View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 222728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch2k12 View Post
    Its not very fragile. As with any screen, you have to be careful. I have dropped mine a couple of times on cement, and there are very very small chips in the side, not even on the screen.

Same here. Many drops, no screen protector and never put it in the case. Never had a crack or start of a crack.
    treo 650 > treo 700w > treo 800 > palm pre > evo 4g > 3vo

galaxy tab 7
    htc evo view
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch2k12 View Post
    Its not very fragile. As with any screen, you have to be careful. I have dropped mine a couple of times on cement, and there are very very small chips in the side, not even on the screen.
    I think you missed the part where people say, it was just sitting on the table, or it was sitting in the holder. I think there is a problem with internal stress in the molded part and heat causes it to crack. Hopefully Palm figures it out. It's my only gripe with the phone. Luckily mine still worked after it cracked.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Well, my screen cracked on me yesterday. Simply in my pocket as usual and no impact whatsoever. Went into my sprint store and they said I would have to pay insurance, unless I call palm direct, to take care of it via warranty. Just got off the phone with palm and initially they said it would not be covered since it was physically damaged. Told the tool that its a known defect. He went and talked to a supervisor and returned saying they will take care of it. Thing is, I have to mail them the phone, he said they will repair the phone and ship it back to me. WTF, how the hell are they going to repair this??? He said once they receive the phone I should get it returned to me within 5 to 7 business days. So I am out of a phone until then. Wondering if I should just suck up the 100 dollars and go through asurion or pay another 100 dollars on top of that to get out of my contract and get another phone alltogether. This blows big uber chunks!!!!!
    How is this a known defect? People just need to be more careful that's all. I carry all my phones in my front pocket and never had a problem. And I don't foresee a problem with the Pre either unless it's my fault.
    Was on the phone talking with my wife earlier, hung up, put the phone back in my leather carry case on my belt, pulled the phone out about 5 minutes later to send a text, and noticed my screen had CRACKS that look to be originating from the center button.

Called Sprint CS, and that was about as worthless as a 3-legged dog running on a patch of ice. Went to my local Sprint store, and got the phone exchanged for a new one with essentially no questions asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcemkr View Post
    Well, my screen cracked on me yesterday. Simply in my pocket as usual and no impact whatsoever. Went into my sprint store and they said I would have to pay insurance, unless I call palm direct, to take care of it via warranty. Just got off the phone with palm and initially they said it would not be covered since it was physically damaged. Told the tool that its a known defect. He went and talked to a supervisor and returned saying they will take care of it. Thing is, I have to mail them the phone, he said they will repair the phone and ship it back to me. WTF, how the hell are they going to repair this??? He said once they receive the phone I should get it returned to me within 5 to 7 business days. So I am out of a phone until then. Wondering if I should just suck up the 100 dollars and go through asurion or pay another 100 dollars on top of that to get out of my contract and get another phone alltogether. This blows big uber chunks!!!!!
    They'll fix it by replacing the entire screen.

I think you're in about the best scenario possible; they're offering to fix it for FREE. If you can't go without it for more than the time necessary, they'll let you get an immediate replacement for $25 + a $400 deposit (which gets returned as soon as they receive your phone).

I'd suggest you find a friend with an old Sprint phone & reactivate it while you wait for your Pre - it will be good as new when you get it back, and you'll appreciate it more than ever after reverting to old technology temporarily!
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    That's what I have done. I am now officially pimping my old treo 700w, whooOOot!!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Update:
    Before sending in my pre to palm I decided to take it in to the main repair center here in san diego. The lady I dealt with took one look and took it back to a repair tech, she returned saying they would replace it immediately. No haggling or anything, seems as if its a known issue, surprise surprise. Lucky for me they had one more pre in stock, unlucky for me was that there is a dead pixel as well. Lucky for me was that she gave me a receipt and said to show up Thursday when they receive new stock to exchange it for a new one. All in all, well done sprint, although it took a few days. Im happy.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    How is this a known defect? People just need to be more careful that's all. I carry all my phones in my front pocket and never had a problem. And I don't foresee a problem with the Pre either unless it's my fault.
    Umm, do you see how many posts are in this thread, I think it's pretty well documented that some screens are cracking in normal conditions.
    My husband had the exact same situation! His was in his shorts pocket, and cracked while he was sitting in an executive desk chair. The worse part about it- the Palm Sync does not sync pictures, so anything that didn't make an upload to Facebook is gone. The best part, our equipment protection plan and a $70 credit from Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Umm, do you see how many posts are in this thread, I think it's pretty well documented that some screens are cracking in normal conditions.
    Umm, no it's a very tiny percentage, it's a public forum with random people and there is little to no proof to support any of these 'normal' usage claims.
    I got the pre on the first day it was available. First let me say, I LOVE MY PRE! With that said, I was not happy that Palm didn't have a good emulator for older palm software, and the one that was offered didn't work well, and it wasn't free to boot.

3 weeks after treating this thing like it was the newborn Christ child, keeping it in the protective cover that came with it and that inside a hard sided case, I went to slide it open with my thumb on the button (gingerly byt the way) and apparently that was enough to shatter the screen like a fat skater on thin ice. First thing I did was search the web for people with the same issue, and there were plenty of them. I called Sprint and they told me I had to make an insurance claim. I called Palm Headquarters and told them that this was starting to surface and they said I was the first case they had received (Clearly a lie since it had been posted numerous times to contact them directly). I then went back to the Sprint store I had purchased it and luckily the guy that helped me out had "Just heard" of the issue, and the manager was excited to do a swap for a new one. I got my new phone, minus the 500+ pictures I had taken that were lost on the old Pre due to the fact that the screen was useless (more reason to have a removable Memory Card)

I got my new, delicate device home and immediately purchased a Skinomi Techskin for it. It came in 2 days and I installed it on the pre (Awesome product by the way). I continue to baby it, carry it in the protective cover and the hard case but now I have developed a single crack on the screen, runs 3/4's the way up it on the right of the screen.

I hate to take my chances with the Sprint store again, but there has got to be something done to make this stop happening! Maybe a better quality acrylic material that is less fragile. It's a cell phone and should be able to take a little bit of a beating, and not crumble for no apparent reason.

This goes out to anyone who has been lucky enough to NOT have your screen crack:

Mine still looks as new as the first day I got it replaced, the 3rd week of June, and it survived 8 Days in Disney. If it cracked with the care I have taken with it, and apparently, it's becoming a higher percentage day by day, I'll await your post the day yours cracks.
    Last edited by Chopperguy; 08/14/2009 at 11:46 AM.
    When reading these posts I can't help but remember the Apple Cube that was released years ago. That thing had an acrylic case and used passive cooling. A lot of people that bought it initially ended up having the case crack out of nowhere. Seemed to be a combination of materials used and heat. Sound familiar?

I just hope that this isn't something that's going to happen to the majority of the Pre's out in the wild. If that's the case then Palm better step up to the plate and eventually do a recall if they make a revision that fixes the problem.
    I dont know if this happened to anyone else, but my phone was in my pocket and the screen cracked some how. Now only one side of the touch screen works and the other side won't and its dead in the middle. Can i get a new phone or am i fish out of water here?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Do you have phone insurance? Because i'm pretty sure warranty won't cover that ;x
    Quote Originally Posted by shamus_1976 View Post
    Here's my crack. It's right below the USB port. This pic actually makes it look worse then it is. If you look closely there is another baby crack above the USB port.

Mine just had this crack.

Was using it last night, did not notice any cracks... just looked at the phone this morning and sure enough exact same usb port crack like you.

*phone has not been dropped or abused..

**also, this phone is a 2nd refurb I got from palm..time for a 3rd pre I guess

Time to call Palm warranty, dammit
    I just discovered cracks on my screen yesterday. They seemingly appeared out of the blue - I didn't drop it or stress it in any way that I know of. They are on the right hand side and look similar to the pattern shown in the first pic in this thread. The touchscreen is not working in the area where the cracks are - renders the phone pretty useless at this point. I will go to the Sprint store tomorrow to see if I can get a replacement (I have the Sprint insurance for damage).
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    The endless pages on this Official Palm Blog should be some evidence to support the fact that this IS a known problem. My screen cracked TWICE and Sprint replaced them both, no prob.

forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?message.uid=206830

For those of you who have had this problem. Sprint WILL replace. No need to pay to use insurance. Call customer service first. Have them notify the store you're going to so you will have no strife.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    there have been so many times where my pre would be in my pocket and i would lean against it and FEEL the pressure...i take out the phone WAITING to see a crack but it never did ***knock on wood***
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    alright I was one of those guys who just had enough time to wait in line for the release and get the Pre. My Pre and I have a love hate relationship. I love it and it hates me. It didn't activate for over 8 hours the first day and the guys at the store were complete idiots. They went as far as to tell me to wait until the next day and it should update by then. I finally god mad enough to call sprint tech support, they did a master reset and viola it activated. But...the proximity sensor was bad so the phone would not work...and... they were by this time sold out. yeah for me! no phone for a week+ So i had a fit and i was lucky to get it in the weeks time. Got the second one and it worked like a charm. Love it. I have apps that am probably the only user of, and it makes my day to day life much easier and enjoyable. From the car to the office, for pleasure and for business, lets not forget the can. Its a great phone.
    I treat it like a baby. I have a screen protector and shin front and back. I have never dropped it, and i always keep it in a safe place.
    Last night i noticed what appeared to be a scratch. It was a crack coming from the corner of the USB slot, it finally crept up onto the screen past the skin. I was livid, 3 months old and already shot. I stayed up till 2am this morning reading this thread to figure out the best plan of attack. I decided to call sprint and ask them to call the store and get a replacement set up for me. NO DICE. As per usual the front line operators are numbnutz. I IMMEDIATELY ASKED FOR A SUPERVISOR IN THE RETENTION DEPT. As these people are highly trained and authorized to make good decisions. So i told her what happened and she started with the insurance BS and i stopped her mid sentence, and said i am not paying a dime send me to the store for a replacment. she ADVISED ME IT WAS A BAD MOVE AS THEY WOULD GIVE ME A REFIRB. She said the ins would replace it with a new one next day and they would charge my account $100, but she was going to credit me $100 so it wouldn't cost me anything. Not such a bad deal. Also i still at this time have a working phone. I have had it sitting on my counter all day, but if i need it i can use it. I was also lucky i could get all my stuff off of it before it was shot. Others were not as lucky as me. I did notice the phone acting up the last few days like mentioned earlier in this thread. It was opening up apps i did not select and it was glitchy. Not sure if this is part of it but it was also telling me last night that i had too many cards open all the time when i was Reading this thread and clicking on links (I DIDN'T HAVE ANY OTHER CARDS OPEN).
    that being said, if you have a skin that covers everything but the screen, and the phone starts acting weird, i suggest you peal it back and check the phone out, at least you can get your info off it before its damaged to the point of no return. I also noticed my crack was about 3mm long onto the screen and hardly noticeable. i went outside today and put on my polarized sunglasses and turned Pandora on for inside my car and when i looked at the phone the crack looked like the Grand Canyon. You cant miss a crack with polarized shades.

I hope Palm gets these issues worked out, i cannot be replacing phones this often, free or not its stressful and a headache. The sprint rep was "able to verify" this was a newer batch of phones for the replacement. I'll inspect it well and see if they have rounded the corners for cutting or done anything else to beef up the phone.