06/18/2009, 06:41 PM
Didn't see anything like this on the forums so figured I'd share my experience in saving my SMS messages, call log, and possibly other things when exchanging my Pre today.
This should theoretically work for backing up information as well, in case you are worried about bricking your phone, wipe clean every so often, etc.
Sorry in advance for the instructions, I am sure I left something out somewhere. I am not the most technical person in the world, but everything seems to be fine so far.
1) You will need to have rooted your Pre.
2) Copy /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to /media/internal
3) Connect via USB (or SFTP) and copy PalmDatabase.db3 to your computer.
4) Switch out Pre's!
5) Move the PalmDatabase.db3 back to the USB drive on your new Pre
5) Backup the current PalmDatabase.db3 (make sure the filesystem is in RW mode) [mv /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3.old]
6) Move your old database to the correct postion [mv /media/internal/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3]
7) Switch back to Read-Only mode
8) Reset the Pre
I was able to keep all of my text message conversations, call logs, and possibly some other things across the move.
Hope this helps anyone else looking to keep their SMSes across an exchange, or just looking for a way to backup/restore them!