1.    #1  
    I've been transferring videos to the Pre for the past few days to watch during my commute. From PC to the Pre it consistently seems to max out around 2 megabytes a second, however reading is around 12. When transferring 1 to 2 gigs, that is really slow. Anybody else getting similar speeds, or is it just me?

By the way, I had the Pre set up in drive mode, not media sync.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Are you using a USB2.0 connection? You may have a USB2.0 connection on your computer but the firmware for it may not be installed. I had a USB2.0 connection but did not install the firmware so it was SUPER slow. Once I installed the USB2.0 drivers it went alot faster.
    Pretty sure he has a USB2.0 connection, 1.2 is ancient. The limitation lies in the Pre's ability to write to the internal memory, not with your PC.
    Yeah, I've noticed this too. And of course you get to miss phone calls and texts while waiting the eternity for your media to load.

But there is hope. Already you can easily "root" your Pre and and install a secure server (Dropbear is the best for the Pre) which will allow you to copy your music over securely over WiFi while still being able to use your Pre at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed this too. And of course you get to miss phone calls and texts while waiting the eternity for your media to load.

But there is hope. Already you can easily "root" your Pre and and install a secure server (Dropbear is the best for the Pre) which will allow you to copy your music over securely over WiFi while still being able to use your Pre at the same time.
    Still not going to help. It's limited by the hardware.
    Known issue pre-launch. Not getting fixed - I think.
    thought it was ok
  8.    #8  
    I definitely have USB 2.0 working properly because I transfer to other devices at much higher speeds. It just seems really hard to believe that the top write speed is around 2 megs a sec.

I was kind of excited about USB 3.0, but USB 2.0 tops out at 50 megs a sec (400mbps/8), and I'm yet to run into anything that really takes advantage of that speed.

But man, I can't get over that 2 megs a sec lol.
    I'm having this issue, too. Over at everythingpre, I found this fix: everythingpre.***com***/forum/palm-pre/tip-for-anyone-with-slow-transfer-speed-21005.html (can't post a link because I'm new here? WTF? remove ***s to get link)

For anyone experiencing slow transfer speed while the pre is connected to your PC you should disable Windows write cache buffer flushing.

Go to device manager - disk drives then go to properties for the pre and disable it. I went from a transfer speed of 2MB to near 90MB.
    I haven't been able to try it yet because I'm at work and don't have admin rights to be able to use device manager on my locked-down work desktop, but I'm looking forward to trying it at home to see if it works.

Jason
    sorry for bringing up an old topic (at least i searched), but i cannot disable the caching. I get a popup after I try to disable saying the device does nto support it. Anyone have any other ideas?