View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    By the way, just out of curiousity are you a new customer to Sprint or were you just resigning a contract?
    I have been with Sprint for almost 8 years and have had treo's and a centro with no problems what-so-ever. I seem to run into problems right after I renew a contract with sprint. Probably coincidence, but it's frustrating anyway.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    For all the people with crack screens, I would just return it without telling them about screen. Just tell them its unresponsiveness. Maybe they won't see the crack.

Just take it back and get your money back. Then wait till the bugs are worked out. Once you return it, you are stuck with it and the contract. The second time, you don't have 30 days to get your money back. Sprint got me like that..

..a while back, I got a recent released phone on a 3rd line to check if the signal was good at my house. But when I got it home the phone did not hold a charge for more than 10 seconds ..so I took it back and sprint gave me another ..got the second one home to find out that the signal was worst than any phone I ever had ..so back to the sprint store to get my money back but was disappointed to find out that you can't return a phone after the second time regardless of the situation ..I was pissed! That policy is on the back of the receipt in small writing. I was stuck with the phone and the 2 year contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitussi View Post
    ..a while back, I got a recent released phone on a 3rd line to check if the signal was good at my house. But when I got it home the phone did not hold a charge for more than 10 seconds ..so I took it back and sprint gave me another ..got the second one home to find out that the signal was worst than any phone I ever had ..so back to the sprint store to get my money back but was disappointed to find out that you can't return a phone after the second time regardless of the situation ..I was pissed! That policy is on the back of the receipt in small writing. I was stuck with the phone and the 2 year contract.
    Was it a Sprint corp store or an authorized dealer? That policy is news to me. There's been several people here to report they're on their third exchange with no problems.
    Well crapola. This does appear to be the policy; however, the way this reads to me (for new customers) exchanging the phone doesn't lock you into the contract. All you have to do is return the phone within 30 days of the initial activation:

Our Guarantee

Exchange policy
    You get one exchange per 30-day period. Please note that an exchange does not extend the 30-day period.

If your device has been activated, there is a $35 restocking fee for all exchanges due at the time of the exchange (Per Hawaii state law, this does not apply Hawaii residents).

New customers
    We’ll:

Refund any activation fee
    Waive your Early Termination Fee
    Only bill you for access and airtime charges you used through the date you cancelled your service.
    Please note that even if you cancel services, you must return your device within 30 days, or you will be subject to an Early Termination Fee of up to $200.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Was it a Sprint corp store or an authorized dealer? That policy is news to me. There's been several people here to report they're on their third exchange with no problems.
    No you can exchange and return the phone if you have problems within 30 days ..but you can't get a full money back return(say you don't like it) after the first exchange ..you are stuck with it. Yes it was a corp. sprint store. Look on the back of your receipt.
    Just got off the phone with palm. They were much more sympathetic to my cracked screen issue, but basically said there is nothing they will do. I can send it to them and pay 199 to have it fixed or they will send me a new phone for full price. They basically refered me back to Sprint. I then called CS again and they told me the store would replace it under my 30 day warranty. I'm going back one more time and this time they are going to talk with CS while I'm there so I can quite being jerked around.
    No you can exchange and return the phone if you have problems within 30 days ..but you can't get a full money back return(say you don't like it) after the first exchange ..you are stuck with it. Yes it was a corp. sprint store. Look on the back of your receipt.
    I'd like to see the actual wordage because there is nothing about this on their website under 30-day guarantee. I don't suppose you could scan the back of a receipt and show us what it says? I'm supposed to pick up my Pre tomorrow. Everything I'm seeing is showing more leeway to new customers... that's what i'd be.
    Oh My God
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I'd like to see the actual wordage because there is nothing about this on their website under 30-day guarantee. I don't suppose you could scan the back of a receipt and show us what it says? I'm supposed to pick up my Pre tomorrow. Everything I'm seeing is showing more leeway to new customers... that's what i'd be.

Well I can't find my receipt to that phone I bought at a sprint store a while back, but it is true ..the second time around you are stuck with the phone and contract even if you don't want it, even if it is within your initial 30 days. I bought my Pre at Best Buy because they had instant rebate on it, and I believe their policy is different. With BB I think you can return it within 30 days no matter how many times you exchanged it. At BB you can basically say, "I had enough of this crap!", and get your money back ..at sprint you can't.
    Last edited by nitussi; 06/15/2009 at 10:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Why would you say that? I don't think anyone here who is reporting a cracked screen were careless. I certainly don't think you were careless.

I don't think it's a manufacturing flaw at this point, but that will change if this thread continues to grow.

I do think these new touch screen phones are much more fragile that previous phones. When I had my Treo 700, if I wanted to play catch and didn't have a baseball, my Treo 700 would have worked as a substitute.

I do think carrying this phone in ones front pocket is an issue, since I saw my wife break her screen on her kyocera flip phone that way.

This thread is certainly a warning to other to be more careful with the Pre, and to watch for this happening.
    A phone that is so fragile it breaks in normal use, without being dropped or imnpacted, is defective in manufacture or design, period. I don't know why you keep defending the phone, but there are only two possibilities here: the pohone is defective in design, in which case the problem will get a lot worse, and Palm will go out of business. Or some (hopefully small) number of screens are defective in manufacture, in which case Palm should replace them all for free, and reimburse those who had to pay the deductible.

To even imply this is "normal wear" is absurd, and indefensible. Millions of phones are carried in pockets every day, and breakage is not commonplace nor acceptable.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Well I can't find my receipt to that phone I bought at a sprint store a while back, but it is true ..the second time around you are stuck with the phone and contract even if you don't want it, even if it is within your initial 30 days. I bought my Pre at Best Buy because they had instant rebate on it, and I believe their policy is different. With BB I think you can return it within 30 days no matter how many times you exchanged it. At BB you can basically say I had enough of this crap and get your money back ..at sprint you can't.
    I will question the Sprint rep about this tomorrow. I think a lot of it has to do with the store you're at and who you're working with, regardless of policy. The way their published policy reads for new customers I could exchange it once and, while on unit #2, just do a straight return for a full refund and no contract obligations. For exsisting customers it describes what you're talking about. However, if that's not how it works according to their published policy at the store then I guess I'll be going home without a Pre tomorrow.

No half *** b.s. for me, thank you.
    I think a 1% or 2% defect rate is acceptable. So, out of 50,000 Pre's sold if 500-1,000 are defective I would say that is normal. On this forum only about a dozen have stated that they have a cracked screen so I am not ready to say Pre screens are defective. You guys are just the unlucky 1%-2%. Let's see if this thread and the number of people with cracked screens grows. Post a picture of your cracked screen (some posters seem to have ulterior motives and don't even own a Pre).
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I will question the Sprint rep about this tomorrow. I think a lot of it has to do with the store you're at and who you're working with, regardless of policy. The way their published policy reads for new customers I could exchange it once and, while on unit #2, just do a straight return for a full refund and no contract obligations. For exsisting customers it describes what you're talking about. However, if that's not how it works according to their published policy at the store then I guess I'll be going home without a Pre tomorrow.

No half *** b.s. for me, thank you.
    No, I called sprint and raised hell. They said it was nothing they could do and it is the company policy as a whole. This was a added 3rd line ..when you add a line, it is just like being a new customer because they got you for 2 years on that line.
    Well they did do something for me ..I told them I would cancel because I was pissed. So they put me on sero(my bill went way down) and added the third line to it for free ..so really all I did was pay for the phone. I was happy after that.
    At least some of you are able to exchange it, Im having multiple stores refuse to even look at the phone for exchange since they are so greedy for new sign ups. They keep saying that they are reserved for new activations and exchanges will wait. I've called sprint CS and raised hell when a corporate store told me had two in stock but changed their mind when I found out I was exchanging. Customer service was sympathetic but they cannot force a store what to do and basically I said I could return the phone based on defect and just purchase a brand new one to get the two reserved and they said thats probably what I had to do. This is completely ridiculous, Ive been trying to exchange this thing for 3 days now... sorry just venting heh
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    A phone that is so fragile it breaks in normal use, without being dropped or imnpacted, is defective in manufacture or design, period. I don't know why you keep defending the phone, but there are only two possibilities here: the pohone is defective in design, in which case the problem will get a lot worse, and Palm will go out of business. Or some (hopefully small) number of screens are defective in manufacture, in which case Palm should replace them all for free, and reimburse those who had to pay the deductible.

To even imply this is "normal wear" is absurd, and indefensible. Millions of phones are carried in pockets every day, and breakage is not commonplace nor acceptable.
    Yeah, I carry mine in my pocket every day with no case or pouch with no problems.
    has anyone been able to exchange them at the store? with out using tep? my screen crack is real small before i call insurance i wanna see if they will swap it out
    Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy999 View Post
    I think a 1% or 2% defect rate is acceptable. So, out of 50,000 Pre's sold if 500-1,000 are defective I would say that is normal. On this forum only about a dozen have stated that they have a cracked screen so I am not ready to say Pre screens are defective. You guys are just the unlucky 1%-2%. Let's see if this thread and the number of people with cracked screens grows. Post a picture of your cracked screen (some posters seem to have ulterior motives and don't even own a Pre).
    I won't argue with the above, but Palm and/or Sprint should be replacing these for free, as defective phones. At least some of the posters here have had to pay $100 deductible to assurian, which is just wrong.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    When people have been doing it for years without a problem with other touch screen phones, and then it happens within days of purchasing a new phone, that suggests there is a problem with the new phone. Especially when all the pictures I've see show the cracks starting from the same general location (button/gesture area) and radiating upwards. I haven't seen any horizontal cracks yet, they have all been more or less vertical.

My Centro and Treo 800w were always thrown in my pocket but then again, the touch screen was recessed. Not sure if that gave it extra protection or not.

With the Pre, many of us are sliding the phone open in the general area where the cracks are starting so I have to wonder if that contributes to the problem at all.

Could have been a manufacturing issue. Maybe something got over torqued during assemble and weakened or started a small crack that got worse over time.
    There is nothing wrong with the hardware, like you said the screen is NOT recessed and its a much lighter plastic than most other phones.
    that equals what? keep the phone in a CASE. I love how people blame everything on this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the hardware, like you said the screen is NOT recessed and its a much lighter plastic than most other phones.
    that equals what? keep the phone in a CASE.
    From the reports people have written, most of these cracks aren't happening because they slam into the side of something. Something as simple as sliding your phone open is causing the cracks. If you think that's acceptable, you are delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    I love how people blame everything on this phone.
    And I love the Palm apologists/fanbois that won't accept a possible design flaw or manufacturing defect. Do you work for Palm or do you just worship them?
    Hello everyone,

I am a new member that is going to get a Pre (hopefully early/mid July, possibly as late as September)

I am getting a little worried with the heat/screen discoloration/cracking issues, but I would like to help a little...

I am making a spreadsheet with a list of data that might help determine the cause of this problem, since it does seem to be happening while using the phone normally.

If you could reply with this data or PM me (I am not sure if PMs require 10 posts here or not), that would be great!

Code:
    Replacement cost (if any):
    Days owned:
    Manufactured on:
    Touchstone (Yes/No):
    Significant heat issues (Yes/No):
    Carried in (front pocket, etc.):
    Crack origin:
    Method to open keyboard:
    Other:
    Thanks!