View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    My screen cracked also.. looks exactly like the pic in the 1st post.. i called to complain about the $100 fee and the fact that my Sprint store told me that i would have to buy another phone (for a loaner) and that i would be added to the bottom of the stores waiting list for a replacement Pre ( over 30 days wait list)...

Sprint CS credited my the $100 fee and apologized for any problems... Nice !
    so calling them and complaining actually works huh? they didn't try to make a point about how its physical damage and that its clearly written that physical damage has $100 deductible?
    this is all so disappointing. i was really looking forward to getting one of these.. i guess its an iphone for me now.
    i still wouldn't want an iphone considering what i've gotten used to. if anything, i think i'd just go back to paying $40 a month for regular voice and no data.

i mean, i've gotten used to the multi tasking of the phone and that can't be beat. love using pandora, texting, web surfing, and emailing without having to shut anything down. also, i'm too used to paying only $70 including unlimited text. don't want to pay $90 at att for that.
    Last edited by sambao21; 06/20/2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: elaborate
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Hi All,

No one baby's their phone more than I do. I have never had a broken cell phone - or a broken MP3 player, camera, etc. I am very careful.

I was first in line (slept out overnight) to get the Pre on June 6th. I have been LOVING my Pre ever since. I have a Zagg InvisibleSHIELD on her (tried myself then had it done at Kiosk at an airport and it looks great!). I have been carrying it in a Zagg microfiber pouch in my front pocket (loose fitting pants) with the screen facing my leg.

Today I was just sitting there at a picnic table - I had used my phone 5 minutes before - I heard the text chime and when I pulled it out of my pocket I could not unlock it - the screen was unresponsive - then it caught my eye - cracks radiating out from the button on the bottom...insane!!!!

I have attached a picture - this is just insane. I can't believe how this cracked - with no apparent jarring or bumping. I am on vacation and out of state - but I can no longer read or respond to text messages as I do not see a way to get to the text message screen without the touch screen.

I do have TEP - so hopefully after throwing $100 into the wind I will get it replaced next week. I think they need to do something about the design and construction. I was sure this could never happen to me - but it seems like the screen has issues with fragility where the button is located as I am reading about this exact same thing with nearly every cracked screen. Did they not test this in R&D?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Please state how you open your phone and what case you are using when these cracks occur, I have a hunch that these are steaming from the fact that people push around the button to open the phone. Which is the WRONG way to open it.

If you do open it by touching in this area, please state how many times you have opened the slider (it should be listed somewhere in your phone)
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I open it by gripping the sides of the front slider with my thumb and forefinger - so this rules out the front being pushed as the cause.

I think it is a design/manufacturing defect. The stories are too numerous and similar for this to be a case of neglect, abuse or misuse.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Just use the case it came with.
    I mean, it can be a 5 second hassle, but the case it comes with protects it in your pocket....
    BUZZ - Incorrect. The case does not prevent this at all.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fourply View Post
    ok, i guess it only wouldn't show up on the pre camera. the good camera, no problem.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/t...h/DSC01831.jpg

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/t...h/DSC01825.jpg

certainly not the worst cracks i have seen in this thread, but still a big deal to my wife... and still a clear indication (to me, at least) of a serious problem with this device.
    I have it as well. I think this is where the touch screen ends or something. I think there's just a little bit of paint missing (on both sides). I only notice it in the dark.

Are you guys going back? Mine has a small dust spot/air bubble in the screen as well. But I bought it a RadioShack.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    so calling them and complaining actually works huh? they didn't try to make a point about how its physical damage and that its clearly written that physical damage has $100 deductible?
    Nope not at all... i did tell him that if this situation was not fixed i was going to pay my penalty and leave to Verizon where they have a buy one get one free black berry sale...
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    I have it as well. I think this is where the touch screen ends or something. I think there's just a little bit of paint missing (on both sides). I only notice it in the dark.

Are you guys going back? Mine has a small dust spot/air bubble in the screen as well. But I bought it a RadioShack.
    ahhh, so you don't think it's a crack correct?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    ahhh, so you don't think it's a crack correct?
    Correct, definitely seems like light leakage through a poorly painted part of the phone. Possibly because of the touchscreen, since I have it on both sides.

I think when I go back to the shop they'll say they can't see it, because it's only visible in the dark.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Ok, here's some proof to my theory.. Check out the part on the upper right:

http://www.rapidrepair.com/guides/Pa...complete-1.jpg

Exactly the same shape at the same place.

Like this: \_____________/
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    You know, I've been extremely careful with this phone. I honestly don't understand how is cracked, as I've treated it like my newborn baby. I've never broken a phone - ever - and I've had one for at least 15 years.

It is obviously my fault, I have no doubt. Like I said above, when I took it out of my pocket and the supplied case, and noticed the cracks, I was sitting in a chair that had wrought iron arms - and my leg was probably pressing against it on the side. I'm pretty sure I wasn't "sitting" on the phone. That is the only thing I can think of.

So, is it fragile? I don't know. But again, I can think of nothing "severe" that I did to cause the damage.
    If you took out the insurance on the phone I think it will cover a replacement unit. And my guess is the screen was pressing hard against something it shouldn't have been, that's the only plausable explanation. I've also been using mine in my pocket in the soft case with no problems, but I do often take it out when i'm sitting to avoid problems like yours. I do plan on purchasing a sidewase case for better protection and I've got the insurance plan, at lease for now.

i sure hope it's paint missing, that would totally be fine by me. the sprint store told me to bring it in and they'll evaluate whether it's a manufacturing defect and replace it. the thing is, i dont really want to replace it because i already have my bodyguardz on, and everything else about the phone is perfect. i have no slider issues, no dead pixels, nothing else wrong.

so i'm just going to be extra careful and hopefully it doesn't get worse. i really just want sprint to know about it so that if it does get worse, i won't get hit with $100 penalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bebo77 View Post
    Nope not at all... i did tell him that if this situation was not fixed i was going to pay my penalty and leave to Verizon where they have a buy one get one free black berry sale...
    wow, what a tactic. i'll have to bust this out someday
    Ok, here's some proof to my theory.. Check out the part on the upper right:

http://www.rapidrepair.com/guides/Pa...complete-1.jpg

Exactly the same shape at the same place.

Like this: \_____________/
    what are we looking for?

i think i see what you're talking about. i'll have to take a look at the other side to see if i can see a leak when my wife gets home with the phone.
    Last edited by sambao21; 06/20/2009 at 09:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I cannot stress enough that everyone who has this problem should take pictures of the cracks and put them up here if possible. If enough pics of what appear to be near identical crack formation start to appear it may become obvious that this is a specific defect in the design or assembly of the phone, and NOT "physical damage" caused by the user...
    I'm sorry but if you can't open a slider phone from the bottom without cracking the screen, then either it is made with subpar materials or it is not the best possible design.

Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    Please state how you open your phone and what case you are using when these cracks occur, I have a hunch that these are steaming from the fact that people push around the button to open the phone. Which is the WRONG way to open it.

If you do open it by touching in this area, please state how many times you have opened the slider (it should be listed somewhere in your phone)
    lol, yeah that is def a fake steve jobs. he's chubby.