View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
  1.    #241  
    Before this thread gets out of control - please only reply with a date if you DO have the crack problem. Thanks!
    I wanted to check the date for you, but I can't scroll since the screen is non functional. Any other places i might find it?
    well am sure i am he first one it happened 2.
    I bought the phone the same day it came out. So i was loving it, by the time i got home, i noticed a small scratch right, but the phone as still working fine, but since it was a new one, i decided to go back to the store, which i did, and by the time i got there to the time i left,the crack expanded to the entire screen. I was mad and the sprint store wouldn't change it. SO bottom line is i was really not happy with what happened at all. I got my new one already, had to deal with assurion, the insurance company and paid a deductible of $100, now am scared to have it happening to me again. since i see that it happens to a lot of other people since the 7th
  4.    #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatisntseen View Post
    I wanted to check the date for you, but I can't scroll since the screen is non functional. Any other places i might find it?
    Oops. Good point. My screen was partially working even with the crack. I'm not sure, but I think there is a thread here talking about a date sticker, maybe under the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy999 View Post
    I noticed some scuff marks to the right of the crack. I'm just finding it hard to believe it would crack like this without being dropped or without some kind of impact. If 20-25 different members posted pics like this that would convince me of a manufacturer's defect. Thx Slidez. Good luck.
    I dont see any scuff marks, i think you're mistaking the residue from wiping the screen. I can take as many pics as you want, you'll see the outside cover is pristine.
    mine has a small internal crack too. i have it in a case and have a screen protector on it. the screen works no ink leakage. the entire grid thats below it doesn't work
    I've come to the conclusion that as soon as cracks develop and move completely to the outer part of the screen, the touch capability above that region is destroyed. If you have a crack below the gesture area and don't know it, it could render the entire screen useless as mine is.

Also, I can't find a manufacturer's date sticker anywhere on the phone.

cjmedina26, can you please check the date your phone was built?
    No crack. Datecode = 5/22/09

This thread is scaring the crap out of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    No crack. Datecode = 5/22/09

This thread is scaring the crap out of me.
    Not as scary as self-cutting your hair with a Flowbee!
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    small crack right hand corner date code 5/27/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slidez View Post
    What should I retract my posts? I would figure 640x480 pics wouldn't be such a big deal..
    Anywho edited
    I didn't mean the size, I meant the content X-D, hearing about cracked screens is one thing, seeing them is even more horrifying haha

I was just being dramatic when I replied to your post :-P
    It would be good for everyone who's screen cracks for no apparent reason to include the warranty date code (press ##786#). Maybe we can determine if this problem is getting better or, hopefully not, worse.
    Oh that flew passed my head...
    It sucks too because I don't want to keep using my Pre incase it makes the crack worse and theres no where I can readilly exchange it until the stores call me from the wait list. So its just gonna sit here in its pouch on the table for a week probably.
    i had my phone on my desk at work yesterday and when i picked it up to go to lunch it was cracked!!! i did absolutely nothing to it and took the best of care of it (my girlfriend always made fun of me because i did). i was in the middle of doing a insurance claim and realized i should not have to pay for this, so i am not! i'm taking this in to sprint tomorrow! i already talk to sprint CS on the phone just so they can have it noted in there system and calling palm tomorrow!

warranty date is:
    05/20/2009
    cracked showed up:
    06/19/2009
  15.    #255  
    Quote Originally Posted by treblig82 View Post
    i had my phone on my desk at work yesterday and when i picked it up to go to lunch it was cracked!!!
    Can you take some pictures and post or at least describe in detail the cracks, where they start and stop, etc. ? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    Can you take some pictures and post or at least describe in detail the cracks, where they start and stop, etc. ? Thanks!
    i don't have my camera with me but i can send pictures later on tonight. they start from the bottom center button and spread out, one of the cracks goes to the top of the screen! this is my 4th palm and this has never happened to any of them!
    Here's my pre..

18.    #258  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatisntseen View Post
    Here's my pre..
    Looks just like mine did, except I had a few more cracks.
    I got my pre on launch day and it was perfect. I activated a new line on my family share plan since no one was up for an upgrade. I have not been using the pre as my primary phone since i have to wait the 30 days for the $100 mail in rebate. I discovered today that the phone is developing cracks in the gesture area! Light bleeds through when the screen is on. I am really upset. I have not even been using the phone except for playing around and it has not left my office!
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    I don't get how people put phones this expensive in their front pockets unprotected and expect these sort of things to not happen.

Phone in use? in hand
    Phone not in use? on a clean surface or back in leather side case.