View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mcaugust View Post
    Returned my phone with cracked screen and Sprint replaced it with an almost new Pre. They ran out of new Pre phones so they asked me if I would take one that was returned within hours of purchase. The previous owner found a better deal. Hmmm... Who cares JUST GIVE IT TO ME! Ahhhhhh.

Repairs department said it was the first cracked screen Pre they've seen.
    whaaat?!? they just replaced it...did they not say anything about it being physical damage? did u have TEP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceyted View Post
    Did you have the sprint insurance or did you simply return it under the return policy? Glad to hear they took care of you regardless. Did you have to pay the deductible if you did, in fact, use insurance?
    Sprint replaced it without using my insurance. No extra charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcaugust View Post
    Sprint replaced it without using my insurance. No extra charge.
    you must have gotten real lucky unless the other two users on here who are in the same predicament get theirs traded out too in store. They wouldn't even budge on mine.
    Sounds like you may have lucked out! Grats man!
    I told them the crack in my screen seems pretty consistant with users in this forum. They went to research this in their blogs and 15 minutes later told me they found nothing. I was expecting it was claim time but much to my suprise he offered me a replacement. I don't think the asked my how it happened.
  6.    #106  
    Wow. Wow.

Went to a local Sprint store and talked with the guy about my problem. Told him I had TEP, but I wanted him to take a look at it anyway, before I had to deal with the insurance.

It was the first cracked screen Pre he had seen and was really interested in the problem and what I had to say about it. I was totally honest - that I truly had no idea how it happened. I noted that the crack seemed to have started at the button, and that there was no other damage to the phone - not even a scratch at what would have had to been any impact or pressure.

He picked up the phone and called a tech at another store that has a repair center. 5 minutes later he came back and asked me for my phone number, typed a few things into the computer - and through the "magic window" in the back of the store appeared a new Pre box - he walked over there and picked it up and brought it to me.

Ran the Palm profile restore - took a few minutes and my new phone was exactly like the old.

Yes, they gave me a new phone. Exchanged under warranty (I assume) - and I did not have to use my TEP or pay any deductible.

Customer service at it's finest. It was obvious that I had done nothing to cause the problem. I asked him if the tech said anything about the problem - he really didn't say anything other than that since they are so new they haven't seen many issues. So I have no idea if this problem is "known" or anything else.

Mega kudos to Sprint for handling this perfectly!
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    Wow. Wow.

Went to a local Sprint store and talked with the guy about my problem. Told him I had TEP, but I wanted him to take a look at it anyway, before I had to deal with the insurance.

It was the first cracked screen Pre he had seen and was really interested in the problem and what I had to say about it. I was totally honest - that I truly had no idea how it happened. I noted that the crack seemed to have started at the button, and that there was no other damage to the phone - not even a scratch at what would have had to been any impact or pressure.

He picked up the phone and called a tech at another store that has a repair center. 5 minutes later he came back and asked me for my phone number, typed a few things into the computer - and through the "magic window" in the back of the store appeared a new Pre box - he walked over there and picked it up and brought it to me.

Ran the Palm profile restore - took a few minutes and my new phone was exactly like the old.

Yes, they gave me a new phone. Exchanged under warranty (I assume) - and I did not have to use my TEP or pay any deductible.

Customer service at it's finest. It was obvious that I had done nothing to cause the problem. I asked him if the tech said anything about the problem - he really didn't say anything other than that since they are so new they haven't seen many issues. So I have no idea if this problem is "known" or anything else.

Mega kudos to Sprint for handling this perfectly!
    Ok now this is just gettin ridiculous...i'm going back to my sprint store now lol
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by bballintom22 View Post
    Ok now this is just gettin ridiculous...i'm going back to my sprint store now lol
    Good luck! I'm sure it's a judgement call on the store employees part. Like someone posted above, results for this type of stuff will probably be mixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    Good luck! I'm sure it's a judgement call on the store employees part. Like someone posted above, results for this type of stuff will probably be mixed.
    Nope..still a no-go...ahhh welll hopefully asurion will come thru, they say im gettin it wednesday its just two more days riiiight??? hopefully they come thru
    Congrats quahtrader! It will be interesting to follow others experiences with trouble like this.

Someone should setup a poll for those that have experienced physical hardware issues including how/what type, time/occurrence of damage after purchase date, and how sprint/palm resolved the issue. Would be interesting to watch and may help others...

Kudos to Sprint for doing the right thing! (at least in your case)
  11.    #111  
    Thanks!

Now to decide how I'm going to carry the new one. I'm scared to put it in my pocket again - even though I'm not sure that had anything to do with it. I wish I knew for sure...
    I'm waiting for stock to be replenished so I can buy mine. When I do, it goes in the front pocket. I'll be careful, but if it breaks for no apparent reason, I'll be doing exactly what you did. There is really no excuse for a phone to incur damage from carrying it in your pocket. It's ridiculous when you think about it. In fact that's probably what Sprint thinks too, otherwise you would have met some opposition.
    I chatted with an online Sprint representative about the problem and was told that all new devices (even cracked screen problems) are covered under warranty for the first 30 days... so anyone that does have cracked screens be sure to exchange it without having to pay the deductible!!!
    wowwww this is ridiculous b/c the exact same thing happened to me. I thought i was the only clumsy person that would brick their pre less than 24 hrs of having it. Did yours respond to touches after it was cracked? mine didn't.
    Wow -

My screen cracked on 6/6/9. I have never cracked any screen. Getting my replacement on Wed through insurance, but it cost another 100/-. Will need to buy a protector or might just return the phone within 30 days. all in all the phone lasted less than 8 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by pangya View Post
    I chatted with an online Sprint representative about the problem and was told that all new devices (even cracked screen problems) are covered under warranty for the first 30 days... so anyone that does have cracked screens be sure to exchange it without having to pay the deductible!!!
    I second this. I wouldn't pay a dime for a deductible if what you all claim happened actually did happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceyted View Post
    I second this. I wouldn't pay a dime for a deductible if what you all claim happened actually did happen.
    That's the thing i kept telling the store rep that i'm reading about the same incident on message boards and people are having this problem and they won't budge. Not that they have any in stock anyways, but they kept saying crack screen is physical damage and will not be handled in store. I even called my other corp store same story. Anyways assurion is sending me another one and should be here wed already got the tracking number and a confirmation email saying i'm gettin a pre
    I wonder if i chat with them now they'd credit back my 100 deductible for going thru assurion. Anyway you can maybe post that chat log?
    I wonder if i chat with them now they'd credit back my 100 deductible for going thru assurion. Anyway you can maybe post that chat log?
    06/08/2009 07:53:11PM Toledo: "There have been people posting on forums about the Palm Pre having the screen crack by just having the phone in their pocket..."
    06/08/2009 07:53:22PM Toledo: "even as early as 24 hours after buying it"
    06/08/2009 07:53:33PM Toledo: "Is this considered to be a manufacturer problem?"
    06/08/2009 07:53:42PM Agent (Samantha M): "WOW - I haven't heard anything about that."
    06/08/2009 07:53:55PM Toledo: "There are quite a few people with the problem already"
    06/08/2009 07:54:12PM Toledo: "Some have said they have successfully returned the phone to a Sprint store with no charge or insurance verification"
    06/08/2009 07:54:25PM Toledo: "But I am seriously worried about this... if I would have to pay the full price for a new Pre"
    06/08/2009 07:54:39PM Toledo: "Or even $100 for the deductible if it wasn't my fault at all"
    06/08/2009 07:55:01PM Agent (Samantha M): "There is a 30 day warranty on new devices - however I haven't heard anything about the issue you speak of so I don't want to assume anything at this time."

Note that anything with numbers (24, 100 and 30) was censored in the transcript, but this is what I asked.
    wowwww this is ridiculous b/c the exact same thing happened to me. I thought i was the only clumsy person that would brick their pre less than 24 hrs of having it. Did yours respond to touches after it was cracked? mine didn't.
    06/08/2009 07:53:11PM Toledo: "There have been people posting on forums about the Palm Pre having the screen crack by just having the phone in their pocket..."
    06/08/2009 07:53:22PM Toledo: "even as early as 24 hours after buying it"
    06/08/2009 07:53:33PM Toledo: "Is this considered to be a manufacturer problem?"
    06/08/2009 07:53:42PM Agent (Samantha M): "WOW - I haven't heard anything about that."
    06/08/2009 07:53:55PM Toledo: "There are quite a few people with the problem already"
    06/08/2009 07:54:12PM Toledo: "Some have said they have successfully returned the phone to a Sprint store with no charge or insurance verification"
    06/08/2009 07:54:25PM Toledo: "But I am seriously worried about this... if I would have to pay the full price for a new Pre"
    06/08/2009 07:54:39PM Toledo: "Or even $100 for the deductible if it wasn't my fault at all"
    06/08/2009 07:55:01PM Agent (Samantha M): "There is a 30 day warranty on new devices - however I haven't heard anything about the issue you speak of so I don't want to assume anything at this time."

Note that anything with numbers (24, 100 and 30) was censored in the transcript, but this is what I asked.
    Just talked with a Sprint representative using *2. The agent said he is going to check and let me know by tomorrow. Everybody, please start calling Sprint about this issue.

Incidently, the Pre does not respond to anything. I can make a call by using the keyboard and receive a call when I slide the key pad. If I call, sometimes I cannot hang up as the "End" icon does not respond to the touch. It no longer is a smart phone. :-(

Thanks
    Nope..still a no-go...ahhh welll hopefully asurion will come thru, they say im gettin it wednesday its just two more days riiiight??? hopefully they come thru
    Is it possible to find out from Asurion how many replacements they have given out on Pre for cracked screens. Asurion is going to lose a lot of money on the deal if Pre keeps crackkkkinggg