View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaason View Post
    Well you can change my vote to cracked after this weekend. My phone was sitting in the cup holder on a boat while floating in a dock when all of a sudden I heard it dialing on its own. Out of nowhere appeared three cracks all starting from the center button. It was a sunny day, so my only explanation is that the sun somehow expanded the case enough to create the crack or expand an existing one.

I called Sprint who sent me to a store, they sent me to insurance and also suggested I tried Palm. One interesting note is the look on the repair employees faces, almost like "wow, another one". They admitted having seen it before and I live in a smaller community.

My call to Palm was useless, on two attempts they blamed it on user abuse. I plan on fighting Sprint for the $100 deductible.

It's clearly obvious these are manufacture defects that Palm/Sprint are not owning up too. Perhaps its time to reach out to the same lawyers involved who filed the the Treo 600 & 650 lawsuits? It seems that's the only time larger companies will react.

Mine cracked as well. I was out golfing and I had a pair of light UnderArmor shorts (they are very thin, like basketball shorts) and the screen broke when i pulled it out of my pocket. After being told to go to 3 different stores, I took mine to the one I bought it from. The guy told me they can't exchange it because warranty doesn't cover physical damage! A warranty covers MANUFACTURER'S DEFECTS. Hell, even his phone had multiple cracks up the screen from the same area and told me that they were told it was "a fragile screen." Why make a screen fragile if its meant to be touched? They wanted me to pay the $100 deductible and I told them no. I called Sprint, and thank god, they are going to credit me $100 for the claim, which is awesome . This kind of sucked too because I have 8 days on my 30 day grace period, but since I have to get a new phone the serial numbers won't match so I cant cancel out. But luckily Sprint was cool, their service was many times faster than T-Mobile out in Des Moines, and the phone keeps me from buying a TomTom.

I agree, we definitely need to get some lawyers in on this one. Some heavy hitter lawyers at that. I wouldn't mind so much if Palm would man up and agree it was a manufacturing defect (because it IS), but to blame it on us is the dumbest move possible. The same crap happened with Toyota and their engine sludge, blaming it on 1000's of consumers. Palm, quit being a bunch of *******s and acknowledge your crappy quality control, the Xbox 360 was horrible, but Microsoft stood behind it all the way, follow their path.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    mine too...gone through the whole ordeal, even punished my son....i feel like a horses arse.

I will be calling Sprint to get my deductible waved tho.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Do you guys know if there is a way to connect via USB to your laptop when the screen is cracked?
    My screen cracked and I would LOVE to get the photos off of it.
    When I plug it in, I have 3 choices:
    1. media sync
    2. usb drive
    3. just charge

Surely there's a keyboard shortcut out there that will let you toggle between those 3 options (without pressing on the screen) and then select the one I want.
    Thanks guys.
    Well, my first attempt to exchange at the Sprint store I purchased was a failure. I got some underling floor supervisor who had this deer in the headlights look. His ultimate response was that they were just a 'B' store, whatever that means, and that I needed to take to a Sprint repair store.

So I found a repair store nearby. At first the underling was going to exchange it, but he took it to his manager while several other tech underlings crowded around. He came back and said that they could replace it but for a charge of $120. Their belief was that I bumped it or put pressure on it... maybe while I was getting into or out of the car. I disagreed and said it certainly wasn't bumped and had been in the Palm belt holster. Besides how would it crack on the side by the usb charger...

Enter the store manager who again tried to convince me that he couldn't replace it because it wasn't a mfg defect and was physical damage. They have not received an notices about Palms cracked or in that manner. My reply was just because Palm hasn't noted it as a defect doesn't mean that it isn't a defect. I had to go over and over it for about 20 minutes and he was being vague saying it looked like a scratch... I had to show him that the 'scratch' was not on the outside, but on the inside and that it was a crack. We went in circles for a while.

Finally, he said he'd check with Palm and some sites, etc. I asked him to specifically google or look up the pre quality issue video on precentral.net. Again, all the techie underlings gathered round the monitor and looked... because the video from PreCentral shows the exact same issue I have, isn't that interesting.

So after another 10 minutes he came out and had a new Palm Pre phone with him! Score one for customer service, although, I did have to work pretty hard for it. I made sure to let the manager know that I was very happy that he was doing the right thing. Hopefully a little goodwill will grease the wheels for the next unfortunate soul.

Bottom line, my experience was take it to a Sprint repair center, stand your ground, but remain calm and polite... be firm. My unit was only 23 days old and didn't have a scratch or mark on it save the crack on the side. BTW I never mentioned to the manager that I had the insurance because I didn't want to give him an easy way out.

Hopefully my new Pre will survive... I thought I babied the first one. This thing is going to be unbelievably babied.
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    this is EXACTLY like what i've got. EXACT look and feel, and angle, and behavior. Like it was designed this way.
    i have gone through 4 pre and they all have the same problem regarding this crack
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got my Pre on 6/25. Loaded it all up and fell in love with it during a day of flying to vacation in Canada. Worked like a charm. Kept in the case the whole time as it looked/felt fragile, and the case seemed to wipe the smudges as I gently extracted it to answer phone, play with it. Got all my music (itunes), pictures, work doc's, travel info, etc all in it- apparently to stay and delight the palm techs as they replace yet another screen and send this baby to you guys when it happens to yours)

When I wasn't checking email, I would put in airplane mode to save battery life as it was searching for signals (which didn't exist where I was, but they had wifi...) and running out by 2pm.

3rd day in Canada I set alarm for 5am to go fishing (like I did every night before). Put in airplane mode and set it on top of the soft case on my nightstand. Alarm went off and I noticed I couldn't swipe the screen to unlock it. Decided to fool with it later as I was running late.

Returned at noon to find I couldnt swipe the screen. Pulled battery to reset it and while it was dark, saw series of cracks, just like everyone is mentioning and showing in pics radiating up from "the button". Keyboard works fine.

It's dead. Can't wipe it as can't get out of airplane mode. Can type (beautifuly) as in search to get to any program/contact/device info I need, but can't move around screen to get anything done.

Have spoken to every one at sprint and asurion (who wanted faxed affidavit and copy of drivers license...from a fishing camp, in Canada... right) Reactivated the wife's centro (took her her new Pre at same time- her's is fine) as my 'trip home phone' until I could get back to the 755p tank (I named it Jason from Friday the 13th- it won't die) but the lag to web is KILLING ME.. now more than ever since I had a pre for 3 days... it's like going from a T1 to dialup or losing the remote control)

while on hold with sprint to request my replacement Pre I came across this forum (on my favorite treo website) and saw how many people have the EXACT same hands off damage problem I have and decided against it.

Finally received a reasonable/responsive Sprint rep who is sending me return kit and will credit my account. I will not get another which breaks my heart- it's the slickest, most useful phone I've ever had.

Waiting on my hideously common (and reliable) blackberry (755p without wifi won't do). Been a palm guy for 7 years (from the best: i500 to the beast 755p) and won't do the Treo Pro winmo)

My only hope is that WHEN the wife's breaks its within 30 days so I'm not out $100 that time either.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Wow. I am still subscribed to this thread so I still get updates. I am so glad I took my Pre back after 14 days with it now. I have to admit, it was heartbreaking. I loved the OS, multitasking, etc., but was so scared with the whole screen cracking mess. I have the worst luck, so I could see it happening to me on day 31 with the phone! I really, really hope they put that OS in a body like a Treo or Blackberry next time around.

For now, I did jump ship to the iPhone (I know, I suck!). Never had one before, but I have to admit am loving it (especially now that I have tethering to my MacBook -- without jailbreaking -- figured out on it). Would never admit it to my iPhone fanboy son, however. LOL!

Absolutely HATE AT&T though. Reception seems to be okay in my area, but their customer service is no where near as good as Sprint's was for me. My plan is costing me about the same as what i was paying with Sprint, but only because I don't do heavy texting and don't ever come anywhere near using all my minutes. My phones have always been used the most for emails / web browsing because of my work. If I was a heavy texter and/or talker, then they would be more $$$, for sure.

I had been with Sprint for over a decade and loved their service and customer support, so it broke my heart to jump ship. But, I too, needed a WiFi phone and was willing to go Treo Pro with WINMO. Play with BB, but just wasn't the right fit for me.

Hopefully in two years, when my contract is up with AT&T, Sprint/Palm will have come out with good solid hardware, running the WebOS, and I can jump back.
    In the interest of useful information:
    never out of case, never in back pocket, rarely in front, since primary use was listening to music and checking email in airport, was in my hands 80% of time, sometimes got hot as hell (especially inital sync with itunes) opened it sort of like the diagram, but just felt that was wrong- but admit it was probably like I thumbed it up at bottom of screen above button. No damage to outer 'glass', it's definately underneath it. can't get dates as can't scroll down that phone developer screen you get to with ##786#.
    to wipe device with no touchscreen, see sblankdds post here:

see this //forums.precentral.net/hardware-use-trouble-shooting/187641-case-you-cant-get-webos-doctor-work.html
    OK for some reason, my post from yesterday never showed up. Not sure what happened there. PALM WILL REPAIR YOUR PHONE FOR FREE if you call them directly. Sprint won't help you.

Call Palm's support line and describe the problem; they know about the issue and should replace the phone without cost to you (besides shipping the phone to them). Downside: They say it will be 5-7 business days turnaround after they receive it.

I ran out and bought me a $20 Piece-of-Crap™ to tide me over. Sucks being without my Pre for a couple weeks, but its better than no touch screen at all, and better than paying off Asurion to do what should be done for free.

Edit: Just a side-note; the poll results for this thread are at just a hair under 20% of respondents. I realize that this is FAR from a scientific study, but just the fact that ONE in FIVE people who responded have experienced this ONE issue, ought to be a signal to Sprint that something's up -- I mean, IF they were paying attention and cared, which is also a stretch methinks.
    Last edited by creatorbri; 07/08/2009 at 06:20 PM.
    just got my new pre from assurion...when fed-ex driver brought the box to me, it looked like it had been through a war! It was already open from the bottom and looked like at some point the box had been sitting in water (but was dry by the time it was delivered). Nothing seemed to be damaged inside and so far the phone works okay but i was wondering if anyone else had this experience with assurion and if i should be concerned. thanks!
    THE PHONE CRACKS COME FROM SUN and/or HEAT! I think as summer goes on there will be more and more issues with this. I live in LA, and had the pool on an outdoor table in 90degree heat. as I was using it with the sun shining on it, was watching cracks appear before my eyes, and then I finally realized what was happening. The chipped paint stopped when I took it out of the sun. In warm climates this will be an issue!
    Quote Originally Posted by mkatb View Post
    just got my new pre from assurion...when fed-ex driver brought the box to me, it looked like it had been through a war! It was already open from the bottom and looked like at some point the box had been sitting in water (but was dry by the time it was delivered).
    I would have refused delivery, called assurion and explained why and that you want another phone. Since you did accept it, you should have at least taken pictures of the box before you opened it.
    i noticed a crack on my pre today at work. i have pampered the phone as much as possible and i'm unaware of any physical damage that could have caused this. the crack is right under the usb port and there is also a fine one above it.
    Quote Originally Posted by shamus_1976 View Post
    i noticed a crack on my pre today at work. i have pampered the phone as much as possible and i'm unaware of any physical damage that could have caused this. the crack is right under the usb port and there is also a fine one above it.
    Do you charge via the USB port? I've seen a few people post that their cracks started from there, that's one reason I got a touchstone, thinking that somehow the constant plugging/unplugging may somehow contribute to the cracks. Sure, on a "normal" phone you would never think twice about it but there is definitely an issue with the Pre's screen being fragile.

I love the Pre so far but if mine ever cracks, I think I'll get something else until the next generation WebOS phones come out.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Ouch
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    So, I bought my Pre on the first day from Best Buy. Less than two weeks later, the screen cracked.

It happened the same way many others have written. Just noticed it being unresponsive and upon further inspection, noticed cracks originating from the center button.

This was in the morning and I charge my phone using the Touchstone. So, if indeed the cracks are caused by heat, they could have been caused by the internal heat generated from charging on the Touchstone. (I seem to remember my phone would get hot when charging via the usb port as well, so it may just not be safe to charge the phone in general ).

Anyhow, this was about a month ago, I researched the issue that day at work. After finding that multiple other people had the same issue I thought I could probably head down to my local Sprint repair center and they would know what to do.

Nope. Nobody at the store claimed to know anything about it (even though I showed them the original PreCentral.Net article). The manager told me that he couldn't do anything for physical damage unless it was an offical "known issue". He referred me to Palm.

I immediately called Palm. The girl I talked to also told me that she had never heard of any other cracked screen cases. She let me file an official service complaint (or something) but offered me two options that would have costed me more than the $100 deductable from Asurion.

Unlike other people here, my screen was only unresponsive on the right side. I was still able to use the left side so I decided to hold off on making any moves. I was able to use most functions on the phone by using Universal search and being creative with the accelerometer to get what I needed on the left side of the screen.

I waited a couple weeks and returned to the Sprint store. The sales rep I talked to acknoledged that she'd seen others like that but when she went to her manager he absolutely refused to take any action or even make a phone call to check on the issue.

I waited another couple weeks and called Palm again (after reading here that they would repair it for free). The girl that I talked to told me that she hadn't heard of this issue before and that there was nothing she could do. I asked to speak to her manager. She put me on hold for a minute or so and then came back on the line and told me that she had been instructed by her manager to repair the phone for free!

So, with my experience, whats been written here about Palm repairing the phone for free is true. I was advised that it would take 5-7 days from the time they receive it to receive it back. I sent it two-day air (for $20) and it was delivered on Thurs morning. The status of my service order hasn't changed to received yet, so they may be backed up.

Anyhow, I'm glad that Palm has finally acknowledged the issue and I'm hoping that Sprint will soon as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldbriq View Post
    Anyhow, I'm glad that Palm has finally acknowledged the issue and I'm hoping that Sprint will soon as well.
    The big question that has yet to be answered: What's the root cause?

A) Poor quality materials used
    B) Assembly issue (something overtorqued/overstressed, etc.)
    c) Design problem (overheating during charging or use which contributes to cracking while using the slider.)
    D) A combination of any or all of the above.

Best case: It's just a bad "run" of Pre's that have the issue.
    Worst case: All of our Pre's are affected by this and it's just a matter of time before we see more of them. (I doubt this is the case.)

I'm not counting the Pre's that were cracked due to owner abuse/accidents but the ones that show a trend, such as cracks radiating upwards from the bottom button or from the side near the USB port.

When I first got my Pre, I was sliding upwards from the bottom near the button area, maybe those that have the cracks are using this method? I currently use palms recommend method of using your thumb in the middle of the screen to slide upwards and I have to say, it does open easier that way.

Glad to see Palm fixing for free. I have an 800w and a Centro that I could re-activate for a few weeks if I need to send mine in for repair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Do you charge via the USB port? I've seen a few people post that their cracks started from there, that's one reason I got a touchstone, thinking that somehow the constant plugging/unplugging may somehow contribute to the cracks. Sure, on a "normal" phone you would never think twice about it but there is definitely an issue with the Pre's screen being fragile.

I love the Pre so far but if mine ever cracks, I think I'll get something else until the next generation WebOS phones come out.
    My best guess is i bumped it against the wooden arm of my sofa while walking by. The phone was in my pocket and in the case though. IF that caused the damage it really took little force to crack. I'm skeptical and feel it's just cheap plastic.

Yes I use the USB cable to charge. I'll post a photo when the forum lets me.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    change mine from no cracks to cracked.

Like alot of others. It was not dropped or anything. and all of a sudden I couldnt tap on the lower part of the screen or it was really inaccurate. turned off my screen and say three tiny cracks starting from the center button. by the morning they went up the screen and my phone was barely useable.

Good news though i got it replaced for free from a sprint service center.