Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kshubert
    Maybe I missed this somewhere... can someone direct me to instructions on how to copy the .db3 file that contains SMSs using QuickInstall? Does that require rooting the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by gc916 View Post
    Great instructions on PreCentral here. I did this yesterday, and it's very easy.
    I also have internalz installed on my phone and made a copy of the PalmDatabase.db3 file.

Following the directions on the Precentral page, will this restore call logs and SMS conversations, along with whatever other data to my phone after I doctor it? I am having goofy issues with 1.4 and I am thinking a Dr. visit won't hurt, but I don't want to lose my SMS/Call logs etc...

So if I have this correct I would copy the db3 file from my phone to my computer (save it in a few different areas just to be safe) then Dr. my phone to 1.4 since I am running 1.4 already, then sign into my palm profile, then delete the .db3 file from my Pre, transfer the backed up (pre-doctored file) .db3 file to my Pre, then restart and all should be golden?
    Is there any way to open the SMS file in your computer to view messgages?
    "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    I also have internalz installed on my phone and made a copy of the PalmDatabase.db3 file.

Following the directions on the Precentral page, will this restore call logs and SMS conversations, along with whatever other data to my phone after I doctor it? I am having goofy issues with 1.4 and I am thinking a Dr. visit won't hurt, but I don't want to lose my SMS/Call logs etc...

So if I have this correct I would copy the db3 file from my phone to my computer (save it in a few different areas just to be safe) then Dr. my phone to 1.4 since I am running 1.4 already, then sign into my palm profile, then delete the .db3 file from my Pre, transfer the backed up (pre-doctored file) .db3 file to my Pre, then restart and all should be golden?
    Basically, looks good. The only additional guidance from me is to be sure you wait after signing into Palm until all programs and synergy accounts are synced back to the phone before you drop in the old .db3 file. Just seems better to let it 'settle' before dropping the old file over the new one
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Basically, looks good. The only additional guidance from me is to be sure you wait after signing into Palm until all programs and synergy accounts are synced back to the phone before you drop in the old .db3 file. Just seems better to let it 'settle' before dropping the old file over the new one
    Sounds good! Thanks for the tip!!

I forgot to mention in my last post that I would delete the db3 file using WOSQI then use WOSQI again to load in my old db3 file (after letting my phone sit idle for a while)

Also, where are the homebrew apps stored? I have a few that I don't think are available anymore (like blockdrop and Shoutcast - i like the version i have and never updated it)

I want to try and pull those .ipk files and reload them once I am done with my Dr. visit
    Quote Originally Posted by jtorres View Post
    Is there any way to open the SMS file in your computer to view messgages?
    Once you are able to download the PalmDatabase.db3 file, you can use a utility like the Firefox SQLite Manager to view the contents of the database.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5817

Pasting the SQL from this post into the box with the Execute SQL tab

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2278889

you can display all the text messages. The SQLite Manager plugin allows you to export the results to a file in CSV form, for example, where you can open and manipulate it with Excel.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    Sounds good! Thanks for the tip!!

I forgot to mention in my last post that I would delete the db3 file using WOSQI then use WOSQI again to load in my old db3 file (after letting my phone sit idle for a while)

Also, where are the homebrew apps stored? I have a few that I don't think are available anymore (like blockdrop and Shoutcast - i like the version i have and never updated it)

I want to try and pull those .ipk files and reload them once I am done with my Dr. visit
    No need to delete the 'new' db3 file -- just drop the old one over and it will overwrite. I use internalz for this -- though sending from WOSQI 'send' should also work. Matter of fact, I don't know if your phone would continue to work if you actually deleted the new db3 and let it sit for a while.

Don't know about the expired / non-supported-anymore homebrew apps. I don't think it's possible to extract an ipk from the pre. My lesson is to grab the ipks from Pre|central from now on and store them on my pc somewhere so that they can always be installed by WOSQI.... Doesn't help for the past, but going forward, it shouldn't be a problem as long as I grab my ipks going forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    No need to delete the 'new' db3 file -- just drop the old one over and it will overwrite. I use internalz for this -- though sending from WOSQI 'send' should also work. Matter of fact, I don't know if your phone would continue to work if you actually deleted the new db3 and let it sit for a while.

Don't know about the expired / non-supported-anymore homebrew apps. I don't think it's possible to extract an ipk from the pre. My lesson is to grab the ipks from Pre|central from now on and store them on my pc somewhere so that they can always be installed by WOSQI.... Doesn't help for the past, but going forward, it shouldn't be a problem as long as I grab my ipks going forward.
    Thanks again!

I have recently been saving the ipk files on my computer but some I don't have or were installed via preware.

I do use Time Machine on my Mac... I think if I start to file though the old backups I might find the IPK files =) but if not then oh well =)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasII View Post
    Didn't see anything like this on the forums so figured I'd share my experience in saving my SMS messages, call log, and possibly other things when exchanging my Pre today.

This should theoretically work for backing up information as well, in case you are worried about bricking your phone, wipe clean every so often, etc.

Sorry in advance for the instructions, I am sure I left something out somewhere. I am not the most technical person in the world, but everything seems to be fine so far.

1) You will need to have rooted your Pre.
    2) Copy /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to /media/internal
    3) Connect via USB (or SFTP) and copy PalmDatabase.db3 to your computer.
    4) Switch out Pre's!
    5) Move the PalmDatabase.db3 back to the USB drive on your new Pre
    5) Backup the current PalmDatabase.db3 (make sure the filesystem is in RW mode) [mv /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3.old]
    6) Move your old database to the correct postion [mv /media/internal/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3]
    7) Switch back to Read-Only mode
    8) Reset the Pre
    9) ...
    10) Profit!

I was able to keep all of my text message conversations, call logs, and possibly some other things across the move.

Hope this helps anyone else looking to keep their SMSes across an exchange, or just looking for a way to backup/restore them!

WOW! thx a lot for this helpful info! this is awesome! i wish i wouldve seen this the first time i had to switch a pre.

do u know (or anyone else) if this process has changed since the time u posted this last year with the current updates or is it the exact same?

im still trying to learn the "lingo" and im a bit confused as what does "rooting" mean.

i tried doing an online search to find out an explanation but what i found was all related to the android not the pre . im not sure exactly what u mean by "have rooted" on step #1 of your post above. do i need to install anything to do this step? could u plz explain it to me?

the only thing i did, (in addition to the profile daily auto backup), which does not take care of the SMS & calls logs data, was to copy all the files from the phone on my pc. i put all contents in a back up folder. i see the pictures, wallpapers, some homebrew apps info, although some files with the extra long names were not possible to be copied. so what i need is to find a way to copy the sms database and calls logs etc to be able to be safe before i delete all phone's content and return the phone empty.

looking for solutions before it's too late, ---because i returned it---, i havent done the activation of the replacement yet and still have the damage phone so i can get the info backed up on my pc and ready to put back on the replacement phone once i activate it. but im already out of time, past the deadline of returning the damaged phone before they charge me for it, so if u or anyone else who has the answer could help me out as soon as possible, i will greatly appreciate it! im only stuck on the "rooting" meaning. once i know what that means or how to "root" it, the rest seems pretty easy.

thx a lot!
    PLZ HELP?
    Does anyone know how to decode the time stamp stored in the db for each message?
    Last edited by peterlemonjello; 03/05/2010 at 10:17 AM.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I just tried the method in this thread (using WebOS Quickinstall) to grab/transfer the db3 file. But it has not restored my text messages. Any guidance? That is the whole reason I needed a backup to begin with...
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I copied the PalmDatabase.db3 file onto my pc using WOSQI. Whenever I try to open the db, SQLite2009Pro crashes. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm on WebOS 1.4 and I used the receive file function in WOSQI to get the file.

Any help is appreciated.

I get the same problem, sqlitepro crashes when I try to open the database.

Not only that, once it crashes, it will crash every time I try to open the application at all, database or not. I have to uninstall and reinstall sqlitepro just to run the program at all without a crash before startup.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Update. I just reset my phone to factory settings. Then I installed webos quick install, internalz, and file manager. I then followed the directions in the op and copied the palmdatabase file back to the original folder, it overwrote the old file, I restarted the device, and all my texts are back in place! I will update if there are problems later but so far there doesn't appear to be any issues.
    I did my backup and everything is fine but the time is ****ed up on the calendar, even if its set for a certain time, it doesnt show up on the calendar properly. people have had this problem, but can anyone tell me what files to replace for the calendar app to get it back to how the doctor would do it without visiting the doctor? I don't want to lose all my **** but i need the functionality of the calendar. PLEASE HELP ME, I'M DYING!!!! no really though, any help? Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpreuser1985 View Post
    I did my backup and everything is fine but the time is ****ed up on the calendar, even if its set for a certain time, it doesnt show up on the calendar properly. people have had this problem, but can anyone tell me what files to replace for the calendar app to get it back to how the doctor would do it without visiting the doctor? I don't want to lose all my **** but i need the functionality of the calendar. PLEASE HELP ME, I'M DYING!!!! no really though, any help? Thanks everyone!
    I'm having the exact same problem, anyone?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    An additional step that needs to be done.... when you restore your PalmDatabase.db3 file from backup...

Before you reboot....

Be sure to open up contacts app, email, txt msgs, and/or calendar apps. Do so and perform some functions in some or all...this will update the database file you just restored and I believe it creates a new MD5 checksum value so that when you reboot you WON'T get a first use app because your database file is corrupt. This may also resolve some formatting issues with the time that some have reported.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    I had my first Palm Pre's screen broken. I can still root into it and I was able to recover the PalmDatabase.db3 file.

I bought a new Palm Pre. Is there a known way that I can use to transfer the SMS data from the first Pre's db file to the second?

By the way this is the (pure gold) chat support conversation that I had with a Palm rep:
    [7:24 PM] Chat session established with Barney.
    [7:25 PM] Barney says: Hello Kevin.
    [7:25 PM] Barney says: Thank you for contacting Palm. My name is Barney.
    [7:25 PM] Barney says: I understand that you are trying to transfer text messasge to new palm pre. Correct?
    [7:26 PM] Kevin Tran says: yes
    [7:26 PM] Kevin Tran says: i had a palm pre
    [7:26 PM] Kevin Tran says: it broke
    [7:26 PM] Kevin Tran says: i can access its filesystem though
    [7:26 PM] Kevin Tran says: i need to know how to copy and move the sms messages
    [7:26 PM] Barney says: Well, it is not possible to tranfser the text messages from old device to the new device.
    [7:26 PM] Kevin Tran says: why not?
    [7:27 PM] Kevin Tran says: you can transfer contacts
    [7:27 PM] Barney says: Yes. Contacts are automatically transferred to the new device once you login to profile.
    [7:27 PM] Kevin Tran says: i have a copy of the palm pre database
    [7:27 PM] Kevin Tran says: i can read the sms messages on my computer screen
    [7:27 PM] Kevin Tran says: so i have them
    [7:27 PM] Kevin Tran says: its simply electronic data
    [7:28 PM] Kevin Tran says: why does the palm profile backup system choose to backup partially?
    [7:28 PM] Barney says: Use the following link to check the backup table information:
    [7:28 PM] Barney has sent a link: kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/19388_en.html
    [7:29 PM] Kevin Tran says: i understand what is and isnt backed up
    [7:30 PM] Kevin Tran says: what im asking is, why is it so artbitrary? and why is it made so difficult to backup up sms when contacts are done automatically?
    [7:30 PM] Kevin Tran says: they are both stored as table in sqlite
    [7:30 PM] Kevin Tran says: so i dont see why palm is making it hard on me
    [7:30 PM] Kevin Tran says: i bought two palm pres
    [7:31 PM] Kevin Tran says: im an actual repeat customer
    [7:31 PM] Barney says: Palm understands that some features are not currently supported.

[7:31 PM] Barney says:
    Iíll make a note of the feature you mentioned. Customer input is an important consideration when we make enhancements and introduce new features.
    Changes such as this are delivered automatically by our over-the-air update system
    [7:31 PM] Kevin Tran says: you have a very nice script
    [7:32 PM] Barney says: I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
    My first Palm Pre's screen broke. I can still root into it and I have a copy of the PalmDatabase.db3 file.

I bought a new Palm Pre. Is there a know way that I can use to move my SMS data to the new phone?

By the way, below is the (pure gold) transcript of my chat conversation with a Palm support rep:
    [7:24 PM] Chat session established with Barney.
    [7:25 PM] Barney says: Hello Kevin.
    [7:25 PM] Barney says: Thank you for contacting Palm. My name is Barney.
    [7:25 PM] Barney says: I understand that you are trying to transfer text messasge to new palm pre. Correct?
    [7:26 PM] Kevin Tran says: yes
    [7:26 PM] Kevin Tran says: i had a palm pre
    [7:26 PM] Kevin Tran says: it broke
    [7:26 PM] Kevin Tran says: i can access its filesystem though
    [7:26 PM] Kevin Tran says: i need to know how to copy and move the sms messages
    [7:26 PM] Barney says: Well, it is not possible to tranfser the text messages from old device to the new device.
    [7:26 PM] Kevin Tran says: why not?
    [7:27 PM] Kevin Tran says: you can transfer contacts
    [7:27 PM] Barney says: Yes. Contacts are automatically transferred to the new device once you login to profile.
    [7:27 PM] Kevin Tran says: i have a copy of the palm pre database
    [7:27 PM] Kevin Tran says: i can read the sms messages on my computer screen
    [7:27 PM] Kevin Tran says: so i have them
    [7:27 PM] Kevin Tran says: its simply electronic data
    [7:28 PM] Kevin Tran says: why does the palm profile backup system choose to backup partially?
    [7:28 PM] Barney says: Use the following link to check the backup table information:
    [7:28 PM] Barney has sent a link: kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/19388_en.html
    [7:29 PM] Kevin Tran says: i understand what is and isnt backed up
    [7:30 PM] Kevin Tran says: what im asking is, why is it so artbitrary? and why is it made so difficult to backup up sms when contacts are done automatically?
    [7:30 PM] Kevin Tran says: they are both stored as table in sqlite
    [7:30 PM] Kevin Tran says: so i dont see why palm is making it hard on me
    [7:30 PM] Kevin Tran says: i bought two palm pres
    [7:31 PM] Kevin Tran says: im an actual repeat customer
    [7:31 PM] Barney says: Palm understands that some features are not currently supported.

[7:31 PM] Barney says:
    Iíll make a note of the feature you mentioned. Customer input is an important consideration when we make enhancements and introduce new features.
    Changes such as this are delivered automatically by our over-the-air update system
    [7:31 PM] Kevin Tran says: you have a very nice script
    [7:32 PM] Barney says: I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
    Hi,
    I know I'm being thick but could someone possibly explain to me the terminal command for copy once I have navigated to the /dbdata/ directory?

Any help would be fantastic
    Thanks for posting this up by the way.
    Nevermind I got it. :/
    I found this amusing and had to share since the thread is about backing up text messages ..

I was in the sprint store the other day (yet again trying to get them to fix something that stopped working on my pre) and when I did not want them to webDR the phone because I wasnt prepared to lose my text messages the store person said to me "you can back it up 1st" - i said no - not the pre you cant - she said "of course you can, you just use the back up" I explained the "back up" does not save our text messages, said Ive had the phone since June, and that this is the 4th time in 2 months a store wants to webDR the damn phone to "fix" it and I was positive texts messages were not part of the back up .. she proceeded to tell me I was incorrect and i simply reached for my phone from her hand and walked away before i said anything not nice

*sighs* stupid sprint people some days
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast