View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
  1. cme
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    Did your wife know what caused the damage? Or was she suprised (like I was) that anything had even happened?
    she think it was in her belt clip and she removed the whole belt clip and put it down and later sat on it.
    Be careful, don't let this happen to your Pre.

I really have no idea how it happened, possibly while I was sitting in a chair that had metal arms - and my leg pressed against it.

Looks like a hard case is needed - or maybe make certain the screen side is against your leg and not facing out.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow if TEP was worth my investment or not....

The cracks start at the button and go all the way up the screen. There are twice as many cracks as you can see in the pictures.

Display still works fine, however touch is all messed up. Bottom third of the screen doesn't touch, and a spot on the middle of the screen keeps "touching" automatically every couple of seconds. Can't even answer the phone because I can't slide the green dot up.
    wowwww this is ridiculous b/c the exact same thing happened to me. I thought i was the only clumsy person that would brick their pre less than 24 hrs of having it. Did yours respond to touches after it was cracked? mine didn't.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    TEP will cover this, but you'll have to pay a deductible. Shoulda got ESRP. . .
    I would be worst off with ESRP..it doesn't cover physical damage
    Wow... guess I'll definitely have to pick up a screen protector.
    I just don't get how it got damaged though...it was just sitting there in my short pocket and when i pulled it out it just wouldn't respond and i saw those scratches. My heart just saaaaaaaank.

Anyways on the two posters with the same problem...have u guys contacted Asurion or what are you guys doing?
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I guess the $100 rebate will go straight to the TEP deductible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    I guess the $100 rebate will go straight to the TEP deductible.
    haha yah thats what i was thinkin...i ended up payin 299 instead of 199 for the phone...oh well i'm just happy i have insurance for it
    Im glad I bought my insurance (7$) a month. Ill use it for a couple months then remove it once the butterfinger effect goes down. I never bought it on the instinct and nothing ever happened untill 9 months when the screen died, so I rma'd it and got a brand new screen 2 weeks later soo hmph.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by bballintom22 View Post
    I just don't get how it got damaged though...it was just sitting there in my short pocket and when i pulled it out it just wouldn't respond and i saw those scratches. My heart just saaaaaaaank.

Anyways on the two posters with the same problem...have u guys contacted Asurion or what are you guys doing?
    Wow! Yours looks like the same damage as mine - does it look like it starts at the top of the button and spread out and up from there?

I wonder if it wasn't something actually pushing in the spot - but maybe some sort of vertical torque on the case (like push the top and bottom of the case together).

I'm really stumped (as it seems you are) as to how it happened. Now that I see your picture, I'm wondering if I really did do anything abnormal.

I'm going to the local sprint store where I bought it tomorrow and see what they can/will do for me, and take it from there.
  10. cme

I have insurance....so i am hoping to find a sprint store that has one and they have to exchange it
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post
    Wow... guess I'll definitely have to pick up a screen protector.
    I dont think a screen protector will help in this situation - it must be some type of force applied somewhere on the screen or to the case. A piece of film isn't going to help that..
    You know, I've been extremely careful with this phone. I honestly don't understand how is cracked, as I've treated it like my newborn baby. I've never broken a phone - ever - and I've had one for at least 15 years.

It is obviously my fault, I have no doubt. Like I said above, when I took it out of my pocket and the supplied case, and noticed the cracks, I was sitting in a chair that had wrought iron arms - and my leg was probably pressing against it on the side. I'm pretty sure I wasn't "sitting" on the phone. That is the only thing I can think of.

So, is it fragile? I don't know. But again, I can think of nothing "severe" that I did to cause the damage.
    I don't see how what you did could be considered your fault. I've carried smartphones in my front pants pocket for years and years, dating back to the Treo's, Centro, and BlackBerry. I've never used a case, and I've never had a problem. Sounds like you haven't either until now. I think there is a very good chance we could see this become the type of widespread problem that shows up on the news.
  13. cme
    Wow! Yours looks like the same damage as mine - does it look like it starts at the top of the button and spread out and up from there?

I wonder if it wasn't something actually pushing in the spot - but maybe some sort of vertical torque on the case (like push the top and bottom of the case together).

I'm really stumped (as it seems you are) as to how it happened. Now that I see your picture, I'm wondering if I really did do anything abnormal.

I'm going to the local sprint store where I bought it tomorrow and see what they can/will do for me, and take it from there.
    Looking at the phone..it looks like it started under the screen and spread from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by cme View Post
    I have insurance....so i am hoping to find a sprint store that has one and they have to exchange it

I went to the store today and they said any physical damage has to go thru asurion now. And my store was out anyways so itd be like the same thing.

My crack started right at the bottom of the screen and goes all up the left side of the screen.
  15.    #35  
    I went to the store today and they said any physical damage has to go thru asurion now. And my store was out anyways so itd be like the same thing.

My crack started right at the bottom of the screen and goes all up the left side of the screen.
    At "the bottom" as in where the black and clear parts meet?

See, I think mine starts down at the button - even though I can't see any crack until the clear part starts - as the black is blocking the visual - I think. Does that make sense?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I don't see how what you did could be considered your fault. I've carried smartphones in my front pants pocket for years and years, dating back to the Treo's, Centro, and BlackBerry. I've never used a case, and I've never had a problem. Sounds like you haven't either until now. I think there is a very good chance we could see this become the type of widespread problem that shows up on the news.
    I don't see how not using a case and possibly smashing the screen in your pocket isn't your fault. My Pre has no cracks because I keep it in a case. The little fabric sleeve the phone comes with is for very basic protection.
    At "the bottom" as in where the black and clear parts meet?

See, I think mine starts down at the button - even though I can't see any crack until the clear part starts - as the black is blocking the visual - I think. Does that make sense?
    yeah right where the black and clear screen meet.

Let me know what your store does for u cuz they weren't gunna replace mine in store even if they had any in stock. So are you not able to use ur phone right now either? I just had to re-activate my touch pro for now
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Thanks. Seeing the other one here that seems to have been "simply" in the front pocket - and damaged almost exactly like mine - I'm also wondering if we will be seeing a lot of this - and what that means.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Be sure to update if they exchanged it with TEP or tried to get out of it!
    I've been in the habit of putting the screen facing my leg for years, don't know if that would've helped in this case or not though.

Still, probably not a bad idea if anyone isn't doing it already.
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast