View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    Ack reading this thread makes me more scared everyday my pre will spontaneously combust. I think i might add the 7 dollar insurance to my plan...
    ok, i think my "crack" is actually not a crack. It looks just like fourply's pictures, and I think it matches what bruba was saying it's just where the circuit board ends and light is leaking through. because if i look really hard, i can see almost the entire outline of the bottom of the board as per bruba's picture. i can't see the same thing on the other side, but on the other side i do see the a different "crack" where light leaks through and it's this perfect vertical line. i have to say it's the straightest crack ever or it's the circuit board's outline.

i'm going to let the sprint store guy know my story and maybe he can let others know about this "crack" scenario. i'm sorry for everyone that is having real cracks though. those pictures look terrible. i really hope that if it is widespread, everyone get's a free replacement that's more durable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    I think everyone can accept a certain defect rate as long as they don't get screwed in the process, which is exactly what is happening to some people.
    Totally agree. Palm should inform all stores that some Pre's develop cracks and should be replaced with no charge and with no hassle. They should not have to be on a wait list and should have some Pre's on hand just for customer returns and . They should bend over backwards for the early adopters who are really doing Palm and Sprint a favor by being the first to buy an unproven product.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    how long does asurion take to send the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfevrier View Post
    A couple weeks. Don't let them sucker you into a different model...
  6. cme
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfevrier View Post
    I got my replacement 5 days later.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    all..
    Did your broken PRE have screen protectors?
    Was there a Touchstone installed?
    No screen protector. No Touchstone. Just death touch Someone dispel my curse!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'll throw my story into the mix because it doesn't appear to be quite like everyone else's. I woke up this morning and looked at my phone to check some texts and the phone was fine. Went downstairs and put it on the counter and got ready for work. Put the phone in my pocket and off I went. I arrive at work 15 minutes later and I pull out my phone, and the first thing I notice is not the screen, but a silver looking spot right above the charge port. I, at first, think the paint just chipped off the phone and I immediatly begin swearing in disbelief that this was just like the touch pro, which if anyone remembers when it launched with sprint, had a defect where the paint would chip off extremely easy.

But then I rubbed my finger over the spot and it is a small crack, with a crack the runs up(and by up i mean towards the touch screen) from the charge port to the crack, which is a big enough crack to feel with your finger, and then the crack gets thinner as it heads towards the screen and eventually the crack ceases to be able to be felt. It then apparently runs under the glass/plastic/whatever the top of the touchscreen is made of and onto the screen, which looks like a couple of other people have posted pictures of a single crack running under the screen.

The touchscreen still works all around the crack, but the strange thing is that the crack is leaking light out of it, so you can see color past the black border of the phone. Whats strange is that the leaked color actually stays the same color as what it is supposed to be. So if the screen around the area is blue, then the crack that runs off onto the border is also blue. I can't figure out what happened. I guess I'll go into a sprint store tommorow and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmaine View Post
    A couple weeks. Don't let them sucker you into a different model...

My Pre cracked and I reported it to them on Friday night after their warehouse had closed. They use next-day air, and my phone is due to arrive tomorrow. Asurion offers tracking on the shipment, which is GREAT.

In my experiences, in terms of CS,

SPRINT: 3/10- only help I got was from executives and 1 out of 8-9 CS reps on the phone. no help from anyone in the store.

ASURION: 9/10- claim was accepted within 20 mins of affidavit being faxed to them. next-day air is great, only had to talk to 1 CS rep, and they knew exactly what to do/how to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chargersfan14 View Post
    My Pre cracked and I reported it to them on Friday night after their warehouse had closed. They use next-day air, and my phone is due to arrive tomorrow. Asurion offers tracking on the shipment, which is GREAT.

In my experiences, in terms of CS,

SPRINT: 3/10- only help I got was from executives and 1 out of 8-9 CS reps on the phone. no help from anyone in the store.

ASURION: 9/10- claim was accepted within 20 mins of affidavit being faxed to them. next-day air is great, only had to talk to 1 CS rep, and they knew exactly what to do/how to do it.

Did you have to pay the deductible?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I have to make a decision on whether to purchase the Pre by this Friday or to purchase the iPhone next week. Reason being is I am swithcing jobs and I can get a personal Sprint phone with a 18% discount at my current job. My new employer offers a AT&T discount which I think is around 20%. The cracked screens are making me worry and now I am not sure which phone/plan to go with. I want the Pre but I don't want a cracked screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post
    Did you have to pay the deductible?
    Sprint CS said that I had to pay the deductible, but then to contact them and they would credit my billing account with $100.

this was over the phone btw
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    hello all, sorry for the long time no update on the wife (axlrosie)'s pre crack or light leakage, whatever the case may be - i have been out of town since early yesterday.

after my wife got turned away from the hamilton rd sprint store by alyssa on saturday, i called alyssa (manager on duty, and pre advocate was out of the store) and raised a stink. i explained that this is an issue experienced by more people than just us (mentioning this forum repeatedly and the fact that i would be reporting on my experience with this issue) but she remained steadfast in her assertion that the damage was merely cosmetic and did not impair the function of the device, and that they would not be replacing the phone. she stated that as this was not a "known issue", which she explained as an issue that sprint and palm had agreed to exist, that there was nothing that she could do.

i pointed out that this was not the level of service i had come to expect from this store and that i was exactly the kind of guy that sprint needed to keep happy if this phone is to be a success. i explained that i was seventh in line at launch, and was so pleased with the experience there that i made it a point to call the store the following monday to congratulate them on how the launch was handled. she seemed to start to sympathize a bit, and said she would call the store manager and get his opinion.

she called back within 5 minutes and said that the manager, jean, had agreed with her and was declining to replace the device. she agreed to text me his contact info, as i was driving, and told me when he would be in next (just a few hours later). after jean had arrived at the store, i called him to discuss the issue.

jean was quite willing to listen to me, but was initially quite firm in his assertion that he would not be replacing the device. i asked him whether he would be happy with the level of service he was receiving if he were in my position, and he initially stated that he would, as the damage was merely cosmetic. he stated that several technicians and alyssa had determined that the damage was not through any fault of my wife, but that it was cosmetic and did not interfere with the device functionality, that we should feel lucky to even have the device, as the columbus easton waiting list is between 100-200 people. i repeated my argument that, as an educated and vocal member of the burgeoning pre community, my happiness was key to sprint and palm's continued success. i asked him if he would be happy if he had purchased a new bmw only to find paint bubbling 2 weeks into ownership, and he agreed that he would not. however, he was still reluctant to replace the device, and suggested that we come in after the 30 day period had passed and they would "take care of us". i explained that this was not acceptable, and informed him at that time that i am an attorney and would not hesitate to take sprint to small claims court if it came down to it (love having that degree in my pocket to use as a club when necessary). i also mentioned the possibility of returning both phones and leaving sprint entirely. at this point, jean mentioned the possibility of calling his district manager to see what he thought, but explained that he knew that he would just tell him to replace the device. i agreed, stating that this is what should have happened as soon as my wife walked in the door. he asked to call me back in a few minutes so he could "run it by" the district manager (keep in mind, this is a saturday afternoon). the total phone call took in excess of 18 minutes. both jean and i remained calm during the entire exchange and it was, by and large, a pleasant conversation even though we were arguing from entirely different positions.

jean called me back within 4 minutes and told me what i knew he would - that the district manager told him to replace my wife's phone. he apologized for wasting my time and asked when we could schedule a time for him to personally meet with my wife and i to get the phone exchanged. unfortunately, i was out of town and my wife was at work until almost midnight, so tomorrow will be the earliest opportunity we both have to go in and get it done.

so.... the story has a happy ending, but it took one trip to the sprint store so far, my wife axlrosie getting quite upset, a 5 minute call to the sprint store to talk with alyssa, a three minute return call from her, an 18 minute phone call to jean, a brief followup call with him, a sprint district manager's involvement on a saturday afternoon, and another trip to the sprint store tomorrow. you can draw your own conclusions from that.

tl, dr.
    Not exactly sure what happened here since I replied to this thread but it never showed up for whatever reason.

long time member at buzzaboutwireless.com had my screen crack tonight.

000_0062.jpg picture by montanaxvi - Photobucket

000_0065.jpg picture by montanaxvi - Photobucket

000_0066.jpg picture by montanaxvi - Photobucket

I had my phone in the fabric sleeve that comes with the phone, it was in the front pocket of baggy cargo shorts and I was sitting in a movie for two hours. When I turned the phone on after the movie was over I noticed the battery was dying, got home to plug it in and the screen wouldn't respond to touch, then when the screen went dark I noticed the cracks running up the front of the phone.

Not sure if I have any replacement or repair options since I was part of a selected group of people chosen by Sprint to get the phone and 3 months of service to report any problems or issues as well as letting others know what we thought of the phone. No idea if they will issue a new one or not until I can speak with someone either in charge of the program or up in corporate tomorrow.

Had my BB Curve in my other front pocket as usual, and as usual no problems. Had planned on the wife keeping this phone at the end of the three months to replace her 8830 World Edition BB and buying on for myself to replace my Curve but after seeing this thread I may be sticking with RIM. Who knows at this point though, but it isn't looking good for Palm if putting this in my pocket and watching a movie just destroys the phone.
    From most accounts I have read Sprint is taking a hard line approach to the cracked screens and they are, despite erroneous reports to the contrary, refusing to do even exchanges.

The Palm Pre apparently has some very significant issues and I encourage one and all to write Walt Mossberg at the Wall Street Journal with their stories. I also encourage you to contact other reporters with your stories about the Palm Pre.
    Another reporter to contact is David Pogue of the New York Times, his e-mail is pogue at nytimes.com
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Well my screen cracked also. I had it in the lower leg pocket of my shorts yesterday while I was helping a friend move. I got a message, pulled the phone out, and saw it was cracked. At first the screen worked, just long enough for me to unlock it. Then nothing. I figured I hit it on something while moving stuff, but don't remember doing so. I went to the Sprint store to exchange it and the guy told me I had to use the insurance for a damaged phone. I didn't even think it may be a defect because of the moving.

I went online later in the afternoon to process the claim and they told me to call in for more information. I pulled the battery out to find the SN for the phone, and when I put it back in the phone did not start up. I had to go to my parents house to call TEP number, and they wanted me to fax additional info. After that was done I went home and plugged it into my computer and the phone started up again! That's when I found this forum and the one on the Palm site.

I've attached some pics for those who are doubting (opps, I don't have 10 posts yet!), and to hopefully prove this is a defect. They look like they start from the same place as most of the others. There is no other damage to the phone, and I CAN feel the cracks with the tip of my finger or nail. I bought it the day it was released and haven't had any other problems. I don't use a Touchstone and I haven't dropped it. I usually carry it in my front pocket of my jeans and they are not tight! I only put it in the pouch in my pocket if there are keys or change in the pocket also. I don't keep track of which way it faces in my pocket or how I open it. I'm sure it's many different ways depending on the situation. I can't get to the date code info, and I forgot the rest of the info that was requested.

Maybe the best way to get Palm and Sprint to get the ball rolling on this would be to post an article over at The Consumerist dot com
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyFL View Post
    Another reporter to contact is David Pogue of the New York Times, his e-mail is pogue at nytimes.com

Who are these Mossberg and Pogue characters?
    Quote Originally Posted by fourply View Post
    hello all, sorry for the long time no update on the wife (axlrosie)'s pre crack or light leakage, whatever the case may be - i have been out of town since early yesterday.

after my wife got turned away from the hamilton rd sprint store by alyssa on saturday, i called alyssa (manager on duty, and pre advocate was out of the store) and raised a stink. i explained that this is an issue experienced by more people than just us (mentioning this forum repeatedly and the fact that i would be reporting on my experience with this issue) but she remained steadfast in her assertion that the damage was merely cosmetic and did not impair the function of the device, and that they would not be replacing the phone. she stated that as this was not a "known issue", which she explained as an issue that sprint and palm had agreed to exist, that there was nothing that she could do.

i pointed out that this was not the level of service i had come to expect from this store and that i was exactly the kind of guy that sprint needed to keep happy if this phone is to be a success. i explained that i was seventh in line at launch, and was so pleased with the experience there that i made it a point to call the store the following monday to congratulate them on how the launch was handled. she seemed to start to sympathize a bit, and said she would call the store manager and get his opinion.

she called back within 5 minutes and said that the manager, jean, had agreed with her and was declining to replace the device. she agreed to text me his contact info, as i was driving, and told me when he would be in next (just a few hours later). after jean had arrived at the store, i called him to discuss the issue.

jean was quite willing to listen to me, but was initially quite firm in his assertion that he would not be replacing the device. i asked him whether he would be happy with the level of service he was receiving if he were in my position, and he initially stated that he would, as the damage was merely cosmetic. he stated that several technicians and alyssa had determined that the damage was not through any fault of my wife, but that it was cosmetic and did not interfere with the device functionality, that we should feel lucky to even have the device, as the columbus easton waiting list is between 100-200 people. i repeated my argument that, as an educated and vocal member of the burgeoning pre community, my happiness was key to sprint and palm's continued success. i asked him if he would be happy if he had purchased a new bmw only to find paint bubbling 2 weeks into ownership, and he agreed that he would not. however, he was still reluctant to replace the device, and suggested that we come in after the 30 day period had passed and they would "take care of us". i explained that this was not acceptable, and informed him at that time that i am an attorney and would not hesitate to take sprint to small claims court if it came down to it (love having that degree in my pocket to use as a club when necessary). i also mentioned the possibility of returning both phones and leaving sprint entirely. at this point, jean mentioned the possibility of calling his district manager to see what he thought, but explained that he knew that he would just tell him to replace the device. i agreed, stating that this is what should have happened as soon as my wife walked in the door. he asked to call me back in a few minutes so he could "run it by" the district manager (keep in mind, this is a saturday afternoon). the total phone call took in excess of 18 minutes. both jean and i remained calm during the entire exchange and it was, by and large, a pleasant conversation even though we were arguing from entirely different positions.

jean called me back within 4 minutes and told me what i knew he would - that the district manager told him to replace my wife's phone. he apologized for wasting my time and asked when we could schedule a time for him to personally meet with my wife and i to get the phone exchanged. unfortunately, i was out of town and my wife was at work until almost midnight, so tomorrow will be the earliest opportunity we both have to go in and get it done.

so.... the story has a happy ending, but it took one trip to the sprint store so far, my wife axlrosie getting quite upset, a 5 minute call to the sprint store to talk with alyssa, a three minute return call from her, an 18 minute phone call to jean, a brief followup call with him, a sprint district manager's involvement on a saturday afternoon, and another trip to the sprint store tomorrow. you can draw your own conclusions from that.

tl, dr.
    congrats, good thing you were persistent.

it's alllllllll about the money

hopefully your story can help those in the same position