Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Unfortunately I'm in the UK but don't have a Pre but was wondering after seeing the CNET Asia clip of the Pre booting up in around 1 min 40 which I thought was a real long time.

Why is the Pre taking so long to boot up?

Will new firmware be able to speed this up? Or is this one of the consequences of the web/os?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I got mine with 1.02 already installed so I didn't have a chance to compare it. It's not a big deal for me because I do not boot up my phone every day or every week. What matters is that it's faster than the iPhone in opening up web pages and sending photos.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Bootup time is really not important at all. The only time you need to boot from a complete shutdown is when you replace your battery. I haven't done a full boot up since my phone was turned on first on June 6th.
    If I were in the UK right now, I would not consider myself unfortunate....
    This is a non-issue I would say. The Pre takes a while to boot up if you do a hard reset or replace the battery, sure, but its not unlike the long bootup times of other phones like blackberry. In day to day use, you should never really need to cold boot the Pre. I've cold booted mine only once in the past week, and that was when I switched backplates to the one that came with the touchstone charger, and lifted the battery out just to snoop.
    Last edited by odditory; 06/18/2009 at 08:59 PM.
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    The boot time is the same as it was before the firmware update but personally I never turn the phone off so it makes no difference to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by joelvds View Post
    Bootup time is really not important at all. The only time you need to boot from a complete shutdown is when you replace your battery. I haven't done a full boot up since my phone was turned on first on June 6th.
    Or when the phone resets itself.
    blackberries take even longer. Just something to deal with on a smartphone. How often you need to boot up anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    blackberries take even longer. Just something to deal with on a smartphone. How often you need to boot up anyway?
    Yeah I've seen the Curve and Storm start up and they seem to take forever to start up. My Treo 755p takes about 1:05 to start up.

It wasn't actually CNET Asia by the way. The dude was just messing around because it was an all Asian group. lol.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    G1 takes a year to boot up
    So, uhhhhh, do you turn your phone off when you're not using it? Didn't think so.
    All Blackberry's take forever to start up.

I'm beginning to think all Smart Phones just take a while to boot. But blackberry's are encroaching 3 minutes.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Unfortunately I'm in the UK but don't have a Pre but was wondering after seeing the CNET Asia clip of the Pre booting up in around 1 min 40 which I thought was a real long time.

Why is the Pre taking so long to boot up?

Will new firmware be able to speed this up? Or is this one of the consequences of the web/os?
    Why would you reboot the phone? I haven't needed to since I bought mine.
    The answer is yes, it still takes that long. However, the people who chimed up in the threads aren't being fanboys when they say it doesn't matter, or other phones are longer. Since October I've had 6 cell phones (two Curves, a G1, Bold, iPhone, and Pre) and the iPhone was the fastest, G1 was the slowest. That really should never be a selling point, because unless you're using a compromised OS (hacked G1 or BB OS's) you really aren't going to need to restart your phone.
    Nobody expects to have to reboot there phone once booted, so it's a non issue
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Or when the phone resets itself.
    Yeah, what's going on with that? Mine has been randomly resetting when I close the slider.

Boot time does come into play when it resets on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
    Yeah, what's going on with that? Mine has been randomly resetting when I close the slider.

Boot time does come into play when it resets on its own.
    Are you aware of this article about slider crashes?
    http://www.precentral.net/slider-cra...gyver-solution
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    I timed my Blackberry Storm with a stopwatch just before I got the Pre.

Boot time with the latest firmware was FIVE minutes.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    Are you aware of this article about slider crashes?
    I had not seen it... thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.
    It's slow because it uses a linux os and the Pre acts like a mini-computer to load the os into memory (that's the answer I got from Palm).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast