Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    I can kinda confirm what Clipcarl is saying not that i have tried the exact process but from a programming standpoint i have swifted through the .db3 file and after seeing some of the values that are in place in the database i would not recommend to do it seeing that some stuff in the database are unique to the phone. If anyone is comfortable with sqlite3 here are some commands to export the messages and you can save as a csv file using your favorite sqllite browser.

Don't use the code below if you don't know what you are doing.
    Code:
    Recieved Messages
    SELECT "com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."id", "com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."messageText", "com_palm_pim_Recipient"."com_palm_pim_FolderEntry_id", "com_palm_pim_Recipient"."address","com_palm_pim_Recipient"."firstName","com_palm_pim_Recipient"."lastName" FROM "com_palm_pim_FolderEntry", "com_palm_pim_Recipient" WHERE ("com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."id" = "com_palm_pim_Recipient"."com_palm_pim_FolderEntry_id") AND ("com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."messageText" != "") AND (smsClass = 2);

Sent Messages
    SELECT "com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."id", "com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."messageText", "com_palm_pim_Recipient"."com_palm_pim_FolderEntry_id", "com_palm_pim_Recipient"."address","com_palm_pim_Recipient"."firstName","com_palm_pim_Recipient"."lastName" FROM "com_palm_pim_FolderEntry", "com_palm_pim_Recipient" WHERE ("com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."id" = "com_palm_pim_Recipient"."com_palm_pim_FolderEntry_id") AND ("com_palm_pim_FolderEntry"."messageText" != "") AND (smsClass = 0);
    Maybe when I have more time i can create a plugin solution for the phone so you can export the text to an excel file.
    Last edited by atlanta; 09/21/2009 at 10:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    SQLite 2009 Pro Enterprise Manager is a nice little SQLite GUI Admin console that will handle SQLite3 databases.

I see all my emails, email settings, contacts, chat, IM, etc... Everything... I can export it to csv and import it into a new sqlite db.

FREEWARE!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Ugggh, This database stuff is difficult. I am not experienced in running/writing sql queries.

The recordset com_palm_pim_Contact has the names of all my contacts...

However the corresponding phone numbers and email addresses for each contact are located in the recordset com_palm_pim_ContactPoint

(A similar situation exists for TextMsgs, and CallLogs [superlog])

1) How would I form a query that would display a result view that had both name, number, and email [if present], from both these recordsets? Keep in mind that contacts may have more than one phone number/email. My plan here would be to import into Outlook and sync with Google.

2) Would I need to form a query that included ALL of the fields in each recordset if my plan was to import them into the DB of a new or WebOSDoctored [wiped] phone? Making sure all fields were populated in the new DB if they were in the old DB.

Help?!
    I will release a command line tool that will back up and restore text messages and other stuff after 1.2.1 comes out.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I don't mean any disrespect or offense when I say this but the whole point of this for me .... is to have a working backup [meaning I have tested a restore process and it worx] prior to upgrading to 1.2.1

It's kinda critical that I be able to restore my call logs and txt msgs. It's great that I have offloaded a copy of the database but if I am unable to do anything with it, I need to explorer other options.

I appreciate ClipCarl taking the reigns on this, but I wasn't necessarily asking anyone to do this for me but to show me how, and I would really appreciate the help.
    Last edited by drewp; 09/26/2009 at 07:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    this does not appear to be working.....well...not totally.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Just adding my experience. Same phone, copied my PalmDatabase.db3 file, did webOS Doctor (I used v1.1, just in case v1.2 made a change to the file), and used webOS Quick Install to make a copy of the clean PalmDatabase.db3 and copied my original PalmDatabase.db3 back. Restarted and my texts were there. Forgot to mention that I also copied the .attachments directory so that the MMS messages would still be there too. Now if someone could find where the bookmarks are stored...
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Just making a note ..... will create a new thread later.....

Decided to follow irateb's, steps and use webos doctor 1.1 to wipe and then restore the entire /var/luna folder which I backed up and then upgrade to 1.2.....

I had initially used webos doctor 1.2 to wipe and then restore .... this gave me mixed results....

Here is the purpose of this post.....

Possible bug:: I noticed that my chat messages....had a Google Talk account and some of the chat messages involving Google Talk were acting funny, so I wanted to delete and recreate that Google Talk account ... So I removed it, but couldn't add it back after several retries on WebOS 1.2

Upon wiping and restoring using WebOS Doctore 1.1 I was able to add the Google Talk account to chat messaging again.

Bug???
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    Decided to follow irateb's, steps and use webos doctor 1.1 to wipe and then restore the entire /var/luna folder which I backed up and then upgrade to 1.2.....
    I haven't looked at what all is in /var/luna, but could one of the other files in there be causing your gTalk issue? I am not having any gTalk issues as far as i can tell...
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I suspect it was one of the other files, cuz after I proceeded by following in your footsteps, the gTalk problem went away....HOWEVER .... one of the other files [a different file] is causing the Palm Pre to log out of my Pre Account and renders the PRE inactive, yet ready to wipe the drive and setup a different PRe Profile.

I am currently narrowing down exactly which files need to be excluded.... so far.... the list is at below.....

Code:
    /luna/data/CarrierNetworkSettings.db3
    /luna/data/downloadhistory.db
    /luna/data/mediadb.db3
    /luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3
    /luna/preferences/systemprefs.db
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Looks like that's it..... I'll give it a few minutes....if I don't respond by this time tomorrow then it worked by excluding the above files.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Oh and by the way, in the end I used webOS Doctor 1.2 again. rather than upgrading from 1.1...took too long.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Still up and running. Looks like it took.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    ok, i just did this. you can do this all via webos quick install. i never rooted my phone to do this.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    this does not appear to be working.....well...not totally.
    Programs to do things like this are not done overnight.

Not if you want them easy to use, stable, and reliable (in no particular order).

Don't rush, and take good notes...

Regards,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Possible bug:: I noticed that my chat messages....had a Google Talk account and some of the chat messages involving Google Talk were acting funny, so I wanted to delete and recreate that Google Talk account ... So I removed it, but couldn't add it back after several retries on WebOS 1.2

Upon wiping and restoring using WebOS Doctore 1.1 I was able to add the Google Talk account to chat messaging again.

Bug???
    Sounds like a change in format/database structure. You may want to compare the structure between 1.1. and 1.2 databases. Could be field adds or deletes, possibly datatype changes, etcetera. There's probably an import running on the update from 1.1 to 1.2.

I've not looked closely, can SQLite databases contain triggers and stored procedures?

Regards,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Hi,

So I've downloaded the file PalmDatabse.db3 to my computer and installed SQLite2009 Pro Enterprise Manager as per the post below. Here comes the tricky part (for me anyway)...

I can view the text messages in com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread under the Table Data tab, but for each conversation I can only see the most recent text message, in the Summary column. I'm guessing the full conversation is stored in there somewhere but I don't know how to see it.

So I'm thinking the best way to do this is to extract the text messages from the .db3 file and then open the new .db3 file from the new device and import the text messages into it. Can anyone write some instructions on how to do this?

Thanks!!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    @prglewis, This is precisely what I was requesting earlier....I suspect it's knowledge that is not easily transfered via a message board. I guess DB Admins are paid pretty well for the information we're casually requesting.

@JerryG, Disregard the possible bug post, I am sure it was one of the DB files that I excluded in subsequent attempts that was causing the problem.

To recap..... I wiped my Pre with WebOS Doctor 1.2, and then copied over the entire "/var/luna" directory....excluding the files below....

Code:
    /luna/data/CarrierNetworkSettings.db3
    /luna/data/downloadhistory.db
    /luna/data/mediadb.db3
    /luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3
    /luna/preferences/systemprefs.db
    The call log and chat messages were restored completely.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I found the bookmark database here....

Code:
    /var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.browser_0
    My filename was: 0000000000000004.db

Is that what it's called for everyone else?

This DB File also contains all the browser history.

Also, it looks like the browser cookie info is located here

/var/palm/data/browswer-cookies.db

Restoring this means you won't have to re-login to PreCentral.net

I found this a bit too late or I would have tried to restore using these and see if my bookmarks history & cookies were restored successfuly or not.

Maybe someone else is a bit more brave. Maybe I'll try it over the next couple of days..
    Last edited by drewp; 10/02/2009 at 06:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Ugggh, This database stuff is difficult. I am not experienced in running/writing sql queries.

The recordset com_palm_pim_Contact has the names of all my contacts...

However the corresponding phone numbers and email addresses for each contact are located in the recordset com_palm_pim_ContactPoint

(A similar situation exists for TextMsgs, and CallLogs [superlog])

1) How would I form a query that would display a result view that had both name, number, and email [if present], from both these recordsets? Keep in mind that contacts may have more than one phone number/email. My plan here would be to import into Outlook and sync with Google.

2) Would I need to form a query that included ALL of the fields in each recordset if my plan was to import them into the DB of a new or WebOSDoctored [wiped] phone? Making sure all fields were populated in the new DB if they were in the old DB.

Help?!
    Hey go to my previous post it has sql commands on backing up text messages and look at how i joined the sms tables, it will give you a clue of how to combine the contacts and numbers. Just specify the table and fields you want from both and have it combine on to common fields
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast