View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekknology View Post
    Why put such a fragile and expensive piece of equipment in your pocket? Thats like asking for something to happen...
    Srsly.
    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayhome View Post
    Srsly.
    seriously?! its a phone...why get a phone at all if you have to be conscious about putting it in your own pocket doing normal tasks??
  3. cme
    I tried to take my wife's Pre back to the sprint store today they told me a couple people came back with the same problem! They told me it was nothing they could do because they dont have any Pre or know when some should be coming in. So i had to asurion, and they made me fill out answorn affidavit and fax it in. hopefully it will come soon.
  4.    #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin1497 View Post
    I don't have a Pre yet and am just following the posts to decide when to get one. One question for those that have experienced the cracks. Have you ever removed the battery or have you tried to fix the slider close locking up problem by using the paper/electrical tape fixes? One post states that they removed the battery and now see a crack? Also...if the fix for the slider closing problem was implemented, maybe it switch geometry of the phone causing a stress point.

Just a couple of ideas.
    I did nothing to the phone - had not taken the back cover off, changed battery or anything other than open the micro-usb port cover. I did not have any problems (like the slider close, etc) - so I did nothing to the phone at all. It was just like it came out of the box except without the plastic screen protection.
  5.    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by cme View Post
    I tried to take my wife's Pre back to the sprint store today they told me a couple people came back with the same problem!
    This is interesting. Did they elaborate? Had they just seen broken screens, or had those people said they had no idea how it happened and that they didn't do anything to the phone to cause the problem?
  6.    #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    Yep, as a manager of a service center myself i can confirm this
    however we do take care of physical damage phones instore with deductable
    I'm trying to get past the point of the phrase "physical damage". For purposes of insurance claim, I would think that damage would mean something that was done to the phone - either intentionally or accidently.

If there is a defect, then I would hope that isn't going to be termed "damage" - because that should certainly be covered under the warranty of the phone. Does anyone know what the specific warranty is with regard to the physical part of the phone?
  7. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    I'm trying to get past the point of the phrase "physical damage". For purposes of insurance claim, I would think that damage would mean something that was done to the phone - either intentionally or accidently.

If there is a defect, then I would hope that isn't going to be termed "damage" - because that should certainly be covered under the warranty of the phone. Does anyone know what the specific warranty is with regard to the physical part of the phone?
    Well in general anytime a screen is cracked its not covered under warranty. however if you get a nice rep or its determined that's units are defective then it'll be covered. i dont use nor do i intened to use any kind of protection for my pre besides putting it in the pouch it came in now and then. so far so good. only issue with mine is bright spots on the screen..but iv already got a new replacement on the way
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I think the front pants pocket storage is the issue. Your phone may sit loose in your front pants pocket, but if you squat or sit down, it's not going to be loose anymore and pressure will be applied. I think it's going to be especially worse on the Pre with the touch screen. I am willing to bet it gets so bad that Sprint starts telling people not to store the phone in their front pants pocket.

This exact same happened to my wife with a Kyrocera flip phone in her front pocket.
    I think it can be reasonably argued that carrying a cell phone in the pocket would be within the expected tolerances for normal usage. If this truly were to become a widespread phenomena, that would be indicative of a design flaw that would warrant a recall at most or an authorized replacement should failure occur at least.

I mean, come on, it's just not realistic for ANYONE to say "You can't put the phone in a pocket," and expect that to fly.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    I think it can be reasonably argued that carrying a cell phone in the pocket would be within the expected tolerances for normal usage. If this truly were to become a widespread phenomena, that would be indicative of a design flaw that would warrant a recall at most or an authorized replacement should failure occur at least.

I mean, come on, it's just not realistic for ANYONE to say "You can't put the phone in a pocket," and expect that to fly.
    I've had three phones in my life, and two of them got cracked screens while in my pocket. So yeah, I consider it totally normal to be careful with you phone.
    What is interesting that most people are reporting cracks that originate from the button area. It seems to have a design/manufacturing issue around there. Some have even reported that the cracks spread out like a palm leaf (no pun intended). It would be nice to see photos of these phones.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    ok my wife surprised me sat. with a new pre by the end of the day the the volume button took a crap, had to wait till monday no big deal she drove the 20 miles to the sprint store with the phone they said they cant fix it they would have to replace it but they need the box, so 20 miles back home 20 miles back to store, get the new phone about 2pm this morning at 4am i got up to use the phone and the touch screen didnt respond, drove back to store 20 miles when they opened and they told me i cracked the screen and i would have to pay $100 deductable to cover with my insurance so now im not to cool, customer service was the worst in the store , so right in line in the store i have to call sprint (from their phone) and after i talked to 3 diff people i got sprint to credit my account for the $100 but i probably wont have a new phone till fri or mon because they have to ship it to me. The key is to not get off the phone with sprint no matter what and the first 2 people i talked to u can tell were trained to keep saying they cant do anything for me so by the time you get to the third person from sprint you seem to get help hope this helps others let me know
  12.    #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by pshah View Post
    It would be nice to see photos of these phones.
    There are pictures of my phone in the beginning of this thread. It is hard to take decent pics though because of how glossy the phone is. My cracks did "fan" out from exactly the top of the button, just as you described - but in the pics you can only see half of the cracks.

The cracks are very hard to see even if you are looking at the phone itself. You have to turn it to a certain angle and then you can only see part of them. One of the guys at the sprint store couldn't even find the cracks - even though I was pointing to them....
  13.    #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMF1500 View Post
    ...about 2pm this morning at 4am i got up to use the phone and the touch screen didnt respond, drove back to store 20 miles when they opened and they told me i cracked the screen
    Can you describe the cracks?

Hmm. Now we are up to what, 6 or 7 people with this problem in this thread - and at least 3 more over a palm.com forums.
  14. cme
    This is interesting. Did they elaborate? Had they just seen broken screens, or had those people said they had no idea how it happened and that they didn't do anything to the phone to cause the problem?
    Nope they didnt.... they just telling everyone to call asurion.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    You guys need to stop wearing girl's jeans.
  16. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Don't have a pre yet. I've dropped all my Treo's countless times; did damage one finally. BUT, this is a new screen technology, right? So probably isn't fair to compare it to the old touch screens, for those of you like me who have used pockets and not been too careful. This won't stop me from getting a Pre when a GSM unit comes out, but clearly I'll have to change my carrying behavior.
    ADS
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    I've had three phones in my life, and two of them got cracked screens while in my pocket. So yeah, I consider it totally normal to be careful with you phone.
    But I've had four Treos, carried them all in my pocket, and never had an issue, so I consider carrying a phone in your pocket completely normal. Both of my sons carry their phones in their pocket, and have never cracked a screen that way, either. But way worse than that, when I had a motorcycle accident my 700p bounced down the road. I found the phone and back cover about 15 feet apart. Never found the battery. The top of the antenna was ground through. The phone still worked, and the screen didn't crack.

The idea that having the screen crack simply while walking around with it in your pants is even remotely acceptable is ludicrous.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    My screen cracked and the phone was in the leather pouch attached to the belt. The main question is why do these screens crack in the same manner, i.e, from the button radiating outwards.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Can you describe the cracks?

Hmm. Now we are up to what, 6 or 7 people with this problem in this thread - and at least 3 more over a palm.com forums.
    same as everyone else from the button up the screen in a multiple crack fasion
  20. Duo
    It looks like there are others with this problem.

Thanks
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast