webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > My Cracked Screen
My Cracked Screen
View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.
No - still in good condition 645 56.93%
Yes - but I dropped or bumped it 90 7.94%
Yes - but I was careful with it 398 35.13%
Voters: 1133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06/07/2009, 09:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
cme

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballintom22 View Post
I went to the store today and they said any physical damage has to go thru asurion now. And my store was out anyways so itd be like the same thing.

My crack started right at the bottom of the screen and goes all up the left side of the screen.
wow i just called asurion and they said they would replace it with a blackberry pearl!!
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 09:39 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
Yeah i've heard the similar iphone stories.

Front pocket tighness cracked screens.
I think that's true. My wife had a Kyocera flip phone that she treated like a baby and normally kept it in a case in her purse. One day she put it in her front jean pocket, went grocery shopping. She came home and the screen was cracked. She's positive she didn't bump it at all.

palandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 09:40 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by santos View Post
I don't see how not using a case and possibly smashing the screen in your pocket isn't your fault. My Pre has no cracks because I keep it in a case. The little fabric sleeve the phone comes with is for very basic protection.
...Because this guy is very careful, has never had such a problem with other phones before, and he didn't even know it happened until later when he pulled it out of his picket. Doesn't sound to me like leaning one's leg against the arm of a chair warrants the screen cracking all the way down the center, no? Also, I'm not sure how using a little fabric case is going to help with this problem anyway. Isn't that what kind of case you're using? This guy's Pre already was in a fabric case of sorts, because it would have been inside a pocket, and then would have had the layer of pants covering that too.
MisterB#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 09:41 PM   #44 (permalink)

Some of the upcoming Vaja Cases look like they'll offer good protection.
Old 06/07/2009, 09:41 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
I've been in the habit of putting the screen facing my leg for years, don't know if that would've helped in this case or not though.

Still, probably not a bad idea if anyone isn't doing it already.
yeah im gunna do that from now on...also thinkin about getting ghost armor/invisishield, u guys think that would prevent something like this or would a case be the best bet?
bballintom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 09:42 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
...Because this guy is very careful, has never had such a problem with other phones before, and he didn't even know it happened until later when he pulled it out of his picket. Doesn't sound to me like leaning one's leg against the arm of a chair warrants the screen cracking all the way down the center, no?
No way to tell how hard he leaned on it or if there was an inadvertent bump he didn't realize took place.
Old 06/07/2009, 09:44 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
I've been in the habit of putting the screen facing my leg for years, don't know if that would've helped in this case or not though.

Still, probably not a bad idea if anyone isn't doing it already.
Good point. That's what I do too. OP: How do you normally put the phone in your pocket? Screen facing in or out? Do you always put your phones facing the same direction?
MisterB#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 09:46 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme View Post
wow i just called asurion and they said they would replace it with a blackberry pearl!!
Well when i called earlier this morn the lady said they didn't even have any pre's in-stock yet so she put me on hold and came back and told me that she has to do a "manual form"?? anyways she said her supervisor would have to order it. Anyways i called about an hour ago just to make sure i was getting a pre, the guy said that it was going to be a PEARL just like u said and i'm like umm nooo. So the guy puts me on hold for like 10 min and came back and apologized and said i was gettin a pre and that itd just take an extra business day. So i better get a PRE or i'll be
Old 06/07/2009, 09:51 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
No way to tell how hard he leaned on it or if there was an inadvertent bump he didn't realize took place.
Well, I'll agree I can't tell how hard I might have leaned on it. That why I'm wondering it torquing the case

However, a bump? Surely a "bump" hard enough to bust the screen I would have known about - because that should have had to been a pretty good wack to the phone - and my leg. And that would be pretty close to my "package" - something I would probably notice..
quahtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 09:53 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Good point. That's what I do too. OP: How do you normally put the phone in your pocket? Screen facing in or out? Do you always put your phones facing the same direction?
Honestly, I don't know which way the phone was facing - because I first put it in the soft pouch - then I put the pouch in my pocket. So it could have been flipped either way.

I normally put my Centro facing screen in - because it was ready and facing the right way when I pulled it out.
Thanked By: bballintom22
Old 06/07/2009, 09:59 PM   #51 (permalink)

Its a pressure crack and most stores will not replace it. Its caused from a point of pressure against the screen as apposed to cracking/breaking from dropping the device. Theses cracks are more common in phones with larger screens.

Goes without saying but don't let Asurion send you a Pearl (its a great phone, but not a Pre).

Not sure how to get the greatest protection for your device...maybe Otterbox will make something.
mcnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 10:01 PM   #52 (permalink)

Holy crap this is bad news. Way too many people to be some fluke. Are you all sure PALM won't cover this with the manufacturer warranty?
Conceyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 10:11 PM   #53 (permalink)
cme

at Palm forums many people are having this problem.
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 10:13 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conceyted View Post
Holy crap this is bad news. Way too many people to be some fluke. Are you all sure PALM won't cover this with the manufacturer warranty?
I doubt itd b covered manuf warranty b/c this is physical damage
Old 06/07/2009, 10:17 PM   #55 (permalink)

Why put such a fragile and expensive piece of equipment in your pocket? Thats like asking for something to happen...
Tekknology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 10:27 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
...Because this guy is very careful, has never had such a problem with other phones before, and he didn't even know it happened until later when he pulled it out of his picket. Doesn't sound to me like leaning one's leg against the arm of a chair warrants the screen cracking all the way down the center, no? Also, I'm not sure how using a little fabric case is going to help with this problem anyway. Isn't that what kind of case you're using? This guy's Pre already was in a fabric case of sorts, because it would have been inside a pocket, and then would have had the layer of pants covering that too.
I meant that the fabric case is not enough protection. I bought the leather one from Sprint.
santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 10:28 PM   #57 (permalink)

One might try to argue since it's happening a lot it's a manufacturing defect that's causing these problems. a screen shouldn't crack from simply being placed in a pocket. I could understand if it fell.

As far as the assurion insurance go...there is no phone out there that is comparible to a pre (until EOS comes out). this is a one of a kind type of phone. Reason being is the operating system. this is what makes the pre a pre, and by no means should a new phone be replaced with a cheaper phone.
Old 06/07/2009, 10:36 PM   #58 (permalink)

I wouldn't assume this is a manufacturer's defect. These screens are fragile. If you put even a (relatively) small amount of force on a small area...That's generally going to be enough pressure to pop the screen leading to the cracks. Its like that with any display.
megamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2009, 10:49 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by santos View Post
I meant that the fabric case is not enough protection. I bought the leather one from Sprint.
Is the leather one "hard" enough to prevent any pressure being put on the phone surface? Or does it just protect from "scratching" type issue?
Old 06/07/2009, 10:51 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekknology View Post
Why put such a fragile and expensive piece of equipment in your pocket? Thats like asking for something to happen...
I've carried phones in my front pocket for years and have never had an issue. Even with an HTC Touch Diamond - no problems. It seems to me to be a pretty safe place - how often, if at all, do you take blows to the front of your legs?

Tags
broken, crack, lcd, screen, touch

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0