View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
    You guys need to post pics! Anyone can post that they have a cracked screen but posting pics of cracked screens is PROOF that is hard to refute. If the stores question this is happening you can just send them to this forum and show them all the pics of cracked screens. "A picture is worth a thousand words".
    I wonder if the TouchStone is baking these poor phones and causing the problems.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I dont have a touch stone....
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    There are many posts about cracked screen on the PRE. I would like to know how many people have actually suffered this issue.

Please only vote once - the idea is to get some real numbers on this problem.

Besides the poll answer, please provide information on how long you have had it and how you carry it. Things that would be valuable to know are:
    1) Do you carry the PRE in the Palm case (or similar)?
    2) Do you carry the PRE in your pocket?
    3) How long have you had the PRE before it cracked?
    4) Did the crack seem to start at the button?
    5) Did you notice any bubbles or discolorations in the screen before it cracked?
    my husband (username: fourply) posted pics of my cracked screen and that i was going to go to the sprint store this morning to see what could be done.

i checked in and while i was waiting, a palm rep was there and we talked about the phone and the issue i came in for. i told him i love the phone but was not pleased about this. he said that he has heard of no similar issues and i told him about this forum and the palm forum. he said he was going to call his boss and make him aware. he called someone. who knows what the conversation entailed, he never got back to me.

i met with alyssa, the manager on duty, and was told that it was a cosmetic issue and they were not going to exchange out the phone for such issue. i explained that i didn't believe it to be cosmetic when the phone is clearly coming apart, allowing light to come through the crack. she claimed that this was the first she has heard of this being an issue and i told her about the forums and said that this was not an individual issue. i repeatedly expressed my concerns about owning this phone for only 2 weeks and that i am not happy with the fact that it is coming apart. she kept saying that it is such a minute (she used minute way too many times in our conversation; it drove me crazy!) issue and that there is nothing that they can do. so, i left, very upset with the phone i walked in with.

i called my husband after leaving the store and he called the store and spoke with alyssa. she told him the same things and he also expressed his concerns and made sure that she knew that he was not happy with the level of service we were receiving from that location. she then said she was going to call her boss and would call him back soon. she did call him back after speaking with her boss. she said that her boss would be in later in the day and david, my husband, could call to speak with him directly. she texted his phone number to my husband so he can call him.

so...to be continued...
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Just use the case it came with.
    I mean, it can be a 5 second hassle, but the case it comes with protects it in your pocket....
    Quote Originally Posted by axlrosie View Post
    ...so...to be continued...
    Jeez, if they don't replace it, I would return the phone and cancel the line. Let us know what happens.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Just use the case it came with.
    I mean, it can be a 5 second hassle, but the case it comes with protects it in your pocket....
    Unfortunately, it seems most of the people that have a cracked screen and carry the Pre in their front pocket actually DO use the slipcase.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I am ordering my Pre next week and I went into my local Sprint store to play with it for the time. The Sprint CS lady was very nice and let me use her own phone instead of the stupid demo one. (She was pretty hot too!)

Anyway I asked her a bunch of questions, one was if she had sen any cracked screens and she told me no. I told her there were people reporting problems with the screen cracking on websites and she said it was the first she heard of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dacsoft View Post
    I don't think it allows you to vote more than once. Question...is the vote able to be changed? If I vote no today and my screen cracks tomorrow, can I change it? I know some of the newer forums allow changes to polls.
    My screen cracked. Before it started cracking, bizarre things started happening. Things would randomly open that weren't even on the launch bar. Like, I'd see my phone showing a picture even though I never touched the phone. Then I pull it out of the case yesterday after having it in my pocket (which was really lose and had nothing else in it, and I bumped into nothing), and I noticed 3 cracks crawling from the bottom starting from the center button. I have now lost the ability to touch anything below the first half of the screen. My Palm is nearly unusable. There's DEFINITELY a defect in the hardware. Mainly where the screen connects to the gesture area.
    Quote Originally Posted by dacsoft View Post
    There are many posts about cracked screen on the PRE. I would like to know how many people have actually suffered this issue.

Besides the poll answer, please provide information on how long you have had it and how you carry it. Things that would be valuable to know are:
    1) Do you carry the PRE in the Palm case (or similar)?
    2) Do you carry the PRE in your pocket?
    3) How long have you had the PRE before it cracked?
    4) Did the crack seem to start at the button?
    5) Did you notice any bubbles or discolorations in the screen before it cracked?
    1. No
    2. I did one day, I have a separate pocket in cargo pants I store cell phones in. I've had my iPhone, Treos, Windows Mobile phones, etc. all go through that pocket and never come out broken.
    3. I had my pre 2 days.
    4. The crack started at the button and spidered out
    5. There was some gold dust stuff under the screen inside the layers but to my knowledge it was otherwise normal-looking

Update on my tales of woe. I went to the Sprint store in Boulder, the manager practically yelled at me and told me that they won't be replacing it because it is physical damage. He seemed to have way too much fun telling me I was screwed. I asked him if he could look online and check the forums, etc. and he said "look we can go round and round about this all day but I'm not replacing it and you'll just get mad."

I called Sprint Care, the rep claimed he had never heard of this issue (pre being so new, it is entirely possible) - he said he'd look into it and called me back a few hours later. The Sprint rep told me that I needed to get a "Second opinion" on the screen break and recommended I went down to the Sprint store in northern Denver, an hour's drive from where I was. So I figured I'd play along and hope at some point they became reasonable. Regardless of how it happened, even if it was some intentional idiotic thing and not a defect in a few units, it was 2 days into ownership and keeping a new customer happy should be more important to these stores than getting their jollies off by getting to tell someone they're screwed.

The store in northern Denver was more friendly, the employees were courteous, but the end result of that trip, they said again they wouldn't replace the phone, and recommended I filed an Asurion claim for $120 to get a replacement.

I have now had a broken Pre since Wednesday. I have driven about 100 miles to various Sprint stores, spent about 3 hours on the phone, sent and received dozens of emails with Sprint support, and they continue to refuse to help me. At this point I really want to just be done with the Pre and Sprint because Sprint has totally ruined my user experience, but I can't even do that because I really doubt the stores will accept the Pre as a return with a darn cracked screen! I go on a trip next Thursday and it is really looking like I'm not going to have a phone before the trip.

I am so frustrated. Sprint is a horrible company and I feel bad that Palm has to deal with the aftermath of partnering with the worst wireless provider in the industry. (You'd think Sprint would figure out something's wrong after hemorrhaging 700,0000 customers last quarter.)

Sigh.

Thank you Sprint for a nightmare.
    who all got a crack and was able to get a free replacement?

i have a small crack, only visible when the screen is on because light leaks through, but i'm worried it may get bigger. Called sprint store and they said that cracks typically occurr when it's been dropped, and thus would not be a free replacement. we haven't dropped my phone nor wear it in pocket. always in the wife's purse in the pouch, until just this week when i put on bodyguardz screen protector. didn't notice anything when i put on the bodyguardz, but i wasn't looking for anything either.
    For everyone having problems with Sprint replacing the phone, I was all having the same issue until Customer Service transferred me to some management department that notated my acct. Regular customer service and their supervisors do not have any levy over the stores. This manager was able to override the stores and he also gave me credit for my downtime (1 week). They WILL replace the phone you just have to get the notes history on your account.
    Quote Originally Posted by slidez View Post
    For everyone having problems with Sprint replacing the phone, I was all having the same issue until Customer Service transferred me to some management department that notated my acct. Regular customer service and their supervisors do not have any levy over the stores. This manager was able to override the stores and he also gave me credit for my downtime (1 week). They WILL replace the phone you just have to get the notes history on your account.
    Do you have any specifics on how to get to this magical department? I'm really running out of steam on this and I am tired of all the time and money wasted but I'm willing to give it another phone call.
    A crack showed up this morning on the left bottom corner. It's visible at a certain angle so I may have missed it before. Light leaks through it.

This past week I also experienced my first slider related crash and have began noticing a few dead pixels.

I have not transferred my number yet as I've decided to fully evaluate the phone for 30 days, and have kept my G1. I really babied it, handled it gently, carried in the pouch, never dropped it. I do carry in my front pocket as I have every phone I had in the past.

I'm a long time Palm guy and want to support the company, but realistically, even if I get a replacement, and two weeks after problems start again, I'll be over the 30 day window and stuck with problems that may or may not be covered by warranty.

Sadly, as much as I like this phone, I really think it's brilliant, it's going back.

I'll wait for a more solid product or indications that defects have been addressed. Too bad really.
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Here's a little story of what happened yesterday that made me nearly s*** my pants:

I came home from work and was really tired so I decided to take a nap. I set my pre down on my night stand and went to sleep. When i woke up I went to get a glass of water and as I returned to my room I saw something on the floor that had the same outline as my pre. At first I thought I had dropped my case, but as I got closer I realized it was my Pre! It was face down and as I bent over to pick it up all these images of a cracked screen were racing through my head. I picked it up and turned it over and to my relief the screen was fine, not even a scratch on it.

Now I may have been lucky but it also was by no means a small drop. My night stand is about 3 feet tall and my pre was about 6-8 feet away from my nightstand. What I think happend was that I somehow swatted my Pre off my nightstand as I was sleeping. And since i have hardwood floor when it hit the floor it slid a little bit.

Seems to me that the Pre is pretty resilient. Oh and in case you were wondering my pre had 1.0.1 installed on it when I got it (whatever box color that is), and I use a touchstone charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    A crack showed up this morning on the left bottom corner. It's visible at a certain angle so I may have missed it before. Light leaks through it.
    same here. so small, yet light leaking out in a dark room is the only way i could tell anythings there.

wonder if some are just built this way, and it's so small that they figure no one will notice or care, but the some are webbing out and creating bigger cracks.
    Yeah, it might be those screen corner light leaks reported earlier.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by fourply View Post
    ok, i guess it only wouldn't show up on the pre camera. the good camera, no problem.

certainly not the worst cracks i have seen in this thread, but still a big deal to my wife... and still a clear indication (to me, at least) of a serious problem with this device.
    this is EXACTLY like what i've got. EXACT look and feel, and angle, and behavior. Like it was designed this way.