View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLucky View Post
    I did have to use asurion and the cracks happened all at once and rendered the device completely useless as the screen would not even display anything. I am curious to see over the next month mow many other "spider cracks" show up on the forums as I already have heard of about ten cases.
    Out of 50,000-100,000 Pre's sold even if 500-1,000 cracked that would be a normal 1%-2% defect rate. But since it has only been out two weeks maybe more screens will crack a couple of months down the road. Two weeks in it doesn't seem like a widespread defect. We'll see what happens over time. I would call you JB Unlucky as far as your Pre is concerned.

I'm curious how the plastic screens hold up in the summer and winter months when they expand and contract.
    Well after all my hassles I finally got my phone swapped today with no hassles at all at my 4th sprint store. Apparently word must be getting out since the rep said she had heard about it. Unfortunately for me it was the only phone they had left and it had 3 stuck pixels. I guess I'll wait a little bit for new shipments before replacing again.
    Welcome to the club. I'm glad your Pre problem was taken care of though.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I'm sure the membership rate and the complaints of the $100 insurance deductible are to grow. I love the phone and I can't wait to see where webOS goes from here, but I do have to agree with some reviews when they say the build quality is questionable.
    Quote Originally Posted by JfBrshie56 View Post
    Here's another $.02:

I'm a mechanical engineer who works with design of plastic components on a daily basis. Any number of things could be defective with design and/or manufacture of the device.

This is absolutely right.

Other possibilities:
    • Internal stresses in the screen manufacture (parts are formed while hot, cooling creates these stresses) are simply causing the screen to fatigue itself and crack.
    • Screen is out of tolerance causing an interference with "frame" which creates stresses in the part.
    • Screen has a thermal expansion greater than that of the surrounding material. This would tend to make the screen crack more at higher temperatures.
    • A component is out of spec behind the button, causing an interference with the touchscreen. This stress eventually could cause a crack.
    It could be any of these items, or any combination thereof. The hole for the button is a natural stress riser on an otherwise solid plate, which is why we're seeing so many of the cracks propagating from the button. It is a natural problem with the design, but at least they didn't make it a square button. Then we'd see many more cracked screens. Either way, hopefully they have taken care of the defect already, or will soon.

I don't have my own Pre yet, nor have I taken an in-depth look at how it's put together; so I can't comment any deeper than what are some common problems in plastics design/manufacture.

This is a great idea. Some other info:
    • Can you feel the crack with a finger/nail or is it in a lower layer?
    • Did the crack start small and expand, or fracture all at once?
    the crack cannot be felt with a fingernail.. it is in a middle layer of material and doesn't affect display only input.

it started small.. and then ran like a crack on a winshield
    sorry to see that
    This is the ONLY reason I don't have a Pre yet.
    Me too.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Get this story from my cracked Pre LCD screen:

I was at my dinner table with my family eating, and talking about how I love my phone(not joking....) I got done eating, and was down loading the cragislist app, when it was done, I got up to put my plate away about 5 ft walking distance, come back and screen is completly cracked! So I go to the sprint store and they call me a liar and refuse to give me a new phone without making a claim with a 100$ I dont have.

Also the kick is, is that I work for SPRINT, as a phone tech! I gave up my employee plan to get the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will9981 View Post
    Get this story from my cracked Pre LCD screen:

I was at my dinner table with my family eating, and talking about how I love my phone(not joking....) I got done eating, and was down loading the cragislist app, when it was done, I got up to put my plate away about 5 ft walking distance, come back and screen is completly cracked! So I go to the sprint store and they call me a liar and refuse to give me a new phone without making a claim with a 100$ I dont have.

Also the kick is, is that I work for SPRINT, as a phone tech! I gave up my employee plan to get the Pre.
    I think we have a winner for the most screwed person in this thread. Really sorry to hear that. I wonder how many more screens are cracking that we never hear about, considering most Pre users never visit this forum.
    So I go to the sprint store and they call me a liar and refuse to give me a new phone without making a claim with a 100$ I dont have.

Does your cracked screen look like the others? Post a pic of your cracked screen.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I think we have a winner for the most screwed person in this thread. Really sorry to hear that. I wonder how many more screens are cracking that we never hear about, considering most Pre users never visit this forum.
    O yea, forgot to mention, a Palm Rep was in the store, and he said he never heard of the issue, now Sprint Tech support has, but not Palm....?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy999 View Post
    Does your cracked screen look like the others? Post a pic of your cracked screen.
    I cant, my phone is at home and I am working trying to make Sprint some money, the very company screwing me. The screen is the spider web effect merging from the silver button. The girl at the store said its cuz I push the screen to damn hard! Like Im that retarted, even though I repair phones on a daily bases..
    I cant, my phone is at home and I am working trying to make Sprint some money, the very company screwing me.
    How did you get your phone? I thought I read somewhere that Sprint employees weren't allowed to purchase the phones for a little while so that Joe Q. Public could get their hands on them first.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    How did you get your phone? I thought I read somewhere that Sprint employees weren't allowed to purchase the phones for a little while so that Joe Q. Public could get their hands on them first.
    Ture in a way....I dont work for a corprate store...more for a third party one. The big deal about the employees buying them was also because of the plan we have. But I gave that up for this damn phone that now serves as a paper weight.

But whats awsome is my tech boss is very respected, and he emailed the reps who are over the store that screwed me, and told him the problem and how I was treated. So hopefully that fixes this problem before I burn down the store.
    But whats awsome is my tech boss is very respected, and he emailed the reps who are over the store that screwed me, and told him the problem and how I was treated. So hopefully that fixes this problem before I burn down the store.
    Point them to this thread. People need to make a lot of noise on the net about the cracked screen issues, backed up with pics. Post them to blogs, email them to Palm.

Palm/Sprint needs to acknowledge there is some type of problem with some of the phones and take care of their customers instead of screwing them. The more data that's posted, the better chance of getting a replacement phone.

Granted, some people will accidentally crack the phone by dropping it or hitting it somehow, but multiple pictures that show the same type of crack starting from the bottom button going upwards should be the types of pictures that are posted.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    Point them to this thread. People need to make a lot of noise on the net about the cracked screen issues, backed up with pics. Post them to blogs, email them to Palm.

Palm/Sprint needs to acknowledge there is some type of problem with some of the phones and take care of their customers instead of screwing them. The more data that's posted, the better chance of getting a replacement phone.

Granted, some people will accidentally crack the phone by dropping it or hitting it somehow, but multiple pictures that show the same type of crack starting from the bottom button going upwards should be the types of pictures that are posted.
    the funny thing is, is that I showed them this site. The store said its not sponsered by Palm nor Sprint so its not reliable. But I did get the tech support to look into this, and he is siding with me 100%. But the store and Palm are completely shutting me out, and saying its impossible. I wish tech support could order me one or he would have, but they are not available to him to send out either so Im ****ed!!
    the funny thing is, is that I showed them this site. The store said its not sponsered by Palm nor Sprint so its not reliable.
    Yeah, what they really mean is that Palm and Sprint have no power to delete the negative posts and pictures here, so therefore this site can't be trusted.

I hope that during the next phase of downsizing, those jerks in your store get laid off, with a 15 minute notice and jack squat for severance.
    Guys your best bet is to call sprint and speak to a manager directly. I had to deal with getting an exchange for a week, sat in 4 stores for an hour each and argued with Sprint instore reps. Here is your best bet:

1. Try exchanging in store quoting the 30 day exchange period, calmly explain the crack appeared on its own and this is starting to be a widespread problem.

2. If they refuse, ask to speak to the store manager and explaining the situation again and reassure them that you did not crack it.

3. After being refused by the store, call up sprint customer service and start a paper trail, let them they you are only exchanging for the same phone and do no expect anything more except a working phone.

4. If your store still refuses after sprint CS has noted your account, call sprint CS and ask to speak to management or a supervisor, this is key since its an entirely different dept it seems since I had to be placed on hold and transferred. The manager will work with your and give you a manager code to override the store.

These are the exact steps I took to receive my exchange, and they didn't even bother to call corporate after seeing the notes on my account. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slidez View Post
    Guys your best bet is to call sprint and speak to a manager directly. I had to deal with getting an exchange for a week, sat in 4 stores for an hour each and argued with Sprint instore reps. Here is your best bet:

1. Try exchanging in store quoting the 30 day exchange period, calmly explain the crack appeared on its own and this is starting to be a widespread problem.

2. If they refuse, ask to speak to the store manager and explaining the situation again and reassure them that you did not crack it.

3. After being refused by the store, call up sprint customer service and start a paper trail, let them they you are only exchanging for the same phone and do no expect anything more except a working phone.

4. If your store still refuses after sprint CS has noted your account, call sprint CS and ask to speak to management or a supervisor, this is key since its an entirely different dept it seems since I had to be placed on hold and transferred. The manager will work with your and give you a manager code to override the store.

These are the exact steps I took to receive my exchange, and they didn't even bother to call corporate after seeing the notes on my account. Good luck!
    Well I did this, starting with Sprint Tech support. They assured me that they have heard of this problem, and they leave it up to the store to replace it due to the fact they do not have the phone to give out since the supply and demand are very un-even. I just made a claim, and if it gets denied, then no joke I am taking Sprint to small claims court and going to get 2,500$ out of them and a new phone. I am trying to do this nicely and am tired of getting dicked around, simply put.