webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > How To: Back Up Text Messages When Exchanging Phones
How To: Back Up Text Messages When Exchanging Phones

Old 06/18/2009, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Didn't see anything like this on the forums so figured I'd share my experience in saving my SMS messages, call log, and possibly other things when exchanging my Pre today.

This should theoretically work for backing up information as well, in case you are worried about bricking your phone, wipe clean every so often, etc.

Sorry in advance for the instructions, I am sure I left something out somewhere. I am not the most technical person in the world, but everything seems to be fine so far.

1) You will need to have rooted your Pre.
2) Copy /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to /media/internal
3) Connect via USB (or SFTP) and copy PalmDatabase.db3 to your computer.
4) Switch out Pre's!
5) Move the PalmDatabase.db3 back to the USB drive on your new Pre
5) Backup the current PalmDatabase.db3 (make sure the filesystem is in RW mode) [mv /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3.old]
6) Move your old database to the correct postion [mv /media/internal/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3]
7) Switch back to Read-Only mode
8) Reset the Pre
9) ...
10) Profit!

I was able to keep all of my text message conversations, call logs, and possibly some other things across the move.

Hope this helps anyone else looking to keep their SMSes across an exchange, or just looking for a way to backup/restore them!
MatthiasII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

thanks so much! I've been wondering how to do this.
Querida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2009, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Good info! Thanks.
DNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Uthagentel
Old 06/19/2009, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice info.

Have you considered adding this to the pre dev wiki - pre dev wiki: Welcome to the Pre/webOS Development Wiki ?
backslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2009, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

is there any way to do this without rooting?
bulls96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: FLY_N_NE_WEATHR
Old 07/09/2009, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

is there any update on doin this backup without rooting? thanks!
Old 07/09/2009, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Is there any way to merge my old Centro/Treo texts messages into this database? I kept all my old TXT messsages from 2001 all the way from the old Treo onto the Centro, but have been unable to keep them when I moved to the Pre.
oktaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaner View Post
Is there any way to merge my old Centro/Treo texts messages into this database? I kept all my old TXT messsages from 2001 all the way from the old Treo onto the Centro, but have been unable to keep them when I moved to the Pre.
Me, too! And my massive call log from all my treos and centro. It would be awesome if I could keep this history and transfer it to the Pre...
rogerkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'll remember this in case I ever have to, There are a few conversations I just dont want to delete
ruffrydasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but will rooting the phone present any problems when returning/exchanging the device?
Kayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 11:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

I guess you can ignore the above question since the answer is apparent from the OP (since this solution was validated through experience). Sorry... I'm sleepy
Kayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2009, 05:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
is there any update on doin this backup without rooting? thanks!
I would pay for a solution (Homebrew even) that does the backup (and restore) without rooting(linux access).
tdlonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2009, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Do Not Do This!!!

I have been playing around with coming up with a backup solution for the Pre and this is one of the things I tried. While it does restore text message history and other info, if you do this in order to switch to a different phone you will eventually have problems (it may work OK to backup / restore to the same Pre). If you try this when you exchange phones the next time your phone tries to do a profile backup you will end up in the dreaded "Restart Required You are no longer signed in to your Palm Profile" loop. You will need to run WebOS doctor on your phone to fix it (or maybe move the other PalmDatabase.db file back).

In order to do this without messing up your replacement Pre you will need to backup and restore individual tables in the database and not the whole file.
clipcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2009, 11:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

what made you think that it will act differently if we restore it on the same phone>
Old 08/11/2009, 03:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Like everyone else has asked, is there anyway of doing this without rooting?
ia517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2009, 10:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

Any updates on this? Anyone try this method and either it go sucessfully or run into the error that clipcarl said may happen? Just curious before I trade my phone in...
irateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2009, 02:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

i need a this also... getting a replacement Pre tomorrow.
Old 09/18/2009, 09:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

Someone should make an app for this, that would kick ***. I'd like to just be able to do a complete backup to the computer or do a image of my pre that i could restore to another pre.
reynardmc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2009, 10:29 AM   #19 (permalink)

Has anyone tried WebOSQuick install file copy/insert mode? Ik I was able to get the original boot logo using it...
Spunks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2009, 10:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

I'd pay for an application that could solve this problem. Can anyone confirm what Clipcarl is saying or what MatthiasII is saying? Does this solution cause problems or not? Clipcarl I'm guessing there's phone specific data in the table that causes an error when you backup?
yurgon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sms, sms backup

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0