Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm going to put on my fanboy hat today and ask: wouldn't it be great if Palm were holding onto an update and a whole bunch of great apps so that they could be released tomorrow to take some of the spotlight away from iPhone launch day? Wouldn't it be great if all those iPhone fanboys came home after waiting 6 hours in line for their marginal yawner incremental update to find out that a whole bunch of fantastic stuff had been added to the Pre?

Hey, it's not that far fetched. Palm released the Pre just a few days before when they knew the new iPhone would be announced. Maybe they'll also give us some good stuff tomorrow when the new iPhone is actually released?

(Darn it, I spelled "launch" wrong.)
    Yes, it would be hilarious. I wouldn't put it past them considering the Easter egg and funny tidbits left behind by the devs. However, in reality, probably not gonna happen.
    Well I'd be pumped if they did. I'd be even more bonkers if they had an os update tomorrow to go along with it. Get those battery and reception issues fixed. I don't want to return this at the end of the month.
    I was thinking this as well. Seems to line up with the rumors of the updates coming this week as well. That would be awesome.

Facebook app will probably be one of those apps if this is true.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, you figure there has to be a reason we haven't seen a new app in a week. Palm's saving 'em for tomorrow!
    While this could be true..you'd think Palm would have wanted to do it before people had already made the decision to get the new iPhone. Timing could be an issue though.

Wouldn't it be great if tons of people returned their iphones the next day though? LOL

I love to hate Apple.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I'm not expecting too much.
    I love a good conspiracy. Yes, big update tomorrow! Video! 100% better battery! Multi-MMS/SMS with Forwarding! Customizable EVERYTHING.

Probably not, though. Shame. I'd be happy with just the SDK.
    i would not count on it
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    While this could be true..you'd think Palm would have wanted to do it before people had already made the decision to get the new iPhone. Timing could be an issue though.

Wouldn't it be great if tons of people returned their iphones the next day though? LOL

I love to hate Apple.
    The reason I think this could be true is for all the free publicity it would generate. Every news story that talked about the iPhone release (and there will be a lot) will naturally have to mention:
    "But Apple has some competition. Earlier today Palm announced that it released a major software update for their Pre smartphone giving it an even bigger edge over the iPhone. Palm also announced the availability of more than 80 new apps for the Pre's app catalog, including many business apps and 3D games!"
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    The reason I think this could be true is for all the free publicity it would generate. Every news story that talked about the iPhone release (and there will be a lot) will naturally have to mention:
    "But Apple has some competition. Earlier today Palm announced that it released a major software update for their Pre smartphone giving it an even bigger edge over the iPhone. Palm also announced the availability of more than 80 new apps for the Pre's app catalog, including many business apps and 3D games!"
    I like it
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    I like it
    Me too! Maybe if we all wish hard enough when we go to sleep tonight it will come true!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    The thought crossed my mind too. Lets keep our fingers crossed!
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

[fingers crossed]
    Yes this would be a great strategy by Palm. I hope so!
    First, Palm is not worried about the fanboys standing in line for iPhone the same way Apple wasn't worried about the people standing in line for a Pre. Those groups weren't winnable anyway.

My speculation is they have asked developers to hold off on new apps until they are tested with the OS update that is being beta-tested at the moment. Would hate to launch a new app (or update) only to have the new OS update crash it.

That would explain the dead silence from all involved.

Now, whether they can time all this to coincide with 3Gs - I doubt it. Again, the point would only be to grab press as the iPhone fanboys will be in line anyway. Palm and Apple are fighting for those on the fence and that group is largely waiting to see if Palm can get some apps and solve some of the major complaints. They're looking at the speed and functionality of 3Gs and they are contemplating the price of the plans.

Apple will continue to do well with the media-centric players and Palm with the PIM-centric players. I actually think Palm's biggest inroads should be against RIM. They need to make the EAS support bulletbproof before that's an option, but with Pre and Pixie, that should be a good combo for crackberry types who want their Synergy and multi-tasking.
    The other problem is that they are very strict with who is getting an SDK. I have a feeling, even though they have taken apps that not to many people have gotten them.
    Devices: Blackberry 7130, 8130, 8330, HTC Touch Pro, Treo 600, 700wx, Pro, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    "And in other news today, Sprint's 3G network came crashing down as 150,000 Palm Pre users simultaneously rushed to download the first highly anticipated software update. Sprint executives claim it could be weeks before the network is stable again. So much for improved reception in 1.0.3. Back to you, Sally!"
    Rotflmao
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Would be nice, but let's be realistic. New OS, and alot of people aren't getting the SDK. There is an upcoming update but I doubt it will do any damage to iPhone sales.
    I really wish that it would happen tho. Maybe I'm just being "negative" in a way so that I don't get let down. I think its more of being a realist.

(crossing fingers on the inside tho)...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast