Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JSladen View Post
    I have just upgraded to a Pre+ from my Pre, and finally succeeded in transferring all my messages and call log.

Method Used is similar to some posted previously, but with the addition of some basic database editing.
    The bit that I edited is the com_palm_accountservices_data_AccountToken table found in PalmAccountDatabse.db3

The following Fields needed checking/changing to the new values:
    alias, token, state, authenticatedTime, tokenexpireTime, account expirationTime, uniqueId.

This method assumes you have Preware and Internalz installed, PreBackupUtility and Save/Restore are optional.

1. Old Phone: Use Pre's built-in backup utility
    2. Old Phone: Go into Aeroplane mode.
    3. *optional* Old phone: if you wish run Pre Backup Utility, save/Restore etc. then do it now
    4. Old phone: back up /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 and /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3 to somewhere in /media/internal using Internalz
    5. Old Phone: Copy everything off in USB mode, then do a Full Erase and power off.

--**New Phone should be same webOS version as the old one was, so safest bet is to simply Doctor it to that before you start**--

6. New Phone: Sign into Palm Profile
    7. New Phone: Wait a while for app and contacts etc. to restore
    8. New Phone: Install Preware and reinstall Internalz now. *optional* Reinstall Save/Restore and PreBackupUtility as well
    9. New Phone: go into Aeroplane mode
    10. New Phone: back up /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 and /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3 to somewhere in /media/internal using Internalz
    11: New Phone: connect in USB mode, and copy off the new saved database files
    12: Make a backup of both sets of databases just in case you have issues later.
    13: Open Both PalmAccountDatabase.db3 files, and copy the above values from the new palm file, and insert them into the old database file. (google for a free sqlite editor if you don't have one)
    14. Copy your backups/photos etc., and the Old PalmDatabase.db3 and the edited PalmAccountDatabase.db3 to the USB drive of the new phone.
    15: *optional* New Phone: If you ran PreBackupUtility then restore at this point, but don't restart yet.
    16: New Phone: Copy the new palm databases from /media/internal to /var/luna/data/dbdata/* using Internalz
    17: New Phone: Once it has said it has copied then Reboot
    18: New Phone: check if your texts/contacts etc. open ok, and you can create a new test contact to make sure it is reading/can edit the restored files ok.
    19: New Phone: Exit Aeroplane mode
    20: New Phone: Open the Palm Backup App, and tell it to backup, if it succeeds then you are sorted. If it has failed then it will tell you that you are signed out, and clear your data/restart at this point.
    21: *optional* New Phone: Open each program listed in save/restore to create their data files, then Restore your stuff with save/restore and reboot.
    22: Hope it keeps working

If you don't wish to Erase your old palm, but then power it on at any point, then it will try and login to your profile, and screw everything up. If you don't wish to erase it until your replacement palm is working then make sure you leave it in Aeroplane mode, then once your new palm is happy you can open it up and Erase everything without it connecting over wifi or 3g. (or else Doctor it, but that will no longer remove your USB partition data)

Disclaimer: This worked for me, and while I think it should work for everyone I have no way of know if it will for sure. I take no responsibility for the time and stress that may be taken doing this procedure, or attempting to repeat this after a failed attempt. This took me 2 days of failed attempts and playing to perfect to a working system for my Pre.

If anyone has Questions, then please ask.

Fantastically useful post - thanks very much!! Did you happen to check for any MMS messages that had enclosed photos or videos? Do those work?

I'd love to hear from more folks that this works for. Maybe DrewPre and/or the Save/Restore folks could work this into the backup apps?
    All my MMS with Pictures attached still show them ok.

The MMS attachments are stored in /media/internal/.attachments/mms, so as long as that directory is restored along with the Palm databases there is no reason why they should not appear correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtorres View Post
    I need help from someone who has succesfully been able to get to the directory where text messages are found.

I have in the past with guidance from someone via IRC been able to "succesfully" copy this file from my old Pre onto a replacement Pre...well that was several months ago and I don't remember and the supplied instructions at the beginning of this thread are not easy to follow for someone without experience....so if someone would be kind enough via aol or yahoo chat, to walk me through from step one all the way through, I would really appreciate it.

I am selling my Pre and want to keep a copy on my computer of this file.

I am on aol as xcelprintingcom or on yahoo as xcelprinting

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    I too am planning on selling my Pre when my EVO comes in. I would like to be able to back up my text message logs to my computer in txt form or on word or whatever, is this possible?
    Can some one please post command line instructions of how to backup the file using command line terminal from a PC? My Pre screen cracked and I can't use Internalz or the backup util to backup my text messages? What are the command line instructions on how to copy the databases from the dir to the usb partition so I can copy it to my desktop?

Thanks..

Edit: Nevermind...actually went back and read the OP...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 07/19/2010 at 01:30 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    hi,
    can anyone help or point me to the proper thread if this is wrong one. i doctored my phone and restored using 'pre backup utility' and the official palm backup. i'm getting odd behavior in sms. i only use simple chat, not an account.
    -when i restored, the listing was in main screen for old conversations, but when i texted my bubble did not appear, but they got the message and their bubble appeared in the chat window.
    -i swiped away all conversation listings to clear main window (didn't really care about saving old conversaions). i still get the same behavior; i can text someone, but my bubble does not appear, only their answer, but going back to main screen the conversation is still not listed.... however
    -if search for a contact thru universal search and select sms, all of the old texts come up, including my bubbles which were previously invisible. going back to main screen still fails to show the conversation.
    -when i get a new message, the preview shows properly, the sender is listed in main window with first portion of text, but opening the conversation there is no bubble from the person (in this case, this was from a person who was in the conversation window during the save/restore)
    i only want to 'reset' the sms so conversations and texts show as they should, just thought i would detail this in case it was helpful diagnostically somehow.
    i was going to delete the /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 file, but reading more it sounds like this might delete my contacts as well.

can i reset or clear the sms database so sms displays properly.
    thanks.
    usa, sprint cdma 1.4.1.1
    (As far as I understand) Pre Backup utility restores the sms part of the database exactly as it was, with no taking account of the fact that contact id's and such change when when you restore from your profile, which is why the entire PalmDatabase/Accountdatabase should be played with as 1 item (In my opinion). To clear all your sms you should do a data and apps erase, then log back into your profile to have it restore your contacts and applications, this will not restore your sms as they are not saved in your online profile. You will loose any application data that isn't saved in /media/internal, or that you don't have backed up in Save Restore.
    (As far as I understand) Pre Backup utility restores the sms part of the database exactly as it was, with no taking account of the fact that contact id's and such change when when you restore from your profile, which is why the entire PalmDatabase/Accountdatabase should be played with as 1 item (In my opinion). To clear all your sms you should do a data and apps erase, then log back into your profile to have it restore your contacts and applications, this will not restore your sms as they are not saved in your online profile. You will loose any application data that isn't saved in /media/internal, or that you don't have backed up in Save Restore.
    hi,
    i will try that.
    so, when i send a new text, it is not showing up in the conversation list, but searching for the contact (universal search) and opening their sms number brings up the recently sent text? would this probably be fixed too- if i understand you, the database no longer can link a text with a contact globally (in the conversation screen) but does link it related to the individual message?
    thanks for the help
    Last edited by everette13; 07/20/2010 at 05:51 PM.
    i was trying to find out if I can transfer my text messages and call logs from my treo 680 to a new palm pre or pre+

couldnt figure out if this thread addressed that.

can someone please clarify?

thanks.
    Hi kihtap,

as far as I am aware there is no way of getting your sms messages from any other phone to a Palm Pre/Pixi, short of forwarding every single one to yourself, which would mess up who they were from.
    i've read this thread so far and did back up my palmdatabase3.db3 to my desktop. i have sqlite reader and *think* i have found the sms messages i want to extract.

the thing is, i don't know how to be able to read the entire thread for one particular contact (it's about 3 months worth) and i wanted to know how to

1. read it
    2. export to csv, txt

will the methods include the time stamps?

thanks!
    Wish I would have looked for this sooner. Am annoyed that I have lost so many messages and info.
    I have just upgraded to a Pre+ from my Pre, and finally succeeded in transferring all my messages and call log.

Method Used is similar to some posted previously, but with the addition of some basic database editing.
    The bit that I edited is the com_palm_accountservices_data_AccountToken table found in PalmAccountDatabse.db3

The following Fields needed checking/changing to the new values:
    alias, token, state, authenticatedTime, tokenexpireTime, account expirationTime, uniqueId.

This method assumes you have Preware and Internalz installed, PreBackupUtility and Save/Restore are optional.

1. Old Phone: Use Pre's built-in backup utility
    2. Old Phone: Go into Aeroplane mode.
    3. *optional* Old phone: if you wish run Pre Backup Utility, save/Restore etc. then do it now
    4. Old phone: back up /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 and /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3 to somewhere in /media/internal using Internalz
    5. Old Phone: Copy everything off in USB mode, then do a Full Erase and power off.

--**New Phone should be same webOS version as the old one was, so safest bet is to simply Doctor it to that before you start**--

6. New Phone: Sign into Palm Profile
    7. New Phone: Wait a while for app and contacts etc. to restore
    8. New Phone: Install Preware and reinstall Internalz now. *optional* Reinstall Save/Restore and PreBackupUtility as well
    9. New Phone: go into Aeroplane mode
    10. New Phone: back up /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 and /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3 to somewhere in /media/internal using Internalz
    11: New Phone: connect in USB mode, and copy off the new saved database files
    12: Make a backup of both sets of databases just in case you have issues later.
    13: Open Both PalmAccountDatabase.db3 files, and copy the above values from the new palm file, and insert them into the old database file. (google for a free sqlite editor if you don't have one)
    14. Copy your backups/photos etc., and the Old PalmDatabase.db3 and the edited PalmAccountDatabase.db3 to the USB drive of the new phone.
    15: *optional* New Phone: If you ran PreBackupUtility then restore at this point, but don't restart yet.
    16: New Phone: Copy the new palm databases from /media/internal to /var/luna/data/dbdata/* using Internalz
    17: New Phone: Once it has said it has copied then Reboot
    18: New Phone: check if your texts/contacts etc. open ok, and you can create a new test contact to make sure it is reading/can edit the restored files ok.
    19: New Phone: Exit Aeroplane mode
    20: New Phone: Open the Palm Backup App, and tell it to backup, if it succeeds then you are sorted. If it has failed then it will tell you that you are signed out, and clear your data/restart at this point.
    21: *optional* New Phone: Open each program listed in save/restore to create their data files, then Restore your stuff with save/restore and reboot.
    22: Hope it keeps working

If you don't wish to Erase your old palm, but then power it on at any point, then it will try and login to your profile, and screw everything up. If you don't wish to erase it until your replacement palm is working then make sure you leave it in Aeroplane mode, then once your new palm is happy you can open it up and Erase everything without it connecting over wifi or 3g. (or else Doctor it, but that will no longer remove your USB partition data)

Disclaimer: This worked for me, and while I think it should work for everyone I have no way of know if it will for sure. I take no responsibility for the time and stress that may be taken doing this procedure, or attempting to repeat this after a failed attempt. This took me 2 days of failed attempts and playing to perfect to a working system for my Pre.

If anyone has Questions, then please ask.
    If you got this method to work for you please post which sql editor you used. I have not been able to find one that allows me to edit.
    I just want something that can extract it, with names/numbers, timestamp, and messaging. why is it so hard to pull that off?
    ok i cant seem to read anymore of this huge thread of posts. I have gone from the palm pre ( i am so gonna miss Palm) to the HTC evo. I want to extract my text messages and either forward them to a file on my computer or put them in my new phone if thats even possible.

HELP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by crucian4 View Post
    If you got this method to work for you please post which sql editor you used. I have not been able to find one that allows me to edit.
    I Used SQLite Database Browser

@Joe Trojan and desmiller

All of the information is contained in the database files, so you can extract it manually from there. I'm am not aware of an automated tool to do it for you yet.
    I Used SQLite Database Browser

@Joe Trojan and desmiller

All of the information is contained in the database files, so you can extract it manually from there. I'm am not aware of an automated tool to do it for you yet.
    okay. so, basically you extracted, edited, and then imported. is this correct? i am using that program but, i thought it could be edited within the program.
    and of course i thanked you for the response.
    I did edit within the program, there should be no need to do any extracting or importing to do the required edits.

In SQLite Database Browser:
    Open the Database you need to edit
    Go to the browse data tab, and then select the table you need to edit
    double click on the entry you wish to edit, make your change, then hit apply changes.
    Save Database
    Close the Database
    I did edit within the program, there should be no need to do any extracting or importing to do the required edits.

In SQLite Database Browser:
    Open the Database you need to edit
    Go to the browse data tab, and then select the table you need to edit
    double click on the entry you wish to edit, make your change, then hit apply changes.
    Save Database
    Close the Database
    I am using Vista Ultimate. I did that. A little box pops up then immediately closes. I do not get a chance to see what the box contains. That was why I asked about another program. I do not know why it is doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucian4 View Post
    I am using Vista Ultimate. I did that. A little box pops up then immediately closes. I do not get a chance to see what the box contains. That was why I asked about another program. I do not know why it is doing that.
    I got it to work. For some reason when I double click to open, the pointer jumps to the close button. I have to hold down the second click and move the mouse from it in order for it to stay open. If I just double click it automatically closes the window. I am using a wireless mouse and keyboard by Microsoft with new batteries.
    thanks again jsladen. i got it to work following your instructions. i did change one more field all the way to the right. it was mod_num. the value was different so i changed it as well. took a while but, it backed up fine i was able create, modify, and delete a new contact, calendar event, and task.