View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2732333435363738 LastLast
    Also have a crack from the usb charging site. It hasn't grown for a while, so I'm just watching it for now. If it gets any bigger, will have to take it in for replacement. I have insurance, but this should be covered without insurance, is a known issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrayling View Post
    Also have a crack from the usb charging site. It hasn't grown for a while, so I'm just watching it for now. If it gets any bigger, will have to take it in for replacement. I have insurance, but this should be covered without insurance, is a known issue.
    It sure should!
    I don't know how reliable this poll is, but how in the hell did over 30% of peoples phones screen crack, and there have not been a recall on these phones? Mine is fine, but these horror stories are not calming.
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    I don't know how reliable this poll is
    [geekmode]Not very. Polls like this are pretty much useless. First, the polulation here is not an "average Pre owner" population. We're enthusiasts...people who are really into their Pres, and therefore may use them in a different manner than average. Second, with the title My Cracked Screen, it puts a bias toward those with a cracked screen. Those without a cracked screen are fairly likely to simply ignore this thread and those wth a crack will definitely check it out.Take it all with a grain of salt. [/geekmode]

Yeah, I used to design surveys for a poll taker.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
    [geekmode]Not very. Polls like this are pretty much useless. First, the polulation here is not an "average Pre owner" population. We're enthusiasts...people who are really into their Pres, and therefore may use them in a different manner than average. Second, with the title My Cracked Screen, it puts a bias toward those with a cracked screen. Those without a cracked screen are fairly likely to simply ignore this thread and those wth a crack will definitely check it out.Take it all with a grain of salt. [/geekmode]

Yeah, I used to design surveys for a poll taker.
    lol thanks and I agree.
    the poll is not very useful but the discussion is.

as I just posted elsewhere. A sprint store repair guy told me on saturday that sprint is telling them to "discourage" people form replacing phone due to usb crack since it does not impair the phones function. They are, however, replacing them (at least at my store) when that is what the customer wants.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    OK, throwing my Pre into the list too, of cracked screens today! I've had mine since the end of June '09 and am really careful with it in my side case. But today I notice a tiny crack starting to grow from the corner of USB port. I would imagine that this would be a weak point. I think I read somewhere that it's a known problem. Will keep an eye on it and hope that I don't have to take it in for a replacement and take advantage of my insurance.
    cracked my pre twice within 2 weeks. Both got the crack while inside the holster that came with the cell I would pull the cell out and the cracks are the same kind coming from the round button area. I have one of those shields on it and there is no impact mark on the face of the phone. It's a defect in design

suck sprint insurance is a scam charging 100$ replacement fee for something that should be on recall.
    I can't speak regarding all Sprint repair centers but here is my experience with one of them. Earlier this month I had the infamous "spider cracks" develop overnight on my pre. I visited the Sprint store where I bought it and they referred me to a store across town with a Service & Repair Center. (Apparently, at least some of the S&R Centers are third party repair shops, operating inside the Sprint store, I didn't realize this at the time.) I didn't have insurance and figured I was going to pay through the nose (didn't realize how common this problem is, just knew I depended on my phone every day).

The guy at the S&R said that they couldn't repair it and in short suggested that I reactivate my old phone, get insurance on it, wait a few weeks, add my Pre to the insurance, then file a claim. This seemed 1 fraudulent and to 2 time consuming so I asked for other options. He told my buying a new phone without a new phone plan would cost upwards of $400.00. That was out of my price range. He then offered me a refurbished phone for $250, cash only. Ok, I SHOULD have walked out right then but I would still be out a phone indefinitely. So I paid and was told they did not issue receipts... again, I felt like I was doing business out of the trunk of someone's car in a dark parking lot, but I needed the phone and was assured it would cary the standard warranty.

Feeling slightly stupid, I left with my refurb Pre which ran great for a couple weeks until it too cracked (though at the top, not the standard spider crack, but I had been charging it then went outside in -2 degree weather and had to make a call). Back to the service center where a more responsible guy was working and told me that they weren't working on Pre's and that I should take it up with Sprint Corporate and/or Palm and gave me phone numbers for both.

I went back to the store where I bought the first Pre to get a copy of my receipt (couldn't find the original after my last move) and spoke with a very helpful Sprint rep. She started to print up a copy of my receipt (as proof of purchase for servicing so I could send the Pre to Palm ) and she asked the details on my experience. After hearing the story she apologized for the inconvenience and shiftiness of my experience at the S&R Center in the other store. She then called another Sprint Store in town and ordered me a new Pre to be delivered tomorrow to my home (no extra charges). She also filed a complaint because the guy at the S&R center should have known that both Sprint and Palm are addressing this issue and I had more options beyond scamming the insureance, getting a new contract or a $250 refurb.

So, if you are having trouble with the screen crack issue, be persistent until you talk to a real Sprint employee who can/will help you. Also, be cautious of the independent Service & Repair centers operating in some Sprint stores; they might be very helpful or they might just be out to make a quick buck on the sly. I got the impression that there are actual Sprint operated repair centers, but they do not seem as common.
    I had a crack very similar to a pick listed above. It looks like a stress crack, but the phone wasn't in a position where it may have suffered a crack from stress on the screen. It's gotta be from repetetive use of the center function button...I just paid $100 to have it replaced. They blamed it on me.
    mine did not crack but I had it in my pocket for about 10 minutes, took it out and it had a bunch of scratches on it...there was nothing but lint and a Bic lighter in my pocket...
    The Palm Pre is very fragile. I have kept all of my phones for the two years plus and I had my Palm Pre for 6 weeks and the screen has cracked. I loved the phone but it is to fragile for daily use. I have the Verizon version.
    Our Palm Pres (3) are doing fine, almost a year old now and no cracks in the screen. We have not babied these phones but have not abused them either.
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    I thought TEP was a combination of ESRP AND the Assurion insurance - and that ESRP didn't cover crack screens.

Am I incorrect?
    Assurion does cover the cracked screen, and will charge the $100 deductible. However, some Sprint stores have been flexible covering this particular damage as well. It seems many of the cracked screens like this have the cracks radiating from the hole for the LED light/button. That's a weak spot. They've had so many come back like this with stories that nothing was done that should have broken the screen, that some Sprint repair centers will replace the phone with no deductible charge.

FWIW, I had two Centros that had cracked screens, and nothing I had done that would seem to cause them. In both instances the Sprint repair center store replaced them. The first time, with another Centro. Two weeks later, I brought it back with the same problem, and asked if I could get a 755P back instead. They complied.

Note Your mileage may vary, but take it back, be polite, and give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    I don't know how reliable this poll is, but how in the hell did over 30% of peoples phones screen crack, and there have not been a recall on these phones? Mine is fine, but these horror stories are not calming.
    That's not quite what the poll says. What the poll says is that over 30% of the respondents' phones cracked. How many people on here do you think saw a "cracked screen" thread, and simply ignored it (because their screen isn't cracked)? How many people do you think there are that never bothered looking for a Palm related web site, because they're not having problems with a cracked screen on a Palm device?
    Mine has just cracked without any stress being put on it., totally random. Was out in the sun and picked it up to send a text and noticed 3 cracks and now it cant be used Has anyone had any experience with getting this fixed with O2 in the uk?

I only got the damn thing back a few weeks ago from having the headphone jack replaced
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyestyle View Post
    Mine has just cracked without any stress being put on it., totally random. Was out in the sun and picked it up to send a text and noticed 3 cracks and now it cant be used Has anyone had any experience with getting this fixed with O2 in the uk?

I only got the damn thing back a few weeks ago from having the headphone jack replaced
    Put it in for repair today, told the fella at the O2 store what i had read and to send it off for a warranty replacement, he said its likely they will replace the whole phone given the headphone jack was replaced recently. Lets hope they dont ring me up and try to tell me its my fault
    EXACTLY what happened to my screen but rendered the entire thing useless as no touch worked whatsoever
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I had the USB crack start within 30 days. I let it go until 3 months later the touchscreen stopped working completely. The Sprint repair center told me that they would replace it, but they had to order it. One week later I returned to the center and the order had not come so they gave me a new one off the shelf. They said the new ones have a redesigned area around the usb port. So far, I have had the new phone for a month and so far so good. My advice is that if you get a crack, backup all of your data and then take it before you lost the touchscreen.
    Tom Scott
    San Diego, California
    Palm Pre as of 12/29/09
    Palm Owner since 1997, Pre replaced Treo 755P
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I just had my screen crack yesterday for no reason, had it over 8 months and took care of it. I have a new one coming in tomorrow and I'm not sure what to expect to get back for information from the palm sight. I read some where to hook up the usb to the computer and press option (orange button), sym and u on the key and I was able to hook up to the computer and get my pictures. I also typed in memos and was able to open the memo screen and get some of that info. Can't wait to see what I get back from the info stored at palm. I like this phone alot and wish they would fix this with some stronger material. Good Luck All