Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415
    I am so freaking frustrated. I've now been working on this for like 5 hours. I should just take a crap on this phone, put it in the blender (will it blend?!?), and then burn it in a vat of dried hair and cat pee, but now I just want to WIN.

I found this solution here - http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...contact-2.html

So I had the can't text 1 number issue. I fixed it without deleting all texts.

Download any sqlite program to examine your database you will find entries in the com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread that have a firstName of the phone number that you can not text.

You will want to delete those and any other text messages that contain the broken phone number. You can't modify the table outside of the phone since there are extensions used by palm to create a Coallation sequence "Localzied_secondary". You will see errors to this effect if you try to delete them from sqlspy or sqlite manager.

I first setup openssh with putty. (careful dropbear and openssh are two different ssh apps) You could do all this with novaterm or on the pre keyboard if you have the terminal app. I wanted to be able to cut and paste.

Here are the steps

1. Delete the affected contact from contacts.
    2. Backup the database. (just in case)
    3. Load the database with sqlite3
    4. Load the extensions to the database
    5. Run the delete commands to fix individual records.
    6. use [crtl-d] to exit sqlite3
    6. Restart Luna
    7. Add the contact back
    8. txt like mad!

Here are the commands for steps 2-5 above.

cp -f /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /media/internal/
    sqlite3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3
    .load /usr/lib/sqlite3_palm_extension.so

DELETE FROM com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread WHERE firstname="brokenuser";
    DELETE FROM com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread WHERE firstname="(702) 555-1212";

Using the above example delete statements you can modify which row you want to delete. You should make another copy of your database and load it to verify that the correct entries are deleted.

HTH,
    Joe
    can someone explain this in laymen's terms? I have NO idea what openssh, dropbear, or novaterm are. I just hate that everything with this da*n phone has to be SO complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmegan6 View Post
    I am so freaking frustrated. I've now been working on this for like 5 hours. I should just take a crap on this phone, put it in the blender (will it blend?!?), and then burn it in a vat of dried hair and cat pee, but now I just want to WIN.

I found this solution here - http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...contact-2.html

can someone explain this in laymen's terms? I have NO idea what openssh, dropbear, or novaterm are. I just hate that everything with this da*n phone has to be SO complicated.
    I myself have said "F*** IT" and doctored my phone, did not bother to restore text messages (though I had every intention to, but the bad side effects put me off), and just left the webOS stock OS on my Sprint Pre.

I only want this thing to last me another 2 months, when I can upgrade to Android and the EVO 3D and be rid of this broken phone.

What do I mean by broken? Well let's see....

1. Touchscreen malfunctions abound (phantom touches/taps/slides, unresponsiveness, dead zones, etc.)
    2. Lagginess - like, ridiculous 20-second lag every few minutes
    3. Intermittent broken connection to 3G and wifi (there is something seriously wrong with the radios, no amount of forum searching or tinkering has fixed this)
    4. Speakerphone is the only way to take calls now (earpiece is flat-out broken, and headset jack is also broken)
    5. Notification sounds stopped working for some unexplained reason
    6. Oreo twisting effect gets worse and worse each week
    7. Volume buttons stick and power button is unresponsive at times
    8. Constant forced restarts for no reason ("too many cards" warning is especially annoying when I have no cards open)
    9. The list goes on with over a dozen native/3rd-party app complaints, but I'll stop here

AND YES, none of these symptoms have gone away since doctoring and installing a clean OS on to my Pre. It is a little over 1 year old (1st Pre on launch day, exchanged for a 3rd time around Jan 2010, so this is my 4th Pre that cost $100 due to "protection" plan deductible), so I would have thought it would last at least until my 2-year anniversary. It is hanging on by a thread. I only use the phone really for text messaging and tethering. I ignore phone calls if I know they're not urgent because I have to take every call via speakerphone (not cool, yo). Thank GOD I have a company-issued iPod Touch for getting s*** done, or I would be royally screwed for email, calendar, maps, apps, music, video, etc.

Can't wait for the EVO 3D to solve all these problems.
    You know what, I have no clue either... those are hardcore developer terms and I'm afraid my half-baked pseudo-techy-geek self won't be able to help. But to answer your other question (which I'm sure you found out already) is that you don't need to do a full erase before doctoring b/c doctoring is a full erase. You'd want to do a full erase when you're turning your phone in to get it replaced and you want to be sure that the data on your phone won't be easy to recover.

So even after doctoring, you're still having the mms problem to the one person?
    I feel tempted to just say "ah screw it" and not restore sms/mms when I get a replacement Pre but when I look at the amount of text in the text counter patch (some have like 1500+), it's hard to give up... mainly for sentimental reasons...
    yup. I've now doctored and re-doctored using various stages of my database backups. before they even sent me this replacement a few weeks ago when I originally had to do the text-restore thing, they offered me the palm pre 2, but I didn't want to lose all my texts and knew there was no way to transfer them to the 2, so I went with a "new" pre plus instead. this just really bums me out because I have a lot of personal texts that I'd like to keep for sentimental reasons (some from my 85 y/o grandpa even!!), as well as a bunch of work-related stuff in there that would take me forevvvver to fwd to myself.
    also - my friend offered to edit the palmdatabase.db3 file for me, but I just realized - will he be able to read all my texts if I send this to him?
    yup. I've now doctored and re-doctored using various stages of my database backups. before they even sent me this replacement a few weeks ago when I originally had to do the text-restore thing, they offered me the palm pre 2, but I didn't want to lose all my texts and knew there was no way to transfer them to the 2, so I went with a "new" pre plus instead. this just really bums me out because I have a lot of personal texts that I'd like to keep for sentimental reasons (some from my 85 y/o grandpa even!!), as well as a bunch of work-related stuff in there that would take me forevvvver to fwd to myself.
    So after you doctored and restored the database files, you did attempt to restore the original *OLD* database file from your attempt the other day, right? And remember, your OLD account db file has the info you pasted over from the NEW account db file so you'll need to replace those new values with the newest NEW value (taken from account db file from your Pre after you doctored yesterday). You did that right?
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by a dumb cat View Post
    Is there a way to pull this data off the phone and on to a computer to read it like a normal text file? I am willing to try this on my phone now that I need to doctor it, but in the event I get all the screwy side effects you guys are describing it would not be the end of the world if I only have the old SMSS messages in a text file on my computer and the phone newly doctored phone does not. Any help would be appreciated.

Something readable like below, in one long text file per conversation/contact (example):

------------
    John Smith: Hey you're not answering your phone, you must be out planking again. (TIME STAMP HERE)
    Me: Nope, I moved on to "topping." (TIME STAMP HERE)
    ------------

I would love for someone to do this, but alas I don't think anyone has the time/desire to do this.

Honestly, I only want to pull the information from one contact. I have almost 13,000 text message exchanges from this person alone. This is the only redeeming quality about the pre at this point, the fact that it never pruned any older messages.
    Thanks! Copying over those specific table values did the trick. I tried just copying the PalmDatabase.db3 before and that resulted in my phone resetting all the way.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    d) Copy and paste in the following values into Notepad:
    - alias
    - token
    - authenticatedTime
    - tokenexpireTime
    - accountexpirationTime
    - uniqueID
    - mod_num <-- I added this b/c crucian did this too
    (make sure there are no spaces before and after the values you copy)

Great writeup. I just followed the sqlite steps you wrote and was able to get all my texts back. I removed the mail, contacts and calendar accounts and re-added them to let them sync since I saw the calendar off by some hours as well.

One thing I noticed is that the key "mod_num" was "_mod_num" on my Pixi phones.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    We need some kinda video to walk us thru this. I am growing tired of losing new contacts to this sms issue. It's not worth the sacrifice of losing current sms info or other datat over someone new by doctoring. I know we are all but abandoned being Pre/Pixi(+/-) users, but could someone please come back for us????
    You are absolutely right that us legacy users have been left in the dust

But, if you have all your contacts synced to an email account instead of your Palm Profile then you won't have to worry about loosing any contacts. I personally use gmail but you can also use a free exchange account or I think yahoo, msn & probably a few others as well. I think my Palm profile only has 2 or 3 contacts and those are the Sprint numbers that came pre-programmed.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Hi there!

My phone was messing up and I did a partial erase, not thinking that it would erase all my text messages and call log. I'm frustrated about that! If I would have realized, I would have backed up! :-/ Anyways, I was able to recover files in USB mode. I'm wondering if it's possible to restore the texts and call log from anything I may have recovered? And also, if you know where the text files or database and call log files or database is located... and if it's even possible to somehow get that back on my phone. I have a Palm Pre. It's off. I'm almost afraid to use it because I don't want to overwrite any of those files...

Well, let me know.

Thanks!
    I cannot believe that, after 15 pages, nobody in this talented community of ours has come up with a solution? I just want my SMS messages for each of my contacts saved to a *.txt file.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasII View Post
    5) Backup the current PalmDatabase.db3 (make sure the filesystem is in RW mode) [mv /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3.old]
    How does one "make sure the filesystem is in RW mode"?
    Ok guys. I have been looking for about a month for a solution to extracting my text messages from my Pre 3 (webos 2.2.4) into a format that I can read and save for the future. WIth no further WebOS devices coming my way, I figure it is time to get my text messages off that HP server somewhere and onto my hard drive.

I have attempted the following four methods:

1. Find "objects.db" and copy it to a PC, then use SQLite to read it, map the appropriate data and export it.
    2. Use the command line to query the messaging app in WebOS to output txt messages into a JSON formatted .txt file. Convert that to XML. Convert that to Excel.
    3. Select a text conversation. select "copy all". paste the result in an email and email it to myself.
    4. Use Save/Restore to back up the data in the messaging app.

All four methods have their appeal, but in the end I have found all four of them unsatisfactory to complete my project. So I have posted a project on elance.com (https://www.elance.com/job/33804268/proposals) offering $300 to the person who can get my text messages exported to Excel format. I know $300 is not a lot of money for someone with amazing programming mojo, but it is some extra money if someone can make this process simple and usable - plus you should be able ot sell the result to other trapped WebOS users like myself.

Before I sign off, here are the hurtles I ran into with each of the four "solutions" above if it helps you sort this out.
    1. Found the "objects.db" file, but unable to open it with an SQLite GUI interface. Never been able to extract any data from the file
    2. This looked very promising until I realized it could only export a couple hundred messages at a time. I have an estimated 56K messages over 2 and a half years, so it would meaning running the script possible hundreds of times with about 3 minutes of time for each run. That becomes an unreasonable amount of time AND it still only gives me the messages in JSON which means I would have to take more time to convert them to something readable. I'd rather pay $300.
    3. "Copy all" works fine but does not capture time or date of the converstaion and does not delinate where one message ends and the other begins or who was the sender or reciever.
    4. Save/Restore no longer works for the messagine app in WebOS 2.1 and later.
    Has anyone got a solution for porting the text messages from a palm pre2 to a Samsung s3. My company have replaced the pre with the s3 and it looks like I'm having to leave some texts behind that I'd like to take with me to the new phone (different sized simms by the way)
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415