View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    The screen on my Pre cracked yesterday. The phone was not dropped or abused in any way. The cracks are identical to the pictures I've seen on precentral.net. This is definitely a defect. I went to the Sprint Store where I got the phone and was told they had no knowledge of this problem. I called tech support and was told the same thing. This problem is being covered up and I'm pissed! They told me I could get it replaced through insurance and would wave the $100.00 charge. When I was transferred to the Insurance folks I was told I had to download an affidavit, fill it out and fax it back then someone would contact me in several days and maybe send me a replacement phone. If this is how Palm and Sprint are going to stand behind their products I think everyone needs to be very wary of giving them your business. It really is the Twilight Zone.
    complain to BBB or get together with a lawyer maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorr View Post
    I went to the Sprint Store where I got the phone and was told they had no knowledge of this problem. I called tech support and was told the same thing. This problem is being covered up and I'm pissed!
    Why don't you try to help uncover the problem with proof. Anyone can say they have cracks (I bet alot of iphone fanboys who don't even own a Pre post that they have cracks here!). I take every post with a grain of salt. Prove it with pics.
    Attached photo of my pre.
    Because of the black face on the device, it is very hard to photograph.
    But you can clearly see many small cracks starting in the area near the button.

Hairline cracks, which are hard to see, extend way up to the middle, to top of screen.

I used the leather case at all times, and can't remember ever bumping into anything, and I NEVER dropped the device.

I got the run around from my local sprint store, just saying that I should make an insurance claim, or should contact palm.

They say that Palm has to admit a design defect, or I will have to pay the insurance deductible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Funny thing I was reading a palm thread on another forum (SA for all my fellow goons) and one of users just got a cracked screen from apparently nothing as well. I have never heard of so many screen failures in any of the previous phones I've bought and its starting to be alarming. I may considering returning my Pre since Im already having trouble getting a 2nd exchange from my local stores due to dead pixels. Its funny too because apparently they gave me a returned Pre for my cracked Pre and forgot to erase the last users info. He probably exchange it for the dead pixels since it was completely fine in all other aspects. Why even bother recirculating defective stock..bleh Im getting frustrated with my local sprint stores.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Here are the photos-Talk about Fanboys-I really love this phone but this sceen cracking issue is real and Palm-Sprint- and everyone who is burying their head in the sands wishes it would just go away.

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00005.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSteveJobs View Post
    I'm sorry but if you can't open a slider phone from the bottom without cracking the screen, then either it is made with subpar materials or it is not the best possible design.
    One thing I tried was Sprint's recommend method of opening the slider using your thumb towards the center of the screen.

I was surprised how much easier it opened, definitely easier that pushing up from the bottom. Now, if I can just convince myself to keep doing it that way.

Here are the photos-Talk about Fanboys-I really love this phone but this sceen cracking issue is real and Palm-Sprint- and everyone who is burying their head in the sands wishes it would just go away.

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00005.JPG
    Those are perfect examples of the cracks starting at the button and going upwards and Palm needs to see them.

If you don't mind, please post them on the official Palm forum also. It will be interesting to see if the pics remain or get deleted.

Palm Support Forums - Palm Support Forums

What I find interesting is there are NO cracked screen posts on the official Palm forum, at least I couldn't find any. Either people aren't posting them there or they are being deleted (paranoid mode off.)
    Last edited by Trekker; 06/21/2009 at 06:00 AM.
    My phone developed the internal LCD screen cracks 4 days into ownership and the phone was never abused or dropped and it was actually babied. Sprint and Palm are both in denial despite the growing problem and Sprintt's customer service is just plain out terrible. The phone has been seen by Sprint's representatives and even a Palm representative who admitted that the phone was in pristine new condition without any other marks or scratches. The cracks all radiate out from the center command button and that button was never pushed hard and I have small hands.

It is clearly a design, material or manufacturing defect.

I suggest that all of you e-mail Walter Mossberg at the Wall Street Journal with the problem.You can get his address is walt(at symbol)allthingsd (dot) com. Sorry that's the only way I can post his e-mail but you can also get it at his website allthingsd.com

Palm and Sprint have a problem but the bigger story is their denial of a problem and the terrible customer care.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyFL View Post
    My phone developed the internal LCD screen cracks 4 days into ownership and the phone was never abused or dropped and it was actually babied. Sprint and Palm are both in denial despite the growing problem and Sprintt's customer service is just plain out terrible. The phone has been seen by Sprint's representatives and even a Palm representative who admitted that the phone was in pristine new condition without any other marks or scratches. The cracks all radiate out from the center command button and that button was never pushed hard and I have small hands.

It is clearly a design, material or manufacturing defect.

I suggest that all of you e-mail Walter Mossberg at the Wall Street Journal with the problem.You can get his address is walt(at symbol)allthingsd (dot) com. Sorry that's the only way I can post his e-mail but you can also get it at his website allthingsd.com

Palm and Sprint have a problem but the bigger story is their denial of a problem and the terrible customer care.
    Heck of a first post. Please post pics of your damaged phone so we know you're not a troll.

Emailing America's biggest Apple shill will get you nowhere. If you can't get the phone exchanged by going through the proper channels then I suggest you post at BAW where you will for sure be contacted by a Sprint representative. I find it surprising this subject hasn't been brought up hardly at all over there, that would be the first place I would go if it happened to me.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    If you have experienced a cracked screen please register with Palms forums and report it here:

Palm Pre Screen Cracked - Palm Support Forums

The fuller the thread gets, the quicker we will see a response.

Palm, I know you're busy trying to get more Pre's produced but please hurry up and sort this out!
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
  12.    #472  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    What I find interesting is there are NO cracked screen posts on the official Palm forum, at least I couldn't find any. Either people aren't posting them there or they are being deleted (paranoid mode off.)
    Yes, there is a thread there - it's been there since 6/7 I think:

Palm Pre Screen Cracked - webOS Hardware - Palm Support Forums

Funny thing about that thread - no one from Palm has replied even once. In most of the other threads, someone from Palm replies to the people - but not in this one. I'm sure they have read it...
  13.    #473  
    I wonder how many claims Assurion has processed for cracked screens. I would think at some point it will be a problem for them, as they are not going to want to keep replacing these phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    I wonder how many claims Assurion has processed for cracked screens. I would think at some point it will be a problem for them, as they are not going to want to keep replacing these phones.
    3rd party equipment insurers that I have dealt with cancel the insurance when the failure rate goes above 5%. Sooner or later there has to be a failure rate number for the TEP program ...10%...20%...???
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyFL View Post

That is a great idea. If a respected journalist like Mossberg brings up this problem maybe Palm and Sprint will take notice. An occasional manufacturing defect happens and that is understandable, but to hassle customers about returning a defective unit is just unacceptable. Hopefully Palm has already investigated the source of this defect and is ensuring that new units do not crack. If they don't make a statement we will just have to wait and see if reports of cracked screens stop or keep trickling in.

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00005.JPG
    Sorry dude. Hope you get a good Pre.
    Yes, there is a thread there - it's been there since 6/7 I think:

Palm Pre Screen Cracked - webOS Hardware - Palm Support Forums

I guess I'm blind. Heck maybe my screen is cracked and I don't even know it!

Funny thing about that thread - no one from Palm has replied even once. In most of the other threads, someone from Palm replies to the people - but not in this one. I'm sure they have read it...
    It's part of their denial/ignore/hope it goes away policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post

It's part of their denial/ignore/hope it goes away policy.
    Getting a defective Pre sucks but I still think it is just a bad batch of screens. If 1,000 out of 100,000 Pre's sold have bad screens that is a normal and acceptable defect rate. We are only two weeks in I am still going to give Palm the benefit of the doubt unless these reports keep trickling in over the next couple weeks. I am a little concerned and am watching this very carefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy999 View Post
    Getting a defective Pre sucks but I still think it is just a bad batch of screens.
    Or it could have been a manufacturing process. Some assembler came in with a hangover or overtorqued/overstressed something during assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy999 View Post
    If 1,000 out of 100,000 Pre's sold have bad screens that is a normal and acceptable defect rate.
    It's NOT acceptable to those that have them and can't get them replaced without paying.

I think everyone can accept a certain defect rate as long as they don't get screwed in the process, which is exactly what is happening to some people.
    I had mine less than 24 hours. No dropping it either. Crack seems to come from I guess too much intensity of pressure from my finger??? I did have it in a slightly hot car (94 degrees outside) for a couple of hours before this developed. I'm wondering if heat exacerbates this cracking scenario.
    Hope I can get another one soon. I had no idea all my itunes would automatically sync. Sound is INCREDIBLE. My wife says its better than her iphone - the sound of the music that is.