Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    I can confirm (I think numerous others have as well) that I successfully offloaded the PalmDatabase.db3 prior to doing a WebOS Doctor reset to factory settings. I can't remember if I used InternalZ to put the file on my USB partition or if I used WebOS Quick Install to extract the file. I believe they both work -- InternalZ just requires the additional step of backing up your USB partition (including .db3 file) to a computer prior to wiping the device (most folks would need this backup anyway for ringtones, photos from the Pre, downloaded files, etc...) Regardless, I then used the same methon to put the same .db3 file back where it belonged. It was nice to have the call history and SMS/MMS Messaging content back on the phone since Palm doesn't include this in their backup.

I'll emphasize that this was done for the same physical device and not for an exchange phone. I have seen several posts early on in this thread that warn of potential trouble putting the .db3 file on a phone it did not originate from. I beleive the issue is with device specific identifiers somewhere within the file.

Ideally, we'd be in a world where either Palm would include this file in the nightly backup (is the file size too large?) or a homebrewer would develop another approach to automatically (scheduled) backup key files and databases to either the USB drive or more optimally your home PC via wifi/bt or a ftp server in the cloud (for those of us with that option).
    My file size was just over 4 MB, so it's not too large to have been included as a backup.

As a side note, however, after backing up my file, running WebOSDoctor, and then putting the file back, my system told me it had to restart and restore from backup. Once it did this it cleared out my entire SMS/MMS list. So, needless to say, I'm stuck back at square one again.

I did download SQLite and am able to see my SMS/MMS messages, so things aren't all bad. Now I just need to know:
    1. Is there a good/clean way of getting them back in there?
    2. Is there a reasonable way for me to do my own backup of the file that will allow for a restore?
    Quote Originally Posted by satchmo82 View Post
    As a side note, however, after backing up my file, running WebOSDoctor, and then putting the file back, my system told me it had to restart and restore from backup. Once it did this it cleared out my entire SMS/MMS list. So, needless to say, I'm stuck back at square one again.
    Hmmm. That definitely did not happen to me. But, I last (only) did this prior to 1.2.0 and 1.2.1. So I can't say that the updated WebOS version doesn't see the 'replaced' file as some form of intruder and cause a reset - akin to a virus in the body.

One note though, I too, was required to do a 'restore from backup' after using WebOS Doctor to reset the device to factory settings. I only placed the .db3 file back on after the Pre finished restoring the phone and after I re-connected all of my cloud sources for contact.... maybe it's trying to link SMS and Call Log references to contact records that are not available until your contacts are fully restored to the phone. Note: In my case, I only use Google as a contacts source -- none of mine are in the palm profile.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Hmmm. That definitely did not happen to me. But, I last (only) did this prior to 1.2.0 and 1.2.1. So I can't say that the updated WebOS version doesn't see the 'replaced' file as some form of intruder and cause a reset - akin to a virus in the body.

One note though, I too, was required to do a 'restore from backup' after using WebOS Doctor to reset the device to factory settings. I only placed the .db3 file back on after the Pre finished restoring the phone and after I re-connected all of my cloud sources for contact.... maybe it's trying to link SMS and Call Log references to contact records that are not available until your contacts are fully restored to the phone. Note: In my case, I only use Google as a contacts source -- none of mine are in the palm profile.
    Well, I guess I can try bringing it back in again and see what happens. The worst will be is that I lose a text from my ex-wife. HAH!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Well, I guess I can try bringing it back in again and see what happens. The worst will be is that I lose a text from my ex-wife. HAH!
    So far, so good. I got all my old texts back and lost the one from my ex! We'll see how it holds up overnight.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    So far, so good. I got all my old texts back and lost the one from my ex! We'll see how it holds up overnight.
    Everything still seems to be working for me. So, I think I'm good to go.
    Now, if someone could make an app that would be able to do the backup and restore of the file(s) that don't get backed up automatically, then I think we'd be golden. Wish I knew how to do that.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Code:
    /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW.bin
    /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW_guids.bin
    /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW_luids.bin
    /var/luna/data/CarrierNetworkSettings.db3
    /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3
    Okay so this is the revised 'exclude' list from /var/luna

I also included a restoration of the files
    Code:
    /var/palm/browser-cookies.db
    /var/palm/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.browser_0/0000000000000004.db

All in All I retained, call logs, txt msg convos, browser history, bookmarks and cookies. The Backup app now also works and currently says that my last successful backup was at 8:30am on 10.04.09

This was all done on webOS 1.2. Will update to 1.2.1 and see how it goes.
    Let me get this straight. I copy the entire luna folder except those 5 files? That includes the data, files, launchpoints and preferences directories?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    testing
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omatus View Post
    Let me get this straight. I copy the entire luna folder except those 5 files? That includes the data, files, launchpoints and preferences directories?
    yea, exclude those 5 files and restore to the same phone and you'll retain messages and call logs. Restore the other files and you'll retain history bookmarks and cookies also. This ONLY works on the same phone.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    yea, exclude those 5 files and restore to the same phone and you'll retain messages and call logs. Restore the other files and you'll retain history bookmarks and cookies also. This ONLY works on the same phone.
    It's been a while since I've done things on linux. I did while in the /var directory
    > cp -R luna /media/internal

This, I think, is suppose to copy the luna directory to the /media folder. However, I ended up with:
    "cp: cannot create symlink 'media/internal/luna/preferences/localtime' : Operation not permitted"

Did you get that error? How did you get around it? Thanks for your help.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omatus View Post
    It's been a while since I've done things on linux. I did while in the /var directory
    > cp -R luna /media/internal

This, I think, is suppose to copy the luna directory to the /media folder. However, I ended up with:
    "cp: cannot create symlink 'media/internal/luna/preferences/localtime' : Operation not permitted"

Did you get that error? How did you get around it? Thanks for your help.
    1. Did you mount -o remount,rw the drive writable?

2. I used SSH Secure shell, which has a Secure FTP client that allows me to copy entire directories locally to my XP Machine. Of course I set up dropbear to allow root access.

3. If I understand it correctly the /media/internal directory is in FAT file system and won't handle some linux attributes. SSH SFTP Client apparently handled them or either NTFS does.

In your situation, I'd tarball the folder and try copying it to /media/internal then.

let me know how it works out?
    OK, pardon my limited database skills...

I got the file off my Pre and went to browse through it using SQLite-Manager (code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager/) in Firefox. I see the com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread table, and see my contacts in there, as well as the most recent message under "Summary". When I export this table, it still shows only the most recent message.

If I want to export my messages from this DB in order in import them into a new DB from another phone (I need a new Pre, my internal speaker only works when it feels like it), where do I begin?

I have a computer engineering degree, so I'm not afraid to get complicated, but I don't know where the rest of the messages (besides the most recent) are stored!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    That is definitely above my head. I know there is a script that will export your contacts to csv from that database. Based on that, I would assume the same could be done for text messages, but I have yet to see a script like that. My DB skills are well below novice. The idea of writing sql queries is frightening to me!
    I just tried the method at the beginning of this discussion and didn't have any problems with the "Palm Backup" error loop. I went from one Pre to a new refurbed Pre(my speaker went out in the old one). I made sure the WebOS matched the same as my old phone when I backed up the db3 file. I replaced it on the new phone (after all the rooting, etc), rebooted and viola! I forced a Palm backup and had no error messages. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or the error will creep up later, but so far so good and I have all the texts.

Also - someone had mentioned that after restoring, they did not have pictures next to the texts anymore. I simply removed the contacts accounts, re-added them, and the next time someone sent me a text, their pic was refreshed on all the texts.

I was quite scared reading the posts here. Maybe I'll count myself lucky - or maybe there's things going on that I don't realize, but on the surface everything is back to normal.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I think something that may have possibly screwed up with this method is the Palm Profile sync. Not sure if anyone has any time (or want) to test this, but after doing this, my Pal Profile will not bring my contacts back, and after replacing the database file, they will not sync back to the Palm cloud, even though I am getting no apparent errors from the Backup app. Fortunately it doesn't matter since they're in this database, but I am moving my sync to Google because of this.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Thanks for posting that Anderson.

Irateb, I moved my contacts to google a week or so ago. Can't help with that one other than to suggest copying over the PalmDatabase.db3 file prior to going through the First Use GUI that you get when you WebOS Doctored your phone.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Just posting this so I won't forget, as well as maybe peak someone's interest since the purpose of this thread was just for SMS messages. The table com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread seems to have the last text you sent to a person as well as that person's messaging info. The table com_palm_pim_FolderEntry seems to have all the history of the chat. I'm going to start with those two tomorrow (or later today to be more specific), but I'm guessing I will have to import all the tables that begin with com_palm_messaging_data* as well as that FolderEntry table. Hopefully it'll be this easy, although if it was, someone would have already done it...
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasII View Post
    Didn't see anything like this on the forums so figured I'd share my experience in saving my SMS messages, call log, and possibly other things when exchanging my Pre today.

This should theoretically work for backing up information as well, in case you are worried about bricking your phone, wipe clean every so often, etc.

Sorry in advance for the instructions, I am sure I left something out somewhere. I am not the most technical person in the world, but everything seems to be fine so far.

1) You will need to have rooted your Pre.
    2) Copy /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to /media/internal
    3) Connect via USB (or SFTP) and copy PalmDatabase.db3 to your computer.
    4) Switch out Pre's!
    5) Move the PalmDatabase.db3 back to the USB drive on your new Pre
    5) Backup the current PalmDatabase.db3 (make sure the filesystem is in RW mode) [mv /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3.old]
    6) Move your old database to the correct postion [mv /media/internal/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3]
    7) Switch back to Read-Only mode
    8) Reset the Pre
    9) ...
    10) Profit!

I was able to keep all of my text message conversations, call logs, and possibly some other things across the move.

Hope this helps anyone else looking to keep their SMSes across an exchange, or just looking for a way to backup/restore them!
    These instructions aren't too clear, could the original author or someone who has done this clarify:

On step 2 it says "/var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to /media/internal"....ok copy from where, from my pre? because if s then this should be step 3, not 2, and step 3 should be step 2...

also on step 2 it says to copy /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to /media/internal....is this the media folder on the pre to be ale to access vi USB?

step 5, this one is confusing, might notbe to those of you who are use to this, but to someone who isn't it's gibberish...so please clarify:
    I got the part about copy to the new pre USB, it's the 2nd step 5 I dont get, it sas backup the current PalmDatabase.db3, i'm assuming the original one on the new pre? How do I know the file system is in RW or how do I make it RW if not? Right after it says make sure in RW i just has [mv /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3.old]....what is this, the author didn't specify, just entered it.....these instructions are frustrating me.

I know they seem easy, but as mentioned, for those of you who are use to doing all this.

I am exchanging my phone later today andam trying to get this done today (10/23)
    "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"
    just thought about something else, I just rooted my pre (i think), and I am at the root@castle:/# prompt, so from here how am I suppose to find the file on the pre that i'm suppose to backup?
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    The table com_palm_pim_FolderEntry seems to have all the history of the chat. I'm going to start with those two tomorrow (or later today to be more specific), but I'm guessing I will have to import all the tables that begin with com_palm_messaging_data* as well as that FolderEntry table. Hopefully it'll be this easy, although if it was, someone would have already done it...
    Let us know how it goes as well as how you accomplished it (what sqlite commands, or what program used, etc). I tried to do this but could not successfully export and then reimport the FolderEntry table because it contains a few newlines and exporting to CSV will screw it up.

I tried a few sqlite browsers as well as sqlite commands in linux to move the tables but ended up just replacing the entire db3 file.
    Worked perfectly for me, without a problem...I'm so excited, got all my call logs and sms ona new pre.
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast