View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey2 View Post
    I went to a independently owned Sprint store. They replaced my phone with no problem and charged me nothing. Excellent service, sympathetic, and helpful. I will avoid corporate stores whenever possible. I spent almost 6 days of headaches and it was solved in under 30 minutes. I'm just happy I got it resolved and am keeping my fingers crossed that I have no more problems. My suggestion would be to find a non-corporate store as Sprint has been incompetent throughout this entire process. Good luck to all that continue to have problems and you have my sympathy.
    I as well, going to a non corporate "dealer" now have a replacement.

Talking about defects and showing them the two threads got me my replacement.
  2.    #362  
    Quote Originally Posted by thetruemaddox View Post

That's interesting. It that dealer the same place you made the original purchase? If not, I wonder what is in it for them.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    I'm not doubting that the phone is extremely fragile and the screen could crack...I'm lucky mine hasn't cracked yet BUT...

I really fail to believe that a phone (or any device) could be sitting on a nightstand not doing anything and all of a sudden develop multiple cracks!! Just seems too bizarre. Maybe if you were doing something and it did it, that would make sense but people posting it happened while it was sitting on their nightstand is pretty far fetched. Just my 2 cents.
    You don't live in an Earth Quake zone do you? Many people mistakenly assume that if they do nothing, the stresses that build up on the plates won't somehow spontaneously release Energy in their life time. Nor will leavys and dams break there by flooding a region also destroying homes.

What is hard to believe is that their are a large number of reports of cracks radiating from the roller-ball area of the phone isn't a design flaw/manufacturing defect. The area in question from the reports here appears to be under the most stress:

+ Thumbing the phone open
    + Thumbing the trackball to move around on the screen
    + depressing the trackball
    + Place in a pocket with a clothing binding over it creating stress on the glass that is not solid (ie it has a hole in it).

Anyway, I am putting off getting a Pre until I see something affirmative come from Palm.
    Last edited by Clack; 06/18/2009 at 10:48 PM.
    I'll add myself to the list, my Pre cracked today. Trying to get a good pic of it now.
    Also apparently the crack broke the touchscreen completely and 2 keyboard keys are also not responding.

There's also some metallic gold something stuck inside the display layers (came that way from the factory) that you can faintly see at this angle on the left side of the display across from the crack. No idea if it contributed (although I doubt it.)

Here's a link to a higher rez version so the image doesn't take over the forum:
    http://imgur.com/mNIK9.jpg
    Last edited by palandri; 06/17/2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: rescaled photo size
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
    Also apparently the crack broke the touchscreen completely and 2 keyboard keys are also not responding.

There's also some metallic gold something stuck inside the display layers (came that way from the factory) that you can faintly see at this angle on the left side of the display across from the crack. No idea if it contributed (although I doubt it.)

Here's a link to a higher rez version so the image doesn't take over the forum:
    http://imgur.com/mNIK9.jpg
    Thanks for reporting this! Did you carry your Pre in a belt holster or in your pocket?

Let us know what happens when you return it.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

i got my mine replaced i just showed him that the grid didn't work. he didn't really care about the minor crack

using my acer aspire tethered to my palm pre
    I dont have a pre. Plan on getting one though. Looking through this thread and others I dont see anyone suggesting that it might be the button hitting the gesture area and I am assuming from tear down pictures that the gesture area is connected to the touch screen since it is touch as well. It could simply be a design flaw that puts the button too close to the actual screen and it is pressing down and putting pressure on the screen and cracking it. Anyone think its possible? Thats just my non pre owner two cents.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    OK I said I would post some photos of my pre screen cracks for the article http://www.precentral.net/psb-pre-screen-cracks-emerge. Ironically the photos were taken by the replacement pre. The damaged pre came in the black slip cover box while my new once came in the yellow slip cover box. I notice on the new pre that the button is about 1 mm further into the surface on the device and you can feel the difference in the button not protruding as much. I'm not going to say that is a defect but definitely puts a flag on the slight differences in the phones. I could not get a good enough shot of a side by side view of the button but believe me it's there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thetruemaddox View Post

it was the same place i purchased, for the first time i tried to replace was at a corporate store.
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...
    LMAO!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    I really fail to believe that a phone (or any device) could be sitting on a nightstand not doing anything and all of a sudden develop multiple cracks!! Just seems too bizarre. Maybe if you were doing something and it did it, that would make sense but people posting it happened while it was sitting on their nightstand is pretty far fetched. Just my 2 cents.
    Here's another $.02:

I'm a mechanical engineer who works with design of plastic components on a daily basis. Any number of things could be defective with design and/or manufacture of the device.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    This isn't hard to believe or understand at all. If it's a manufacturing defect related to the hole in the screen for the center button, then it's entirely possible that there are stresses at that location that eventually cause the screen to crack The stress can put a constant load on that small area, gradually weakening the plastic. I've seen stress cracks in various kinds of products, and until they occur there's no hint that there's a problem brewing.

Another possibility is that opening the screen by pushing on the base, in the area of the button, is putting too much stress on the screen. Again, the stress gradually weakens the plastic, until it cracks.
    This is absolutely right.

Other possibilities:
    • Internal stresses in the screen manufacture (parts are formed while hot, cooling creates these stresses) are simply causing the screen to fatigue itself and crack.
    • Screen is out of tolerance causing an interference with "frame" which creates stresses in the part.
    • Screen has a thermal expansion greater than that of the surrounding material. This would tend to make the screen crack more at higher temperatures.
    • A component is out of spec behind the button, causing an interference with the touchscreen. This stress eventually could cause a crack.
    It could be any of these items, or any combination thereof. The hole for the button is a natural stress riser on an otherwise solid plate, which is why we're seeing so many of the cracks propagating from the button. It is a natural problem with the design, but at least they didn't make it a square button. Then we'd see many more cracked screens. Either way, hopefully they have taken care of the defect already, or will soon.

I don't have my own Pre yet, nor have I taken an in-depth look at how it's put together; so I can't comment any deeper than what are some common problems in plastics design/manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am a new member that is going to get a Pre (hopefully early/mid July, possibly as late as September)

I am getting a little worried with the heat/screen discoloration/cracking issues, but I would like to help a little...

I am making a spreadsheet with a list of data that might help determine the cause of this problem, since it does seem to be happening while using the phone normally.

If you could reply with this data or PM me (I am not sure if PMs require 10 posts here or not), that would be great!

Code:
    Replacement cost (if any):
    Days owned:
    Manufactured on:
    Touchstone (Yes/No):
    Significant heat issues (Yes/No):
    Carried in (front pocket, etc.):
    Crack origin:
    Method to open keyboard:
    Other:
    Thanks!
    This is a great idea. Some other info:
    • Can you feel the crack with a finger/nail or is it in a lower layer?
    • Did the crack start small and expand, or fracture all at once?
    yet another screen crack. Manufacturing date of 5/17, bought on 6/6, crack developed 6/12 or 13.

Started as a small crack (two actually) but quickly spiderwebbed out from there after a small amount of use. At first the screen was only mildly unusable but as the cracks spread the screen eventually stopped registering touches on the entire right half. Again, originating from the center button. Like everyone else, I have been nothing but extremely careful with the phone, never dropping it, etc. I do carry it in my front pocket with nothing else in there. Definitely under the screen (ie the surface was flawless; this was a lower level crack)

Went to the sprint store near my office and got stonewalled by the employees there. I then went to the sprint store I originally bought it from and they replaced it without issue (or cost). I think it helps that their Sprint rep apparently had the exact same problem a couple days before. Unfortunately it sounds like it is hit or miss. The store I bought it from (and subsequently returned it to) was absolutely professional about it. The first one ... not so much.

-M
  14.    #374  
    Those cracks look familiar...

I assume you had to go through assurion?
    When I went to the sprint store to pick up my pre, the rep who helped me actually warned me about this issue. Apparently they've had people come in with this problem already, and he said that it was due to people sliding the phone open/closed too fast.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Seems to be somewhat of a problem with these screens I got lucky while the girl at the sprint store was typing in whatever they put in when you switch to a new phone and the sale of the new phone she was holding it in her left hand. She shot her head over real quick to the phone and and say wow. I asked what happened and she said the bottom of the screen just cracked.

They just grabbed a new phone and joked that it was better that it happen while they were activating so it saved me a trip back. The manager said they have seen this on a few phones but not a majority of them or anything. He said they have had around 25 brought back in to that store since the phone launched.

He said if this one gets a crack(s) just bring it in and they will swap it out for a new one.

I really hope I don't have problems with this one. I really like the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLucky View Post
    OK I said I would post some photos of my pre screen cracks for the article http://www.precentral.net/psb-pre-screen-cracks-emerge. Ironically the photos were taken by the replacement pre. The damaged pre came in the black slip cover box while my new once came in the yellow slip cover box. I notice on the new pre that the button is about 1 mm further into the surface on the device and you can feel the difference in the button not protruding as much. I'm not going to say that is a defect but definitely puts a flag on the slight differences in the phones. I could not get a good enough shot of a side by side view of the button but believe me it's there.
    Wow! All those cracks happened at once or over days? When did you get this Pre? Thx.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post
    When I went to the sprint store to pick up my pre, the rep who helped me actually warned me about this issue. Apparently they've had people come in with this problem already, and he said that it was due to people sliding the phone open/closed too fast.
    Bull****. This is a phone defect and they are trying to blame the customers for it. This problem is going to continue until Sprint/Palm will have to take responsibility for it otherwise they are digging their own grave.
  19.    #379  
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post

How fast is too fast? Exactly how is that speed measured?

What a load.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I did have to use asurion and the cracks happened all at once and rendered the device completely useless as the screen would not even display anything. I am curious to see over the next month now many other "spider cracks" show up on the forums as I already have heard of about ten cases.
    Last edited by JBLucky; 06/19/2009 at 10:06 AM.