Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    i may have screwed up big time here. i had my phone mess up. long story short i needed webos doc to fix it, here is my question, is there anyway to get that data back after the web doc restored the phone? the only thing i got to do before it crashed was to use the phone as a usb drive and i copied the enitre phone contents, but what i really want is call history and texts

oh and i have not been able to restore my data from my palm profile!!

anyone please help
    mt
    Last edited by mtgmt; 10/27/2009 at 01:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgmt View Post
    i may have screwed up big time here. i had my phone mess up. long story short i needed webos doc to fix it, here is my question, is there anyway to get that data back after the web doc restored the phone? the only thing i got to do before it crashed was to use the phone as a usb drive and i copied the enitre phone contents, but what i really want is call history and texts

anyone please help
    mt
    It's gone man. So sorry. And don't put much hope into getting your Palm Profile stuff back either. Give Sprint a call, who will give Palm a call, who will escalate to 2nd and 3rd level support, who will call you back like a month later and say "Sorry, your data is gone. Would you like a Touchstone?" Then call Sprint back and they will give you like a month service credit. Then make sure to use Google to sync contacts from here on out. Not that I'm speaking from experience....
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgmt View Post

anyone please help
    mt
    Assuming by "use the phone as a usb drive and... copied the entire phone contents,..." you literally mean, you just copied stuff available on the "Media" portion of the phone memory which maps as an external drive with music, pics, etc? If that's the case, then I'm sorry to inform you that there's no way to go get the file you need.

If you have some hack installed which allows you to literally see 'the entire phone contents' (Dev, Lib, Usr, Var, bin, boot.... etc.) on your PC as a usb drive, and you copied "everything" including the above directories... then you are in luck. But I doubt that's the case. I haven't followed this too closely, but I don't even think this is possible (yet) for the typical user without rooting and command line access.

Why wouldn't the palm profile come back? I've doctored my phone (once) and I was able to successfully get it almost back to pre-Dr condition... (some homebrew apps and app settings needed to be redone.) I DO NOT use the Palm Profile for my contacts, calendar, etc... It's all on Google, but the Palm Profile did restore the link to the Google accounts -- I think I just had to re-enter my google passwords.

Anyone else, feel free to comment if I've mis-spoken at all.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    It's gone man. So sorry. And don't put much hope into getting your Palm Profile stuff back either. Give Sprint a call, who will give Palm a call, who will escalate to 2nd and 3rd level support, who will call you back like a month later and say "Sorry, your data is gone. Would you like a Touchstone?" Then call Sprint back and they will give you like a month service credit. Then make sure to use Google to sync contacts from here on out. Not that I'm speaking from experience....

why would my palm profile be gone?? my apps came back

man this back up crap is the worst i have ever seen
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Assuming by "use the phone as a usb drive and... copied the entire phone contents,..." you literally mean, you just copied stuff available on the "Media" portion of the phone memory which maps as an external drive with music, pics, etc? If that's the case, then I'm sorry to inform you that there's no way to go get the file you need.

If you have some hack installed which allows you to literally see 'the entire phone contents' (Dev, Lib, Usr, Var, bin, boot.... etc.) on your PC as a usb drive, and you copied "everything" including the above directories... then you are in luck. But I doubt that's the case. I haven't followed this too closely, but I don't even think this is possible (yet) for the typical user without rooting and command line access.

Why wouldn't the palm profile come back? I've doctored my phone (once) and I was able to successfully get it almost back to pre-Dr condition... (some homebrew apps and app settings needed to be redone.) I DO NOT use the Palm Profile for my contacts, calendar, etc... It's all on Google, but the Palm Profile did restore the link to the Google accounts -- I think I just had to re-enter my google passwords.

Anyone else, feel free to comment if I've mis-spoken at all.
    i am pretty much screwed
    Quote Originally Posted by AndersonEllis View Post
    I just tried the method at the beginning of this discussion and didn't have any problems with the "Palm Backup" error loop. I went from one Pre to a new refurbed Pre(my speaker went out in the old one). I made sure the WebOS matched the same as my old phone when I backed up the db3 file. I replaced it on the new phone (after all the rooting, etc), rebooted and viola! I forced a Palm backup and had no error messages. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or the error will creep up later, but so far so good and I have all the texts.

Also - someone had mentioned that after restoring, they did not have pictures next to the texts anymore. I simply removed the contacts accounts, re-added them, and the next time someone sent me a text, their pic was refreshed on all the texts.

I was quite scared reading the posts here. Maybe I'll count myself lucky - or maybe there's things going on that I don't realize, but on the surface everything is back to normal.
    I just tried this method, and it worked for me as well. Thanks everyone!
    I did this with a swap to a new phone, easiest thing in the world. The way i solved the screwing up from backup problem was, let the new phone fully restore from a backup. Then TURN OFF the auto backup and it will remove the data from the palm server! Then add palmdatabase back into the phone, reboot, and restart the auto backups. This will overwrite what was on the server, been working without issue for a couple weeks now!
    i was looking into the sms messages last night to figure a way to export them to a csv. the summary sms messages (last one received from a particular id (user)) are in com_Palm_messaging_data_ChatThread. The actual messages are stored in com_Palm_messaging_data_RichMessage. They arent the easiest to pick through. You have to know your id number of the particular sender and sortby that to see them in sequential order.

im working on something that will allow them to be exported. ill probably post here when im done. im in #webos-internals, if you'd like to speak with me directly about it.

im devoting as much time as i can to this, but im also studying for my ccie lab.. so it might not go as fast as you guys want it to.
    is there a way to back up the sms messages without rooting???
    How did you load the file in the emulator. I was able to get the file on my pc i need help getting it on the emulator.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyd1388 View Post
    is there a way to back up the sms messages without rooting???

A solution is coming soon!

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2033917

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    So it took some time and google studying but I was able to back up the pre
    database file to my computer and replace it to my pre after running webOS doctor. I was especially excited to use the code to pull text messages and even used SQLite 2009 pro to view and export text and call log information to excel spread sheets. I got excel to convert the gmt to standard time and adjusted for time zone, I'm just wondering if anyone else that has done this knows how to figure out the call duration integer? Have a feeling most people don't have a need for this but any help is greatly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    So I read thru the whole tread, is someone really working on this ? Would it be posted on precentral, an app on preware. Any updates would be awesome. Like others have mentioned. This is an app anyone would pay for !
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Heres the sql to extract them

Code:
    Recieved Messages
    SELECT "com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."id", "com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."messageText", "com_palm_pim_Recipient"."com_palm_pim_FolderEntry_id", "com_palm_pim_Recipient"."address","com_palm_pim_Recipient"."firstName","com_palm_pim_Recipient"."lastName" FROM "com_palm_pim_FolderEntry", "com_palm_pim_Recipient" WHERE ("com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."id" = "com_palm_pim_Recipient"."com_palm_pim_FolderEntry_id") AND ("com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."messageText" != "") AND (smsClass = 2);

Sent Messages
    SELECT "com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."id", "com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."messageText", "com_palm_pim_Recipient"."com_palm_pim_FolderEntry_id", "com_palm_pim_Recipient"."address","com_palm_pim_Recipient"."firstName","com_palm_pim_Recipient"."lastName" FROM "com_palm_pim_FolderEntry", "com_palm_pim_Recipient" WHERE ("com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."id" = "com_palm_pim_Recipient"."com_palm_pim_FolderEntry_id") AND ("com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."messageText" != "") AND (smsClass = 0);

I would highly recommend not to replace the whole palmdatabase.db3 file..
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I use to use these directions to backup my txt msgs and then load them back to my phone but now it doesnt seem to be working. Everytime I load them back to my phone, after its done copying my phone reboots and when its done it asks me to sign in again into my palm profile and when I check to see if my msgs were copied, they werent.

Is there any other way add them back to my phone?

THANKS!
    Last edited by andyckr; 11/21/2009 at 01:01 PM.
    [QUOTE=andyckr;2054103]I use to use these directions to backup my txt msgs and then load them back to my phone but now it doesnt seem to be working. Everytime I load them back to my phone, after its done copying my phone reboots and when its done it asks me to sign in again into my palm profile and when I check to see if my msgs were copied, they werent.

THANKS![/QUOTE

I am having the same problem! This shouldn't be that difficult! Help!

I don't even have my contacts either!
    [QUOTE=JaysonR;2068639]
    Quote Originally Posted by andyckr View Post
    I use to use these directions to backup my txt msgs and then load them back to my phone but now it doesnt seem to be working. Everytime I load them back to my phone, after its done copying my phone reboots and when its done it asks me to sign in again into my palm profile and when I check to see if my msgs were copied, they werent.

THANKS![/QUOTE

I am having the same problem! This shouldn't be that difficult! Help!

I don't even have my contacts either!

I second. Just got a new one today (touchscreen stopped working) and did the stupid thing of not reading through the entire thread first. I used WebOS QI and put in the palmdatabase.db3 that i had gotten from my old phone (also with QI) and no contacts or anything were loaded to my pre. I may sound ******** but I really dont wana do the "lost all my numbers" post on facebook. Plz help. All i have is the palmdatabase.db3 from the old phone.
    UPDATE::::::

YESSSSSS
    So with what I said before, I had extracted PalmDatabase.db3 from my old phone, and that's it, using WebOS Quick Install from /var/luna/data/dbdata/. With my new phone, I signed in and everything, updated the phone to 1.3.1 (the version i had extracted the previous .db3 from) and, using Quick Install I placed the PalmDatabase.db3 file i had extracted back into my device in /var/luna/data/dbdata/. Restarted the device and VOI-FRIGGIN-LA!

So far no problems, I will further-update. I have everything. E-mail settings, old contacts, all text messages up to the point of extraction. All my information that I needed so far. Once again, I'll keep you guys updated further. This is delicious
    Update:::

Still fine. My phone is fully up and functioning perfectly.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeroyJenks View Post
    UPDATE::::::

YESSSSSS
    So with what I said before, I had extracted PalmDatabase.db3 from my old phone, and that's it, using WebOS Quick Install from /var/luna/data/dbdata/. With my new phone, I signed in and everything, updated the phone to 1.3.1 (the version i had extracted the previous .db3 from) and, using Quick Install I placed the PalmDatabase.db3 file i had extracted back into my device in /var/luna/data/dbdata/. Restarted the device and VOI-FRIGGIN-LA!

So far no problems, I will further-update. I have everything. E-mail settings, old contacts, all text messages up to the point of extraction. All my information that I needed so far. Once again, I'll keep you guys updated further. This is delicious
    I went through this process last night on a new Pre and it worked flawlessly. If I run into any issues in the future because of this I will update this thread.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast