Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    The palmdatabase.db3 was overwritten to a blank. I bet if you look at your desktop, it will be 0 bytes. There was an error in the transcription of the backing up process as it was written. When you send the file, it should not have PalmDatabase.db3 (only the receive process). Always back up this file twice in different locations as a precaution
    Are you sayign that when copying the file back to the same doctored/erased phone, we have to use quickinstall or whatever to delete the existing palmdatabase.db3 on the phone in the directory we pulled it from and replace it by sending the file we backed up? Overwriting causes problems? is that right or am I missing somehting?
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    The palmdatabase.db3 was overwritten to a blank. I bet if you look at your desktop, it will be 0 bytes. There was an error in the transcription of the backing up process as it was written. When you send the file, it should not have PalmDatabase.db3 (only the receive process). Always back up this file twice in different locations as a precaution
    The backup copy of PalmDatabase.db3 is still on my /media/internal partition, 8364032 bytes.

To restore it, I typed:

mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /var/luna/data/dbdata
    cp -a PalmDatabase.db3 PalmDatabase.db3.mds
    cp /media/internal/PalmDatabase.db3 .
    mount -o remount,ro /

I didn't verify the file size after the copy. Would it be safe to copy the old PalmDatabase.db3 to overwrite the current one? Should I use 'mv' instead of 'cp'?
    Quote Originally Posted by gourser View Post
    I recently performed this backup of my text messages. It worked well. I begin experiencing a problem right after the backup however, and I can't attribute it to any other reason.

My calendars are completely messed up. I'll try to add an event (either with google or palm profile) and it immediately gets moved to a different time and date. I can see the event in calendar view, but when I click on the day it disappears. Similarly I get no notification when the event occurs, which is fine since its usually 8 hours after I intended the event to be.

It won't even sync with google calendars properly. If I add an event through google itself it will not show up on my pre.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Hey, i figured out what the problem was. I had to delete PalmDatabase.db3 first with Quickinstall. then use the file I "received" from before reformatting with the "send file" function and it went through. I restarted and the calendar is okay. I'm waiting for other stuff to load, like e-mail being glitchy, see what I can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Do Not Do This!!!

I have been playing around with coming up with a backup solution for the Pre and this is one of the things I tried. While it does restore text message history and other info, if you do this in order to switch to a different phone you will eventually have problems (it may work OK to backup / restore to the same Pre). If you try this when you exchange phones the next time your phone tries to do a profile backup you will end up in the dreaded "Restart Required You are no longer signed in to your Palm Profile" loop. You will need to run WebOS doctor on your phone to fix it (or maybe move the other PalmDatabase.db file back).

In order to do this without messing up your replacement Pre you will need to backup and restore individual tables in the database and not the whole file.
    How do we backup and restore individual tables in the database and not the whole file?
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Drew and others - note that the location of the browser database has apparently changed - now, its at /var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.browser_0/0000000000000004.db

(This is as of today, and WebOS 1.3.5.)

Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Code:
    /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW.bin
    /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW_guids.bin
    /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW_luids.bin
    /var/luna/data/CarrierNetworkSettings.db3
    /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3
    Okay so this is the revised 'exclude' list from /var/luna

I also included a restoration of the files
    Code:
    /var/palm/browser-cookies.db
    /var/palm/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.browser_0/0000000000000004.db

All in All I retained, call logs, txt msg convos, browser history, bookmarks and cookies. The Backup app now also works and currently says that my last successful backup was at 8:30am on 10.04.09

This was all done on webOS 1.2. Will update to 1.2.1 and see how it goes.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Could somebody tell me the exact command to copy the database file in a rooted Pre? Thanks!
    Use terminal if you like (of course), but I'd suggest using the Internalz app to copy the .db3 file from its location (sorry, you'll have to search this thread for the location) to a folder on my media/internals partition's Palmdb3files folder (I created the folder of course). This way, there's no command lines to worry about.

I first back up the prior version of the .db3 file to media/internals/palmdb3files/1-older. I do this about once a week.

That way I always have the latest two versions of this file twice on my USB drive and a copy on my PC (I back up my USB drive once a month or so to my PC).
    can i get a better explanation of what to do after you can see the palmdatabase in the usb drive folder on your computer? im not sure i fully understand it yet
    I just want to say for the record that it is ridiculous that palm doesn't back this stuff up as part of the palm profile...who doesn't consider their call logs, sms messages important? It really gives people a false sense of security if you ask me.
    treo 650 (dad still uses today!) --> treo 700p --> treo 800w --> htc touchPro2 (HATED IT...30 day return) --> pre!
    Please forgive me if I'm being really thick, but I'm not hugely technical but really really need to back up my SMS messages and do a full restart on my Pre (as my phone keypad has stopped working) and I have sms's from a friend who recently died and I couldnt bare to lose them.

I understand the theory behind this first post but I have absolutly no idea how to "root" my pre.

Could someone please either post or email me a step by step on how to do this. Again I'm sorry for being a techno-weenie.
    missybev -

I'll have more time later to provide better advice...

Are you familiar with either Preware or WebOS Quick Install....? i.e. Can you install Homebrew apps? If so, I'd recommend you install an app called Internalz. It's kind of like a file manager in windows.... totally a graphical interface. If you can install internals, this all becomes very easy and I can help you. If you cannot install internals, I wouldn't know how to help. I'm not a Linux guy really. I'd have to defer to someone else.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 03/01/2010 at 08:36 AM.
    Can others who have used this approach confirm that after re-install of the .db3 file, the photo associations are lost?

In the end, it's not a big deal (see fix below) but I did want to test this with others' experiences.

In my case after a full erase / WebOS Dr to 1.3.5 on Friday (and prior to the 1.4 update), my call history and SMS messages were restored perectly, but the avatar images in my contacts, emails, and SMS msgs were all gone (replaced by a completely blank solid color 'image' where there used to be a photo rather than the silouette of a body like when the contact has no associated photo at all. This happened to synergy contacts both in my Google contacts as well as facebook.

I could fix this for all future call logs, emails, and SMS by just removing and re-adding the google and facebook contacts accounts -- my contact images are stored with the contact entries in Google and facebook (of course). Seems like this fix re-attaches the photos to contacts and SMS (including past SMS history), but in the call log, the fix is for just those log entries which occured after re-adding the contact accounts fix, not the ones where the images were lost due to the .db3 restore (I guess this could also be related to the new call log format)
    I like this idea very much, but only want to copy the file to my laptop, not for moving to another phone. What I do not understand is step2: 2) Copy /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to /media/internal

What want to do know is how do I get the file moved to the desktop of my laptop? I have tried Copy /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to LaptopName/Desktop, but this just tells me no such file.
    Can anyone help with that?

Thanks!
    You first must copy the file to the USB partition of your Pre (this is actually /media/internal/ you referenced. Then when you plug the Pre into your computer, select USB Drive, then you can copy the .db3 file from the Pre (USB drive mode) to your computer desktop. Make sense to you??? I use Internalz for part 1 since I am not a command line expert. For part 2, I just use windows file explorer.
    Beautiful! I had already copied it, but didn't understand the simple step of selecting the USB drive to find what had been copied!

Thanks so much greenawayj!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    missybev -

I'll have more time later to provide better advice...

Are you familiar with either Preware or WebOS Quick Install....? i.e. Can you install Homebrew apps? If so, I'd recommend you install an app called Internalz. It's kind of like a file manager in windows.... totally a graphical interface. If you can install internals, this all becomes very easy and I can help you. If you cannot install internals, I wouldn't know how to help. I'm not a Linux guy really. I'd have to defer to someone else.

I think I get it.

Installed Internalz and filmgr (which it told me to do) and then saw what the very first post was saying.....woohoo. Copied the files I need and backed them off to the laptop. I pray pray pray that when I do my hardreset tomorrow that they will come back.....lol

Thank you Greenaway.

B
    Good luck. I also replied in detail to your PM. Hope that helps too. One thing I'll emphasize that my experiene with reinstalls of the PalmDatabase.db3 file seems to go well by allowing the Palm Profile and Synergy account setups to run their full course. After all your apps are back on the Pre and your accounts synchronized, then copy the archived .db3 file back to it's place. Then do a full reset (I forgot this step in my PM).

The only thing I've noticed in this most recent (Friday) restore was that I lost my contact pics from Exchange, Facebook, and Google Contacts (I don't use any other accounts with pics -- specifically Palm Profile so I can't tell you how palm profile will restore).

Removing the readding these Synergy accounts always brings the profile pics back (although in the case of Google contacts, the ones that come back are always the 'low quality' images type. (Google only stores the low-res images - even if you add them as high quality on the Pre)

One thing to remember before you do the hardreset is to make sure your Palm Profile backup is up to date (check the most recent Backup date. You can alway tell it to update now or turn update off and then immediately back on again and it will perform a fresh backup of the profile info).

Best of luck
    Hi, I'm wondering if you can help me. I followed your instructions to back up my SMS but am unable to restore them to my new phone. I can see that they're backed up on my computer, but can't get them to reappear on my phone. Can you give me some direction? Many thanks, eleanorew
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Open web os jar. Make sure phone is in developer mode and connect choosing just charge option. Go to tools and send file. Choose file from the location you placed it. Paste this /var/luna/data/dbdata/ into destination folder. Click send to device. Enjoy your text messages.
    I copied the PalmDatabase.db3 file onto my pc using WOSQI. Whenever I try to open the db, SQLite2009Pro crashes. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm on WebOS 1.4 and I used the receive file function in WOSQI to get the file.

Any help is appreciated.
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast