View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    I don't mind touching it through normal use but putting pressure on it while sliding it up seems to be asking for trouble.
    Maybe their reasoning behind this method is that if you press farther away from the button it will disperse the pressure more before the force gets to the button. If that, in fact, is where the problem lies. From the sounds of it, most of the problems seem to be generating from the button. Although, I still haven't decided how I'm going to open it yet.
    Got mine on launch day. Opened it up last thursday and noticed the screen didn't work. I have one internal crack running from the button up the screen. I have spent hours on the phone and 3 trips to sprint stores. No one is willing to help me. I spoke about the reports on this site and others with people experiencing similar problems. All the managers said is that anyone can post on those sites. I asked why many have pictures and that the problems seem to be the same. I have received no answers and feel it's ridiculous to pay the $100 deductable when no abuse occured. Even the technicians stated that no physical damage occured, but my problem had to be classified as physical damage. I loved this phone for the first 5 days, but am tired of getting no answers or help from sprint. I'm running out of options. Currently, I'm trying to get sprint to reimburse the deductable, but that only leaves me with one replacement on insurance as my puppy at my last phone. I'm worried considering I only had the Pre for 5 days. I may try and get my replacment and return it and cancel my service under the 30 day warranty. Does anyone know if this will work or will they find a way to keep my money? Of course, they won't take it back now because of "physical damage."
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey2 View Post
    Got mine on launch day. Opened it up last thursday and noticed the screen didn't work. I have one internal crack running from the button up the screen. I have spent hours on the phone and 3 trips to sprint stores. No one is willing to help me.
    Have you tried contacting Palm at all? Don't know if it would help but you could point them to this thread.
    I wonder if this happened to any of the beta testers for the phone.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

here is my crack

again i haven't dropped the phone it sits in a holster with a screen protector
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I wonder if this happened to any of the beta testers for the phone.
    We are the beta testers.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    . I have received no answers and feel it's ridiculous to pay the $100 deductable when no abuse occured. Even the technicians stated that no physical damage occured, but my problem had to be classified as physical damage.

Got a call form my local sprint store today to pick up my pre, I told them I'm going to pass until this issue is resolved. The sales person said he hasn't seen one returned yet because of it. At a $100 deductible I'll stick with my TrePro with no cracks in my front pants, or back.
    This makes me want to cry *holds pre tightly*
    Quote Originally Posted by cjmedina26 View Post
    here is my crack

again i haven't dropped the phone it sits in a holster with a screen protector
    That's the oddest crack yet.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    We are the beta testers.
    Beat me to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoldat View Post
    This makes me want to cry *holds pre tightly*
    Not TOO tightly

I wonder if these crack issues are from stress of the slider? My slider has a little bit of free play, some more than others, no cracks yet..., but I am wondering, if the phone can be manufactured to be too lose then maybe the slider can also be manufactured too tight.

Thus when you slide the phone it puts high stress on the phone plastic until it crumbles

It seems that the problem is being made by cyclic loading (repeated loading). Thats why I was drawn to think about the slider
    Got mine on launch day. Opened it up last thursday and noticed the screen didn't work. I have one internal crack running from the button up the screen. I have spent hours on the phone and 3 trips to sprint stores. No one is willing to help me. I spoke about the reports on this site and others with people experiencing similar problems. All the managers said is that anyone can post on those sites. I asked why many have pictures and that the problems seem to be the same. I have received no answers and feel it's ridiculous to pay the $100 deductable when no abuse occured. Even the technicians stated that no physical damage occured, but my problem had to be classified as physical damage. I loved this phone for the first 5 days, but am tired of getting no answers or help from sprint. I'm running out of options. Currently, I'm trying to get sprint to reimburse the deductable, but that only leaves me with one replacement on insurance as my puppy at my last phone. I'm worried considering I only had the Pre for 5 days. I may try and get my replacment and return it and cancel my service under the 30 day warranty. Does anyone know if this will work or will they find a way to keep my money? Of course, they won't take it back now because of "physical damage."
    Wow man... what an awful experience. It's sooo... Sprint-like.

Sprint stores are so often completely full of it. It might be easier to work directly with Palm.

Another option folks might want to try is contacting Palm directly. I'm sure there is a phone number somewhere on your box or warranty certificate. I can't find the user, but someone here said they contacted Palm's escalations department. They sent him a brand new Pre with a prepaid box to send the defective unit back in. They'll just get your credit card info incase you don't send the defective unit to them. I'm sure they know they have a problem.... especially since it made the homepage of precentral.com. El cheapo plastic and build quality on too many of these phones.

By the way, just out of curiousity are you a new customer to Sprint or were you just resigning a contract?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    Got a call form my local sprint store today to pick up my pre, I told them I'm going to pass until this issue is resolved. The sales person said he hasn't seen one returned yet because of it. At a $100 deductible I'll stick with my TrePro with no cracks in my front pants, or back.
    Sure, one hasn't been returned because they just say it's your problem...

My store told me none had been returned. For any reason. I had to laugh in the guy's face.

They all lie.
    I have yet to have the screen crack issue problem, but I want to comment on how great Sprint has been to me. My wife had a problem with the USB Port. The first time she opened it it broke. I called the local store manager and he met me at my hometown wal-mart and gave me a brand new phone. Excellent customer service.
    You have to wonder if no one carrying a Pre-release device has any of these issues, because if it were me carrying a beta phone and it cracked without physical miss-use I would do everything I could to halt production and change materials...
  16.    #316  
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    I'm sure they know they have a problem.... especially since it made the homepage of precentral.com.
    Wow, my old phone is famous now!
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    Wow, my old phone is famous now!
    I was wondering if you had noticed that or not
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    Have you tried contacting Palm at all? Don't know if it would help but you could point them to this thread.
    No I haven't contacted palm yet I will try that tomorrow and let everyone know how that goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    That's the oddest crack yet.
    ya the screen works except the the second grid.
    sorry to hear that