Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    I found the bookmark database here....

Code:
    /var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.browser_0
    My filename was: 0000000000000004.db

Is that what it's called for everyone else?

This DB File also contains all the browser history.

Also, it looks like the browser cookie info is located here

/var/palm/data/browswer-cookies.db

Restoring this means you won't have to re-login to PreCentral.net

I found this a bit too late or I would have tried to restore using these and see if my bookmarks history & cookies were restored successfuly or not.

Maybe someone else is a bit more brave. Maybe I'll try it over the next couple of days..
    According to the 1.2 Improvements/Enhancements thread, bookmarks are now backed up, so maybe we don't have to worry about it? That being said, my filenames for the bookmarks and cookies are the same as yours...
    Awesome info thanks!
    well what i was thinking was that the best possible way to dump all the text messages to a file...

use sqlite to dump the database content to a text file... copy the text file to new device and use sqlite to put it back to new database.... gotta play with it
    So I did this and while I do have all my texts and call logs backed up now, all my text messages have an empty box where the avatar is supposed to be. Is there a command or a way I can have the messenger app rescan my contacts for their avatar and then put it in the messaging application? Help is greatly appreciated
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hckyplayer024 View Post
    So I did this and while I do have all my texts and call logs backed up now, all my text messages have an empty box where the avatar is supposed to be. Is there a command or a way I can have the messenger app rescan my contacts for their avatar and then put it in the messaging application? Help is greatly appreciated

This is exactly the problem I was having when I made this comment.....

this does not appear to be working.....well...not totally.
    The avatars that were missing were ones from my gmail contacts. I was also having problems with gTalk and I mentioned that also. I managed to clear it up by deleting the problematic contacts and recreating them in gmail on my PC and then resyncing them on the Pre.

There was so much going on there it was hard to remember exactly what I did. My ego tells me I don't need to take notes ..... I am about as sharp as a peice of chalk.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    **SIGH**

Apparently I am not done yet.

I went to do a manual backup using the 'backup' app and the Pre logged me off telling me that I need to reboot. Of course when I did I booted up to the screen below. Asking me to wipe the drive or start over...starting over just reboots it to that screen all over again.

Of course, I was still able to root into the Pre and when I did a ps -A -F I noticed all the apps where still running. Hmmmmm, I also noticed that LunaSysMgr was running with some weird parameters. LunaSysMgr -u mininmal -a fisrtuse

Naturally, I issued a stop LunaSysMgr && start LunaSysMgr -u luna

This restarted Luna in normal mode and i recoverd use of my Pre. Temporarily! After rebooting it went back to the screen below.

Looks like the culprits are the files located in /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config. They do not refer to the Browser application. They refer to the Backup and Restore Application.

An inspection of the file /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/application.properties & BRSyncSource.properties reveal what should be backed up and how often as well as where it is being backed up....

application.properties
    Code:
    #Thu Sep 11 16:50:16 GMT+02:00 2003
    applicationAuthor=Funambol
    applicationDisplayName=Funambol Java Command Line Plug-In
    applicationSupportMail=funambol-users@lists.sourceforge.net
    applicationSupportUrl=http\://www.funambol.com
    BRSyncSource.properties
    Code:
    # Thursday September 20, 2007 - Initial version
    # Sunday, February 17, 2008 - Revised for multiple backup folders
    # 

#
    # The user folder for backup and restore
    # To backup multiple folder to the list, just append path
    # seperated by TWO "|" chars
    # Example: userdata-folder=folder1||folder2||folder3
    # Note for subfolder characters use standard unix approach
    # of forward slash in place of back slash.
    #
    userdata-folder=/var/luna/files

#
    # It basically mean that perform backup of only files
    # or only active records. the comparison is case sensitive.
    # selective backup [All / Files / ARs]
    # default: All
    #
    #selective-backup=All

#
    # The timeslice in minutes for the automatic
    # backup to trigger. If this property is missing or
    # set to zero the time to next backup is obtained from
    # the server. Further, if the server fails to provide
    # the next backup time due to connectivity failure
    # or otherwise the default is set to 24 hours
    # from the current backup time.
    #auto-backup-interval=1440
    auto-backup-interval=0
    The backup application in the AppLauncher said that my last successful backup was 9/30/2009. So Looking at the time stamps, I guess anything dated after 9/30/2009 would be okay to restore...all other files in the location /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config should be excluded.

Specifically the files

Code:
    /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW.bin
    /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW_guids.bin
    /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW_luids.bin
    /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/syncml.properties [maybe]
    I'll be updating the exclude list later..... Standby to Standby.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    The question now becomes .... if I change

Code:
    userdata-folder=/var/luna/files
    ...to...
    Code:
    userdata-folder= /
    will the backup app backup my entire Palm Pre???

LMAO
    cool post
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Code:
    /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW.bin
    /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW_guids.bin
    /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW_luids.bin
    /var/luna/data/CarrierNetworkSettings.db3
    /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3
    Okay so this is the revised 'exclude' list from /var/luna

I also included a restoration of the files
    Code:
    /var/palm/browser-cookies.db
    /var/palm/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.browser_0/0000000000000004.db

All in All I retained, call logs, txt msg convos, browser history, bookmarks and cookies. The Backup app now also works and currently says that my last successful backup was at 8:30am on 10.04.09

This was all done on webOS 1.2. Will update to 1.2.1 and see how it goes.
    The easiest way is to get your text through your GVoice number. Your text are always there and when you click history, in the GVoice app on your phone, they come back up.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    do you have spare invites?

I've submitted my email address and they haven't given me an account yet.

May I have an gVoice invite from you, please?
    do you have spare invites?

I've submitted my email address and they haven't given me an account yet.

May I have an gVoice invite from you, please?
    Resubmit. I put them in for my husband and kids and everyone got their invites. Yours may have gone to your trash or junk mail by mistake. They don't give us the ability to invite, but I'll see if someone failed to use theirs.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Maybe you have the magic touch, can you put mine in for me as well!?!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Okay, updated to 1.2.1 and performed a backup via the backup app successfully. 9:41a 10.04.09
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    PalmDatabase.db3 File - WebOS Internals

I am such a glutence for punishment!!!!
    PalmDatabase.db3 File - WebOS Internals

I am such a glutence for punishment!!!!
    Why not just copy the files to your desktop through QuickInstall as a text? Try finding and doing the files that way, before you try the backup.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Dood, have you read this thread?

1.) copying the files to your PC does not get your contacts out of your Palm Profile and into your Google Gmail contacts and subsequently into Outlook. Yes, there are apps out there that already do this but ...
    a.) I am too cheap a ******* to pay for them.
    b.) I am never going to pay for something that I can do myself [excluding sex]
    c.) I am never going to walk away from a learning experience.

2.) QuickInstall will not read DB3 files as text! I don't think you understand what WebOS QI does or either what these SQLite DB3 files are.

3.) This thread has been completely about how to preserve your call logs, chat conversations, browser bookmarks and history. What I have suggested and have successfully completed is migrating my palm profile to google.
    Originally posted by drewp:
    What I have suggested and have successfully completed is migrating my palm profile to google.
    I stand corrected. I thought someone simply wanted to backup their text and for me the best way is GVoice. For those of you who are more adventurous, I take off my hat to you. You develop, test, and pass on that knowledge to the rest of us.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I don't know if anyone else has done this, but I took my PalmDatabase.db3 file and was able to load it into the Palm Emulator. I do see my text messages on there. I haven't tested much else tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by satchmo82 View Post
    I don't know if anyone else has done this, but I took my PalmDatabase.db3 file and was able to load it into the Palm Emulator. I do see my text messages on there. I haven't tested much else tho.
    I can confirm (I think numerous others have as well) that I successfully offloaded the PalmDatabase.db3 prior to doing a WebOS Doctor reset to factory settings. I can't remember if I used InternalZ to put the file on my USB partition or if I used WebOS Quick Install to extract the file. I believe they both work -- InternalZ just requires the additional step of backing up your USB partition (including .db3 file) to a computer prior to wiping the device (most folks would need this backup anyway for ringtones, photos from the Pre, downloaded files, etc...) Regardless, I then used the same methon to put the same .db3 file back where it belonged. It was nice to have the call history and SMS/MMS Messaging content back on the phone since Palm doesn't include this in their backup.

I'll emphasize that this was done for the same physical device and not for an exchange phone. I have seen several posts early on in this thread that warn of potential trouble putting the .db3 file on a phone it did not originate from. I beleive the issue is with device specific identifiers somewhere within the file.

Ideally, we'd be in a world where either Palm would include this file in the nightly backup (is the file size too large?) or a homebrewer would develop another approach to automatically (scheduled) backup key files and databases to either the USB drive or more optimally your home PC via wifi/bt or a ftp server in the cloud (for those of us with that option).
    Last edited by greenawayj; 10/07/2009 at 03:50 PM.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast