View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

    645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

    90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

    398 35.13%
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 757
  1. #201  
    I too have the same crack that you all seem to have. Crack was not there at 7 pm and then at 8 pm after sitting on table the crack is there. The crack starts from the button or black portion and travels up. I went to sprint store and manager said he would "look" into it. I used my insurance should get new phone within 5 days. I have to say i am pretty dissapointed that sprint is not recognizing this as manufactures defect. The manager admitted that phone did not look abused and that he had never seen crack that started like this. He called up sprint repair center and they claimed it was the first they heard of it. I directed him to the forums that have talked about the issue. He did tell me that if Sprint were to start giving replacements that i would be reimbursed my deductable. We will have to wait and see with that i guess.
  2.    #202  
    Well, I'm pretty sure now that this has nothing to do with carrying in my front pocket.

    I wonder if there are some parts of the screen that are scrwed to the case, and those screws were tightened too much, resulting in these cracks "magically" appearing over time.
  3. bamf1500's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #203  
    well after the first pre with the broken volume button, and the second pre where the screen cracked in the firs six hours of the in store exchange, i recieved my new pre from insurance (by the way if you spend the time on the phone sprint will credit the $100 if youve been with them for a while) and what do u know now i have the little discoloration at the bottom of the screen but i guess i can live with that for now. I feel palm really needs to up their cust service and offer some sort of compensation espesially because as a small busisness owner my phone is money and ive had a week from hell with phones 3 PRES IN 5 DAYS i guess thats not to bad
  4. #204  
    Why on earth would you put up with THAT...as another business customer, I would have ditched the Pre by now and waited until Palm get's its act together...you are far too patient...
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
  5. drudawg's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #205  
    I just had a crack magically appear on my Pre. I have been more than extra careful with it. I goes into my Spring holster to the touchstone. I was talking on it and when I hung up I saw the crack. It is very slight and hard to feel. It is not really noticable to anyone else but to me it is as large as the panama canal. I have Best Buys equipment plan. They suggested that I sign up for Sprint's TEP and file a claim with them and pay $100 to have it replaced. HELL NO!! I'm concerned that it is going to get longer and really cause issues.
  6. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #206  
    Call me a sucker but... it's a totally new device: new hardware, new software, not tested in the wild. So, I paid the $7/mo for insurance. I figured I could drop the insurance after I felt comfortable that the thing wasn't going to fall apart on me.

    I may be a couple marbles short of a full house but this one seemed obvious to me.
  7. #207  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Call me a sucker but... it's a totally new device: new hardware, new software, not tested in the wild. So, I paid the $7/mo for insurance. I figured I could drop the insurance after I felt comfortable that the thing wasn't going to fall apart on me.

    I may be a couple marbles short of a full house but this one seemed obvious to me.
    I did too but I dont think physical damage or defects are covered by the insurance.
  8. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinaltman View Post
    I did too but I dont think physical damage or defects are covered by the insurance.
    I think that's exactly what's covered by the insurance.

    Phone Protection Solutions

    Total Equipment Protection
    Combines the features and benefits of our Equipment Replacement Program and Equipment Service & Repair Program. Click here to see why Total Equipment Protection is your best equipment protection value.
    To be eligible for Total Equipment Protection, you must add it within 30 days of activating your phone or Mobile Broadband Card.

    * The fee for Total Equipment Protection is $7 per phone, smartphone or mobile broadband card per month.
    * Monthly coverage program offering comprehensive service, repair and replacement.
    * You have the right to cancel your coverage at any time without penalty. If you choose to cancel, the change will be effective immediately.

    You may sign up for either program separately if you prefer. Click the Coverage Certificate and Service Contract links below for details.

    Equipment Service & Repair Program
    Coverage for failure from normal wear and tear and out-of-warranty mechanical and electrical failure.

    * The fee for the program is $4 per phone, smartphone or mobile broadband card per month.
    * The Sprint Equipment Service & Repair Program does not cover damage beyond repair, liquid damage, cosmetic damage, or damage resulting from customer misuse or abuse.
    * Repair and service are available at more than 1,400 Sprint Phone Repair Centers.
    * Replacement equipment may be the same or comparable equipment—like kind or quality—with similar features as your original equipment. Replacement may be refurbished, reconditioned or different from your original phone or mobile broadband card.
    * For full terms and conditions: Equipment Service & Repair Program Contract.

    Equipment Replacement Program
    Coverage for lost or stolen devices, as well as devices with liquid or physical damage.

    * The fee for the program is $4 per phone, smartphone or mobile broadband card per month.
    * There is a $50 or $100 non-refundable deductible per approved claim depending on the device.
    * File your replacement request within 60 days of the loss, theft or damage.
    * You can have up to three approved claims for loss, theft, physical or liquid damage within any consecutive 12 months.
    * Replacement equipment may be the same or comparable equipment—like kind or quality—with similar features as your original equipment. Replacement may be refurbished, reconditioned or different from your original phone or mobile broadband card.
    * For full terms and conditions: Equipment Replacement Program Coverage Certificate.
  9. #209  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I think that's exactly what's covered by the insurance.

    Phone Protection Solutions

    Total Equipment Protection
    Combines the features and benefits of our Equipment Replacement Program and Equipment Service & Repair Program. Click here to see why Total Equipment Protection is your best equipment protection value.
    To be eligible for Total Equipment Protection, you must add it within 30 days of activating your phone or Mobile Broadband Card.

    * The fee for Total Equipment Protection is $7 per phone, smartphone or mobile broadband card per month.
    * Monthly coverage program offering comprehensive service, repair and replacement.
    * You have the right to cancel your coverage at any time without penalty. If you choose to cancel, the change will be effective immediately.

    You may sign up for either program separately if you prefer. Click the Coverage Certificate and Service Contract links below for details.

    Equipment Service & Repair Program
    Coverage for failure from normal wear and tear and out-of-warranty mechanical and electrical failure.

    * The fee for the program is $4 per phone, smartphone or mobile broadband card per month.
    * The Sprint Equipment Service & Repair Program does not cover damage beyond repair, liquid damage, cosmetic damage, or damage resulting from customer misuse or abuse.
    * Repair and service are available at more than 1,400 Sprint Phone Repair Centers.
    * Replacement equipment may be the same or comparable equipment—like kind or quality—with similar features as your original equipment. Replacement may be refurbished, reconditioned or different from your original phone or mobile broadband card.
    * For full terms and conditions: Equipment Service & Repair Program Contract.

    Equipment Replacement Program
    Coverage for lost or stolen devices, as well as devices with liquid or physical damage.

    * The fee for the program is $4 per phone, smartphone or mobile broadband card per month.
    * There is a $50 or $100 non-refundable deductible per approved claim depending on the device.
    * File your replacement request within 60 days of the loss, theft or damage.
    * You can have up to three approved claims for loss, theft, physical or liquid damage within any consecutive 12 months.
    * Replacement equipment may be the same or comparable equipment—like kind or quality—with similar features as your original equipment. Replacement may be refurbished, reconditioned or different from your original phone or mobile broadband card.
    * For full terms and conditions: Equipment Replacement Program Coverage Certificate.
    Yeah, it seems you are correct. It clearly says liquid and physical damage. When I was at Sprint a customer next to me asked if the insurance covers if they drop phone and the rep said no. I added insurance anyways but assumed the rep was right. Now Im even happier knowing I am covered.
  10. #210  
    mine is broken in the same way. Got a text and checked it 9on my bed). the scvreen is cracked all the way to the top and is ver broad. It's only really functional across the right edge, and I've gotta go through the insurance people according to my sprint store.. This is annoying, I plan on calling up customer service once i pay for the replacement so that I can raise a ruckus and get my money back! I really don't want to wait a week to re-replace my damn HTC Touch.
  11.    #211  
    What are we up to now, 10+ people on this thread with the exact same problem?

    Looks like we are adding 2 or 3 per day...
  12. Duo
    Duo is offline
    Duo's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    #212  
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    What are we up to now, 10+ people on this thread with the exact same problem?

    Looks like we are adding 2 or 3 per day...
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...nside-out.html
  13. hova's Avatar
    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #213  
    This is ridiculous, I had the same crack on my phone yesterday!!! I filed the claim today. Hopefully I can get my replacement in 2 days.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
  14. #214  
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    This is ridiculous, I had the same crack on my phone yesterday!!! I filed the claim today. Hopefully I can get my replacement in 2 days.
    How did it happen? How were you carrying it? That will help
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  15. #215  
    IF my screen cracks I'll be printing out this thread and taking it with me to the Sprint store where I bought the phone. I'm starting to get concerned as I see this thread grow each day.
  16. #216  
    I'm wondering if using the slider contributes to the problem in any way.
  17. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    I'm wondering if using the slider contributes to the problem in any way.

    Downward pressure as people push it up?
  18. hova's Avatar
    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #218  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    How did it happen? How were you carrying it? That will help
    I had it in my pocket and I think I must have bumped into something. I pulled it out to use it and saw the screen. I first called ASURION for a replacement and they were in the process of finishing my claim when a friend said to call sprint because I might not have to pay. So I called sprint and they said I should just go into the store and exchange it because it's under the 30 days. DON'T CALL ASURION FIRST. CALL SPRINT. Hope that helps anybody else that this happens to.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
  19. papla's Avatar
    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    #219  
    yea..by just looking at the phone..you could tell it's fragile
  20. rburna's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    This seems to vary from Sprint store to Sprint store. I've been told that if it's within 30 days you can exchange it for any reason. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure someone here posted an email from Customer Care saying the same thing. Physical damage and all.

    Email customer care and see what they say. If they say you can exchange it, print the email off and take it to your Sprint store.

    *edit*

    Well I just got confirmation from Customer Care... Apparently the Sprint repair/store will determine if the defect was physical damage or from a defect... Gee I wonder which they'll pick. Physical damage is not covered in 30 days unless it was cause by a defect.

    I just came back from the sprint store, and they have me on a wait list for exchanging the Pre. I told them I was considering switching over from VZW (honestly) and maybe that helped a bit. The sales guy took it into the back so that their tech could check it out, probably to see if there was any accidental damage (droppage, etc) and they probably confirmed that its still in good shape, with exception of the crack.

    I'll take some pix of the crack when i get the chance, as it's different than the cracked screen that everyone seems to be having.

    I feel relieved for the most part. I really like WebOS a lot. Majority of the pull to keep this phone is WebOS itself. The Pre as a physical phone, is about 70% satisfactory in my book.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions