Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    The Palm Pre takes nice photos and I like the flash but am a bit disappointed that it does not display photos very smoothly, especially compared to the iPhone. The Pre provides an instant blurred version of the photo but it takes 3 or 4 seconds to display the detailed unblurred version. I wish there was a slideshow option too, maybe that would allow the Pre to finalize the next photo before displaying it. I feel the iPhone is much superior in this function. It scrolls final images very smoothly and it even has neat transition effects with slideshows.

Not having video is disappointing too. Maybe these issues will be improved in future updates.
    I agree with you about the delay. The other thing I'm disappointed in is the picture quality. Some of the pictures I've taken look good and are sharp. However, most of them when transferred to my computer look grainy and out of focus. The photos I take with my digital camera (also 3 megapixel) all look fine, so I'm pretty sure it's not me screwing them up.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    The photos I take with my digital camera (also 3 megapixel) all look fine, so I'm pretty sure it's not me screwing them up.
    dedicated device verses a smart phone the dedicated device will almost always do whatever its intended for better. The Pre's camera struggles indoors because of the low light levels hence why you see the grain. Your digital camera has a poweful flash, the Pre has an LED. Outdoor shots looks great on my pre though.
    I find it annoying that when you click on the photo icon while in the camera, it first brings you to the Photos page and you still have to select the Photo Roll. It should go right to the the last picture you took.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Not having video is disappointing too. Maybe these issues will be improved in future updates.
    I'm sure both of these will be improved in future updates. They are rumored to be enabling video in the very next update. If it's not in the next one, it will be in the one after or the one after that. I doubt it will be more that 4-5 weeks before we have it, if not next week.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodWulf View Post
    I find it annoying that when you click on the photo icon while in the camera, it first brings you to the Photos page and you still have to select the Photo Roll. It should go right to the the last picture you took.
    I just tried this out to make sure. Mine takes me right to the photo I just took. You just have to give it a minute. Try it out.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Humm... Wow. Almost a full 10 seconds? I guess I'm just not as patient as I used to be. Maybe a reboot is in order.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    I just counted on mine (took a new pic and everything), and it took 8 seconds. I was counting like this: "1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi..." etc.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Wow this is kind of sad. I had the same impression as WoodWulf because I didn't wait long enough. Too long!

The Pre is a very sluggish phone in too many ways. What gives? I thought it had the fastest processor in the Western Hemisphere?
    The most frustrating part is trying to show friends pictures on the Pre. Too much of a delay between pictures to make it worth it. Given the speed of the processor, hopefully software fix coming soon.
    Like with most camera's there are two primary factors that reduce sharpness of a photo:
    1. Camera Shake. This is the primary cause of photos that are not sharp. Longer shutter speeds make holding the camera still while the shutter is open difficult. The sensor on the pre is VERY small and collects a small amount of light compared with any didicated camera. Make sure to hold as still as possible when taking a photo and brace your arms against something if you can.
    2. Out of focus. The primary mistake is trying to take a photo of something closer than the minimum focus distance.

You can get great results from this phone if you understand its limitations and work within them, just like any piece of equipment.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    A trick to seeing the photos you take almost instantly is to open the All Images card and leave it open while snapping photos. Once you snap the pic, it will be in the All Images card almost instantly

Of course, this is not really a work around for quick, one-time shots, but it is very useful if you are in pic snapping mode and want to quickly review what you've done.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    One of the delays in opening the Pictures app is that the Pre appears to scan every file in the /media/internal folder to see if it's a picture or not before displaying anything-- this allows you to create a new album by just dropping a folder onto your Pre when in USB mode, but also means that you hit this long delay. Same issue with the Music app.

Two solutions to this, one from the user end, the other from Palm's:

1- As a user, don't keep a lot of junk on your phone. Probably not acceptable, as the whole point of having 8GB of space is so you *can* have a lot of junk on your phone

2- As Palm, force the user to put things in specific locations, then just look there for what each application needs. This would keep the Pre from looking at my 450+ songs trying to find pictures, and vice versa.
    i wish you could categorize the photos, music, contacts