View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy999 View Post
    Out of 50,000-100,000 Pre's sold even if 500-1,000 cracked that would be a normal 1%-2% defect rate. But since it has only been out two weeks maybe more screens will crack a couple of months down the road. Two weeks in it doesn't seem like a widespread defect.
    We don't have a clue how many "cracked" screens are out there. People seem to think that everyone with a problem will immediately seek out these forums and post about it. It doesn't work that way.

There are just enough posts to have me worried about it...and they keep trickling in.

If there are just a small percentage, Palm/Sprint will probably just say "tough ****" to those that have the defects. If it's a larger percent that keeps growing then at some point they will have to do something about it.

I'm just wondering if anyone has cracked their screen by using Palms recommended method of opening the slider from the center of the screen as opposed to those of us that have been sliding up from the bottom, near the button and co-incidentally where the cracks are starting from.

As of now, I'm gripping the sides and sliding it up that way. Kind of awkward but too paranoid to try pushing from the center.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    or should i say my friend cracked it. so we were walking home and were about to part ways.i had my phone in my hand and reached it out to him in order to get my basketball which he had. he then slapped my hand, thinking i was trying to give him a goodbye gesture. Phone hit the floor, crack, unresponsive screen. i have tep but dont wanna pay the deductible right now, any loopholes? btw pics coming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfevrier View Post
    or should i say my friend cracked it. so we were walking home and were about to part ways.i had my phone in my hand and reached it out to him in order to get my basketball which he had. he then slapped my hand, thinking i was trying to give him a goodbye gesture. Phone hit the floor, crack, unresponsive screen. i have tep but dont wanna pay the deductible right now, any loopholes? btw pics coming soon.
    Um, yeah you could break into a store at night and steal one.....*sorry for you loss, but your gonna have to pony up the scratch because of physical damage.*
  4. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    sorry to hear than man but if you dropped it and cracked the screen you'll be payin the hundo deductable for physical damage
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Yeah, you'll be paying the deductible unless you can convince them it spontaneously cracked on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    sorry to hear than man but if you dropped it and cracked the screen you'll be payin the hundo deductable for physical damage
    off topic but what would it take to get you to thank someone?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfevrier View Post
    Sorry to hear your misfortune.
    Hope things work out.

I went ahead and merged your thread with this one.
    Not that we don't empathize, but because PreC members have been begging Staff to try and keep things more organized.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-unusable.html

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    this is so stupid.....my friend is such a ******....
    so my pre broke in my pocket the other day as well, has anybody tried to talk with palm about a possible solution or recall, etc.
    just called customer service, they said that sprint is tracking the problem and needs more examples of it so if you haven't called CS yet you should and report the problem.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Everyone please call cs
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    my wife noticed a small crack under the surface of her babied pre this evening... she is planning on taking it to the sprint store tomorrow to try to get it replaced.

i love this phone, and it was easy to discount these reports as people who weren't taking good care of their stuff until now. i know for a fact that hers has been in the pouch nearly constantly for 2 weeks (except when in use) and in a gigantic purse the other times - no reason at all it should be cracked.

we will see how i feel about it after the attempted resolution tomorrow.... but i gotta say, i'm pretty disappointed. talk about a bad build...
    Quote Originally Posted by fourply View Post
    my wife noticed a small crack under the surface of her babied pre this evening... she is planning on taking it to the sprint store tomorrow to try to get it replaced.

i love this phone, and it was easy to discount these reports as people who weren't taking good care of their stuff until now. i know for a fact that hers has been in the pouch nearly constantly for 2 weeks (except when in use) and in a gigantic purse the other times - no reason at all it should be cracked.

we will see how i feel about it after the attempted resolution tomorrow.... but i gotta say, i'm pretty disappointed. talk about a bad build...
    Can you post a picture?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Can you post a picture?
    it's a teeny tiny crack that can only be seen when the backlight is on, on the left side of the gesture area running diagonally approx. 1/4" to the left edge of the device and up vertically about another 1/4". doubt a pic would show it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fourply View Post
    it's a teeny tiny crack that can only be seen when the backlight is on, on the left side of the gesture area running diagonally approx. 1/4" to the left edge of the device and up vertically about another 1/4". doubt a pic would show it.
    OK thanks!
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    ok, i guess it only wouldn't show up on the pre camera. the good camera, no problem.

certainly not the worst cracks i have seen in this thread, but still a big deal to my wife... and still a clear indication (to me, at least) of a serious problem with this device.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Well unlike the people I have read about by dropping there phone, or having it break in their pokets, try my f-en experince and being called a liar. F *** sprint Corprate, I am glad I work for a third party store.

If my claim is rejected, I am taking sprint to court, no joke. So look for the news paper clippings!
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    they should jus replace theese poor built phones.
    Add me to the list now too! I was playing in a golf tournament today in St. Louis.

Had the phone in the leather holster. Took it out to check mail and noticed a big spiderweb of cracks coming from above button area. not sure if screen was facing outward or inward. Don't ever remember bumping into anything or doing anything unusual that would cause this problem.

Temperature was very high today (high 90's).
    I use a touchstone.

I'm thinking something with the slider mechanism is contributing to this.

Bought this with a new contract.
    Don't think I want an exchange.
    I have the insurance, but think I want to return the device and use something else that is less fragile.

It's sad, as I really like the WebOS, and think it has lots of potential.
    But this type of problem could be disastrous.
    I don't want to take a chance on this product right now, if it breaks this easily.
    Last edited by across04; 06/19/2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Added additional information
    Quote Originally Posted by Will9981 View Post
    Well unlike the people I have read about by dropping there phone, or having it break in their pokets, try my f-en experince and being called a liar. F *** sprint Corprate, I am glad I work for a third party store.

If my claim is rejected, I am taking sprint to court, no joke. So look for the news paper clippings!

My feelings exactly about being blamed.