View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    Noticed a crack of light on the bottom... Definitely more noticeable when I power off and on... Going to add the Best Buy warranty and if it gets worse, I expect it to be replaced...
    Quote Originally Posted by helenrips View Post
    Noticed a crack of light on the bottom... Definitely more noticeable when I power off and on... Going to add the Best Buy warranty and if it gets worse, I expect it to be replaced...
    Can you upload a picture of the crack? It would help. Thanks!

Also, how did you carry your phone?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Wow! The screen does crack easily.

I was on vacation and didn't have coverage in my cabin. I had to walk to the top of the hill in 100 degree weather. I sent e-mails and talked on my phone for half an hour. Needless to say I was dripping with sweat and the phone slipped out of my hand. I've never had a phone break from a 4' fall.

Asurion has been a real pain in the ***. They accused me of just getting the insurance, but I've had it on the Pre line for over two years. They also required me to download paperwork, photocopy my ID and fax it to them. I was on vacation, so I didn't have access to all of the items required to get me replacement web connected PC, a printer, a photocopier and a fax machine. The Sprint stores won't help me and despite reporting the damage a week ago. I won't have a phone for my first day back from vacation.

What a pain.
  4.    #544  
    Well, after 3 weeks of carrying my replaced pre around in the leather case (in my pocket), I've decided to go back to carrying it in my pocket sans case.

The case is nice, but it's just a pain in the **** to take it out of the case every time I need access to the phone.

I'm hoping that my cracked screen issue was simply a defect with that phone - and not one in general.

I guess I'll find out soon enough...
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    Well, after 3 weeks of carrying my replaced pre around in the leather case (in my pocket), I've decided to go back to carrying it in my pocket sans case.

The case is nice, but it's just a pain in the **** to take it out of the case every time I need access to the phone.

I'm hoping that my cracked screen issue was simply a defect with that phone - and not one in general.

I guess I'll find out soon enough...
    You're a brave man!

Wow, treating mine like it's made of tinsel...
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Ok, here's some proof to my theory.. Check out the part on the upper right:

http://www.rapidrepair.com/guides/Pa...complete-1.jpg

Exactly the same shape at the same place.

Like this: \_____________/
    I just noticed this in the lower left corner of my phone while using it last night. Very very tiny bit of light leakage shaped exactly like the corner of the part. It definitely not a crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    You're a brave man!
    I've been carrying mine in the front pocket of my jeans since 3 days after launch without a single scratch or crack. Survived a day in the fanny pack on my motorcycle ride yesterday, unprotected, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I've been carrying mine in the front pocket of my jeans since 3 days after launch without a single scratch or crack. Survived a day in the fanny pack on my motorcycle ride yesterday, unprotected, as well.
    You're a braver man!

I was hoping for the best, still treating it like a new pricey toy, and it happened to me too.

But not only cracks. The entire bottom touch area quit working. (no gestures, lights, etc)

I can still do just about everything on the phone thanks to an odd workaround here and there, like open/closing and sleeping awaking.

I open and it unlocks but before able to touch it I have to pres the top sleep button off then on. Same with the gesture button, if I use this I have to sleep/awake to get the touch working again.

The touch doesnt work about half an inch up from the button.

I am going to sprint right now.

Almost wish I had a 3gs :/
    this same thing happened to me it was in my pocket and i took it out only to find it was cracked. and i didn't get insurance so its $500 to replace. ouch!
    Damn that really sucks i have never broke a screen before however my friend has killed 3 iPhone's they were always in his pocket when it happened the last one i just replaced the screen easy enough... With help from my friend at the sprint store and one from the att store we got 5 phones that were water damaged (no way to repair) 2 iphone 1 touch and 2 treo pro's we did some basic impact tests ie dropping the phone from 5 feet on to concrete 4 withstood that the touch cracked the screen... iphones did not brake just dented same with the treo pro's i was kind of shocked at this point... so we did some pressure test again basic with a force gauge we applied pressure until the screen broke the iphone with stood 48lbs of pressure before cracking the treo pro's 31lbs so we had two left we decided to twist the phones... Both the treo and the iphone screens broke with very little twisting needed... I am thinking when the phone is in your pocket and you sit or do other body movement your leg is rounded so it gives a twisting effect to the device and that's what cracks the screen hope this helps...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimleng View Post
    My previous phone was an HTC Touch. It lived in my pocket 50% of its life. It has zero screen damage. The Palm Pre build quality is just absolute crap vs HTC's.
    I beg to differ every HTC device i had to swap out at least 2 times over its life for stupid stuff that should never brake and i baby my phones... you look at any phone i have ever had it looks new no scratching or anything....
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryClayton View Post
    Wow! The screen does crack easily.

I was on vacation and didn't have coverage in my cabin. I had to walk to the top of the hill in 100 degree weather. I sent e-mails and talked on my phone for half an hour. Needless to say I was dripping with sweat and the phone slipped out of my hand. I've never had a phone break from a 4' fall.

Asurion has been a real pain in the ***. They accused me of just getting the insurance, but I've had it on the Pre line for over two years. They also required me to download paperwork, photocopy my ID and fax it to them. I was on vacation, so I didn't have access to all of the items required to get me replacement web connected PC, a printer, a photocopier and a fax machine. The Sprint stores won't help me and despite reporting the damage a week ago. I won't have a phone for my first day back from vacation.

What a pain.

Yep, they are a hassle. I'm tempted to switch carriers. This is a poor quality phone. I don't consider my "cracked" screen physical damage because it is under the outer surface.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Not that this is proof that Sprint (or Palm for that matter) will be owning up to this issue any time soon, but it is nice to see that they are at least able to admit that they're taking notice. Here's an email I received from Sprint just a few hours after I submitted my complaint via there website.

[Thank you for contacting Sprint.

I understand your concern about the screen of Palm Pre phone being
    cracked.

We are getting various emails on this issue. I am sorry for the
    inconvenience caused to you in this regard. I have forwarded your
    concern to our dedicated department for further research so that this
    issue can be addressed properly. Once we get responded from them, we
    will get back to you.

Thank you for emailing us.

Sincerely,]
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    My screened cracked on sunday, I was on my way in to return my other Pre for No ear piece sound(family members), they had one on hold from saturday after another sprint stored called for me. Well from going to the car into the sprint store I put the phone in my pocket to replace the bad one. As I got into the car I took the phone out of my pocket to make a phone call on mine, not the one I replaced. Nothing would work on the phone, and to my surprise the infamous crack going up the sceen. Right back into the store, guy starts by saying thats physical damage you have to file a claim. The phone was 7 days old, not a scratch on it. I asked for the manager, she stated the same thing. I said you got to be kidding me. I stated firmly that I just purchased 3 Pre's and 2 have already been replaced.This would make replacement number 3. She said let me talk to the tech guy.I told them look on the net there have been complaints. Well 15 mins later they came back and agreed as a one time exchange. This is poor build. just having a phone in your pocket and not doing anything crazy and it cracks.

I am sure enough not going to line my pockets with bubble wrap to protect this phone.

Good luck with the returns. Point the Manager to this website for a reference, that there is an issue.. why pay full price or another $100 to get it replaced.
    Well I sure wish I'd seen this post a few hours ago. I too have the Mysterious Spontaneous Crack that you all have, and I just went through a nightmare of a 4-hour runaround with Sprint and Asurion (the insurance company). Although I have no idea how or when the three cracks appeared, I assumed it was my fault and that I must have dropped or kicked the phone or something. So now Sprint won't honor my 30-day free cancellation period (the phone service quality is horrible in my area), and I have to pay $100 deductible to Asurion.

If it turns out that this is due to a manufacturer defect (which, honestly, it seems pretty obvious now that thats the case), I had BETTER get my deductible back!
    I had the same issue, except, I know how the screen broke. I pushed the white button, and saw the crack appear. Here is what I did, in the order I did it.

1. Called Sprint, and asked if this was a known issue.
    2. Explained the issue in detail, then asked them to document my comments.
    3. Sent a letter to the attorney general of TX, KS, and CA asking them to look into the issue.
    4. Sent a letter to Sprint Executive services asking them to ensure that their employees do not mislead consumers by saying that this is the first time they have heard about this.

Now, I did this for everyone else on this forumn who has this issue. The next time Sprint or Palm say this is not a known issue, they will either be mistaken, or misleading. Document every call, and every conversation. I will post the AG Reference #s so if you choose to do the same, you can reference my #.

By the way, I will get my Pre replaced without incident and without paying the deductible. This was not an issue with abuse, it was a manufacturing defect. The only question is, will Sprint and Palm find and fix the root cause before the AG compells them to?

With apologies to the Sprint Repair Store manager who said Physical = Assurion, this is a SPrint policy, but is far from binding and laughable when looked at through the majority of state consumer protection laws.

I compare these incidents to buying a new car, and having the steering wheel break off. Sure it is physical, but the burden of proof is on the manufacturer to demonstrate that the driver was operating the car in a way that invalidated the hardware warranty of unit as a whole.

FYI...My goal is to get Sprint & Palm to admit, these issues are design flaws, and preemtivly fix or promise to fix future issues for everyone, not just those savy customers who know how to escalate an issue.

I would hope we are all on the same page.
    Thank you
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    My repair center received notification yesterday that in some cases cracked touchscreens can be replaced under ESRP/TEP/Warranty for free. The crack should originate either from the main button and spiderweb upwards or spiderweb out from the power button/charging port.

The units will be inspected to make sure this is not abuse, but this should be helpful for some of you who have been told only a insurance claim can help you.

It's possible not every repair center has been informed about this since this was passed on to us in a phone call, instead of the normal notification we receive via email concerning phones with manufacturing issues.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    What store do you work for, and in what state? My place of purchase didn't recieve the notice as of yet. Obviously they are still stonewalling people into TEP. By the way, where I purchased my phone is in Wilmington DE. If you could help could you call them and tell them about the problem so they don't stonewall people. I will give you the Phone number if you PM me back.