webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > My Cracked Screen
My Cracked Screen
View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.
No - still in good condition 645 56.93%
Yes - but I dropped or bumped it 90 7.94%
Yes - but I was careful with it 398 35.13%
Voters: 1133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06/07/2009, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Be careful, don't let this happen to your Pre.

I really have no idea how it happened, possibly while I was sitting in a chair that had metal arms - and my leg pressed against it.

Looks like a hard case is needed - or maybe make certain the screen side is against your leg and not facing out.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow if TEP was worth my investment or not....

The cracks start at the button and go all the way up the screen. There are twice as many cracks as you can see in the pictures.

Display still works fine, however touch is all messed up. Bottom third of the screen doesn't touch, and a spot on the middle of the screen keeps "touching" automatically every couple of seconds. Can't even answer the phone because I can't slide the green dot up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_060709_001.jpg (240.8 KB, 3094 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg Photo_060709_002.jpg (267.3 KB, 2446 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by palandri; 06/07/2009 at 11:43 PM.
quahtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by mmorr, polecat99, Santowl
Old 06/07/2009, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wow, that's pretty brutal.
Big Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
DDD

Sorry. Bummer
Old 06/07/2009, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Damn, that sucks. Is the Pre really that fragile? Someone in another thread mention that his wife cracked her screen already.
turb0rexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

That does suck! Seems the Pre screen is somewhat fragile, eh?
Old 06/07/2009, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0rexx View Post
Damn, that sucks. Is the Pre really that fragile? Someone in another thread mention that his wife cracked her screen already.
You know, I've been extremely careful with this phone. I honestly don't understand how is cracked, as I've treated it like my newborn baby. I've never broken a phone - ever - and I've had one for at least 15 years.

It is obviously my fault, I have no doubt. Like I said above, when I took it out of my pocket and the supplied case, and noticed the cracks, I was sitting in a chair that had wrought iron arms - and my leg was probably pressing against it on the side. I'm pretty sure I wasn't "sitting" on the phone. That is the only thing I can think of.

So, is it fragile? I don't know. But again, I can think of nothing "severe" that I did to cause the damage.
Old 06/07/2009, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

dang! sorry to hear man. the worst part about carrying around a high tech expensive toy in the pocket.

does anyone think it would the plastic would be more fragile than glass? i personally think they should've went with glass instead. i would think the glass would hold up better depending on thickness/type used.

advantages/disadvantages to both i guess.
kevhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Whoa i still got my plastic cover on and when I put the phone in my pocket i use the pouch
One_Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 07:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
Whoa i still got my plastic cover on and when I put the phone in my pocket i use the pouch
Phone was in the pouch when this happened.
Old 06/07/2009, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...
poopsie#IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: justleft
Old 06/07/2009, 07:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

I spent the $40 for the case, as I wanted to keep it on my hip and now I'm doubly glad that I did.
Colonel Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 07:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

This happens. I broke the glass of three iphone's. In the pocket they are vulnerable. I use invisi le shield and when in my pocket the screen always goes towards my body never out, I figure if it gets hit at least it won't be on the screen.
hchavarria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 07:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
I spent the $40 for the case, as I wanted to keep it on my hip and now I'm doubly glad that I did.
I carried my Centro around unprotected in the same front pocket for 2 years without incident. I was planning on getting that plastic "clamshell" belt case I saw on this board - but, obviously, not soon enough.

Also, if you can't tell from the pictures, the cracks all look like they start right at the top of the button - from the edge that meet the top of the button. Seems to me that something would have had to have been pressing directly on that spot.
Old 06/07/2009, 07:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhead View Post
dang! sorry to hear man. the worst part about carrying around a high tech expensive toy in the pocket.

does anyone think it would the plastic would be more fragile than glass? i personally think they should've went with glass instead. i would think the glass would hold up better depending on thickness/type used.

advantages/disadvantages to both i guess.
Glass is no better, my son cracked his ipod touch the first day he got it. Unfortunately no insurance, so he is living with a crack across the top of his screen
Technologic#IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 07:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
cme

wow same thing happen to my wife!!

Her pre work for couple hours until the cracks got longer then she starting crying lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0003.jpg (323.0 KB, 2123 views) Email Attachment
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 07:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

TEP will cover this, but you'll have to pay a deductible. Shoulda got ESRP. . .
prochobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 07:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme View Post

Her pre work for couple hours until the cracks got longer then she starting crying lol
Oh oh, when the tears start it usually means my check book is coming out-
poopsie#IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 07:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
Glass is no better, my son cracked his ipod touch the first day he got it. Unfortunately no insurance, so he is living with a crack across the top of his screen
Well, I'd live with it probably, as you can only see the cracks if you look from the side. The problem is the touch is messed up, I assume as a result of the cracks - so the device is impossible to operate properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme View Post

Did your wife know what caused the damage? Or was she suprised (like I was) that anything had even happened?
Old 06/07/2009, 07:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yeah i've heard the similar iphone stories.

Front pocket tighness cracked screens.
DougB541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 07:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
TEP will cover this, but you'll have to pay a deductible. Shoulda got ESRP. . .
I thought TEP was a combination of ESRP AND the Assurion insurance - and that ESRP didn't cover crack screens.

Am I incorrect?

Tags
broken, crack, lcd, screen, touch

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0