Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub0nIceman View Post
    I tried this today and am getting the following message:

cannot rename '/media/internal/PalmAccountDatabase.db3': No such file or directory

novaterm shows that there's nothing in /media/internal

any help?
    You didn't copy anything, if you attempted to copy PalmAccountDatabase.db3.

Fortunately enough for you, it's a bad idea to copy this file over anyways. Consider yourself lucky--you won't waste hours and hours of your life trying to figure out why the heck your phone is not functioning properly.
    no 'Thanks'
    Well amazingly I have to report that I was able to successfully backup and recover all my texts and call logs by copying the PalmDatabase file thru WebOS Quick Install as described in this thread. It has now been a week and all still seems fine. I have to admit I am quite amazed it worked. I had not done this since I bought my PRE on opening day last June. I have since installed all my old patches and 800Mhz overclock. But I am still amazed that it takes a herculean effort to do something that we could do years ago very simply on our old palm devices. I still argue this is one of the main reasons that Palm is obviously in a slow death spiral - they are missing the basics. I just pray that some white knight rides to the rescue (again).
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    My backup is still going strong months later. However, I did do the backup to the same exact Pre. Srdiamond did you backup your texts to a new device or the same one?
    Same device so I am sure that eliminated lots of problems....
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    Does that mean you got everything back and the transfer of text messages and call history worked?
    did nothing work at all? or that you had problems like apps disappearing for example?

when i did it everything was okay until i added the db3 file to the new device, when all my apps disappeared! so i had to decide what was more important if my data, that i did not want to loose, or the apps, that i could always reinstall.
    Wow, this really is bad news. Palm should realize that many smartphone users (especially former Treo users) are data hounds and like to keep their old data. So not being able to save old call history and especially SMSs and MMSs is a supreme let down. Again, hopefully someone will create an application (like Treodesktop for the Palm Treos: Treo Software - Treodesktop) to export data from the PalmDatabase.db3 file. One day soon, I hope...
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Just did this using a different Pre. So far everything works. *Crosses Fingers.*
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasII View Post
    Didn't see anything like this on the forums so figured I'd share my experience in saving my SMS messages, call log, and possibly other things when exchanging my Pre today.

This should theoretically work for backing up information as well, in case you are worried about bricking your phone, wipe clean every so often, etc.

Sorry in advance for the instructions, I am sure I left something out somewhere. I am not the most technical person in the world, but everything seems to be fine so far.

1) You will need to have rooted your Pre.
    2) Copy /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to /media/internal
    3) Connect via USB (or SFTP) and copy PalmDatabase.db3 to your computer.
    4) Switch out Pre's!
    5) Move the PalmDatabase.db3 back to the USB drive on your new Pre
    5) Backup the current PalmDatabase.db3 (make sure the filesystem is in RW mode) [mv /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3.old]
    6) Move your old database to the correct postion [mv /media/internal/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3]
    7) Switch back to Read-Only mode
    8) Reset the Pre
    9) ...
    10) Profit!

I was able to keep all of my text message conversations, call logs, and possibly some other things across the move.

Hope this helps anyone else looking to keep their SMSes across an exchange, or just looking for a way to backup/restore them!
    how do u "root" your pre?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Do Not Do This!!!

I have been playing around with coming up with a backup solution for the Pre and this is one of the things I tried. While it does restore text message history and other info, if you do this in order to switch to a different phone you will eventually have problems (it may work OK to backup / restore to the same Pre). If you try this when you exchange phones the next time your phone tries to do a profile backup you will end up in the dreaded "Restart Required You are no longer signed in to your Palm Profile" loop. You will need to run WebOS doctor on your phone to fix it (or maybe move the other PalmDatabase.db file back).

In order to do this without messing up your replacement Pre you will need to backup and restore individual tables in the database and not the whole file.
    Ok. After 2 days of smooth sailing my phone did this. I did a reboot and so far all seems to be ok. Will update as events occur.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Do Not Do This!!!

I have been playing around with coming up with a backup solution for the Pre and this is one of the things I tried. While it does restore text message history and other info, if you do this in order to switch to a different phone you will eventually have problems (it may work OK to backup / restore to the same Pre). If you try this when you exchange phones the next time your phone tries to do a profile backup you will end up in the dreaded "Restart Required You are no longer signed in to your Palm Profile" loop. You will need to run WebOS doctor on your phone to fix it (or maybe move the other PalmDatabase.db file back).

In order to do this without messing up your replacement Pre you will need to backup and restore individual tables in the database and not the whole file.
    Well, how do you restore individual tables in the database?
    I need help from someone who has succesfully been able to get to the directory where text messages are found.

I have in the past with guidance from someone via IRC been able to "succesfully" copy this file from my old Pre onto a replacement Pre...well that was several months ago and I don't remember and the supplied instructions at the beginning of this thread are not easy to follow for someone without experience....so if someone would be kind enough via aol or yahoo chat, to walk me through from step one all the way through, I would really appreciate it.

I am selling my Pre and want to keep a copy on my computer of this file.

I am on aol as xcelprintingcom or on yahoo as xcelprinting

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"
    no one? theres tons of experienced linux users here, anyone?
    "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"
    This db3 is an sqlite database which contains multiple tables, some of which may not be portable across devices. Running sqlite3 on the database and typing /list tables should show what tables are actually in that database. Then "select * FROM [table]" should show the contents of the table, as well as a format that can be used to repopulate the same table on a new device as an alternative to copying the entire PalmDatabase.db3 file from your old device. For those that want to restore their csv backups from Palm Desktop, they might create a python/perl script to do that. Anyone who wants help with this can join #webos-internals on irc.freenode.org.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I've done this 5 times now to different phones each time. And 30+ times same phone to same phone. I have absolutely no idea what phone specific data people are talking about... Once you overwrite the old file your phone automatically writes in whatever data it needs I.e. How it adds new texts to the file. The only time you will ever have any issues with this method is if you do not wait for the file to copy over entirely. Like I said I've done this dozens of times. Just replace the file and leave it alone for a half hour or so before you unplug it, close internalz, restart it etc. After you've left it sitting for a while then it will work fine but it frequently takes time to copy it over since most peoples text logs are several megabytes at minimum.
    I'll be getting a replacement Pre Plus on the 12th and I'd really like to save my text messages. Lots of things have happened in my life since getting this phone, and I would like to archive it in text form.

So, unless someone figures out how to transport text messages only across the databases, it looks like I'll be transplanting my old phone's PalmDatabase.db3 into my new phone. I've read the entire thread, and I've pieced together a plan to:

1. Use Pre's built-in backup utility
    2. On old phone, back up /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3
    3. On old phone, back up .attachments, DCIM, etc.
    4. Sign into Palm Profile
    5. Wait a while for apps and synergy to sync
    6. On new phone, back up PalmDatabase.db3
    7. Overwrite the new phone's db3 with the old phone's
    8. Overwrite .attachments, DCIM, etc.
    9. Open and edit Contacts, Email, Texts, Calendar
    10. Reboot
    11. Remove then add Google and Facebook profiles (for contact pictures in texts)
    12. Hope for the best

If it doesn't work, I should just be able to restore the new phone's original PalmDatabase.db3 and do a reset, right?

Edit: I'm going to do the above steps, but only if DrewPre's Pre Backup Utility doesn't work.

Edit 2: Success! I used Pre Backup Utility and all turned out well. Text messages are completely intact as are all of my contacts.

Edit 3: Ok, maybe not so great. Yeah, all my old texts are still there, but new ones don't appear (even ones I sent). A little more troubling is that one of my texts went to a completely different person than who I sent it to.

I'm going to try just doing the PalmDatabase.db3 overwrite.

Edit 4: Ok, looking better now. I just did a simple overwrite of PalmDatabase.db3 and restarted (after using the Doctor). Text messages are going to the right people now and my old ones are still there! Just working on getting pictures to show up in contacts now (shouldn't be too hard).

Last Edit (I promise!): Deleting/adding my Google and Facebook profiles refreshed the contact photos in the Contacts app, but not in Messaging. However, I did figure out how to fix it. In the Contacts app, you need to select the user who you want the photo for, tap the icon for multiple profiles, and reconfirm that you want Facebook to be the primary profile. Even if it's already selected as primary, do this so that it will refresh. Now everything is exactly as I want it.

Thanks for this thread, everyone. I am eternally grateful.
    Last edited by Dattu; 07/12/2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Too many reasons, haha.
    Sorry about the double post. It was getting a little crowded. Guess what. Problems came up. Whenever I would text one of my friends, it wouldn't show up in the conversation and he would not receive it. Ugh, I can only assume those messages went to someone else in my contact list like last time. So, I did the Pre Backup Utility, this time only selecting it to back up the text messages. Doctored and restored the backup. Ugh, now my contacts is all messed up (when I try to open one, it immediately closes) and none of them have photos.

I give up. I'm Doctoring again for the last time hopefully. I guess I'll just have to say goodbye to those messages forever. ;..(
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Oh lala this topic surfaced again. I would not recommend these at all (my 45345 time saying this.) Me and another webos-internals user broke down the java that handles this file and if you do different copy of this file to a phone that it was NOT CREATED on it will cause profile errors along with whoever knows what else. there are current ways of backing up text messages using Save/Restore app in preware.

BE SAFE THAN SORRY
    and
    DON'T USE THIS METHOD!

That is all :-)
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    there are current ways of backing up text messages using Save/Restore app in preware.
    Technically correct. However, you can't *restore* what you've backed up. (They apparently haven't figured out how to get all of the from addresses, for example - looks like there's still a lot missing there...)

So: helpful...ish. But not a backup, since its really just a string of received messages and dates with no way to put them back where they belong, or even make sense of them all.

Just saying - we're not there yet.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    Technically correct. However, you can't *restore* what you've backed up. (They apparently haven't figured out how to get all of the from addresses, for example - looks like there's still a lot missing there...)

So: helpful...ish. But not a backup, since its really just a string of received messages and dates with no way to put them back where they belong, or even make sense of them all.

Just saying - we're not there yet.
    You are correct i was meaning to write that in the post OOPS :-).

I have a better database query i created while playing around with the database file that links the text to the address book, when i get a chance ill see if i can update the save-restore app.
    09/03/2011
    Warning: this method cannot be used to transfer messages from a WebOS 1.x device to a WebOS 2.x device
    There may also be issues on using it between 2 phones on WebOS 1.x since the latest palm profile adjustment, which some people have reported causes issues within the calendar application
    I have just upgraded to a Pre+ from my Pre, and finally succeeded in transferring all my messages and call log.

Method Used is similar to some posted previously, but with the addition of some basic database editing.
    The bit that I edited is the com_palm_accountservices_data_AccountToken table found in PalmAccountDatabse.db3

The following Fields needed checking/changing to the new values:
    alias, token, state, authenticatedTime, tokenexpireTime, account expirationTime, uniqueId.

This method assumes you have Preware and Internalz installed, PreBackupUtility and Save/Restore are optional.

1. Old Phone: Use Pre's built-in backup utility
    2. Old Phone: Go into Aeroplane mode.
    3. *optional* Old phone: if you wish run Pre Backup Utility, save/Restore etc. then do it now
    4. Old phone: back up /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 and /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3 to somewhere in /media/internal using Internalz
    5. Old Phone: Copy everything off in USB mode, then do a Full Erase and power off.

--**New Phone should be same webOS version as the old one was, so safest bet is to simply Doctor it to that before you start**--

6. New Phone: Sign into Palm Profile
    7. New Phone: Wait a while for app and contacts etc. to restore
    8. New Phone: Install Preware and reinstall Internalz now. *optional* Reinstall Save/Restore and PreBackupUtility as well
    9. New Phone: go into Aeroplane mode
    10. New Phone: back up /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 and /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3 to somewhere in /media/internal using Internalz
    11: New Phone: connect in USB mode, and copy off the new saved database files
    12: Make a backup of both sets of databases just in case you have issues later.
    13: Open Both PalmAccountDatabase.db3 files, and copy the above values from the new palm file, and insert them into the old database file. (google for a free sqlite editor if you don't have one)
    14. Copy your backups/photos etc., and the Old PalmDatabase.db3 and the edited PalmAccountDatabase.db3 to the USB drive of the new phone.
    15: *optional* New Phone: If you ran PreBackupUtility then restore at this point, but don't restart yet.
    16: New Phone: Copy the new palm databases from /media/internal to /var/luna/data/dbdata/* using Internalz
    17: New Phone: Once it has said it has copied then Reboot
    18: New Phone: check if your texts/contacts etc. open ok, and you can create a new test contact to make sure it is reading/can edit the restored files ok.
    19: New Phone: Exit Aeroplane mode
    20: New Phone: Open the Palm Backup App, and tell it to backup, if it succeeds then you are sorted. If it has failed then it will tell you that you are signed out, and clear your data/restart at this point.
    21: *optional* New Phone: Open each program listed in save/restore to create their data files, then Restore your stuff with save/restore and reboot.
    22: Hope it keeps working

If you don't wish to Erase your old palm, but then power it on at any point, then it will try and login to your profile, and screw everything up. If you don't wish to erase it until your replacement palm is working then make sure you leave it in Aeroplane mode, then once your new palm is happy you can open it up and Erase everything without it connecting over wifi or 3g. (or else Doctor it, but that will no longer remove your USB partition data)

Disclaimer: This worked for me, and while I think it should work for everyone I have no way of know if it will for sure. I take no responsibility for the time and stress that may be taken doing this procedure, or attempting to repeat this after a failed attempt. This took me 2 days of failed attempts and playing to perfect to a working system for my Pre.

If anyone has Questions, then please ask.
    Last edited by JSladen; 03/09/2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: corrections, webOS 2 warnings