Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPerr View Post
    Hi,
    I know I'm being thick but could someone possibly explain to me the terminal command for copy once I have navigated to the /dbdata/ directory?

Any help would be fantastic
    Thanks for posting this up by the way.
    Chris: cp -fromfile- -tofile-
    so, you might want to say cp /path/to/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /media/internal
    This will make a copy in the media/internal space, which you'll then be able to see when you connect as usb drive.

Also keep in mind that the database file also points to attachments and emails that you may want to copy to keep things consistent. See a post I started on backing up/restoring to new Pres for more info...

Good luck!
    Awesome directions! I followed them and happly recovered both my Call Logs and Messaging after I had to Doctor my Pre.

One suggestion to other folks following these directions based on my experience this morning: bringing over the .db3 doesn't bring over the attachments to SMS/MMS messages. To do that, you need to bring over the folder "mms" from the ".attachments" folder. The .attachments folder is visible in Windows when the Pre is in USB Drive mode. Just copy the entire ".attachments" folder to your computer.

I actually only copied the mms folder, not the upper level .attachment folder. To get the mms folder back to the Pre after I Doctored was a little tricky as the .attachments folder didn't appear (I assume it would get created once the first MMS came in, but then I'm in a pickle because I'm trying to fill the MMS folder with your old info, not any new info which has different folder codes). And if you just try and create a folder called ".attachments", Windows gets confused and won't let you do it (the leading period screws it up). So, you can create a folder called "attachments" and put the "mms" folder that you backed up into it, but then you need to rename it ".attachments" within Linux.

This is where WebOS Quick Install AGAIN saves the day! I went into WQI, Tools>Linux Command Line, and typed in:

mv /media/internal/attachments/mms /media/internal/.attachments/mms/

And that did the trick. (oh, and yes, there are spaces between mv and /media and between mms and /media)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Does anyone know how to decode the time stamp stored in the db for each message?
    In case anyone was wondering here's how to decode the time stamp column into a formatted datetime via sql:

datetime(com_palm_pim_FolderEntry.timeStamp/1000, 'unixepoch', 'localtime')
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpreuser1985 View Post
    I'm having the exact same problem, anyone?
    After suffering with this problem for a month before 1.4 came out, the only solution I know is to doctor the Pre and start over. The db3 is corrupt and no amount of tinkering appears to solve it. Even after I upgraded to 1.4, I still had the problem. Had to do a FULL erase to solve it. Sorry.
  5. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Are we still saying this is a no-no for copying to a new phone? I read the threads and didn't really see a definitive answer on this.

Have to replace my Pre and would like to take the messages/call history.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    Are we still saying this is a no-no for copying to a new phone? I read the threads and didn't really see a definitive answer on this.

Have to replace my Pre and would like to take the messages/call history.
    I now have the same question. I've used this successfully at least 4 times on the same device, but I've never swapped phones. I'm hoping the one or two people who cautioned against this were just being conservative now that Palm is sending me a replacement for my "shell crack from the USB port door" issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    I went through this process last night on a new Pre and it worked flawlessly. If I run into any issues in the future because of this I will update this thread.
    Did this on a new pre, it didn't work. And now my profile is deleted so I hope that backup i had the forsight to make will bring it back...

EDIT: got everything back. I don't know why I thought it was a good idea to turn backup off...
    Last edited by axoneill; 03/16/2010 at 07:06 PM.
  8. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by axoneill View Post
    Did this on a new pre, it didn't work. And now my profile is deleted so I hope that backup i had the forsight to make will bring it back...

EDIT: got everything back. I don't know why I thought it was a good idea to turn backup off...
    Does that mean you got everything back and the transfer of text messages and call history worked?
    Is there going to be an app. that will backup & restore text messages and Call Logs?
    That is easy. Without program the phone yourself?
    I would pay for that.
    Doing this when switching to a new phone caused nothing to show up in my calendar, and most contact avatars to break. Just syncing Palm Profile and accounts worked fine. Use at your own risk.

I used WebOSQI to back up the DB, signed in to Palm Profile on new phone, allowed other accounts to sync, updated to 1.4.0 (same as old phone), then copied back the DB. Text history and call log were restored, but calendar and avatars were broken.

I did a wipe and resync to Palm Profile to get everything back. Works fine again, just no text history.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmathis View Post
    Doing this when switching to a new phone caused nothing to show up in my calendar, and most contact avatars to break. Just syncing Palm Profile and accounts worked fine. Use at your own risk.

I used WebOSQI to back up the DB, signed in to Palm Profile on new phone, allowed other accounts to sync, updated to 1.4.0 (same as old phone), then copied back the DB. Text history and call log were restored, but calendar and avatars were broken.

I did a wipe and resync to Palm Profile to get everything back. Works fine again, just no text history.
    Even when using this process on the current phone led to my contact profile pics to be lost. I only have Google Contact and Facebook contacts on my phone -- no Palm Profile.

I never noted any issues with calendar (what calendars do you use? Google, Exchange, Palm Profile?

... however, rather than losing SMS and call history, (after completing the process you noted above and putting my .db3 file back on the phone), I just deleted the google and facebook contact accounts and re-added them. Contact pics were back in the contacts app (they continued to be missing from older SMSs and call logs -- but new SMSs and call logs had the right avatar pics going forward).

I can't say this will work for you if you use Palm Profile, but using 3rd party cloud services seems to overcome this issues. Also, so far, I've only done this on the same device. Replacement Pre arrives today so I'll update after this weeekend if I see anything different when using this process for a different device.
  12. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Weird... after copying the DB back, all of my calendar entries were off by one day. For example, a meeting scheduled tomorrow at 3 was appearing as today at 3. When I clicked on the details of the appt, it showed the right date (tomorrow), but the calendar app was showing it as today.

For the record, I tried removing and adding back in the calendar (both Google and MS Exchange accounts) but they reappeared on the wrong day.
    I have the same problem... I can't restore my db3 either. It causes random issues to GPS not working, to calendar entries being off...
    no 'Thanks'
    For what it's worth (and I know I'm late to this game), but this process really shouldn't take place. I actually looked inside that db3 file and it basically has virtually all settings and information from the phone in that file. There are a few problems to consider if you decide to copy this file over:

- You do not want to copy this file to or from the location when the database is accessing it. If you copy this file back, while the sqlite database is writing to the database (or even reading), it could cause some data corruption.

- Because this database contains a ton of settings from the phone, when you copy it back, you may also be copying back the same problems you had before you wiped your phone away. (that is, if there were problems prior)

- I would also highly recommend you not do this for version upgrades. (ie: 1.3 to 1.4) While I have not checked and compared, typically when new options are created (ie: settings for the phone or adding new apps), new tables or even rows to those tables will be created or dropped. By copying an old database file to a newer version of webOS, it's likely you'll cause your phone to become very unstable and possibly crash or hang.

The best (and proper) way to do this is actually to take a dump of the database and then import it on the new phone. Ideally, it would be best to just dump the table which contains the MMS info and just import that, so no other issues are brought back.

This process is by far the most involved and unless you've worked with databases in the past, it is not recommended that anyone try this. If you're interested in seeing all the tables in the database, just download sqlite and run it against this db3 file. (make a copy first!) Then type .tables at the sqlite prompt and you will see what I'm talking about. (yes, that's a period before the word tables)
    We are back to where we started, to a backup for WebOS. Is there going to be an app. that will backup our phone. A total backup. Not just part. PalmOS use to do this. Why not now?
    Igniting this thread again, is there a solution available? Got to get my headphone jack fixed and dont want to lose any texts when it goes in for repair as im sure they will wipe it.
    after reading all 9 pages of this thread, I still dont understand the correct commands to use in WebOS quick install to copy or move the db3 files using the linux command line. Or is this not possible and I am missing the whole point? I thought I had a savoir in the backup utility but that just ran and ran for hours with nothing to show. I am just so ****ed at Palm that we are even having these discussions after almost a year about how to do something that we could do years ago on our TREOs....Rubinstein and Co obviously must not use their own products...
    Got my new pre today (dropped old one and cracked cover). I am going to have to tackle this (and other things tonight). I'm really dreading it
    Last edited by cagefighter; 04/13/2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by cagefighter View Post
    Got my new pre today (dropped old one and cracked cover). I am going to have to tackle this (and other things tonight). I'm really dreading it
    I wouldn't. Restoring the PalmDatabase.db3 file is likely to cause you a world of headaches... It holds MUCH MORE than just texts. It is basically everything on your phone. Every setting, every email, everything... when you restore it, you override settings on your new device, and it will FREAK out. I've lost all sorts of random functionality.

My advice is to hold onto your PalmDatabase.db3 backups, (like me,) but don't restore them. One day, someone will write an app to restore this information. There are specific fields in the db3 file that can be read for texts/etc, but it's hella complicated.
    no 'Thanks'
    I tried this today and am getting the following message:

cannot rename '/media/internal/PalmAccountDatabase.db3': No such file or directory

novaterm shows that there's nothing in /media/internal

any help?
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast