View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    As a manager of a Authorized Sprint Repair Center I can tell you that the customer service rep who told Pangya that even a cracked screen was covered under the 30 day warranty was WRONG. Physical damage is still physical damage and physical damage is not a warranty issue.

Chances are good the OP took his phone to a very understanding rep who filed the 30 day replacement as a "defective" unit instead of fiddling with the ESRP or Assurion replacement option.

It's possible the plastic face on the Pre is prone to cracking in this early batch of phones, in which case your service centers will be notified and they will offer free replacements. If that happens, most folks who have this issue will end up needing to contact assurion for replacements. Sprint stores (even service centers) do not replace physical damage phones in-store, they always come from assurion. There used to be some flexibility in our guidelines concerning "well list" replacements which were a in-store replacement for customer satisfaction, but these are very few and far between these days.

If you brought your lovely new Pre to my service center you would have my sympathy, but all I would give you is the Assurion contact information.
    I am so relieved to have found this thread. I have loved my phone and been using it without incident. I had no problems this morning and then I put it in the front pocket of my scrubs. I took it out about 15 min later to answer a text. I noticed that the yellow lock circle wasn't responding right to my touch. I looked closer and thought I saw a couple of scratches. Looking closer they looked like tiny cracks--not on the top of the phone but like in a "middle" layer. Just as was noted above, the cracks seem to come from under that top black layer, stemming out from under the gesture button. I immediatley started panicing, the sprint store didn't open until 10 and this was around 9 or so. The screen was partialyl useable at that time. They quickly spread up the phone and it was quickly inoperable. I went to the store and they said it was obviously a spider crack due to damage on my part, I would have to file an insurance claim. I DID NOTHING TO THE PHONE!!! I am so frustrated.....
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayandlo1999 View Post
    I am so relieved to have found this thread. I have loved my phone and been using it without incident. I had no problems this morning and then I put it in the front pocket of my scrubs. I took it out about 15 min later to answer a text. I noticed that the yellow lock circle wasn't responding right to my touch. I looked closer and thought I saw a couple of scratches. Looking closer they looked like tiny cracks--not on the top of the phone but like in a "middle" layer. Just as was noted above, the cracks seem to come from under that top black layer, stemming out from under the gesture button. I immediatley started panicing, the sprint store didn't open until 10 and this was around 9 or so. The screen was partialyl useable at that time. They quickly spread up the phone and it was quickly inoperable. I went to the store and they said it was obviously a spider crack due to damage on my part, I would have to file an insurance claim. I DID NOTHING TO THE PHONE!!! I am so frustrated.....
    Sounds exactly like mine - from the button up, touchscreen mostly inoperable.

Did you ask them exactly how you could have damaged the screen UNDERNEATH without putting a single mark on the outside of the case?

In my case, the person I talked with at the Sprint store realized that it would be improbable that I did something to it since the outside was absolutely perfect, yet underneath it was cracked.

There is yet anther post over on palm.com forums that describe this exact same problem. Screen cracked from center button upwards for absolutely no reason. No I'm starting the get concerned. Is there a bad batch of screens? Manufacturing problems where the "button hole" was put into the screen?

I know we are talking only 5 or 6 complaints we've seen so far around here, but it's a bit coincidental that we are seeing the exact same problem.
    Last edited by quahtrader; 06/09/2009 at 05:34 PM.
    I have been a huge advocate for this product since I first discovered it in the blogs and online very early this year. People around me knew I was in a countdown to purchasing it on saturday. I was first in line at my store. I arrived at 4AM. Having this happen and then being treated so poorly at the store as if I damaged the phone is like a slap in the face. I am still just so stunned! I will NOT pay a $100 deductible. I just paid enough money and have been a loyal sprint customer for too long....

I am so frustrated over this. If nothing else other than the principle of the issue. I had the phone for less than 72 hours and now this. I understand its a sophisticate piece of equipment that I should be careful with and I was. Who would of thought that carrying it in a loose pocket is enough to cause something like that, if that is infact what happened? I will make this a personal mission to get this resolved without paying a deductible!!!!!
    I have been a huge advocate for this product since I first discovered it in the blogs and online very early this year. People around me knew I was in a countdown to purchasing it on saturday. I was first in line at my store. I arrived at 4AM. Having this happen and then being treated so poorly at the store as if I damaged the phone is like a slap in the face. I am still just so stunned! I will NOT pay a $100 deductible. I just paid enough money and have been a loyal sprint customer for too long....

I am so frustrated over this. If nothing else other than the principle of the issue. I had the phone for less than 72 hours and now this. I understand its a sophisticate piece of equipment that I should be careful with and I was. Who would of thought that carrying it in a loose pocket is enough to cause something like that, if that is infact what happened? I will make this a personal mission to get this resolved without paying a deductible!!!!!
    sorry to hear jay...but like quahtrader, same thing happened to mine. He however got his exchanged out thru a sprint store without using his insurance while i had to go through asurion ( i actually just got mine today, pretty quick considering there's a shortage) and pay the 100, if i start seeing more of this i'm gunna start complaining to sprint CS and see if i could get that 100 refunded. Let us know what your outcome is.
    Quote Originally Posted by bballintom22 View Post
    sorry to hear jay...but like quahtrader, same thing happened to mine. He however got his exchanged out thru a sprint store without using his insurance while i had to go through asurion ( i actually just got mine today, pretty quick considering there's a shortage) and pay the 100, if i start seeing more of this i'm gunna start complaining to sprint CS and see if i could get that 100 refunded. Let us know what your outcome is.

I think people that have had this issue should definitely keep in touch via this forum. I've looked at some other sites and not finding this issue. I read earlier that it has been mentioned on some of the palm forums, going there now to check it out....

I just got off the phone with CS because I was having trouble activating an old phone to my number so I could have something to use in the meanwhile. The guy said he hadn't heard of the issue yet but you know what that might mean...

tom22- how long did you have the phone before it happened? had you carried it in a pocket? any other possible damage?
    So far every crack screen problem in this forum is reporting fan like crackings radiating from the button. It sure looks like a design flaw. My phone had similar cracks to the original poster's picture. We need to start a roll call of all folks whose screens have cracked with photographs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    iphone screen cracked mac rumors - Google Search

The iPhone cracks just as much.
    those are generally from people dropping their iphone, not carrying it in their front pocket like the pre
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by TVMA View Post
    those are generally from people dropping their iphone, not carrying it in their front pocket like the pre
    At this point I'm not even sure that front pocket carry has anything to do with the problem - it's possible that I would have seen these cracks after picking up the phone off my desk - who knows.

And that is what scares me about putting my new phone in my pocket - maybe it did cause the problem.
    I don't even know why they put that button on the Pre, it's totally unnecessary. I think I've only used it twice.
    I think people that have had this issue should definitely keep in touch via this forum. I've looked at some other sites and not finding this issue. I read earlier that it has been mentioned on some of the palm forums, going there now to check it out....

I just got off the phone with CS because I was having trouble activating an old phone to my number so I could have something to use in the meanwhile. The guy said he hadn't heard of the issue yet but you know what that might mean...

tom22- how long did you have the phone before it happened? had you carried it in a pocket? any other possible damage?
    ummm about 14 hours lol, and it was just in my pocket..no other damage!
    I think the front pants pocket storage is the issue. Your phone may sit loose in your front pants pocket, but if you squat or sit down, it's not going to be loose anymore and pressure will be applied. I think it's going to be especially worse on the Pre with the touch screen. I am willing to bet it gets so bad that Sprint starts telling people not to store the phone in their front pants pocket.

This exact same happened to my wife with a Kyrocera flip phone in her front pocket.
    Last edited by palandri; 06/10/2009 at 11:50 AM.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

13.    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I think the front pants pocket storage is the issue. Your phone may sit loose in your front pants pocket, but if you squat of sit down, it's not going to be loose anymore and pressure will be applied. I think it's going to be especially worse on the Pre with the touch screen. I am willing to bet it gets so bad that Sprint starts telling people not to store the phone in their front pants pocket.

This exact same happened to my wife with a Kyrocera flip phone in her front pocket.
    If you are right, it might make sense in my case. Sitting will pull the pants tighter and put some pressure on the phone. If it is angled acess your thigh, the pressure might even "try" to "bend" the case. It makes some sense that at that point a weak spot would be that hole where the button it - and any twisting torque might be relieved by cracking at the edge of that hole.

If that is really the problem, it's too bad that it is that fragile. I can only imagine that 100's of physical tests were done to the phone, and that it would have been built to withstand "normal" handling.
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    ...If that is really the problem, it's too bad that it is that fragile. I can only imagine that 100's of physical tests were done to the phone, and that it would have been built to withstand "normal" handling.
    I agree!

15.    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    As a manager of a Authorized Sprint Repair Center ....
    It's possible the plastic face on the Pre is prone to cracking in this early batch of phones, in which case your service centers will be notified and they will offer free replacements.
    I missed this post earlier.

I want to make it clear that it is not the plastic face that is cracking - it is what ever is underneath that cracked. That is why it was hard to get a picture of it.

The exterior of the phone was in perfect, unmolested physical condition. There was not even a scratch or mark of any kind at the point where the cracks appeared to have started. To me (and apparently to the Sprint rep), the fact that there was internal damage without any external damage says something... no?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    As a manager of a Authorized Sprint Repair Center I can tell you that the customer service rep who told Pangya that even a cracked screen was covered under the 30 day warranty was WRONG. Physical damage is still physical damage and physical damage is not a warranty issue.

Chances are good the OP took his phone to a very understanding rep who filed the 30 day replacement as a "defective" unit instead of fiddling with the ESRP or Assurion replacement option.

It's possible the plastic face on the Pre is prone to cracking in this early batch of phones, in which case your service centers will be notified and they will offer free replacements. If that happens, most folks who have this issue will end up needing to contact assurion for replacements. Sprint stores (even service centers) do not replace physical damage phones in-store, they always come from assurion. There used to be some flexibility in our guidelines concerning "well list" replacements which were a in-store replacement for customer satisfaction, but these are very few and far between these days.

If you brought your lovely new Pre to my service center you would have my sympathy, but all I would give you is the Assurion contact information.
    my pre did the same thing, but im on my second one the first one the volume button took a crap so they did an in store exchange the second one less than 24 hours screen cracked (dont know how) the sprint store said there was a $100 deductable so i sat in the sprint store on the phone for like an hour and a half with sprint on the phone till they credited my account the $100 dollars if palm is aware of this problem the phone should come with a holster or a better case
    I don't have a Pre yet and am just following the posts to decide when to get one. One question for those that have experienced the cracks. Have you ever removed the battery or have you tried to fix the slider close locking up problem by using the paper/electrical tape fixes? One post states that they removed the battery and now see a crack? Also...if the fix for the slider closing problem was implemented, maybe it switch geometry of the phone causing a stress point.

Just a couple of ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    If you are right, it might make sense in my case. Sitting will pull the pants tighter and put some pressure on the phone. If it is angled acess your thigh, the pressure might even "try" to "bend" the case. It makes some sense that at that point a weak spot would be that hole where the button it - and any twisting torque might be relieved by cracking at the edge of that hole.

If that is really the problem, it's too bad that it is that fragile. I can only imagine that 100's of physical tests were done to the phone, and that it would have been built to withstand "normal" handling.
    But when you kneel down, or even sit sometimes for that matter, don't you pull your pants up a little from below the waist and thigh? You know, "old people style"? I do and I never have that happen. But then again, I'm used to it because of the Suits..
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I think the front pants pocket storage is the issue. Your phone may sit loose in your front pants pocket, but if you squat of sit down, it's not going to be loose anymore and pressure will be applied. I think it's going to be especially worse on the Pre with the touch screen. I am willing to bet it gets so bad that Sprint starts telling people not to store the phone in their front pants pocket.

I've carried Treos (and Palm Pilots and Sony Clies before that) in my front pocket since at least 1997. Never broke a single one. I've done it with loose fit Dockers and snug fitting jeans, without incident. If the Pre is really this fragile, it's doomed.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    ....If the Pre is really this fragile, it's doomed.
    You are probably right!

It will be interesting to see if this thread continues to grow.

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast