View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    My phone was just sitting on the nightstand by my bed all alone when the screen just cracked in 3 places. I didn't do anything to it. Only had it for 5 days. Never dropped it, put it in my pocket, or handled it roughly. It was just sitting there. One minute fine, then 20 minutes later, cracked.
    You are not clumsy. The phone is extremely fragile. Mine was just lying on the nightstand next to my bed, charging, when it cracked. I talked on the phone for a little while, plugged it in to charge it (phone was in perfect condition), phone rang, I picked it up to answer it and noticed these 3 cracks on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelnmo View Post
    You are not clumsy. The phone is extremely fragile. Mine was just lying on the nightstand next to my bed, charging, when it cracked. I talked on the phone for a little while, plugged it in to charge it (phone was in perfect condition), phone rang, I picked it up to answer it and noticed these 3 cracks on the phone.
    can you post a picture of where your cracks are? do they start near the bottom center above or at the button?

you can use a free host like imageshack.us

what i think is happening is that the pre has a 3 layer display and input architecture.

Top layer is the physical plastic your fingers touch. (most cases this layer is in meticulous shape)

Second layer is the touch input sensitive layer. (this is the layer controlling touch commands, it goes farther down into the black colored area of the phone where the back slide command is accepted)

Third layer is the actual screen with pixels.
    i doubt any palm employees with decision making capabilities view these forums and i recommend everyone double post WITH PICTURES at official palm forums under the post @ forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=weboshardware&thread.id=145&page=3
    Quote Originally Posted by treblig82 View Post
    i had my phone on my desk at work yesterday and when i picked it up to go to lunch it was cracked!!! i did absolutely nothing to it and took the best of care of it (my girlfriend always made fun of me because i did). i was in the middle of doing a insurance claim and realized i should not have to pay for this, so i am not! i'm taking this in to sprint tomorrow! i already talk to sprint CS on the phone just so they can have it noted in there system and calling palm tomorrow!

warranty date is:
    05/20/2009
    cracked showed up:
    06/19/2009
    hey guys on Monday i went to the sprint store where i purchased it from and told them my story. at first they told me it was physical damage. i called sprint CS while in store and got the store to look up all of the people with the same problem on palm.com forums. after about 30 minutes they agreed it was not physical damage and gave me a new phone that instant!! very understanding guys and if i was in there shoes i would have said the same thing (physical damage) being i am in the electronics industry. i recommend every single person to call sprint CS to report the problem as well as palm. the more the merrier, we all can make this to be a know problem in there system and make this a painless exchange!
    I'm not doubting that the phone is extremely fragile and the screen could crack...I'm lucky mine hasn't cracked yet BUT...

I really fail to believe that a phone (or any device) could be sitting on a nightstand not doing anything and all of a sudden develop multiple cracks!! Just seems too bizarre. Maybe if you were doing something and it did it, that would make sense but people posting it happened while it was sitting on their nightstand is pretty far fetched. Just my 2 cents.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Yes, I was able to replace mine. But I didn't want another palm pre, so I got a totally different phone. I thought I would go in to the corporate and they would give me hell, but they exchanged the phone, no questions asked.
    My phone was just sitting on the nightstand charging when it cracked. I didn't drop or bang or carry it in my pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelnmo View Post
    My phone was just sitting on the nightstand charging when it cracked. I didn't drop or bang or carry it in my pocket.
    I wonder if it could be a combination of things, like overheating, over torqued parts and pressure from sliding the phone open that contributes to the cracks.
  10.    #350  
    Here is another from another thread - Chargersfan14 - I asked him/her to post over here with the story, but here is the pic - looks exactly the same as the others...
    Attached Images Attached Images
  11.    #351  
    For those that suggest that there is something being done to these devices to cause this cracking - how do you explain the we have identical cracking patterns in so many devices? What are the chances that this many people are abusing the devices in exactly the same way (i.e. getting hit in their leg at the same place, etc.)?

The fact that the damage is exactly the same sure seems telling of something..
    I have no reason to lie. The phone was just lying there. 20 minutes later, cracked. Don't you think I have better things to do with my time than to make up some story about a cell phone. I was just trying to give my experience with the phone in order to help out anyone else who may have experienced it. And mobilehavoc, just because YOU can't fathom a phone cracking by just sitting there, doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Again, why would I lie. I told the Sprint store about the crack, and they believed me. It was obvious that the phone wasn't dropped to cause the cracks. And luckily, one of the sprint reps had a palm pre that did the exact same thing. So I guess that's why they were so quick to replace mine no questions asked.
    Phone cracked while in pocket. Refer to the post 3-4 behind mine to see the pic. I have more pics if anyone wants to see them.

Sprint told me it was my fault and i was pressing the gesture bar too hard. Problem is, the phone was in my pocket when it happened. Sprint customer service is bogus! I still love/loved the phone though.
    I'm going tommrow to the sprint store to see if thay can swap mine out. I know for a fact that phones can just crack a few years back motorola v220 were doing the same thing. My crack is still growing I can't believe it happened I've been using smartphones since the motorola mpx220 came out and never hada cracked screen
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    I'm not doubting that the phone is extremely fragile and the screen could crack...I'm lucky mine hasn't cracked yet BUT...

I really fail to believe that a phone (or any device) could be sitting on a nightstand not doing anything and all of a sudden develop multiple cracks!! Just seems too bizarre. Maybe if you were doing something and it did it, that would make sense but people posting it happened while it was sitting on their nightstand is pretty far fetched. Just my 2 cents.
    This isn't hard to believe or understand at all. If it's a manufacturing defect related to the hole in the screen for the center button, then it's entirely possible that there are stresses at that location that eventually cause the screen to crack The stress can put a constant load on that small area, gradually weakening the plastic. I've seen stress cracks in various kinds of products, and until they occur there's no hint that there's a problem brewing.

Another possibility is that opening the screen by pushing on the base, in the area of the button, is putting too much stress on the screen. Again, the stress gradually weakens the plastic, until it cracks.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    i carry my pre in my front pocket all the time and that doesnt happen. like i said in another post, I guess I just got a "good one"
    It seems my screen is beginning to crack from the inside. This is really becoming a problem!

Pre never dropped, mishandled, or abused. (Quite the opposite.)

Stays in leather holster, in my hand, or on the TouchStone.

Gets rather hot on TouchStone.

Cracking on INSIDE.

UPDATE1: Actually, it appears a bubble is forming under the plastic outer layer, rather than a crack. ???

UPDATE2: Now have Pre #3. Hopefully, I have paid my dues and have a keeper now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chodaboy; 06/17/2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Update2
    Well after visiting 3 stores all turning me away, I eventually got someone in sprint management that will force a store to exchange my phone. I let him know about all the people in the forums and gave him the website and he verified it was probably a manufacturing defect. He told me to wait about a week when stock should be ample and then if the stores give me any flack about returning that they could call sprint CS and refer to his manager code so they could override whatever the store says. We'll see if it works!
    I went to a independently owned Sprint store. They replaced my phone with no problem and charged me nothing. Excellent service, sympathetic, and helpful. I will avoid corporate stores whenever possible. I spent almost 6 days of headaches and it was solved in under 30 minutes. I'm just happy I got it resolved and am keeping my fingers crossed that I have no more problems. My suggestion would be to find a non-corporate store as Sprint has been incompetent throughout this entire process. Good luck to all that continue to have problems and you have my sympathy.
    I didn't read the whole thread.

While opening the phone earlier today I noticed the screen distorted while applying pressure.
    I was trying to open from the bottom of the screen near the button, NOT the middle of the screen.
    When opening from the middle it didn't distort.

Looks like that's where the cracks are starting, from around the button area.
    Could be a weak spot or even fatigue?