View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    I've owned the phone 3 days and I just took it out of my pouch to see a crack crawling up the bottom right. I read this thread prior and didn't think it would happen to me but this is ridiculous. I've owned 5 smartphones and have never seen this happen
    Quote Originally Posted by slidez View Post
    I've owned the phone 3 days and I just took it out of my pouch to see a crack crawling up the bottom right. I read this thread prior and didn't think it would happen to me but this is ridiculous. I've owned 5 smartphones and have never seen this happen
    Seems like poor manufacturing. Unfortunately I've already started the Ascurion process since the sprint guys wouldnt even look at it since its a cracked screen. I'll be calling print and referencing this thread as soon as I'm charged for the replacement.. 6 days, 0 scratches, several cracks from the gesture button.. sounds like a defect to me!
    Holster pouch on your belt? or pouch in your pocket? Addtional info will help. thanks!
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    oh man sorry dude!!
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Holster pouch on your belt? or pouch in your pocket? Addtional info will help. thanks!
    More like sitting on the table its pouch from sleeping last night and waking up to find the crack there. It looks like to me the crack started below the actual viewing portion and spidered its way up. Below the black gesture area you can't see it at all. It definately looks like the glass below the actual face cracked and floated up.

Eh I noticed I wrote right instead of left, but its spidering up where I would push the screen up to expose the keyboard

Eitherway, the screen shouldn't be cracking from normal usage of sliding it up....
    More like sitting on the table its pouch from sleeping last night and waking up to find the crack there. It looks like to me the crack started below the actual viewing portion and spidered its way up. Below the black gesture area you can't see it at all. It definately looks like the glass below the actual face cracked and floated up.

Eh I noticed I wrote right instead of left, but its spidering up where I would push the screen up to expose the keyboard

Eitherway, the screen shouldn't be cracking from normal usage of sliding it up....
    Thanks!
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

This thread scares me, I hope I wont have to shell out a 100 bucks if this happens to me...

EEK

If these are starting in the gesture area, it sounds like it might be the pressure associated with pressing in that spot to slide open the phone. That's the way I open mine anyway - I'm going to try to start opening by pressing down at the edge to hopefully avoid this.
    Its hard to get a replacement too, the stores are greedy for new signups and not willing to part phones. I was on a waiting list and coincidentally they called me today when my screen cracked yesterday. I went in an hour later and they told me they ran out, which makes no sense since I was on the waitlist. I called another store and they told me they wouldnt exchange it and to call Palm *sigh*, eventually I called SprintCS and had them notate my acct to swap out my phone. Now its just waiting for a store to get some in. From the small 1/4 crack that started this morning, it has spidered halfway up the screen now.
    Would you please post a pic of the crack. I want to see what you are talking about. Not that I don't believe you. Thx.
    Eck need one more post for pics....
    Well here goes for people that wanted clearer pics, fortunately my touch screen still is functional other than the crack....

http://www.omggugo.com/irc/pre/precrack1.jpg
    http://www.omggugo.com/irc/pre/precrack2.jpg
    http://www.omggugo.com/irc/pre/precrack3.jpg
    Last edited by slidez; 06/14/2009 at 04:24 AM.
    dont post pictures like that!? it hurts
    What should I retract my posts? I would figure 640x480 pics wouldn't be such a big deal..
    Anywho edited
    I hope a lot of the Palm Pre blogs get ahold of this information and it gets posted all over the net. That's the only way that we can get Sprint/Palm to acknowledge there is an issue and fix it.

People that have these problems should not have to use their insurance for something that is obviously a design or manufacturing problem.
    This really worries me, since I currently carry my Moto-Q phone in my front pants pocket. If I do the same with a Pre, I certainly hope it wouldn't crack the screen. Seems like the Pre has a lot of hardware and quality issues with the first version. I may have to wait a bit before jumping into the Pre/Sprint Arena.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    I noticed some scuff marks to the right of the crack. I'm just finding it hard to believe it would crack like this without being dropped or without some kind of impact. If 20-25 different members posted pics like this that would convince me of a manufacturer's defect. Thx Slidez. Good luck.
  18.    #238  
    For anyone new to this thread with a cracked screen (and those of you that still have your phone with the cracked screen) - can you post your date of manufacture?

Just enter ##786# in the phone application, scroll down to "Warrantydatecode".
    Mine has not cracked but I wanted to post the date just to compare to the others: Warranty Date: 5/17/09
    No crack.

May 27, 2009