View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    My repair center received notification yesterday that in some cases cracked touchscreens can be replaced under ESRP/TEP/Warranty for free. The crack should originate either from the main button and spiderweb upwards or spiderweb out from the power button/charging port.

The units will be inspected to make sure this is not abuse, but this should be helpful for some of you who have been told only a insurance claim can help you.

It's possible not every repair center has been informed about this since this was passed on to us in a phone call, instead of the normal notification we receive via email concerning phones with manufacturing issues.
    It says 15 posts to post a PM. And I only have 8, now 9.

-Moving on up... to the east side. You know the rest.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    What I was going to ask in the PM was can the Pre cracks be repaired or can they only be replaced. I love my Pre and want the same on that I purchased from launch. sorry for the Trip post. But I need post to PM.... so.
  3.    #563  
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    My repair center received notification yesterday that in some cases cracked touchscreens can be replaced under ESRP/TEP/Warranty for free.
    Anyone with any sense came to that same conclusion a long time ago, just like my local store when I went back with my cracked pre on 6/8, and they gave me a new one for free no questions asked. Thank God that my local store people had some sense.

Why it has taken this long for them (corporate) to make this decision is hard to understand.
    My 2nd Pre (1st one turned off all the time) was cracked near the USB port, the port cover broke off, and a plastic piece broke off. This all happened within 1 day (I think it was cracked when it came out of the box, but I did not look at the port). The store were total jerks about replacing it, but they did (and told me it was my last one and I was a difficult customer)... As it was being activated, I looked at it closely and there was a small crack under the surface near the port on that one as well. The store employee then looked at it and moved the port cover, which then broke off in his hand. I am now on my 4th.. luckily the issue is not present on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    Why it has taken this long for them (corporate) to make this decision is hard to understand.
    It's very easy to understand. That's the typical corporate mentality. Deny and hope the problem goes away.

There are usually 2 types of people in the corporate world of these large companies.

1) "Company boys/girls" whose only interest is in moving up the ladder and doing anything to give the appearance of "improving thing." They hold their monthly meetings with their pretty graphs and power point presentations and pat each other on the back for a job well done, even though some of them resort to flat out falsification of data in order to make themselves look good. This actually works for awhile but eventually will catch up to them and the downfall begins.

2) Then there are those that genuinely care and try to help people but in order to do that, they have to spend money to take care of problems. BAD! BAD! How dare you replace that broken Pre for the customer! That's costing the company money! These good people usually don't advance very far because they either quit out of frustration or get "let go" for some trumped up reason.

I think the cracked screen issue with the Pre finally got enough exposure through these forums and also from people returning them to the stores & complaining to customer service. At some point, the "Company boys/girls" realized that they couldn't hide or deny the problem any longer and decided that the best damage control was to replace the Pre's with the obvious defects, especially since Palm has one foot in the grave already. In their defense, a few early reports of cracked screens could be chalked up to customer abuse/mishandling so we can give them a little leeway there, but as the problem increased, their failure analysis team (if they had one) should have been able to verify the root cause.

Maybe I'm being a bit too harsh here because the Pre has only been out for a month and in the corporate world, that's not much time. It probably takes them that long to schedule their bathroom breaks. But I also have to wonder if any of these issues showed up in their internal testing. I know the pressure was on to release the Pre and when you are under the gun, quality suffers.

It's a universal constant, the higher up the corporate ladder, the more snakes, weasels, back stabbers, you will find. They get huge bonuses while the "little guys" that do the work get a few paid holidays off.....but I digress.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    my pre just cracked today for just being in my pocket and didnt hit it on anything. to it to the repair center and they said that no matter what its considered physical damage and i have to pay 100 to get a new one. tried to file a claim and they say they are on back ordered. my weekend is ruined
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Not really. Call Palm Tech Support at 877-426-3777 and tell them about the cracked screen. They will repair it for you(for free) or replace the phone with a refurb (for $30.00). Besides if you go through TEP, it ends your 30 day trial.
    Here is my story for yet another cracked pre.

Purchased mine on the day of release (June 6) from a sprint store. Used the phone lovingly from June 6 to July 4th. Plugged the phone into the usb charger the night of July 4th; all was well in the world.

July 5th, I go to unplug my phone to discover 3 cracks linear "cracks" mid-line in the screen running from top toward the bottom. 2 of the "cracks" reach the bottom of the screen but don't appear to extend into the gesture area or button (though they may not be visable), the final one stops about 5mm short of the bottom of the LCD.

I put "cracks" in quotes because the external surface in unblemished, and the LCD itself does not appear to be damaged (displays information perfectly except for the 3 lines that have a prism effect when the power is on).

Drove to the sprint store, was very disappointed. They were unwilling to exchange the phone. They were also unwilling to let me return the phone for a refund. They said that this was "physical damage" but also admitted that the phone did not appear to be damaged in any way.

Called customer service from one of the display phones. They argued with the store rep and later the store manager. The manager stated to the rep "I agree that the phone should be replaced, but this comes down from our regional VP that this is physical damage and that we are not to replace them."

The customer service person on the phone said he would transfer me to Asurion, who gave me over to a voice mail when I said I was very unhappy with their service and wished to have the number for there legal department.

Left the store very angry. Went home to get my girlfriends phone, called customer service and said I wanted to cancel my contract. Was transferred to retention. They said that if I replaced the phone through Asurion, they would give me a $100 credit to cover the deductible.

Before calling Asurion again, I was called by them regarding the voicemail I had left earlier. They person I spoke with was obviously higher up on the chain as she was able to process my claim over the phone without any of the hassle described elsewhere in this thread. She initially said that I would have the phone in 2 days, but then corrected herself saying that it was on backorder and her system said 10 days though she thought it likely that I would get it sooner. She also said the device would be a brand new phone and not a refurb.

My conclusions
    - Though there is lots I hate about sprint, I do like the retention people...they actually have power and are genuinely helpful. They agreed that this was not handled right and that I should not have to use the insurance but said it would be the quickest way to get a replacement.

- Sprint stores reps/managers are not handling this well. Before going to a store with this problem, I would read up on the consumer protection code for your state. Might make a difference if you can quote the code. If this happens again, I will be much better read before confronting sprint.

- The Pre has a real issue here. I love this phone, but it should not be having this problem.

- At least for me, the screen (LCD and surface) are undamaged. I feel the crack is limited to the touch sensor grid.

- I will post pictures later (I don't think my status is high enough yet to post links and pics).

- If this happens again, I will be thinking along the lines of small claims court, but if this is widespread, class-action might be the way to go.

Hope this is helpful. I hope to have a new and working phone soon...will update when I can.
    I waited in line at BB June 6th and was the second person to buy a Pre. The screen cracked yesterday without my doing anything at all. I stopped at BB and they can allow me to use by BB insurance, but that will entail them sending my phone out for 3 weeks or so; they recommended I call Sprint. I did call Sprint and they said to bring it in to a Sprint store tomorrow, which is the last day of the original 30 day warranty, and they will replace it. I don't know if I can find the original box, so I hope I don't regret this purchase decision.
  10.    #570  
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    Well, after 3 weeks of carrying my replaced pre around in the leather case (in my pocket), I've decided to go back to carrying it in my pocket sans case.
    One week down with no problems. I've been treating my Pre like I did my Centro. With respect but not with kid gloves.

For those of you with cracks, did you see the post above saying that Sprint now recognizes the problem? Don't accept a resolution of paying Assurion.
    Looking at getting my Pre replaced because cracks suddenly appeared that originate from the charging/usb port area. Touchscreen portion of the phone is completely dead, but everything else works. Wish the phone was still usable with the keyboard to alteast answer calls.
    Can I say No and Yes, because i dont have a pre, but i did crack my screen of my laptop yesterday.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Mine cracked on the side opposite of the charging port. It does not extend into the screen yet. It is a vertical crack. The screen still functions properly but I will be taking it to a sprint store to see if I can get it replaced.
    Treo 300, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, HTC Mogul, Motorola Q9c, HTC Advantage, Treo 800w, Touch Pro, Treo Pro, Touch Diamond, Palm Pre, Touch Pro 2, and Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    My day-one Pre survived a really ugly fall last night. On a cardio machine at the gym, it fell about three feet from the little console stand to the footpad, bounced off, hit the floor, bounced again, and settled seven feet away. The initial contact was the edge of the Pre meeting the edge of the raised lip around my foot, so it was a tiny point meeting a tiny point. The first bounce on the hard rubber-ish floor was squarely on the corner of the Pre, and it went another foot in the air and landed face down.

It was wearing a Best Skins Ever, and looks completely unscathed. I'll continue to baby it, but I'd been worrying that even the best Pre was more fragile than stunt glass.
    Well, it is happening even if you don't put pressure on it.

I have never had a gadget break on me until the Pre. 2 weeks into owning it.
    And I love it, the iPhone feels like ancient tech, and awkward in comparison. And Sprint plans are more reasonable than AT&T. So I wish this phone was better...

Here is how it cracked:
    - Used it fine inside the house after dinner (all was well).
    - Put it back in my loose front pocket (screen towards me).
    - About 5 minutes later we are outside, I take it out to use it, and the screen isn't responding well, after inspecting it closer (it was almost impossible to see the cracks when staring at it directly) I saw some cracks from the top right corner of the device. Half the touch screen is worthless.

I did not bump into anything, did not drop it (never have), did not.......

Heading to the Sprint store, will let you know how the respond to it.

I don't know if this is widespread, but it doesn't happen on other phones. The iPhone cracks are mostly do to falls and what not, you actually see the abuse. My Pre looks like new, you can't even feel the cracks, they are internal to the display, not a hint of force or abuse or scratches, nothing. But the internal screen crack is clearly there and the device is mostly worthless.
    My Pre is also cracked just like in the precentral.net video regarding the quality issues. I went to the Sprint store on Sunday to get replaced. There is no physical damage to the phone whatsoever, no drops, been in the Palm belt clip leather case... they told me they can't do anything.

I sell a lot of laptops, rugged computers, point-of-sale equipment, etc. and almost everyone has a policy that within 30 days they will replace or repair. I did nothing but baby this phone from day one. I think I'm going to video my next few trips to the Sprint store to see what kind of customer service I get. There is now way possible they can say this was anything but a mfg defect.
    My Pre is also cracked just like in the precentral.net video regarding the quality issues. I went to the Sprint store on Sunday to get replaced. There is no physical damage to the phone whatsoever, no drops, been in the Palm belt clip leather case... they told me they can't do anything.

I sell a lot of laptops, rugged computers, point-of-sale equipment, etc. and almost everyone has a policy that within 30 days they will replace or repair. I did nothing but baby this phone from day one. I think I'm going to video my next few trips to the Sprint store to see what kind of customer service I get. There is now way possible they can say this was anything but a mfg defect.
    Sorry for the mulitple post but here's my pic...

Earlier I posted that Palm has acknowledged that the screen-cracking issue is a known issue with the phone and they can/will repair it for free.

Here's an update: It's Good, but Palm said that my phone WOULD be wiped and reset to its original factory state. So I'll have to find some way to back everything up, and re-root the phone etc. They also said that it'll take 5-7 business days from the time they receive the phone to get it back to me. So I'm in the market for a cheap Sprint phone.
    Well you can change my vote to cracked after this weekend. My phone was sitting in the cup holder on a boat while floating in a dock when all of a sudden I heard it dialing on its own. Out of nowhere appeared three cracks all starting from the center button. It was a sunny day, so my only explanation is that the sun somehow expanded the case enough to create the crack or expand an existing one.

I called Sprint who sent me to a store, they sent me to insurance and also suggested I tried Palm. One interesting note is the look on the repair employees faces, almost like "wow, another one". They admitted having seen it before and I live in a smaller community.

My call to Palm was useless, on two attempts they blamed it on user abuse. I plan on fighting Sprint for the $100 deductible.

It's clearly obvious these are manufacture defects that Palm/Sprint are not owning up too. Perhaps its time to reach out to the same lawyers involved who filed the the Treo 600 & 650 lawsuits? It seems that's the only time larger companies will react.