View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
  1.    #281  
    Now that this thread has grown, it look likely that front pants pocket carry has nothing to do with the problem - but I didn't know that when I started the thread. There are more than a few posters with the same problem who didn't carry in their pocket.

I'm even tempted to start carrying my replacement phone in my front pocket again.
    I have been carrying my pre in the holster that was at the sprint store opening day. Now I half a crack near the battery icon and its slowly growing. I have a screen protector since day one. The crack doesn't go all the way down
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    ....I'm even tempted to start carrying my replacement phone in my front pocket again.
    I wouldn't go that far
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

The problem is that people think we're doing stuff out of the norm and being careless, let me reiterate, my personal pre was sitting on the desk in its pouch and was pristine the night before having checked email on it. I woke up and took it out of the pouch and saw the small crack slowly growing. I would have no problem if it was my own careless fault, but the coincidence that its coming from where I push the screen up and happening overnight somewhat validates that the screen has a flaw imho.
    I had my pre for exactly 1 week when my girlfriend dropped it and cracked the screen. It was dropped from maybe 2-3 feet (at most), and the fall rendered it completely useless. I am paying for insurance ($7/month), and then I find out that there is a $100 deductible. SURPRISE!!!

Other than the fact that it is extremely fragile, I like the phone. We'll see if I still feel that way when I get it back...
    Does anyone know the location of the vibrate motor? I had a thought one of these past days that the motor might be working with the shotty manufacturing to create the crack without any contact. I know in the 20 minutes between when there was no crack and there was one I had received a text message. Just a thought, anyone care to tell me whether thats even possible?
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatisntseen View Post
    Does anyone know the location of the vibrate motor?
    The vibration motor is next to the camera according to the iFixit.com teardown of the Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by slidez View Post
    The problem is that people think we're doing stuff out of the norm and being careless, let me reiterate, my personal pre was sitting on the desk in its pouch and was pristine the night before having checked email on it. I woke up and took it out of the pouch and saw the small crack slowly growing. I would have no problem if it was my own careless fault, but the coincidence that its coming from where I push the screen up and happening overnight somewhat validates that the screen has a flaw imho.
    Why would you say that? I don't think anyone here who is reporting a cracked screen were careless. I certainly don't think you were careless.

I don't think it's a manufacturing flaw at this point, but that will change if this thread continues to grow.

I do think these new touch screen phones are much more fragile that previous phones. When I had my Treo 700, if I wanted to play catch and didn't have a baseball, my Treo 700 would have worked as a substitute.

I do think carrying this phone in ones front pocket is an issue, since I saw my wife break her screen on her kyocera flip phone that way.

This thread is certainly a warning to other to be more careful with the Pre, and to watch for this happening.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

attached is my picture i have in the main cracked screen post on pre forums under the same forum name

cant post links or images because i dont have 10 posts in so add the normal preface to the following link

img35.imageshack.us/img35/8457/cracked.jpg

the cracks start right at the button. it happened right in front of my own eyes. i put my thumb right on the spot above button to slide open and crink... tiny little cracks at first there were 2, but as i opened the phone more and more, a third one began to creep out. There is no physical damage to the outside of the phone. The majority screen, mainly all the right side does not function to touch anymore. the cracks are not through the highest lvl of material of which your fingers touch. when i press lightly on the button i can see discoloration in the image background.
    Quote Originally Posted by thetruemaddox View Post
    attached is my picture i have in the main cracked screen post on pre forums under the same forum name

cant post links or images because i dont have 10 posts in so add the normal preface to the following link

img35.imageshack.us/img35/8457/cracked.jpg

the cracks start right at the button. it happened right in front of my own eyes. i put my thumb right on the spot above button to slide open and crink... tiny little cracks at first there were 2, but as i opened the phone more and more, a third one began to creep out. There is no physical damage to the outside of the phone. The majority screen, mainly all the right side does not function to touch anymore. the cracks are not through the highest lvl of material of which your fingers touch. when i press lightly on the button i can see discoloration in the image background.
    For this simple fact I am actually going to start opening my phone according to page 31 of the User Guide. I was opening it just like you were and if it cracks like yours did then I think I might have a little bit of ammo towards sprint/palm. I would almost suggest everyone to use the recommended opening method and see if the cracks still develop. Also, do you use a touchstone? Does it feel extremely hot when you charge? When you use internet heavily? Extremely hot is relative so if there is a way to get temperature readings that could be helpful. Were you charging it or using the internet right before it cracked? Sorry this happened as I know it probably is a bummer but any info could be helpful to try and pinpoint this issue.

Also, here is your picture linked. http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8457/cracked.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by thetruemaddox View Post
    the cracks start right at the button. it happened right in front of my own eyes. i put my thumb right on the spot above button to slide open and crink... tiny little cracks at first there were 2, but as i opened the phone more and more, a third one began to creep out.
    That is some great info, sorry it happened to you but it confirms some of our suspicions that opening the slider by using your thumb near the button (a completely natural action) may be what's causing or at least contributing to the cracks.

Bad news for Palm, I think there are going to be many of these. Now, the question is will there be some type of fix? Sprint/Palm better replace these at no charge or it could be one of the final nails in their coffin.

Personally, I'm sliding mine open by pressing up from the bottom edge which isn't the easiest thing to do but hopefully it will prevent mine from getting cracked.

My suggestion is for those that have these issues is to take pictures and post them to as many blogs/forums as you can so it gets noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    For this simple fact I am actually going to start opening my phone according to page 31 of the User Guide.
    Wow...that looks even worse than pressing from the button area. You're putting pressure right in the middle of the display.

For those brave ones out there, try this method and please let us know if you end up cracking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    For those brave ones out there, try this method and please let us know if you end up cracking it.
    lol, not gonna touch that screen too much, huh? I don't blame you, though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    I was looking for this image to post. I remember it and am not sure it's a good idea or not!
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
  15.    #295  
    I just have no idea what to do anymore. I am just going to cross my fingers that it doesn't crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatisntseen View Post
    lol, not gonna touch that screen too much, huh? I don't blame you, though!
    I don't mind touching it through normal use but putting pressure on it while sliding it up seems to be asking for trouble.

I'm wondering where the edge of the plastic ends. How close to the button is it? Maybe pressing above the button is pressing right on the edge of the screen and makes it easier to crack.
    Ive been opening my phone per the instructions (the middle of the screen) and have had no cracks yet.

I also am trying to open it in the center but also offset so the edge of the phone can also support it more (Kinda like when you sit on a car hood, you don't sit in the middle)
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Also, do you use a touchstone? Does it feel extremely hot when you charge? When you use internet heavily? Extremely hot is relative so if there is a way to get temperature readings that could be helpful. Were you charging it or using the internet right before it cracked? Sorry this happened as I know it probably is a bummer but any info could be helpful to try and pinpoint this issue.
    i do not use a touchstone

i had the phone for 4 hours

it happened immediately after unplugging it from sync/charging on my computer for about 2 hours, and then opening. wireless was enabled

it was warm to touch but not hot.
    I do actually think I've opened mine toward the bottom of the screen and pushed up. But not immediately on top of the button. I feel like the touch screen would continue around the button considering the gesture area uses side swipes over the button.