot of man hours to develop a product want it to be released for free in BETA application? Lets be honest a lot of developers want to get paid. A lot of the apps that have been released are what should be free apps. If I were a developer I would want to make sure that Palm has all the glitches out of their app catalog before I put my application up there. I think it's logical.
    Cellphone History- Audiovox CDM9155> Sanyo 5150>Samsung SCH-1000>Samsung N400> PalmTreo 300> Palm Treo 600>Palm Treo 700P> Palm Centro> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    get over guys ,
    it will take another six months before we start seeing any quality apps.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Hmm... 3gs available today, imagine 50 "good" apps (and 3 farting apps, and one lightsaber app) hitting the catalog today.. hehe.....
    is anyone thinking about picking up the iphone 3gs today just because of lack of applications. I mean I love the pre but how long can we possible wait. I know a bunch of you fanboys will start trashing me for saying this but Palm doesn't have time like Apple did so please don't turn this into palm vs apple comparison thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    get over guys ,
    it will take another six months before we start seeing any quality apps.
    LMAO not for me. Ill go with something else and check back when they get better hardware....
    Apple figured out quickly after opening up the App Store where revenue and phone sales are driven from: Unique apps coming out and updated on a daily/weekly basis.

You can go on and on all day about getting the core apps stable and feature-rich, but in order to sell hundreds of thousands more Pre's, Palm needs to get apps out the door which means the SDK into developer hands.

It's business for masses here. I have an iPod Touch 2nd gen, and it almost becomes fun to check out all the new and updated apps everyday. And quality games, utilities, and productivity apps priced at not much more than $.99 or so makes it easy for me to hit the Buy button more times than not.

It's the apps. It was nice for Palm to release the apps they did the first few days after the Pre was released, but it has been a huge downer going multiple days without seeing new items. Consumer attention spans are so short today; you've got to feed them continually or they will move on.

I'm sure there are more than a few current owners trying to decide if they are going to keep their Pre; having a few fun/productive apps appear in the catalog each day would help that decision go Palm's way.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    As one of those who had to return a Pre because of the "Restart required" error that tells you you're logged out of your palm profile, I must say that I'm increasingly worried about the app store. For me and others with this bug, a visit to the Palm app store was very often the trigger for our phones to crash. It makes me wonder whether Palm is having technical problems with the app store that it doesn't want to publicize.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    ...I know a bunch of you fanboys will start trashing me for saying this but Palm doesn't have time like Apple did so please don't turn this into palm vs apple comparison thread.
    That last sentence is rich.

I agree that more apps now would be nice, but I'm not overly worried from what I am hearing from people as to how nice the environment appears to be. If we pass the 60 day mark and we haven't seen anything of value show up in the App Catalog or via third parties then I will start to worry.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast