View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2429303132333435363738 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    That 25% is not accurate, we don't know how many pre owners actually voted.
    Also, I voted a while back saying that my screen was good to go...it cracked since then and I can't vote again.
    My screen cracked... sprint would not fix it so I raised hell with customer service and palm and palm finally agreed to fix it and I just got my 3rd pre today thanks to a bubble in the screen and my antenna stopped working
  3.    #663  
    Just wanted to mention, as the OP in this thread -

I've been carrying my replaced phone around in my front pocket for nearly 3 months now, treating it like I did my old Centro, and haven't had any problems at all. No protection on the phone at all.

My daughter's launch day phone has not had any issues yet.
    Update on a replacement Pre for my center button screen cracks:

After a couple of cursory calls to Sprint and not wanting to be delayed in getting a replacement, I decide to go the insurance route (which based on my prior experience years ago was a fairly painless 1 day turn around). What a f-ing nightmare.

I got the run around from Asurion for the past 5 days-- and today I'm finally told by Asurion that it will be another 5-7 business days until they can ship me a replacement phone because they don't have any Pre's in stock!! This basically means up to 2 weeks without a usable phone.

I've called Sprint Customer Service multiple times & complained vehemently. To their credit, they were very responsive in dealing with Asurion and seemed to make a genuine effort to get me a replacement from Sprint via other channels (vs Asurion). Unfortunately, even if they had any latitude to do something, the open claim with Asurion seemed to tie their hands (at least that's the impression I got). I'm not entirely convinced that Asurion wasn't dragging their feet on the whole process.

Based on my experience, I would advise anyone with screen cracks to do everything they can to avoid going the insurance route as a first avenue for replacement.

A little off topic, but in hopes that it may help someone else, this is my time line and my blow by blow extended rant :

Saturday: Called to file a Asurion Saturday AM-- was refereed by recording to file online at phoneclaim.com. Initial web screen said replacement Pre was "In Stock"-- but was then instructed "call" to Asurion for more info. Called in and was told to provide Affidavit & ID. (why didn't they just tell me that during the web claim process???). Faxed in required Docs. Got a call back from Asurion late Saturday "Fax of ID is too dark-- please re-fax ID"--- which I did. No further calls from Asurion.

Sunday- No call back from Asurion. Checked web status of claim on Asurion site: "Your Claim is currently being processed, Please check back in 24 hours."

Monday- No contact from Asurion, No replacement phone. Checked web status of claim on Asurion site: "Your Claim is currently being processed, Please check back in 24 hours."

Tuesday- No contact from Asurion, No replacement phone. Same info on web claim status: "Your Claim is currently being processed, Please check back in 24 hours."

Put a call in to Asurion. Asurion Rep: "We still are waiting for the info from your 2nd fax to be processed and posted to your claim." Me: "Should I resend it?" Asurion Rep: "No, it takes 24-48 business hours to post all the info we get over the weekend" Me: "We'll, it almost been 48 hours, I don't want to call in tomorrow to find you are still waiting on something--- I think I'll resend the info" Rep: "You don't need to do that"... I did it anyway.

Wednesday- Mid-day. No contact from Asurion, No replacement phone. Same info on web claim status: "Your Claim is currently being processed, Please check back in 24 hours." Contacted Sprint Customer Service who contacted Asurion: "Asurion says your claim is ready to go--- but you need to contact them." While I'm on the phone with Sprint mysteriously I get a call/voicemail from Asurion "We received your documentation. If you can please return our call to 1-800-584-3666 or go to phoneclaim.com" I go to web claim status thinking I'll have a confirmation: "You Claim is currently being processed, Please check back in 24 hours." WTF!!!

A call back to Sprint CS-- they call back to Asurion and are told I'll have a phone by Friday--- BUT Asurion needs to "speak to me first". OK--Sprint CSR conferences me into Asurion---Asurion: "Oh your claim was just finalized today--we don't have any Pre's in stock-- it will be 5-7 business days before we can get you a replacement" Me: "How come you told the Sprint CSR Id have a phone by Friday if you don't have any???" Asurion: "Oh, they told us your claim was put in Saturday" Me: "Its not my fault you didn't put my paperwork in your system---do you have them in stock or not??" Asurion: "We'll it first come, first serve"

WTF!?!?Asurion has the phones, Sprint has the phone--- but I gotta wait for 2 WEEKS for a replacement because Asurion didn't file my claim for 5 days.

2 more calls to Sprint and 2 more calls to Asurion Supervisors (Selley & Linda)--- I'm still screwed with the only option to activate an old phone and wait for a replacement.

Even after my claim was "approved" by Asurion, the web claim status STILL says: "Your Claim is currently being processed, Please check back in 24 hours." Another call to Asurion and I'm told: "We don't send you a confirmation until your phone is shipped". Me: "Can you just send me some type of email so I know the claim has been approved" Asurion Rep: "No we don't do that--- but take my word, you are approved" (RIGHT!!). Another call to Asurion Supervisor: Same response! WTF!!!

If I knew it was going to take this long, I would have made more of an effort to get Sprint to do something on the front end instead of jumping straight to Asurion. At best their whole web claim process is a rude joke and shouldn't be used. At worst- I'm not convinced that Asurion wasn't purposely attempting to strung out my claim because they have no replacement phones.

At this point I'm basically screwed. For all this I get the pleasure of paying Asurion $100.
    The same thing happened to my phone i was going to take it back because it felt kinda cheap and i was just gonna wait for the htc hero then i unlocked the car door for my buddy on the way to sprint to return it and i had my seat belt on the pressure from my seat belt must of cracked but it started at the bottom just like everybody elses i like the phone's OS but other than that i should have waited...
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    My screen didnt actually crack. I have a crack going from the bottom left up to the little button at the bottom of the pre. Now my pre was workin fine the way it is an it dont look like the crack can spread so i was content to say ****** it, but now it is stuck in headset mode an nothing i have done has fixed it. Sprint wont take it back under the manufacturers defect. So i had to file a claim with insurance. Hopefully i get a new phone cause i dont want to deal with a refurb.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MscSxLov View Post
    My screen didnt actually crack. I have a crack going from the bottom left up to the little button at the bottom of the pre. Now my pre was workin fine the way it is an it dont look like the crack can spread so i was content to say ****** it, but now it is stuck in headset mode an nothing i have done has fixed it. Sprint wont take it back under the manufacturers defect. So i had to file a claim with insurance. Hopefully i get a new phone cause i dont want to deal with a refurb.

Heres a break down of how it went for me.

Wensday: Went to sprint to try an get a new phone from factory defect. No go so i had to file a insurance claim at the store. Also had to fax in ID an Affidavid. Was told it would be 5-7 business days do to inventury.

Thursday Received call from Insurance they said i was approved an needed a way to pay. Had them bill my sprint acct.

Friday: (Today) Received E-Mail that phone was shipped Next day air.
    There has been many complaints about this issue on almost every forum I have gone to. It sounds like it's a defect in the screen itself. I would call Palm directly and see if they will consider it a manufacturing defect and replace the phone. It's worth a try.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...
    LMAO .. just surfing these posts and noticed yours!! Hilarious becuase it made me sick too. *No emoticon for this one*

No cracks on mine (thank goodness) .. feel bad for you though. I have tons of scratches though.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I had my treo 755p for 2 yrs & it still looks brand new, but managed to scratch the screen on my Pre on the 2nd day while trying to get the darned cable in to charge it at work (have the touchstone at home). Anyways, my hand slipped and the metal end of the charger cable went sliding across the screen. Luckily, it's not that bad and I can live with it.
    Mine cracked yesterday... about 2 weeks old. Yesterday was the first hard usage with Pandora playing and GPS running in the car, and google maps on for a while and the browser occasionally as needed. I had it plugged in... but it got so hot I couldn't let it sit on my leg, so I unplugged it. Within 2 hours it was completely dead. It turned itself off... sat overnight in the car glovebox, and this morning the screen was cracked starting at the button and fanning upwards. I believe there are some fit tolerance issues and that the heat cycle was all it needed to expose itself as a broken screen. When I took the battery off the first day I had it I was concerned with how hard it was to remove... like really really hard to remove and I was scared of breaking something while trying to remove it.

I called order support since I am in the 30 day window, told them the phone got so hot it burned my leg, that it is now non-functional (the touch screen doesn't work anymore) and they are sending a return kit. I didnt mention the screen cracks and they didn't ask. She tried to get me to exchange it for a new one, but I think i will let the QC issues go away in a few months and try again.

If you have this happen within 30 days and you see this failure mode, I recommend the same actions.
    Okay, so I got the same cracked screen issue I am seeing here. Mine came up from the gesture area immediately to the right of the button. I have attached photos. (sorry about my crappy point and shoot and inability to focus up close)

I DID NOT drop the phone. I do have a touchstone charger which gets it super hot. I went to Sprint store this morning (9/14/9), they were willing to exchange it straight across right away because I had the phone less than 30 days. BUT then another employee said "wait cracked screen". So, they called another store manager. (BTW, I do have the $7 insurance but they never asked or looked up my account).

The other manager told them to go ahead and exchange it for me but that the "new" procedure is to take it to an authorized repair store (there's a couple a bit further away from me) and that they would determine, based on the appearance of the crack, if it was physical damage or from the "known defect". So, the guy explained that there is one key on the keyboard that is causing known cracks from the bottom. (I don't really understand how this could happen). But bottom line, they admitted the known defect and replaced my phone with no charges. I was super happy to walk out of the store immediately with a brand new PRE fully functional.

Good luck to the rest of you. Hopefully, they are refunding those who have already paid for replacements.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ^LOL! l'll believe invisible Martians from outer space armed with hammers are breaking the screens before a key on the keyboard. If the heat from the touchstone is as hot as people are saying it is, then that makes more sense as the source of this very weird problem. Also that means your brand new Pre could develop cracks again.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    I had mine since launch and never had any problems until this weekend when i noticed a crack by the side of the usb from stress of pulling out the usb tab now the crack is running up the screen. I will be bringing it to the service center tom.

Fred
    ahhhhh mine has the same issue!!! i didnt do anything to it. It was charging and then just cracked!!!!!

Sprint wants me to pay $100 to replace it. The store told me it was physical damage and I had to pay.

Any suggestions???

If anyone has had this issue please PM me i might have something!!!
    Last edited by ivan1.ruiz; 09/17/2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post
    ahhhhh mine has the same issue!!! i didnt do anything to it. It was charging and then just cracked!!!!!

Sprint wants me to pay $100 to replace it. The store told me it was physical damage and I had to pay.

Any suggestions???

You can either keep going to different sprint stores until someone replaces it for you.......=(

or you can call Palm up 1-877-426-3777 and its recognized as a default and is covered by their warranty. your warranty is good for a year I think. though you have to pay for shipping it there and you'll be without your phone for 7-10 days

I have a similar horror story like everyone else, key things to remember, SPrint store tells the customer that it is physical damage and you MUST file a claim. Sprint can not help you at all, you have to file a claim. Or Call Customer service.

If you call customer Service, they tell you to CALL IN A CLAIM! and if you hassle them they will give you the number to Palm. also there is nothing they can do for you.

You call Palm they inform you that It is covered under their warranty........

Why isn't sprint simply letting you trade the phone in, and then dealing with the warranty on their end? it should be as simple as returning defective cores back to the manufacturers?

And why Am I being told to file a claim. when the logical response should be to call in my warranty. when you file a claim it cost the insurance company money? Not sprint. You pay your deductible. but that doesn't really cover the cost of the phone for the insurance company, it just off-balances it.

As far as I can tell the problem is Sprint and not Palm or Assurion.

both palm and Assurion are receiving an influx of frustrated angry people who have been getting the run around.

My advice is after you call Palm call up Assurion and let them know that Sprint is telling customers to make a claim on their insurance , even though sprints own rules say that they will cover a manufacturer warranty In-house.

Sprint is the one causing all the drama in this situation, i don't see way? Do they not want to waste stock giving us new phones? are they making money every time a claim is filed? it doesn't make any sense to me.

hope this helps buddy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post

Any suggestions???

You can either keep going to different sprint stores until someone replaces it for you.......=(

or you can call Palm up 1-877-426-3777 and its recognized as a default and is covered by their warranty. your warranty is good for a year I think. though you have to pay for shipping it there and you'll be without your phone for 7-10 days

I have a similar horror story like everyone else, key things to remember, SPrint store tells the customer that it is physical damage and you MUST file a claim. Sprint can not help you at all, you have to file a claim. Or Call Customer service.

If you call customer Service, they tell you to CALL IN A CLAIM! and if you hassle them they will give you the number to Palm. also there is nothing they can do for you.

You call Palm they inform you that It is covered under their warranty........

Why isn't sprint simply letting you trade the phone in, and then dealing with the warranty on their end? it should be as simple as returning defective cores back to the manufacturers?

And why Am I being told to file a claim. when the logical response should be to call in my warranty. when you file a claim it cost the insurance company money? Not sprint. You pay your deductible. but that doesn't really cover the cost of the phone for the insurance company, it just off-balances it.

As far as I can tell the problem is Sprint and not Palm or Assurion.

both palm and Assurion are receiving an influx of frustrated angry people who have been getting the run around.

My advice is after you call Palm call up Assurion and let them know that Sprint is telling customers to make a claim on their insurance , even though sprints own rules say that they will cover a manufacturer warranty In-house.

Sprint is the one causing all the drama in this situation, i don't see way? Do they not want to waste stock giving us new phones? are they making money every time a claim is filed? it doesn't make any sense to me.

hope this helps buddy!
    So I've had my Pre for what is bordering 3 months, and its been a really great experience until a couple days ago. I, as normal, put my Pre into my pocket, maybe with a little more force than usual. I pull it out 20 minutes later and there are several cracks on the lcd screen. Now, I can't use the touchscreen at all. Do you guys have any suggestions on this? Should I call Palm and see if they will replace it for free? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Go to Sprint first, will (maybe) have to use the insurance for damage.
    But see the thing is, I only had insurance the first month.