View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
    I can say that I have dropped my pre at least once a day and do not use the case or any other third party cases (yeah i know im special for not lovingly protecting my phone) and a couple of the falls have been over 6' onto bricks or hardwood floor... my screen hasnt cracked and im kind of shocked the case hasnt been scuffed like all my previous palms would have been... dont recommend doing what i do though lol
    I've had my Pre for 5 days and I've been extremely careful with it. The stock screen protector is still on (until my Invisible Shield arrives) and if it's not in use then it's in the stock fabric case. I rarely have the phone in my pocket (half a dozen times probably).

The screen is not cracked, but I was looking carefully for micro cracks and I discovered this strange "line" originating from the center button. I haven't taken the screen protector off yet (again, waiting on the Invisible Shield) so I don't know if this line is in the screen protector or the phone. I suspect it's in the phone because I can't feel the line with my fingernail. At this point after reading this thread if this flaw exists at this particular region of the phone I'm returning the phone (30 day return period). There is NO WAY I did this to the phone, it is a manufacturing defect.

Has anyone else seen this on their phone? It's difficult to see, needs to be in the right light (it was hard to take a picture of it, and the line actually extends further than what can be seen in the photo).

I'm really bummed. I have loved my Pre so far. WebOS is great, though I might just have to wait until the Pre quality issues get resolved (or get an iPhone).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I noticed a similar "line" on my screen the other day. Same circumstances; baby the phone, screen protector, can only be seen at the right angle, etc. Not sure if I'll exchange the phone at this point. I'm reminded of, "beware the devil you don't know for the one you do", or however that saying goes. I'll use the insurance if it becomes a problem. Right now it's really not noticeable.

I the line were around the button, I might be a bit more concerned considering that seems to be the source spot for many cracked screens in the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will9981 View Post
    Your phone should not break for being in your pocket. If it occurs the phone sucks, or cheaply made.....the Pre for example.
    Your pocket can put a lot of pressure on the phone when you sit or squat down. My wife broke the screen on her Kyocera flip phone that way. There's a dozen replace your iPhone cracked screen shops on the net. These newer thinner phones are much more fragile.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I noticed a similar "line" on my screen the other day. Same circumstances; baby the phone, screen protector, can only be seen at the right angle, etc. Not sure if I'll exchange the phone at this point. I'm reminded of, "beware the devil you don't know for the one you do", or however that saying goes. I'll use the insurance if it becomes a problem. Right now it's really not noticeable.

I the line were around the button, I might be a bit more concerned considering that seems to be the source spot for many cracked screens in the thread.
    Since my "line" does seem to originate from the button, I am especially worried. I also have insurance on the phone, however I would still be out $100 for what appears to be a manufacturing defect. That's not fair if you ask me. Or maybe that's the price one pays for being a first adopter.

I hurts a bit to say this, but I'm really leaning towards an iPhone right now. More expensive monthly rates but the hardware and OS are much more proven at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by joelshooty View Post
    Has anyone else seen this on their phone? It's difficult to see, needs to be in the right light (it was hard to take a picture of it, and the line actually extends further than what can be seen in the photo).

I'm really bummed. I have loved my Pre so far. WebOS is great, though I might just have to wait until the Pre quality issues get resolved (or get an iPhone).
    Come on! I've seen clearer pictures of UFO's. Looks ok to me. If it really does crack post some pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy999 View Post
    Come on! I've seen clearer pictures of UFO's. Looks ok to me. If it really does crack post some pics.
    Haha, yeah maybe not the best picture, sorry my camera is not professional grade. My point is this: I can see a manufacturing defect in my screen that will INCREASE the odds of experiencing a cracked screen eventually (the defect is a stress riser). I wanted to bring this to others' attention so they can decide whether this defect is acceptable or not.

I think my strategy will be as follows: Once my Invisible Shield protector arrives, I'll carefully peel off the stock screen protector. Once I verify that the defect is in the screen, I am going straight to my Sprint store to demand an exchange while still maintaining my 30 day return policy. I will bring a copy of this thread (and the official Palm forum thread) to prove that the screen is weak in the button area and that I will not accept a defect that will increase my odds of a cracked screen. If they don't agree to this, then I will return the phone outright and get an iPhone.

I've attached a touched-up version of the original pic to better show the defect I'm talking about. The "line" also extends beyond what can be seen in the photo, represented by the dashed red line.

EDIT: Forgot to give my timeline... purchased Pre on 6/20, first noticed "line" on 6/22 (wasn't worried about it initially), warranty date code 6/11.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joelshooty; 06/25/2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added timeline
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Your pocket can put a lot of pressure on the phone when you sit or squat down. My wife broke the screen on her Kyocera flip phone that way. There's a dozen replace your iPhone cracked screen shops on the net. These newer thinner phones are much more fragile.
    My previous phone was an HTC Touch. It lived in my pocket 50% of its life. It has zero screen damage. The Palm Pre build quality is just absolute crap vs HTC's.
    Another cracked screen here. Starts from the bottom of the screen where the button is. I called Sprint and they directed me to a corporate store to have a technician look at it. I had the phone in the soft case that comes with it, in my front pocket just like everyone else.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Here are some tips for making sure you don't suffer the same fate many of us have with the internal screen cracking on the Pre:

1. Never put your phone in your pocket
    2. Never use the center button
    3. Never open the slider the recommended way by putting your thumb on the screen and sliding upward
    4. Never use your Pre in the sunlight as the Pre may get hot and cause the screen to crack
    5. Never look at your Pre with a sideways glance
    6. Never actually answer your Pre by touching it - use a Bluetooth headset
    7. Encase your pre in a shielded anti-gravity bubble so it floats beside you and has no chance of being touched - Touching the Pre has been known to cause this cracking issue
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonKS View Post
    Here are some tips for making sure you don't suffer the same fate many of us have with the internal screen cracking on the Pre:

3. Never open the slider the recommended way by putting your thumb on the screen and sliding upward
    4. Never use your Pre in the sunlight as the Pre may get hot and cause the screen to crack
    7. Encase your pre in a shielded anti-gravity bubble so it floats beside you and has no chance of being touched - Touching the Pre has been known to cause this cracking issue
    First time I laughed today!
    You forgot:

8. Never charge your Pre
    9. Never use the TouchStone
    And, always speak softly on the phone.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  14.    #534  
    http://www.precentral.net/win-free-pre-where

Interesting tagline on that first picture of the pre!
    And never taunt your Palm Pre. If the Pre begins to smoke, get away immediately, seek shelter and cover head.
    it is obvious all you loosers that have cracked your screens did it on purpose!!!!! - you should have used protection when having sexy time with your PRE!!!!!!

Oh wait I am not one of the PRE fan boys that can see no wrong in the device.

I say return the Pre and wait and see what Palm will do to correct the issue. It is obvious that there is an issue.
    -Treo 650 | 700wx | Centro | 800w | Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonKS View Post

You know, I understand what you are saying.

Phones keep getting smaller and thinner. As they continue down that path, they get more and more fragile. I am a guy with big hands. A Treo 700 is about as small as I need a phone. I don't need a wafer thin phone that will break if I stare at it too hard.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Two cracks appeared on my phone last night, originating from the button. Today I spent several hours on the phone and in the Sprint store trying to exchange my phone. There was much confusion on Sprint's side, with the phone people telling me to take it to the store, and the store folks telling me it was "physical damage" and I needed to file an insurance claim. Everyone I talked to told me that they had never heard of a cracked screen, and implied or outright accused me of having inflicted the damage. This phone was not dropped or mishandled in any way. This is a defect, and from what I'm seeing in the online forums, not an isolated one. In total resignation, and with regret, I went to the Apple store and ported my number over to a new iPhone. I loved my Pre, thought the webOS was brilliant, but I'm self-employed and use my cell phone for business. I was without a phone for almost 24 hours and there was no solution in sight. I now have an iPhone and will try to get my money back from Sprint. I probably have more than $500 in lost billings today, and I couldn't afford another day like that. I'm a long time Handspring and Treo user, and I'm very sad that Palm has lost me forever.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    My Pre just cracked tonite.
    I'm going to the Sprint store tomorrow and if they don't give me a new one for free, I'll be going directly to the Apple store to get iPhones for me and my wife.
    Such a shame.
    I've been extremely excited about my Pre and now I'm just so disappointed.
    This phone must be just too fragile for simple everyday use.
    Been with sprint since 1998 and never had any issues with any phone I've had.
    From another thread... the keyboard causing cracked screen? Anyone else verify? Cool if true because at least they isolated issue and if it is a fit issue, they could resolve many other issues with the proper tweak... loose slider, oreo twist, cracked screens and failing pixels could all be related to a single fit issue.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...y-4th-pre.html