Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I did this backup and now Im getting a PCM01002 error in the App Catalog. ANY IDEAS WHY?
    I just tried this method and I get "File Open Failed" Any Ideas?
    I am on a replacement phone that I doctored to 1.3.1, the same version as my previous phone. I tried to copy the db3 file over, but I get the error above.
    Last edited by bo4uofm; 12/18/2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: add more detail
    I just did this, and it worked perfectly, except that now none of my contacts have their facebook pictures anymore?

Does anyone have any idea ***?!
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by godzirraRAWR View Post
    I just did this, and it worked perfectly, except that now none of my contacts have their facebook pictures anymore?

Does anyone have any idea ***?!
    Just delete and re-add your Facebook account.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeroyJenks View Post
    Update:::

Still fine. My phone is fully up and functioning perfectly.
    So I have a broken touchscreen (forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/215743-help-my-screen-cracked-i-need-get-my-data-pics-im-halfway-there.html), can't for the life of me figure out how to do this. I have a new pre that I want to load the old pre's data onto but don't even know whereto start...

Any ideas of somewhere that a step by step (from the very beginning of the process, including rooting) for dummies can be found?

I REALLY need the texts on the old pre with the broken screen...

GRRR...
    Maybe I missed this somewhere... can someone direct me to instructions on how to copy the .db3 file that contains SMSs using QuickInstall? Does that require rooting the phone?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kshubert View Post
    Maybe I missed this somewhere... can someone direct me to instructions on how to copy the .db3 file that contains SMSs using QuickInstall? Does that require rooting the phone?
    Great instructions on PreCentral here. I did this yesterday, and it's very easy.
    Ok I'm a newbie with a replacement phone coming Monday and a date with my ex in court soon. I've read this entire thread and still have to ask, are the instructions on PreCentral the best tried and true method to transfer my entire text history to my new phone?
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    So any progress on a simple way to export text threads? I'd just be happy for a way to save and view them on my computer in a text or HTML file, kind of like saving an IM convo in AIM.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    It seems like it would be simple to do for anybody with the right skills since all of the information is already there and organized. I'd pay for it too as I'm sure a lot of people would.
    Well, I think I might have given up here. I did exactly what Strudel requested twice, and still, I've gotten no text messages back. I followed the instructions letter for letter, and while I get everything else, no texts.
    Help!!!! I rooted my Pre and get "root@palm-webos-device:/#" I can't get a directory listing.
    can't find the following file.

How do I go from root@palm-webos-device:/# to:

Copy /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to /media/internal
    3) Connect via USB (or SFTP) and copy PalmDatabase.db3 to your computer.
    4) Switch out Pre's!
    5) Move the PalmDatabase.db3 back to the USB drive on your new Pre
    5) Backup the current PalmDatabase.db3 (make sure the filesystem is in RW mode) [mv /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3.old]
    6) Move your old database to the correct postion [mv /media/internal/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3]
    7) Switch back to Read-Only mode
    8) Reset the Pre
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    For those that just want to be able to export / view sms threads, here is a work around. Its not that slick, but here is what I have been doing until the good folks at "Treo Desktop" get this working for webOS.

1. In a thread, tap on the messaging button (top left of screen).
    2. Tap Edit
    3. Tap Copy All
    4. Open up email and compose new email to yourself.
    5. Paste the text messages to the body of the email.
    6. Send email to yourself.
    7. On your PC retrieve your email and then copy and paste to Word (or other).

The only thing that doesn't get transfered is the time and day stamp which you could go back and manually enter.

Would be great if someone could create a patch that would allow one to forward an SMS thread to an email. If only I were smart enough to do that.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    For those that just want to be able to export / view sms threads, here is a work around. Its not that slick, but here is what I have been doing until the good folks at "Treo Desktop" get this working for webOS.

1. In a thread, tap on the messaging button (top left of screen).
    2. Tap Edit
    3. Tap Copy All
    4. Open up email and compose new email to yourself.
    5. Paste the text messages to the body of the email.
    6. Send email to yourself.
    7. On your PC retrieve your email and then copy and paste to Word (or other).

The only thing that doesn't get transfered is the time and day stamp which you could go back and manually enter.

Would be great if someone could create a patch that would allow one to forward an SMS thread to an email. If only I were smart enough to do that.
    Not sure if it was talked about in this particular thread, but this method doesn't work. The "copy all" doesn't actually copy all, only small chunks of the text thread. It also doesn't copy/paste who is saying each text.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wessock View Post
    Not sure if it was talked about in this particular thread, but this method doesn't work. The "copy all" doesn't actually copy all, only small chunks of the text thread. It also doesn't copy/paste who is saying each text.
    I did this last night and all of the text for that particular thread did copy over for me. Perhaps the copy all paste function has been improved with recent update? You are correct in that it doesn't copy/paste who is saying each text. It also does not copy the time/day stamp.

Come on Treo Desktop folks, lets get a PreoDesktop. I would definitely pay for that app.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I did this last night and all of the text for that particular thread did copy over for me. Perhaps the copy all paste function has been improved with recent update? You are correct in that it doesn't copy/paste who is saying each text. It also does not copy the time/day stamp.

Come on Treo Desktop folks, lets get a PreoDesktop. I would definitely pay for that app.
    Nope, tried it again before I posted last time just to make sure, still only copies small chunks of a thread. Maybe you're just doing small threads? Maybe it's a bug, but it's one everybody was having before in other threads it was talked about. Without it copying who said which things and when, I'm not really even sure why the 'copy all' function was included at all. It's like a court reporter writing an article full of quotes and accounts of things but not including who said what and when it all happened.
    I recently performed this backup of my text messages. It worked well. I begin experiencing a problem right after the backup however, and I can't attribute it to any other reason.

My calendars are completely messed up. I'll try to add an event (either with google or palm profile) and it immediately gets moved to a different time and date. I can see the event in calendar view, but when I click on the day it disappears. Similarly I get no notification when the event occurs, which is fine since its usually 8 hours after I intended the event to be.

It won't even sync with google calendars properly. If I add an event through google itself it will not show up on my pre.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by gourser View Post
    I recently performed this backup of my text messages. It worked well. I begin experiencing a problem right after the backup however, and I can't attribute it to any other reason.

My calendars are completely messed up. I'll try to add an event (either with google or palm profile) and it immediately gets moved to a different time and date. I can see the event in calendar view, but when I click on the day it disappears. Similarly I get no notification when the event occurs, which is fine since its usually 8 hours after I intended the event to be.

It won't even sync with google calendars properly. If I add an event through google itself it will not show up on my pre.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    I am having the exact same problem. Exactly. Help anyone, please?
    I copied PalmDatabase.db3 to my pc. Ran WebOSDoctor, logged into palm and restored my backed up data.

Then I copied PalmDatabase.db3 back to the phone and rebooted. It went straight to the palm login. I logged in, restored my phone again. My SMS messages and call log were gone.

If I missed something, please let me know. Thanks.
    Hey everyone I've got an idea running through my head right now about how to backup just the sms and mms texts... I'm not for sure it it'll work, but that's why I'm trying it out tonight. Thank God for Google voice so that I can still text people while trying this out lol

I too had tried the first post's way of doing this, everything worked fine EXCEPT for i have duplicates of everyone in my Contacts and my Calender is completely messed up (times aren't correct). I'm sure there's an easier way of doing this, probably by writing a python script, but I'm not that good yet and haven't researched it yet.

I'll post a reply back whenever I'm done and tell you all if it worked or not. I personally think it'll work, but I've got this doubt in my mind. PRAY everyone!! Lol
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast