View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

    645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

    90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

    398 35.13%
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 757
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    They *had* to of known about any weak points in the screen or around the button.....

    And by the way there is no reason this phone shouldn't (couldn't) be pocketable. It should not be necessary to put casing and layers of protection on what's supposed to be a good solid ergonimic and ground-breaking design.
    I want to make it clear that I don't really know exactly how the damage happened. The cracks DO appear to begin at the button. That's really all I can say for sure, other than I'm certain that there was no "abnormal" physical impact to the phone.

    I agree with the end of your comment that it seems the phone should not be as "delicate" as it seems.
  2. #82  
    If you got the Sprint coverage plan they will just replace it with a new Pre. (Though I think it cost like $100) and thats a one time a year use. Be careful until the new and better cases come out. I remember people saying things like this about the Iphone when it first came out.
  3. #83  
    you put your newborn baby in your pocket? just kidding.

    was wondering since your screen is cracked anyways... can you do a scratch test on it and see how resistant it is to scratches? I saw a BB Storm vid where a guy took a knife to it and it resisted scratches. Can you do that with at least keys to test. Would be good to know anyways before you get your replacement.

    thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    You know, I've been extremely careful with this phone. I honestly don't understand how is cracked, as I've treated it like my newborn baby. I've never broken a phone - ever - and I've had one for at least 15 years.
  4. erod550's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #84  
    I would never put my phone in the same pocket as my keys. That's just asking for unnecessary scratches.

    I have gotten in the habit of carrying my phone screen-in since I broke my first Mogul's screen while playing pool. Walked around the corner of the pool table a little too close and whoops, there it went. So for the past 8 months or so I've carried my (full-price because I didn't have insurance) replacement Mogul with the screen facing in and it's just habit now. I have purchased the TEP on the Pre though just in case.

    Sorry to hear about the OP's screen. Even if they do replace it, it's still a very disheartening feeling when you break an expensive toy that you just got.
  5. #85  
    I think these new touch screens are real sensitive. If you google "cracked screen iphone", "pocket cracked screen iphone" You'll see the problems IPhone has had. People have even setup cracked screen IPhone repair services. I think carrying these phones in your pocket is a mistake.

    How many time can you use the Sprint insurance per year? before they cut you off? 1 time? 2 times?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  6. Duo
    Duo is offline
    Duo's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    #86  
    Iíve been carrying phones in my front trouser pockets for over 10 years and Iíve never had one damaged because of that.

    I did manage to crack the screen on a phone 9 years ago on a day when I decided to use the supplied case with the belt clip. I hit it on the edge of an iron stair banister and it cracked. After that I never put a phone on my belt again.

    The thing is that it took quite a serious blow from a ďsharpĒ edge to crack the screen of the phone. It had taken quite a few hits to the screen before that (one of the reasons I didnít use the belt clip often) but on the day it cracked I hit it really hard and I certainly felt it. In fact I still felt it some time later.

    As I said above Iíve never managed to crack a screen buy putting it in my front pocket (normally facing inwards but on occasion outwards). I donít see how you can crack a screen and not feel the impact unless there is a defect with the phone and some slight stress is enough.

    BTW I had the use of an iPhone 1.0 for eight weeks and it lived in my front pocket and never cracked.
  7. #87  
    Carrying the phone in your pocket, (facing in and without keys, etc.), shouldn't be a problem. Don't tell me that we have to wear a cup now...
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by megamitch View Post
    I wouldn't assume this is a manufacturer's defect. These screens are fragile. If you put even a (relatively) small amount of force on a small area...That's generally going to be enough pressure to pop the screen leading to the cracks. Its like that with any display.
    If the screen is that fragile, it's a piece of cra*. If this phone is so fragile you have to baby it, instead of treat it like you can almost any other phone, Palm's got a big problem. I've carried Palm PDAs and Treos in my pocket for the last 10 or 15 years, with no case, and the only time I cracked a screen was when I inadvertantly slammed a car door into my leg, with the screen facing out. And I've seen people put phones in their back pockets and sit on them without any damage (although not with a screen as large as the Treo or Pre).

    So no, it's not "like that with any display."
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  9. santos's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    Is the leather one "hard" enough to prevent any pressure being put on the phone surface? Or does it just protect from "scratching" type issue?
    I feel it would be hard enough, but I'm not about to test.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    If you got the Sprint coverage plan they will just replace it with a new Pre. (Though I think it cost like $100) and thats a one time a year use. Be careful until the new and better cases come out. I remember people saying things like this about the Iphone when it first came out.
    are you sure its only once a year? i'm SOL if this is the case cuz i just used my insurance claim for this.
  11. erod550's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I think these new touch screens are real sensitive. If you google "cracked screen iphone", "pocket cracked screen iphone" You'll see the problems IPhone has had. People have even setup cracked screen IPhone repair services. I think carrying these phones in your pocket is a mistake.

    How many time can you use the Sprint insurance per year? before they cut you off? 1 time? 2 times?
    3 times per year. From the Sprint Website:

    Fees & Coverage Details

    The fee for Total Equipment Protection is $7 per phone, PDA or mobile broadband card per month.
    You can have up to three approved claims for loss, theft, physical or liquid damage within any consecutive 12 months.
    A $50 or $100 nonrefundable deductible depending on phone model will apply for approved claims for loss, theft, physical or liquid damage claims.
    When equipment replacement claims are approved, you will receive the same or comparable equipment — of like kind and quality — with similar features as your original equipment. Replacement equipment may be refurbished, reconditioned or different from your original phone, PDA or mobile broadband card.
    You have the right to cancel your coverage at any time without penalty. If you choose to cancel, the change will be effective immediately.
    Also, where else am I supposed to carry it? It's even more exposed sitting on a belt clip. It will be fine in pockets. You just have to make sure that you don't run your leg into anything, and that your pants aren't so tight on your leg when you sit down that it squeezes the phone.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by erod550 View Post
    Also, where else am I supposed to carry it? It's even more exposed sitting on a belt clip. It will be fine in pockets. You just have to make sure that you don't run your leg into anything, and that your pants aren't so tight on your leg when you sit down that it squeezes the phone.
    Well, again I don't know if my problem is related to carrying in front pocket or not - as I don't know how it actually happened.

    The more I look at the phone, the more I'm wondering if it has something to do with the area where the button hole is. My cracks definately appear to start at the upper edge of the hole. It would be too coincidental for something to have pressed exactly in that area causing the crack.

    The only other thing I can think of is some sort of torsion being placed on the case of the phone - either twisting or bending - and that the "hole" area is a weak spot and cracking took place.

    Again, I'm just speculating because I really, really have no clue what happened. Because of that, I would not assume that pocket carry is "safe" in any way - because I was being very careful.
  13. #93  
    quahtrader let me know what you find out from your local store, like i said mine wouldn't do anything b/c it was physical damage. I just called earlier this morn to Assurion and she said that the PRE is what i'm getting.
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by bballintom22 View Post
    quahtrader let me know what you find out from your local store, like i said mine wouldn't do anything b/c it was physical damage. I just called earlier this morn to Assurion and she said that the PRE is what i'm getting.
    I'll be going there in about an hour, I'll let you know.

    It *is* physically damaged, however I'm going to talk with them about exactly what might have happened. Is it a defect or not? I'm starting to lean towards it being some sort of defect and I'm going to have a discussion with them about that.

    In the end, worst case I'm out $100. Hopefully they will be willing to at least listen to what I have to say.
  15. #95  
    I am wondering if these are pressure cracks (formed around the button hole) cause from opening the phone. For those with cracked screens, what method did/do you use for opening the slider?
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I am wondering if these are pressure cracks (formed around the button hole) cause from opening the phone. For those with cracked screens, what method did/do you use for opening the slider?
    used my thumb on the bottom of the right side and pushed up.
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I am wondering if these are pressure cracks (formed around the button hole) cause from opening the phone. For those with cracked screens, what method did/do you use for opening the slider?
    This is also something that has crossed my mind as a possibility. I definately push up around the area of the button - but I don't need to push hard at all to open, so I can't imagine that I did push that hard at any given time.
  18. #98  
    I am really sorry to hear your Pre is dead. I can only imagine how many beats your heard skipped when you saw that crack. I also appreciate you staying involved in the conversation. I still have 2 months til I am eligible for a discount and I'll be closely watching issues like this.


    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    and that the "hole" area is a weak spot and cracking took place.
    And I have the same problem of a crack in my "hole" area. (couldn't help myself)
  19. #99  
    Returned my phone with cracked screen and Sprint replaced it with an almost new Pre. They ran out of new Pre phones so they asked me if I would take one that was returned within hours of purchase. The previous owner found a better deal. Hmmm... Who cares JUST GIVE IT TO ME! Ahhhhhh.

    Repairs department said it was the first cracked screen Pre they've seen.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcaugust View Post
    Returned my phone with cracked screen and Sprint replaced it with an almost new Pre. They ran out of new Pre phones so they asked me if I would take one that was returned within hours of purchase. The previous owner found a better deal. Hmmm... Who cares JUST GIVE IT TO ME! Ahhhhhh.

    Repairs department said it was the first cracked screen Pre they've seen.
    Did you have the sprint insurance or did you simply return it under the return policy? Glad to hear they took care of you regardless. Did you have to pay the deductible if you did, in fact, use insurance?
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions