View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

    645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

    90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

    398 35.13%
Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 757
  1. #501  
    Quote Originally Posted by fourply View Post
    hello all, sorry for the long time no update on the wife (axlrosie)'s pre crack or light leakage, whatever the case may be - i have been out of town since early yesterday.

    after my wife got turned away from the hamilton rd sprint store by alyssa on saturday, i called alyssa (manager on duty, and pre advocate was out of the store) and raised a stink. i explained that this is an issue experienced by more people than just us (mentioning this forum repeatedly and the fact that i would be reporting on my experience with this issue) but she remained steadfast in her assertion that the damage was merely cosmetic and did not impair the function of the device, and that they would not be replacing the phone. she stated that as this was not a "known issue", which she explained as an issue that sprint and palm had agreed to exist, that there was nothing that she could do.

    i pointed out that this was not the level of service i had come to expect from this store and that i was exactly the kind of guy that sprint needed to keep happy if this phone is to be a success. i explained that i was seventh in line at launch, and was so pleased with the experience there that i made it a point to call the store the following monday to congratulate them on how the launch was handled. she seemed to start to sympathize a bit, and said she would call the store manager and get his opinion.

    she called back within 5 minutes and said that the manager, jean, had agreed with her and was declining to replace the device. she agreed to text me his contact info, as i was driving, and told me when he would be in next (just a few hours later). after jean had arrived at the store, i called him to discuss the issue.

    jean was quite willing to listen to me, but was initially quite firm in his assertion that he would not be replacing the device. i asked him whether he would be happy with the level of service he was receiving if he were in my position, and he initially stated that he would, as the damage was merely cosmetic. he stated that several technicians and alyssa had determined that the damage was not through any fault of my wife, but that it was cosmetic and did not interfere with the device functionality, that we should feel lucky to even have the device, as the columbus easton waiting list is between 100-200 people. i repeated my argument that, as an educated and vocal member of the burgeoning pre community, my happiness was key to sprint and palm's continued success. i asked him if he would be happy if he had purchased a new bmw only to find paint bubbling 2 weeks into ownership, and he agreed that he would not. however, he was still reluctant to replace the device, and suggested that we come in after the 30 day period had passed and they would "take care of us". i explained that this was not acceptable, and informed him at that time that i am an attorney and would not hesitate to take sprint to small claims court if it came down to it (love having that degree in my pocket to use as a club when necessary). i also mentioned the possibility of returning both phones and leaving sprint entirely. at this point, jean mentioned the possibility of calling his district manager to see what he thought, but explained that he knew that he would just tell him to replace the device. i agreed, stating that this is what should have happened as soon as my wife walked in the door. he asked to call me back in a few minutes so he could "run it by" the district manager (keep in mind, this is a saturday afternoon). the total phone call took in excess of 18 minutes. both jean and i remained calm during the entire exchange and it was, by and large, a pleasant conversation even though we were arguing from entirely different positions.

    jean called me back within 4 minutes and told me what i knew he would - that the district manager told him to replace my wife's phone. he apologized for wasting my time and asked when we could schedule a time for him to personally meet with my wife and i to get the phone exchanged. unfortunately, i was out of town and my wife was at work until almost midnight, so tomorrow will be the earliest opportunity we both have to go in and get it done.

    so.... the story has a happy ending, but it took one trip to the sprint store so far, my wife axlrosie getting quite upset, a 5 minute call to the sprint store to talk with alyssa, a three minute return call from her, an 18 minute phone call to jean, a brief followup call with him, a sprint district manager's involvement on a saturday afternoon, and another trip to the sprint store tomorrow. you can draw your own conclusions from that.

    tl, dr.
    I don't think ur phone was cracked according to ur pics. I think any other phone may have the same light leakage. Its going to be a gamble. I kinda have to say that ur returning a reasonably fine phone. if I was the manager and I knew that it was light leakage, I don't think you deserved another phone. Now I don't think palm has a very polished manufacturing process and anyone paying $200 for a phone deserves better, but I personally think you overreacted over truly a cosmetic thing. Its not affecting the phone and its not a crack. Why make such a big fuss about it?
  2. fourply's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #502  
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    I personally think you overreacted over truly a cosmetic thing. Its not affecting the phone and its not a crack. Why make such a big fuss about it?
    because i paid $300 for the phone, and it upsets my wife that it is blemished. i agree with you to an extent, and if it were my phone i might not care, but am still certain that this should not be happening, and i refuse to accept an inferior product just because functionality is not impaired.

    i love this phone as much as the next guy, but cannot excuse such a blatant flaw if i don't have to.... and i don't have to.
  3. #503  
    I had the screen on my Pre crack and when I brought it into the store they did not want to give me a replacement, but instead wanted me to use my insurance. I went in with a printout of this forum and showed them that many people had similar cracks on their phones. I was not too crazy about the insurance idea, since I would then have to drop a hundred dollars for the deductible. So the guy at the store says unless Sprint customer service OK's something, there is nothing he can do. So I get on the phone and talk to customer service while in the Sprint store. The rep I got was very helpful and was in full agreement that I should be given a free replacement since my phone was only days old. I then put the manager of the store on the phone, she talked to him and then the store changed their tune and gave me a replacement. I had to wait a few days for a new shipment to come in, but was content with the free replacement. Overall happy with the customer service with Sprint and hopefully I don't have any more issues with the screen's durability, because I really think the OS on the phone is incredibly easy and fast to use.
  4. #504  
    Quote Originally Posted by fourply View Post
    because i paid $300 for the phone, and it upsets my wife that it is blemished. i agree with you to an extent, and if it were my phone i might not care, but am still certain that this should not be happening, and i refuse to accept an inferior product just because functionality is not impaired.

    i love this phone as much as the next guy, but cannot excuse such a blatant flaw if i don't have to.... and i don't have to.
    i'm in the same boat as you are. i had the EXACT same thing. and once i explained to my wife what the deal was (thx to @bruba), she understood, and she was cool with it because it was so small, and hard to notice. and i explained to her that i think it's just the way the phone is because of the circuit board, and any other phone may be the same. i noticed the same thing on the demo unit at the sprint store and i told the manager.

    i feel for your experience with sprint. they probably shouldn't have wrote you off like that and use the "cosmetic" as a excuse. but i guess i just kinda also feel bad for the sprint guys because they had to "deal" (no offense) with you over something that wasn't even what you claimed it was (a non-existant crack). i'm glad you got a new phone, and i wish you all the best that you dont have any light leaks.

    i agree there is a flaw, but it's just so minor, probably 9 out of 10 people, excluding the extremely educated members of this forum, wouldn't have even noticed. i only noticed after reading this thread and seeing your pictures. i think palm will eventually iron things like this out after the manufacturing process matures, but it's not too terrible. i mean look at the RROD issue MS had to go through with Xbox 360. Now that's a real issue, and those suckers were $350 when i got mine.
  5. #505  
    When the original Iphone came out,my friend left his in a car (summer time) while at work. He came back and the screen was cracked. So probably has to do with the heat, atleast somewhat. By the way, apple replaced his free and with no hassle. This is the only thing holding me back from getting the Pre. Has anyone went to a sprint store and talked to the manager before buying the Pre about the problems and gotten an assurance that it will be replaced if anything like this happens? Im supposed to buy one on friday, but these forums are giving me second thought about all the hassle everyone is going through.
  6. Santowl's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #506  
    Here is a link to the OPs post on SprintUsers. I was able to add my pics there. Add the www to the front.

    sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188829&page=5
    Last edited by Santowl; 06/21/2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Forgot something
  7. #507  
    i've noticed the phone to be very slippery and it's rounded edges have caused it to slip outta my hands at times.
    ---
    johnny olsen
    photography, digital imaging and web hosting
    http://johnnyolsen.com
  8. #508  
    Quote Originally Posted by Santowl View Post
    Here is a link to the OPs post on SprintUsers. I was able to add my pics there. Add the www to the front.

    sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188829&page=5
    Guys, post how long you have had the Pre before it cracked. I am curious if they are launch day Pre's? Is there a pattern for example do they tend to crack within a day or two or after weeks? If the screen is defective I would hope it would crack right away. It would suck if cracks after 30 days.
  9. Santowl's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #509  
    Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy999 View Post
    Guys, post how long you have had the Pre before it cracked. I am curious if they are launch day Pre's? Is there a pattern for example do they tend to crack within a day or two or after weeks? If the screen is defective I would hope it would crack right away. It would suck if cracks after 30 days.
    Yeah, that would suck. I got mine on launch day, 14 days later it cracked. No other problems with it.
  10. MoonKS's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #510  
    I got mine on launch day and it cracked without apparent cause exactly 14 days later on June 20th.
  11. #511  
    is there any way people can track these cracked screens to their root.
    what im asking is when the phones are made, are the serial numbers made in sequential order or anything like that, which could identify when it was made or what batch. If so, id be interested to see that would play out.
  12. #512  
    No cracks. Bumped many times.
  13. #513  
    Mine cracked June 19th. A day shy of 2 full weeks. I can't use my launch bar. My screen only responds on the top 1/3rd. I can't access call history or anything. ANNOYING!!! At least the Sprint store I went to is aware of this crack problem and is gonna attempt to replace my phone.

    ronlongo: the crack has nothing to do with bumps. Most people who have a cracked Pre screen didn't bump it against anything. I sure as hell didn't. I took it out of my pocket and slid it out of the case, and I saw 3 baby cracks creeping from the center button area. A few hours later, they crawled up half way across the screen.
  14. #514  
    btw guys, keep in mind that if you use an amex card (or some other cc's as well) to buy the phone, you have accident coverage for the first 60 or 90 days. i've used it with amex before and it's a breeze.
  15. #515  
    I wonder if having an Invisible Shield or other competing 3M protector on the face of the Pre provides any protection against the cracking by reinforcing the plastic a bit.

    I have an IS on mine. So far I have not suffered this unfortunate problem.

    I wish Palm would release some type of acknowledgement regarding this issue and in the same state that the problem causing this cracking has been resolved. It sure sounds like a nightmare for now when this cracking occurs since Palm is not acknowledging a manufacturing problem exists.

    For some reason the plastic being used or the design is just not right. I have an iPhone 3G and my first one developed a crack on the plastic back and the replacement now has one too. For now I just ignore it since I barely use it since I got Pre. I have had so many PDAs and smart phones over the years and until now I had never seen this.
  16. mmorr's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #516  
    I got my Pre on 6/10 and it cracked 6/19. Mine came in the yellow box by the way. Asurion is is sending out a new phone which I should get tomorrow and Sprint is waving the $100.00 fee. It sure would be nice if Sprint or Palm would address this issue and how wide spread it is. Sprint is still acting like they're unaware this is a problem. Weird.
  17. ntamez's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #517  
    Just curious. I don't have a Pre yet but I've been reading these forums to determine when to pull the trigger. I've read how some of these stories say they keep their phone in their pocket, pull it out and notice cracks.

    I had a similar experience with my HTC Touch. I kept the phone in my front pockets and all of a sudden I had this rainbow effect on my screen. After thinking, I determined that I was probably crushing my phone getting in and out of our vehicles. No my pants are not tight but the phone does squeeze up against me when entering/exiting our cars.

    Do you think this might be the cause? I'm really curious because I'm ready to buy but these stories scare the bejeezus out of me.
  18. #518  
    Hey, no cracked screen reports lately! Maybe just a bad batch of screens and all new Pre's are ok?
  19. #519  
    I just got the phone less than a week.
    Bought bodygardz screen protector they give you a set of two screens first attempt I messed up so the second time i made sure I applied it right yet press down the air bubbles fairly well and got it without any air bubble only to turn it on to find a straight line going down the screen toward the right slightly near the middle. So I by a protector only to crack the screen what a waste I should have left the original screen cover when you buy it which I did at first just cut the flap off where you use to peel off. The crack is hard to see when the picture in the back ground is dark but when you say go to message someone it will show. So itís not that bad but I donít believe the screen should crack that easily.
  20. Will9981's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #520  
    Quote Originally Posted by ntamez View Post
    Just curious. I don't have a Pre yet but I've been reading these forums to determine when to pull the trigger. I've read how some of these stories say they keep their phone in their pocket, pull it out and notice cracks.

    I had a similar experience with my HTC Touch. I kept the phone in my front pockets and all of a sudden I had this rainbow effect on my screen. After thinking, I determined that I was probably crushing my phone getting in and out of our vehicles. No my pants are not tight but the phone does squeeze up against me when entering/exiting our cars.

    Do you think this might be the cause? I'm really curious because I'm ready to buy but these stories scare the bejeezus out of me.
    Your phone should not break for being in your pocket. If it occurs the phone sucks, or cheaply made.....the Pre for example.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions