Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast
    So now that its been about 12 hours I have noticed some strange things going on.

1. Preware, ZumoDrive, Internalz, Save/Restore, YouView, & probably some other apps I haven't noticed are missing from my phone. They were there after I got everything up and running. None of them come up in Universal Search. I was able to find YouView in the catalog and download it for free. I don't know why it disappeared though.
    2. I have the Sconix launcher patch installed. When I make a change to the launcher all of my app icons disappear until I restart the phone. I just have a blank gray launcher. Universal Search returns no results.
    3. My contacts do not have their associated facebook pictures. They have the facebook information and profile icon, but no picture.
    4. Only the "Pre" ring tone is in my ringer list. All other stock ring tones are gone. I have no idea why.

Looking back it was not worth all of this to keep a bunch of texts. With all of the time I put in I could've just forwarded the important texts as emails. I think I will doctor tonight and use Save/Restore and Preware to get everything back to where it should be. I don't hold anyone responsible but myself. I didn't and still haven't read anything other than the instructions on page 11 of this thread. And I really have no business messing with database tables or whatever they're called. I'm sure I screwed something up on my own.

One thing I have noticed though, with the Pre- running its stock kernel my battery life is way better. I still wouldn't leave home without the charger, but its better. Of course I'll still put it back on tonight. I'd rather have **** battery life than wait forever for apps to open etc.
    "There's a troll for every part of the interweb. Somewhere in a troll forum there's a troll suggesting they just follow the rules."

Palm needs to hire Jason Robitaille
    Hi TheFishGuy,

I didn't have any issues with the launcher when I restored, but I don't use the sconix launcher patch. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling that? I suspect your issues 1 and 2 are linked. (have you used save/restore to restore the applications/launcher settings?)

Issue 3: Is known about, and fixes its self over time. This has been mentioned in a few other posts in this thread. ( I think I know why this happens, but it is not an easy fix) One way which should speed up fixing this is to remove the facebook account, restart, and re-add the facebook account.

Issue 4: check the ringtones folder on the USB partition, I suspect something didn't copy right. you can grab the files from inside the WebOS Doctor to restore them if they are definitely missing.
    I'm on my FIFTH Pre and I've done JSladen's manual backup and restore steps end-to end 3 times now so I'm very comfortable with the entire procedure. It works if you follow the steps. I've laid out the steps below in my own words to hopefully help you with the process.

NOTE, much credit goes to JSladen for providing so much detail for the backup and restoration process. You can use this as a supplemental writeup to JSladen's original writeup.

NOTE: All steps below are based on a PC. FYI, I'm on Win XP Pro.

==Edit==
    Ok, my 5th attempt didn't go so well since everything is fine except that the calendar is off by 18 hrs (so events show 18 hrs too soon). It turns out showie had the exact same problem. So if you follow JSLaden's restore steps, check your calendar when done! I've restored successfully 4 times with everything working so I'm not sure why my latest attempt didn't go as well.

==Edit 4/18/2011==
    Fixed it. Ok, I doctored my phone, signed into Palm profile, let Outlook set up and pull the calendar events. This time it was correct, no 18 hr shift. So I took that DB account info and put it back into the DB account file I had just backed up but then the calendar event time shifted forward by 18hrs again so I guess the acct file or the data file was too messed up to be used. So I reverted to my previous backup when I did the backup 2 weeks prior (on 4/2), put in the DB account info there and wah lah, everything is back to normal. I don't know what I did 2 weeks ago that messed it up but seeing how another user had the exact same problem (time shift forward by 18 hrs), I'm not sure if it was totally my fault. I did notice that the Pre had not done a Palm backup since 4/2 so something definitely was wrong. I kept trying to manually back up but got server cannot be found error. Anyway, now my Pre is fixed and backs up fine. Way too much trouble for all this!

ASSUMPTIONS BEFORE YOU BEGIN:

- Your old Pre is already in Developer Mode.
    - This writeup is for WebOS version 1.4.5 for both old Pre and new Pre. Make sure your old Pre is on the latest version before you begin.
    - Sorry, I don't have WebOS 2.x so this still only applies to 1.4.5.

THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU OFFICIALLY BEGIN (do these first; it will make your life easier)

1. Do you have Preware installed on your Pre? If yes, go to step 2. If not, install it. How do you install it? Ok, you need some fundamental knowledge of Pre's homebrew apps/patches and how they are installed. You'll need to have an app called WebOS Quick Install on your PC to sideload Preware to your Pre. I won't explain that process here.

2. Create the following folder structure on your PC (modify name and location as you want)

a) Create --> C:\PREBACKUP (Putting date in the folder name helps when you need to run this process multiple times over time like me. Example: C:\PREBACKUP 2011-04-15)

b) Create --> C:\PREBACKUP\DATABASE FILES

c) Create --> C:\PREBACKUP\DATABASE FILES\OLD <-- to dump the two database files from the Pre you're replacing.

d) Create --> C:\PREBACKUP\DATABASE FILES\NEW <-- to dump the two database files from the new Pre.

3. Download a free database editor called SQLite (google it) and place it somewhere on your computer that's convenient. It's a self-contained exe file so no install is necessary (yeah!). You will use this tool later to basically do an identity swap on your old database file that came out of your old Pre so that your new Pre will think that the old database (which contains all your saved text messages, etc) is the new database. In short, you'll be reading the values off the new database from your new Pre to plug into the database file that came from your old Pre.

4. If you don't have it already, use Preware to install Internalz Pro. When you install this, it will also tell you that you need a complimentary service called FileMgr so you'll end up getting both installed. Follow the prompts for device restart. You will use Internalz Pro to browse the folders in your Pre (that you can't normally see when your Pre is connected via USB mode to your PC) and extract the database files.

5. If you don't have it already, use Preware to install Save/Restore.

6. Make sure you know your Palm profile login and password. You'll need it later to activate your new Pre.

NOW YOU'RE READY TO BEGIN THE BACKUP PROCESS.

=== OLD PRE ===

On your old Pre, do the following.

1. Run Palm's official Backup.

2. Put your Pre on airplane mode.

3. Run Save/Restore and save your app/patch data.

Note: I'm not using PreBackupUtility. I've used it before and it's not reliable. When I restored my data, the restored text messages' dates and calendar dates were all offset. Thus, this writeup omits this tool.

4. Open Internalz Pro. You're going to copy the two database files.

a) Navigate to /var/luna/data/dbdata/.
    b) Select the file, PalmAccountDatabase.db3 and copy it to /media/internal/
    c) Select the file, Palmdatabase.db3 and copy it to /media/internal/

PalmAccountDatabase.db3 is the database file that contains your account information. In short, this tells the phone which Palm profile the phone is linked to and which DB file to read that contains all your text msgs, call logs, etc. This file is small (~50KB). You're going to open this file later.

PalmDatabase.db3 is the database file that contain all your texts, call logs, notes, etc. File size depends on how much data your phone accrued (mine was ~8MB). You're not going to be opening this file at all.

What you just did with Internalz Pro is that you moved these two database files from the part of the phone that's not visible from a PC when you're phone is connected to your PC via USB mode to the part where it is (your media folder where all your music and photos are located). You're doing this b/c you're now ready to copy these 2 files to your PC.

5. Plug the Pre to your PC, run it in USB mode. Copy the following folders (and everything inside) from your old Pre to your PC to C:\PREBACKUP\. You may have other folders but these are the ones I needed.

a) .attachments <-- contains images on mms so when you restore your data, your texts will show images.
    b) DCIM <-- contains your photos and videos. Might take awhile depending on how much you have.
    c) Messaging <-- contains images you've saved to your phone from mms so that they show up in the Photo app in under Messaging.
    d) ringtones <-- self explanatory
    e) wallpapers <-- self explanatory
    f) saverestore <-- contains backup files from Save/Restore app.

6. Copy PalmAccountDatabase.db3 and PalmDatabase.db3 files from Pre (you should see these on Pre's root folder) to C:\PREBACKUP\DATABASE FILES\OLD\

7. On the PC, make backup file for both PalmAccountDatabase.db3 and PalmDatabase.db3 files. If these files get deleted, corrupted, etc, you're hosed. You may even want to send these files to yourself on email for added measure.

8. FULL ERASE old Pre. If you don't need to turn in your old Pre, you don't have to erase it but turn off the Pre instead and DO NOT turn it back on until you're done restoring data to your new Pre.

You're now done with the old Pre.

=== NEW PRE ===

1. Get it activated (a Sprint rep did it for me at the store), then turn it on, log onto your Palm profile. Pre will automatically start restoring data from the Palm profile backup on their servers. You can skip the prompt to re-establish all your email, Facebook, Twitter, etc accounts if you want to continue on with the restore process. You can always re-establish those later.

2. Check WebOS version. If not 1.4.5, update it.

3. Put your Pre in developer mode. You know the deal - the Konami code (or google it).

4. Install Preware.

5. Install Internalz Pro with Preware.

6. Now you're going to copy the database files from the new Pre. Pretty much the same steps apply as you did before on the old Pre. Open Internalz Pro. You're going to copy the two database files.

a) Navigate to /var/luna/data/dbdata.

7. Plug the Pre to your PC, run it in USB mode.

8. Copy PalmAccountDatabase.db3 and PalmDatabase.db3 files from Pre to C:\PREBACKUP\DATABASE FILES\NEW\ <-- note the folder change, not OLD folder but NEW.

9. Open SQLite database tool.

FYI - You're only going to open and edit PalmAccountDatabase.db3 file from your old and new Pre. You don't need to open PalmDatabase.db3 files.

10. Using SQLite:

a) Open the *NEW* PalmAccountDatabase.db3 that's on your PC.
    b) Go to the middle tab, "Browse Data"
    c) In the "Table:" dropdown, select "com_palm_accountservices_data_AccountToken
    d) Copy and paste in the following values into Notepad:
    - alias
    - token
    - authenticatedTime
    - tokenexpireTime
    - accountexpirationTime
    - uniqueID
    - mod_num <-- I added this b/c crucian did this too
    (make sure there are no spaces before and after the values you copy)

NOTE: There is a bug in the version of SQLite I used (2.0b1). When I double click into each field so I can copy the values, the popup window appears momentarily and closes. This is b/c when you double click, the popup opens and the mouse cursor location defaults to the "Close" button and the second click of the double click actually closes the popup. So what you do is to hold the second click so you can move the mouse cursor away from the Close button.

e) Close the NEW PalmAccountDatabse.db3 file in SQLite.

11. Using SQLite:

a) Open the *OLD* PalmAccountDatabase.db3 that's on your PC.
    b) Go to the middle tab, "Browse Data"
    c) In the "Table:" dropdown, select "com_palm_accountservices_data_AccountToken
    d) Copy and paste in the values you pasted into Notepad earlier from the NEW database file into the OLD database file. You'll need to double click into each field again to bring up the popup. Make sure you click on "Apply Changes" to save the values before you close the popup.
    e) Save the OLD PalmAccountDatabase.db3 file in SQLite.
    f) Exit SQLite. You're done with this tool.

Now you're ready to copy all the files from your PC to new Pre.

12. Connect new Pre to PC in USB mode (it may still be in USB mode from steps before).

13. Copy the two database files from the OLD pre to the new Pre. The files to copy are:

C:\PREBACKUP\DATABASE FILES\OLD\PalmAccountDatabase.db3
    C:\PREBACKUP\DATABASE FILES\OLD\PalmDatabase.db3

Copy these to the media folder of new Pre (you can just put it at root level, meaning, if your Pre shows up on your PC as E:\PALM PRE, just copy the database files to E:\PALM PRE\.

14. Copy the following folders from C:\PREBACKUP\ to the media folder of new Pre:
    a) .attachments
    b) DCIM
    c) Messagingd) ringtones
    e) wallpapers
    f) saverestore

You may get prompts that some of these folders already exist. Overwrite all of them.

15. Open Internalz Pro. Copy the database files you just copied onto your Pre to where they belong in Pre's folder structure.

a) From /media/internal/ copy PalmAccountDatabase.db3 to /var/luna/data/dbdata/. You'll get a prompt to overwrite. Overwrite.

b) From /media/internal/ copy PalmDatabase.db3 to /var/luna/data/dbdata/. You'll get a prompt to overwrite. Overwrite.

16. Restart your Pre. Now check your SMS, call logs, etc. If everything went okay, this process should have restored the following:
    - SMS
    - MMS with images
    - Call logs
    - Photos, videos, ringtones, wallpapers.

You would have lost avatar in contacts and SMS/MMS however. But if you're pulling contacts from Facebook for example, the next time someone changes their profile pic, the next update will bring the new image over and you'll get the avatar. Alternatively, you can remove the Facebook app then re-install it and doing so will immediately pull all the avatars to your phone.

17. Run Save/Restore. (I think this also restores memos if not done by Palm Backup or coming from the database)

18. Check your phone thoroughly to make sure everything is working. Especially check the following:
    - Calendar: make sure the events show up at the correct date/time.
    - Contacts: make sure your contact names match up with the correct phone numbers and email addresses.
    - Palm backup - make sure you can back up!
    - App Catalog: You're able to launch it, browse, and download/install an app.
    - Sprint Navigation
    - Other GPS apps like google maps, Yelp.

Good luck!!! Again, many thanks to JSladen for basically providing all the foundational steps.
    Last edited by laoh; 05/26/2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: fixed typos
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I can confirm from personal, first-hand experience that Palm Profile in webOS 2.1.0 does in fact backup the 'call log' and 'text messages'.
    I wonder if there was a way to merge the files from the Palm DB file that was on 1.4.5 with the palm profile on 2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by JSladen View Post
    Just had another thought - recently HPalm have made changed to how the calendar syncs, mainly relating to the time period which things like google sync over. I am wondering if they have changed something else at the same time. If you (or someone else who has had this issue - I know there are some, but they haven't bothered posting in this thread, but are hopefully reading....) could have a look inside the database and compare the calendar entry information between the fresh db after reloading your profile, and see if there are any changed entries there.

I would offer to look for people, but as it contains every bit of information stored on your palm I would not suggest giving the files to anyone else to look at.

As this has only just started happening since feb, I highly suspect it is related to this. If I had a spare device I would look into this myself, but I do not have access to one.
    I restored my 4th Pre on 3/12 and I did not have any Calendar synch issues. I restored my 5th Pre on 4/2 (my 4th Pre's keyboard was defective) and this time, the calendar is off. It is ahead by 18 hours so an event scheduled for Wed 12pm will show up on Tue 4pm.

I went back and compared _mod_num between fresh DB and old DB and they were different. I pulled the DB off my current phone, replaced the _mod_num value, restarted but didn't fix. I removed exchange calendar (outlook) after turning off network time, then re-added, synched, but that didn't correct the calendar

Got any ideas? Thanks.
    I removed & added the facebook account, so that's fixed.

My apps were not downloading, they would have the triangle ! Symbol over them but never update/download. I ended up deleting those. Turns out I never even opened most of them anyway.

laoh, your step-by-step is brilliant. It should be stiky'd somewhere in all the forum categories. The hardest part of the switch was the .db part. Reading your explanation and method would've helped a lot.

thank you to all who helped. When I get to my pc I'll be sure to click the thanks buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by showie View Post
    I think I followed all of jsLaden's steps faithfully and it appeared to work at first. However, I noticed lately that all of my calendar entries are now 18 hours off (maybe 17 1/2??). It's happening with all my entries; Exchange, Google, etc. The weirdest thing is if you open an entry, it shows the correct time in the detail.

Does anyone know how to edit the database to stop this behavior? I've already gone a few weeks with my new Pre+ and don't want to lose my texts or part of them...
    So my fifth restore attempt went fairly smoothly except I found out later that I have the exact same problem as this. My calendar is 18hrs off (events appear 18hrs too soon). Seeing how both of us have the exact same problem, I guess it's not a fluke. There must be value(s) in the DB that we can tweak to fix this... anyone please?
    My calendar has been fine since the switch.
    "There's a troll for every part of the interweb. Somewhere in a troll forum there's a troll suggesting they just follow the rules."

Palm needs to hire Jason Robitaille
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFishGuy View Post
    My calendar has been fine since the switch.
    I doctored my phone and reverted back to a backup I took on 4/2 and now everything is fine Lots of work though!!
    4. Open Internalz Pro. You're going to copy the two database files.

a) Navigate to /var/luna/data/dbdata/.
    I know I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but I cannot find this folder!! I stayed home tonight just so I could do this to my "new" pre+, but I am getting so frustrated I want to cry. I am just not as tech-savvy as I thought and this is all so overwhelming, even when dumbed down for me like laoh has done. any help would be much appreciated!!

*update* I AM a moron, as it turns out. found it. still want to cry.
    is there a video to guide me how to backup my text messages? i only need to back up text messages. anyone know any form of video to step by step back up SMS MEssages? i keep reading and i get somewhat lost in the middle of everything. someone
    okay I'm back for more. I successfully transferred all my texts onto my new phone, and gave myself many pats on the back for doing so (this was a MAJOR feat for me as I am quite technically un-inclined .

however. I have recently run into message log not correctly associated with contact - Support Community this problem with my new boyfriend's contact, and it is actually quite inconvenient as he is the one person I'd actually really like to text, and of course he's also the one person my phone is not allowing me to text. so, I guess I have to doctor my phone? never done that before. how would doing the steps outlined on this page be modified when doctoring a phone (versus moving info to a whole new phone)?

thanks for all your help
    Hi mmmegan6, which set of instructions did you use to restore the text messages to your new phone?

The original instructions towards the start of the thread will cause a fault similar to this in some cases.
    I followed laoh's instructions on this page (14) to a T, mainly because I need things spelled out for me

I guess I'm just really out of the loop about all this stuff - I don't even really understand what "doctoring" is, but according to the threads I've found related to my problem that is what I need to do, and I assume I'll have to restore all my texts per the method in here after doing it.

any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm willing to donate to your cause if you can make this any easier on me!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmegan6 View Post
    I followed laoh's instructions on this page (14) to a T, mainly because I need things spelled out for me

I guess I'm just really out of the loop about all this stuff - I don't even really understand what "doctoring" is, but according to the threads I've found related to my problem that is what I need to do, and I assume I'll have to restore all my texts per the method in here after doing it.

any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm willing to donate to your cause if you can make this any easier on me!
    "Doctor-ing" means to wipe your phone clean of the operating system and data and to install a fresh new copy of the operating system on your phone. Some ppl have to resort to this if something's screwed up on their phone that no amount of tinkering can fix. There's an official Palm tool that let's you wipe the Pre clean called "webOS Doctor" and you can d/l it here:

Palm - webOS Doctor - Select your device

You can follow the directions and doctor your phone. However, before you do, I would take a backup of the data just like you did before when you attempted to restore data to your new Pre. However, restoring this data off your current phone back to the same phone after doctoring may just put bad data back on the phone that's causing the error you're seeing (if due to bad data) so even after you run this process of doctoring and restoring, you may still see the same error. But take a back up of your current data anyway but let's instead restore the data from your first attempt (I hope you still have that data).

You can doctor your phone and then restore the data from your first attempt with fingers crossed that the two OLD database files from the first attempt that you ended up restoring is good. Remember, after you doctor your Pre, your Pre is now the same as the *new* Pre outlined in my writeup so you'll need to use Internalz like you did before to get the 2 database files from the new Pre, read the tokens and stuff from that and copy them to the backup from the first attempt, then put those back into your Pre... hope this made sense... if not, do ask more questions and we'll try to help you the best we can! Good luck!

If you follow a few posts up, on my 5th restore attempt, the calendar hours didn't line up (events were offset by 18 hrs). So after 2 weeks of trying to fix it, I gave up, doctored my phone, and ran the restore process again and thankfully it worked.

I have this sneaking suspicion that maybe the 18 hr offset is caused if you take a back up on a certain day and you restore on another, like you back up on Sunday afternoon but didn't get around to restoring your phone til Monday... maybe something with the day/time change that confuses the server. But it's only a suspicion... but if I had to do another restore session, I would all do it in one day's time.
    you are awesome! thanks so much! I feel like an old pro at this now (had to do it twice when I got my new phone because something weird happened after the first attempt involving a re-start, but the second time worked. both were done painstakingly and I'm pretty sure I spent about 5 hours total reading those webOS pdf's and figuring out sqlite, etc.)

here goes nothing!
    8. FULL ERASE old Pre. If you don't need to turn in your old Pre, you don't have to erase it but turn off the Pre instead and DO NOT turn it back on until you're done restoring data to your new Pre.
    should I do this? or does installing the doctor thing do this?
    and just for your files, my SMS problem happened when I did exactly what was described in that palm forum thread - he called my phone, I texted him from the call log, THEN added to contacts. so I'm guessing/hoping this is just because of that bug and not corrupted data on my phone (although I have no reason to believe the two are mutually exclusive).
    Is there a way to pull this data off the phone and on to a computer to read it like a normal text file? I am willing to try this on my phone now that I need to doctor it, but in the event I get all the screwy side effects you guys are describing it would not be the end of the world if I only have the old SMSS messages in a text file on my computer and the phone newly doctored phone does not. Any help would be appreciated.

Something readable like below, in one long text file per conversation/contact (example):

------------
    John Smith: Hey you're not answering your phone, you must be out planking again. (TIME STAMP HERE)
    Me: Nope, I moved on to "topping." (TIME STAMP HERE)
    ------------
    Last edited by a dumb cat; 05/26/2011 at 10:08 PM.
    omggggggggggggg I am so ****ed. I doctored it, did all the steps, and it STILL won't let me text him.

I am starting to REALLY fuggin hate this phone/palm.